Audeze Maxwell

I would buy one today I found one set for sale but it's the X-Box version. I think it would be worth it for a Plannar Magnetic that won't break on you like Hifiman tend to based on reviews.

I would buy one today I found one set for sale but it's the X-Box version. I think it would be worth it for a Plannar Magnetic that won't break on you like Hifiman tend to based on reviews.
My Drop/Hifiman HE-5XX has stood up well for 3yrs as my daily driver on my PC. But I'm considering these as I'd like to own a pair of closed backs for when things are noiser.

This guy really likes them says it blows the Steel series Nova Pro out of the water same price.

I have a pair of these out for Delivery today =)
I don't think they will top my VZR Heaphones but we'll see since these have really good clarity and separation I got the Playstation version in the mail ordered from Hi Fi Heaven in Green Bay. I did alot of reserching on Cancer and Bluetooth Headphones I don't think I have anything to worry about. Plus I don't plan to use them everyday I guess Cellphone radiation is much worse. From what I read the Software is a must use for tuning these which is just equalizer software. I might Sell my VZR Headphones if these blow the VZRs out of the water my main complain about the VZRs is the design of them and the ear pads are warm sound is awesome though.

Just what I suspected your songs will sound flat but every detail stands out you play any type of electronic music this thing is a seizure.
I just have it plugged in USB not wireless at the moment don't even think it came with instructions.

The Aux cable sound not as digital not sure if it's better I have my IFI Amp almost all the way turned up plus Power Match to get sound sound out of them vs: USB doesn't sound nearly as digital with the Aux cable going though my Ifi Dac.

Last edited:
The USB sounds better without bypassing whatever it uses to decode stuff sound really clear in songs vocals you can pick apart stuff that was muddy before with other stuff think this is just Plannar Magnetics by default.

Some games sound ok I mean Dead Space Remake you can hear stuff but Bass like the kick of the cannon ibut you can hear Ambient stuff better.
Tried Sniper Elite 5 which is like the clarity king you can even focus on the reload sound of the guns the headphones are that good. I'm not sure you want to do that though.

Last edited:
Replaced the stock bad with Gel Cooled Brainwavz much cooler listening experience don't notice any difference.
Also own a set of Dekonis but they are on my Phillips X3s. Picked up a set of Brainwavz for my VZRs kinda worried they won't fit but the makers of them said Beyerdynamic DR770s work with them.

I purchased a pair of these recently because I've been having to come back into the office. I did a lot of research before deciding on them. I use them as my daily office driver for both work meetings and music listening. They're a bit uncomfortable due to how limited the headband adjustment options are. The sound quality is pretty phenomenal, though, and I don't think I could trade them for anything that's another wireless headset after hearing them. By comparison, I reckon every gaming headset is pretty much a crappy mess with utter lack of detail. Contrary to many reviewers, I do not like any of the special EQ curves. I tried Immersive out but ended up going back to default. I do think that some frequencies feel a little recessed on these, but I didn't notice a real improvement in the ones that I didn't enjoy the presentation of, when using that preset. I might make a custom EQ curve for it at some point.

My main complaint is that it doesn't have Bluetooth and Dongle mixing. You can only do one or the other at a time. It's kind of annoying, but I deal with it since it's not like I'm in a meeting all the time or something. Another minor gripe is that the noise cancellation isn't that amazing (not the mic noise cancellation; that actually is amazing; I mean the one for your own listening). But yeah I still can't go to any other headset after hearing these.

They pick up everything in games you can hear the mumbling of the crowd in Pathfinder at the Inn. I do like the VZRs better though they have more Bass. The people on Headfi really like the VZR model 1 thread just think the design is ugly but it's aquired.

I'm not sure why he hooked his Maxwells up to an amplifier. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do that with these.

In case anyone purchases these, I had been looking around for an economical case that fit them well and stumbled upon a Reddit thread that recommended this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WJJKXM2
It's only $20 and fits them sort of like a glove, so it minimizes space used in the backpack or whatever bag you take to work with you. I've been tossing them in my backpack with this case on them for weeks and haven't had any issues. The dongle and microphone just sort of tuck in the middle nicely. It's $10 cheaper than the one that Audeze recommends themselves, and looks a bit less bulky to me.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not sure why he hooked his Maxwells up to an amplifier. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do that with these.

In case anyone purchases these, I had been looking around for an economical case that fit them well and stumbled upon a Reddit thread that recommended this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WJJKXM2
It's only $20 and fits them sort of like a glove, so it minimizes space used in the backpack or whatever bag you take to work with you. I've been tossing them in my backpack with this case on them for weeks and haven't had any issues. The dongle and microphone just sort of tuck in the middle nicely. It's $10 cheaper than the one that Audeze recommends themselves, and looks a bit less bulky to me.

Oddly I haven't been able to find out what the Ohms rating is for the analog AUX nput. But given the cans are powered... you likely don't need to feed them much of any power. So, if he didn't crank it... should've been fine.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think my current main annoyance with these headphones is the sleep timeout. It goes to sleep far too fast for my liking, considering it has an 80 hour battery life. It often takes me a bit to get my phone out and everything set up at work, and then I find out that the headset turned off. It also seems to turn off based on incoming input being blank, but ignores microphone input. I was on a call with a coworker earlier, talking the entire time while screen sharing as they watched, and it went to sleep. This auto off "feature" is becoming a real thorn in my side. I can turn off my headset myself, thanks... at least set it to like 30 mins or something...

The other thing is that it's very awkward at juggling connections, so if I was initially on my phone doing Bluetooth for music, according to documentation it should prioritize the dongle after the dongle is plugged in. However, that's not the case. I usually have to turn off bluetooth on my phone for a second to just force it to disconnect, otherwise I don't get input or output on the laptop.

I still love this headset and use it daily, but these two issues are a bit annoying.

First-in-Class Bluetooth 5.3 supports LE Audio, LC3plus, LDAC
Class-Leading High-Resolution Audio up to 24-bit/96kHz

Does this mean the audio is not compressed on the way from the computer to the headphones, like in previous less expensive stuff?
As I understand, BT audio was lossy - did that change?

Does this mean the audio is not compressed on the way from the computer to the headphones, like in previous less expensive stuff?
As I understand, BT audio was lossy - did that change?

Blutooth audio has different modes. One of them is lossless. The trick is forcing a given piece of equipment to use that one, or even telling which ones it is using right now.

(I still use cables)

I think my current main annoyance with these headphones is the sleep timeout. It goes to sleep far too fast for my liking, considering it has an 80 hour battery life. It often takes me a bit to get my phone out and everything set up at work, and then I find out that the headset turned off. It also seems to turn off based on incoming input being blank, but ignores microphone input. I was on a call with a coworker earlier, talking the entire time while screen sharing as they watched, and it went to sleep. This auto off "feature" is becoming a real thorn in my side. I can turn off my headset myself, thanks... at least set it to like 30 mins or something...

The other thing is that it's very awkward at juggling connections, so if I was initially on my phone doing Bluetooth for music, according to documentation it should prioritize the dongle after the dongle is plugged in. However, that's not the case. I usually have to turn off bluetooth on my phone for a second to just force it to disconnect, otherwise I don't get input or output on the laptop.

I still love this headset and use it daily, but these two issues are a bit annoying.
Gonna add another quick bullet point to this: gosh they fall off easily. Tilt my head down an oh shit they're starting to come off. Look down too quickly and they might go flying off... I've had that happen, thankfully my head was already close to the ground (which was carpeted) since I was just picking something up so they didn't take any damage...

Last edited:
I picked up a pair of these, they are quite good. I've gone full wireless with headphones and my others are both Sony (WH-XB910N and WH-1000XM4), and while those sound excellent (and are a lot more portable), these are on another level. They are quite heavy, and I'm getting a replacement headband and pads from Wicked Cushions since these ones are a bit too thin and my ears are shoved into the plastic mesh inside, but overall the comfort is not bad considering how heavy they are. Great feature set and great sound.

I still love these things, they sound great. I sent back the Wicked Cushion pads and got a set of Defeans, the Wicked ones were too stiff. Defeans are much better.

Back