Audio Editing Software..Which one to choose?

ps3guru03

Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
742
Well, I have a home studio that is almost complete, so all it needs to be completed is a audio editing software to run on the MAC. (OSX)

I have googled many audio editing software for the MAC and results were...
-Pro-Tools
-Logic Pro
-Garageband

Which one to choose, or can you recommend me one that is not on the list?

PS - I went to a couple of recording studios here in ATL and found that they use Pro-Tools. Looks like a nice program. :D Also, anybody know someone here in the ATL that owns a recording studio?
 
Choosing an audio editing software package isn't too hard - all are improving and generally the difference with them are certain strengths that each of them have.

Logic Audio is the de-facto choice on OSX, offers intuitive navigation and has huge libraries of soundfiles and vsts. I really think of this as the nicest overall sequencer.

Garageband is a lighter version but is still capable.

Pro-tools is the industry standard and in audio engineering I found it really fluid and easy to work with - it is especially good with audio however doesn't offer the midi levels of support Logic, Cubase and Sonar offer.

Those three serve many well known musicians and it can almost be seen as a intel vs amd battle - all will most likely serve you well, choosing one comes down to preference in the layout and workflow each has.

I personally would work out what you want to do - if you are doing straight audio editing then you may not need a full on sequencer like Logic, Cubase or Sonar and instead something like Garageband or Ableton Live! might suit.

If you are going to be using electronics more then having good midi support might be important enough to use the Logic, Cubase or Sonar sequencers. Pro-tools is overkill for now - if you are starting you won't be limited by any of the other programs listed and will save some coin :)

The best thing to try doing is finding lite or demo versions of Cubase, Logic and Sonar. On OSX I would really be going for Logic as many people get Macs just for this. There is a lite version of Logic available, and there are education packages out there for Logic - be wary of upgrade limitations on the education packs.

If you are thinking more about electronics I also recommend having a fiddle with reason - there is a really basic sequencer and you get to play with a virtual studio of samplers, drum machines, synths and effects units. Great fun and really good for developing a practical understanding of electronic music composition and tools for it.

Someone else will most likely come in and have some other comments, hopefully some of my rambling helps you though. The best bet is figure out what you really want to do, and get the package that suits.

My gut feeling is try the lighter Logic Audio as it will not be too much and will give you a fantastic sequencer to learn and play with.

Good luck!
 
Just remember that Pro Tools (no hyphen) can only be run on Digidesign-authorized hardware, including their own hardware (currently the Mbox 2, mini and Pro, the 002 and the 003, MixPlus TDM and HD TDM systems) and certain qualified M-Audio interfaces. Essentially, if you want to run Pro Tools, you need to use specific interfaces.

There are good reasons to use Pro Tools, but there are also good reasons to use Logic. It depends almost entirely on the specifics of your needs, your workflow and your budget. It's also important to understand that there are software limitations of Digidesign interfaces.

And, just so we're clear, are you looking for a dedicated DAW, or do you just need an audio editor? The two types of software are completely different animals. If you want a good editor, my recommendation is Bias Peak.
 
Thx for your suggestions. They were really helpful. :)

I will be using the programs to make songs and edit audio such as samples. I will also be hooking up devices such as an MPC, MIDI keyboard and other future devices. So I am actually looking to get a audio editor/sequencer program.

I took a look Logic Pro and found it interesting, but it's kinda of complicated to me. I have never used a program like that. And if I want pro-tools, I will have to buy a digi-design or M-audio device to run it..right? Also, at the recording studio, they told me that you must have some special type of USB key to run the pro-tools? Why is that?
 
I took a look Logic Pro and found it interesting, but it's kinda of complicated to me. I have never used a program like that.
Both Pro Tools and Logic Pro are complicated. They're both substancially difficult for a person to master, but they're also both fairly easy to get started with.

And if I want pro-tools, I will have to buy a digi-design or M-audio device to run it..right? Also, at the recording studio, they told me that you must have some special type of USB key to run the pro-tools? Why is that?
Ack, too many hyphens again.

The USB key is called an iLok key. The base Digidesign interfaces don't require them, but the iLok is required for most plug-ins (such as those that come with the "Factory" bundles, and these bundles ship with an iLok). Essentially, it's a mean of authorizing plug-ins, but it's also possible to use an iLok emulator.

It's not that bad. Stick the thing in a port on your keyboard and that's it. I've never encountered issues with them, and it's just a means for Digidesign to have some control over plug-in piracy.
 
I'll preface this by saying that I am an admitted Pro Tools fanbo...er...almost forgot about the forum censor--you get the picture, so take what I say here with a grain of salt.

I've worked in the pro audio industry for quite a few years and have used lots of different audio production suites, and have found that I like Pro Tools the best. I found it to be the most intuitive option that allowed me to get the job done without making things overly complicated. Granted, as a platform it is far from easy to master the nuances of, but you deal with the same thing with almost any option out there. Of all the solutions I tried, Pro Tools had the least amount of things it stuck in my face that in the end were superfluous and just it just let me sit down and get the job done. (The fact that it is the industry standard for almost any professional audio recording has to mean something, too. :-P)

MIDI support has never been Pro Tools' strongest point, but Digidesign dramatically enhanced MIDI support with Pro Tools 7; give it a try, I think you'll like it. Either way, don't let MIDI make or break your decision one way or the other, especially since it sounds like MIDI is only going to be a small portion of what you're going to be doing anyway.

Remember, above all this has to be your choice, and is a pretty significant investment any way you go (especially with Pro Tools). Don't make your decision until you've spent quite a bit of time with each option so you know how each of their nuances are going to effect your work.

Oh, here are two basic kits that have pretty much everything you would need to get started so you can see what their price range is:
You can learn a lot at Digidesign's website, too...

The USB key is called an iLok key. The base Digidesign interfaces don't require them, but the iLok is required for most plug-ins (such as those that come with the "Factory" bundles, and these bundles ship with an iLok). Essentially, it's a mean of authorizing plug-ins, but it's also possible to use an iLok emulator.

It's not that bad. Stick the thing in a port on your keyboard and that's it. I've never encountered issues with them, and it's just a means for Digidesign to have some control over plug-in piracy.

Great answer.

To the OP: Complicated answers aside, it's just a means of hardware authenticatication for plug-ins. Very simple--nothing to it. [iLok's website]
 
You can also snag an Mbox 2 for around $349 from The MIDI Store (and others) if you're a student or educator. At $349, the Mbox 2 is a tremendous value. At the $449...not so much, but it's still not too bad.
 
Before I begin, I again thank all of you for your well explained suggestions! :)

Well, after yall have informed me about the Mbox 2, I think that may be my choice, but I still got some digging to do like yall said. I will be taking a look at the Digidesign website.

If you have more suggestions, please feel free to post them.
 
dunno about the mac.. but as far as audio "creation," I use Ableton Live 6 and it's pretty intuitive, stable, and pretty flexible. As far as true audio "editing" software ... I have been using Soundforge for the past few years without complaint.
 
dunno about the mac.. but as far as audio "creation," I use Ableton Live 6 and it's pretty intuitive, stable, and pretty flexible. As far as true audio "editing" software ... I have been using Soundforge for the past few years without complaint.

Yea...I have Soundforge 8 installed on my Windows XP PC. Since I now am running the MAC mainly for any audio related thing I do, I looking to get a program that will be right for the MAC and the studio.
 
You may want to try the MAC version of Reaper...it is relatively inexpensive and works with a variety of soundcards. It is very good and in my opinion better than Pro-Tools, and I've used Pro-Tools and didn't like the interface that much.
 
Back
Top