ATTN: Those with IE6: Can I crash your browser?

revo2001

[H]ard|Gawd
http://revomediaonline.com/marinalife/

For those that still have IE6, if you could go to that URL and let me know if it causes your browser to become unresponsive, I'd really appreciate it.

I think I might have found a bug evidently. It could just be the IETester program I am using though.

Thanks, I appreciate it. The real site is here: http://marinalife.com. If you check it out in IE6 then you'll notice what needs to be fixed :).

So I found out about the double margin and text-indent bug, threw some hackage in my css and funny enough if I do an IE hack and leave out display:inline; on the same ID, it crashes IE6.

This is the css:

Code:
#rightcontent {
	/* position: absolute;
	right: 2px;
	top: 150px;
	width: 162px;
	*/
	float: right;
	margin-left: 10px;
	margin-right: 10px;
	padding: 0;
	}

* html #rightcontent {
    overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; 
    width: expression(document.body.offsetWidth - 740);
}

Think it's a legit bug that I should maybe contact Microsoft about? I noticed that, for me at least, it started eating up memory big time when it crashes. I've always seen that a lot of hacks are caused from memory flooding or whatever.

I think with IE8 already on the way, Microsoft isn't likely to bother fixing anything with IE6, even if you reported a real bug.

Oh I agree. I just figured I'd report it if it might help. They still put out security updates if they're warranted.

Unfortunately a good portion of people still use IE6. It really annoys me that Microsoft is so horrible at getting people to update their software.

Oh I agree. I just figured I'd report it if it might help. They still put out security updates if they're warranted.

Unfortunately a good portion of people still use IE6. It really annoys me that Microsoft is so horrible at getting people to update their software.

It's not Microsoft's fault. They make the update version available, the people simply choose not to use it. On the business end this is more than anything because their intranet side was coded for and only works on IE6.

As for being a security issue, the browser crashes yes, does it risk their data being stolen or computer being compromised, no.

there are a few things that do this to IE6..gotta work around them if you want to support that userbase :)

avoiding absolute positioning in your css code will avoid a lot of problems with IE in general.

avoiding absolute positioning in your css code will avoid a lot of problems with IE in general.

Yeah, one of the reasons I choose not to support it unless the client is willing to pay extra for it. Absolute and relative positioning are essential parts of CSS and obeying the way they work is as fundamental as the box model (which Microsoft somehow fucked up in IE 5). Google Analytics says only 0.9% of my visitors are using IE6, so if my site looks a little janky for them I'm not too concerned. I use transparent PNGs whenever possible, since it makes updating designs so much easier and IE6 doesn't even get those right.

IE7 and 8 (prerelease versions anyway) are fully supported, and I'm committed to updating any designs that I promised would work with 8 but are somehow broken in 8 Final.

i also find that explicitly defining position: relative fixes a lot of little IE6 quirks as well.

Did you already fix the website? I went there with my IE6 and it loaded fine.

Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233

I'm on IE7 and when I open it up in window then full screen it the Home and Membership are still off to the side

Maybe it's just me but this is what I see
Nonsense.jpg

It fixes Itself If I mouse over any of the other ones on the bar but when I mouse over either Home or Membership it puts them in their correct position but underneath the others like in the picture to the right.

i also find that explicitly defining position: relative fixes a lot of little IE6 quirks as well.

That can break a lot of javascript position finding routines though. prototype has a hard time finding locations when postion:realtive is set.

Back