Audi R8 Wins 2016 World Performance Car Award

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What’s up with the grille? Will sports cars look like speeding Bluetooth speakers in the future?

The big reveal was the world premiere of the R8 Spyder—a roofless version of the V10 supercar that looked rather good under the lights in its bright yellow paint. The Spyder was joined by three other R8s: a couple of the souped-up R8 V10 Plus models (identifiable via the naked carbon fiber rear wing and other carbon fiber addenda) and a "regular" R8 V10—if any car with 540 hp (397kW) capable of 199mph (320km/h) can be said to be regular. And the R8 took home some honors, winning the title of 2016's World Performance Car.

Wonder how it does on the Top Gear test track. That is, if Top Gear was around.

Wonder how it does on the Top Gear test track. That is, if Top Gear was around.

Top Gear is around. It's not like the show was cancelled. It'll have different hosts. They've been filming for a while now. Matt LeBlanc is part of it...which seems weird, but he supposedly likes cars.

Top Gear is around. It's not like the show was cancelled. It'll have different hosts. They've been filming for a while now. Matt LeBlanc is part of it...which seems weird, but he supposedly likes cars.

Top Gear is dead in the water without the original hosts. This is not just my opinion but the opinion of many hard core Top Gear fans. I will not watch the new Top Gear, F the BBC....

Top Gear will live on. Sure, it'll definitely lose a lot of fan base, but it'll be around. No different than original Top Gear.

The new R8 doesn't have any soul. The original was a much more beautiful car.
Matt LeBlanc is an avid car collector and driver. I think he'll be a good host.

I hate car news without the Top Gear guys.

And Chris Evans will destroy Top Gear. Matt L is great, I wish he ended up on Amazon with the other three.

Top Gear is dead in the water without the original hosts. This is not just my opinion but the opinion of many hard core Top Gear fans. I will not watch the new Top Gear, F the BBC....

Clarkson, May, and Hammond are doing a new show for Amazon Prime that is supposed to be out towards the end of the year. It won't be called "Top Gear" but it was the combination of those 3 that made Top Gear great in the first place so it will probably be good. :)

/Not sure if it's an asthetics thing, or a perfomance related concession. Cooling and aerodynamics are two of the most engineered design elements of a high performance production vehicle. The DRIVE Channel has a series called "Engineered" where they talk about it.

It's definitely an aesthetics thing. Audi can easily design a different front end to meet cooling needs without having that massive ugly grill. Also if you look, 1/4rd of it is blocked off anyways and then it's designed to have a license plate to block off even more. It's no different than other Audis out there with giant grills.

Yes, cooling is very important to a car, but too much cooling is also bad. There is a certain temperature range that your engine will be at it's most efficient or at it's highest performance. You don't want to be above or below that. Not to mention you don't want a lot of air going into the car and then under it. You want it to flow over the car to push it down. Course much like cooling, you don't want all of it going over either, as then you're introducing drag. Everything is a balancing act when it comes to consumer sports cars.

For a full blown race car, then there's a whole lot less balancing. You just adjust the car to meet the track.

4779726_the-2016-audi-r8-v10-plus-looks-great-in_e76d5795_m.jpg

Back