• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio edit question

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
2FA
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
1,314
Hello. I have a few programs that can edit audio. I have had a question for a long time. I'll try to simplify it:

I have three separate sounds: A, B, C
I also have them combined: ABC
Can I take one of the separate sounds and subtract or isolate it from the combined sound if the combined sound is totally unaltered from the three combined sounds?
So like take B and make it from ABC to AC.

I'm guessing not, but there's still a lot of tools and areas in audio editing that I'm still not familiar with. Just wondering.
 
Yes you can. The way the waves work if you have ABC then the waveforms are a combination of all three atany point. So if you subtract C from the original that you shall just be left with A and B. Its not always perfect for many reasons, and usually depends on how close the waves are to one another. Programs like Izotope Rx are good for this kind of thing. Its quite old, but goldwaves clipboard function (i've forgotten the name of it) is great for that too. I use that lots when remixing other peoples work using the backing track to isolate the vocals from the full track when I dont have seperate chanels. One problem you might find is if anything like compression has been applied because the sound got louder when combined and went above digital 0dB.
 
the trick to doing this is you take for example track C and invert the phase and then combine it with ABC, what will happen is when the C portion of ABC is positive the inverted track C will be negative effectively cancelling out that portion. hopefully that helps.
 
Back
Top