Audio device switcher for Windows 7

Been a long-time user of this. Appreciate it.

However, with v2.0 if I hide some devices, it crashes and won't run again until I uninstall/delete it and don't hide the devices?

Sorry for the bump. I've been trying to get the SirWest version of this to run, having no luck at all. Version 1.42 crashes as soon as I click on the icon, with this Windows exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Windows\system32\2hps.ico'.

Version 2.0 RC2 crashes with a "stopped working" dialog which names System.IO.FileNotFoundException
as Problem Signature 09, with the problem event name CLR20r3. Unfortunately, the debug version 404's.

I'm on win7 64-bit and have .Net 4.0 Client and .Net 4.0 Extended installed. Also tried running both as admin. Strangely, the original version of this at the start of the thread works fine though!

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this one when I was looking for functionality exactly like this. Good work!

Thanks for the app it works great!

Something is not working as I had hoped.

So if I am playing some media with VLC and change the playback with your switcher than it works great. If I am watching a YouTube video in Firefox and try to change the playback, I need to restart Firefox for it to take effect. Does anyone know a way around this?

I have Windows 8.1, and Firefox 26.

Don't suppose there is a program/script that could also change between Stereo mode and 5.1 Surround for the same device? Mine always reverts to 5.1 Surround on reboot, but i would like it to stay in Stereo mode.

This looks like my kind of tool, but I think OP's link broke and I can't find a mirror.

Can someone get me a new download?

As an alternative, autohotkey + script works pretty well. A quick hot key changes my audio device

From page 3 of the thread. It's what I'm using currently.

I have used your app as a base for an open-source project called AudioSwitch - it has some more good features which are useful - check it out:
audioswitch.googlecode.com
demo.png

Credits go to OP for nice GUI development ;)

Reading your thread definitely gives me the impression that you may be the one that can point me in the right direction...even write me a couple scripts (for a fee, of course) to perform accordingly...

I have an audio stream from a cable music channel that plugs directly into my Realtek HD Audio card on a windows 7 64 bit box. Whatever appears or emulates from this pc gets shared with our community via our community cable channel. Normally, this is the audio in, mentioned above, and a PowerPoint slideshow. However, using a scheduler, we often launch a batch file to play prerecorded videos like bod meetings, town halls meetings, commercials, etc. We are attempting to migrate from an xp32/creative sound card to 7-64/realtek. In the xp/creative world the driving batch file would do 3 things, invoke a utility called muteon.exe, launch the mplayer/video, when over, lastly run muteoff.exe. These mutes do not work in 7. They are compiled so they can not be examined. But what they accomplished was to mute the music/line in thus allowing the video's audio to go out and when the video was over then reverse the process. Without the mute capability, both audio streams go out on top of each other. Not good. I thought I was on to something with a utility called 'nircmd' mutesysvolume [0 1 2] however it muted everything. No sound from either source. The utilities will enable the automation of the audio switching back and forth...with no human intervention. They need to be command line calls to allow us to batch them.

So, what I need is a script/program to mute the physical line in allowing the wmplayer output to proceed. And a script/program to unmute it.

If you believe you can assist me. Send me email. We'll talk tofu...;) And I'll supply all the additional information you may need. Thank you...either way.

Last edited:
thanks for this thread and the app.... just installed it and it works great on W8.1 x64

this really should be included in the driver software that logitech has for their USB headphones.....

Is there anything special I need to do to make this work with Win 8.1 x64?

I get these two errors in the eventlog when I try and run it.

Code:
Application: AudioSwitch.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader, System.String, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents)
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.IO.TextReader)
   at AudioSwitch.Classes.Settings.Load()
   at AudioSwitch.Classes.Program.Main(System.String[])

Code:
Faulting application name: AudioSwitch.exe, version: 2.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x529edff1
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17278, time stamp: 0x53eeb460
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00012f71
Faulting process ID: 0x57c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfd04ea874097f
Faulting application path: C:\Portable Apps\AudioSwitch\AudioSwitch.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: e6541d4e-3c41-11e4-829b-10c37b6d51a2
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

.Net Framework 4 / 4.5.1 is included with Windows 8.1, so I don't need to install that.

does this work on 8.1?!

I use Set Sound Device in combination with Autohotkey. Set Sound Device creates a shortcut that you can double click to open and it will switch the audio device that's linked to that shortcut. So using Autohotkey, you make a script to set a key combination to open that file instead of clicking it. Works perfect on Windows 8.1.

Edit: Looking back, it looks like I just made a script in Autohotkey and created a .exe with it that opens the shortcut and I run the .exe through a macro on the F7-F8 keys on my keyboard.

Last edited:
Literally just thinking about having something like this and poof.. here it is! awesome.

Funny how lazy people are. This program saves the user 3 clicks of the mouse yet it feels so nice to have. I'm 'guilty' of this too. Goes to show how important a logical UI is for the user experience. I'm looking at you microsoft

I really liked the original app over all the others. Simple and useful. So I have re-uploaded it here. Thanks!

Attachments

• AudioSwitcher.zip
    34.3 KB · Views: 299
Can't remember which site I saw this on, but I think this was an addition in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. If you click on your speaker icon, there's now an arrow above the volume slider that you can click on to expand and select your audio device.

Nice work. It's fun to think that OP may have influenced Microsoft to implement this.
switcher.PNG

Why didn't I catch this thread years ago??!!??

Thanks for bumping it fellas!

Just dled the final version 2.1.3.0. I'll def be testing it out sometime soon....

Can't remember which site I saw this on, but I think this was an addition in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. If you click on your speaker icon, there's now an arrow above the volume slider that you can click on to expand and select your audio device.

Nice work. It's fun to think that OP may have influenced Microsoft to implement this.
View attachment 7464
Do you know if there's a keyboard shortcut to cycle through the outputs?

I made a program for Windows 7 to make it easier to switch between audio output devices and thought I would share. It really bugged me that you needed so many clicks to change audio devices.

My goal was to make it look like the Windows 7 flyout widget programs like when you click the volume icon. When you open the program it will add an icon to your system tray that when clicked will list your audio device. Click on a device and it will be changed to your preferred playback device. I am pretty new to C#, but it works on the few people i shared it with. If you open it in anything but Windows 7 it will crash because I am using a new Windows 7 API to get the system tray icon location and I am too lazy to make a warning popup.

Nk2P0.jpg

You can download it here

If anyone has a better hosting site let me know, never really had to host a zip file before.

Credit goes to this guy for figuring out the undocumented API for setting prefered audio devices http://www.daveamenta.com/2011-05/p...e-default-sound-playback-device-in-windows-7/. I just made it into a DLL and gave it a pretty front end.

hello mate! Thanks for this eh! It's been bugging me for ages the amount of clicks required to carry out such a simple task!

I'm trying to get this to start with windows. I've tried two ways.

1) Copying the executable file into the start up folder
2) Creating a short cut to the executable file and copying that into the start up folder.

I'm stuck now as in both cases, the below is what happens...

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: switcher.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4ec6f48b
Problem Signature 04: switcher
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ec6f48b
Problem Signature 07: 1c
Problem Signature 08: d
Problem Signature 09: System.DllNotFoundException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Back