ATTN: LOTRO Players

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
I have this game, but really didn't get into it when I first bought it. What are the pros and cons of this game? After getting a new rig, I might try it out again. Give me some feedback, please!

Pros: Tolkien (and all the lore and backstory that comes with him). Growing player base. Some very active servers. DX10 graphics that actually make a difference. Frequent large free content additions (5 in the first year). The upcoming expansion pack "Volume II: The Mines of Moria" will add Moria, Lothlorien, and Eregion (an elven area between Eriador and Rohan). Better graphics than most MMOs (purely an opinion). Developers who actually take time to listen to and answer players' questions. An epic questline that makes the player actually a part of the world, not just a mindless drone killing endless boars and rats.

Cons: Tolkien (and all the restrictions and lore-fanatics that come with him). Limited PvP. Some very low-population servers (and no built-in way to tell which is which). Lack of solo-able quests between level 31 and 40. No opposing faction (you can't play an Orc or Uruk from level 1). Relatively small world (compared to the WoW behemoth). Lack of real diversity in high-end arms and armour.

i got it in the fall but stopped playing in November...however I picked it up again last week and am really enjoying it alot. I am on Brandywine Server which is fairly populated, although I am not sure which one had the most people.

Colin

On the note of LOTRO being a small world -- the zones feel more fleshed out/larger to me than WoW.

On the note of LOTRO being a small world -- the zones feel more fleshed out/larger to me than WoW.

And on that note...the world feels more fluid to me as well. In WoW, you can have 3 completely random zones (weather wise) side by side...see: Loch Modan and Burning Steppes, I think. I never played that much, but it was so random.

You'd fly from IF to SW and see a blizzard, a lava storm and green trees.

Stupid stupid stupid.

To be honest, it's a great game that is worth trying out again if you haven't played for a while.

They have recently released a new zone in Book 13 and some other quests and the ability to go fishing which some may enjoy for a little while. They have also introduced housing which some may like, compared to what was done in Star Wards Galaxies for housing it's a bit rough around the edges but it's OK and does give you a place to put some of your stuff.

Graphically this game looks amazing for an MMO in my opinion, so eye candy is a plus if you have the hardware. If you want to use the high res textures, make sure you have LOTS of memory or your machine will be swapping like crazy.

I say since you already bought it, re-subscribe and check it out again. It've had a lot of fun with it.

If your worried about low population, play on the Brandywine server. Highest population since its the only one that been around since beta.

I'll reiterate what mark said. However,
Lack of solo-able quests between level 31 and 40
I must be missing something here because I've pretty much soloed the entire way to 42. I've had help on some areas like the great barrows and a few quests here and there, but there is a plethora of soloable quests, just requires you to change zones every so-often.

I've not really noticed the zones being smaller due to what people have said. They are so detailed its amazing. Last night I took a break and just ran around looking at some different areas and was still impressed by how lush and detailed all the areas are, even off the beaten paths.

Started a couple weeks back and am immensely enjoying this title. Not sure why I didn't give it much of a chance when it first went retail, but am glad I'm in it now.

Playing on the Melendor server and it seems pretty busy.

However, I must be missing something here because I've pretty much soloed the entire way to 42. I've had help on some areas like the great barrows and a few quests here and there, but there is a plethora of soloable quests, just requires you to change zones every so-often.

It's possible that they have added content in that I have not seen. I haven't had a level ~30 character in some months now.

I really liked it, but ended up going back to WoW. I was playing a hunter at the time, and I had no problem soloing even the normal elites with some creative kiting techniques. It was a lot of fun, but kind of hard to get groups as a DPS. It's basically WoW with a different theme, so if you didn't like WoW, you won't like this.

Forochel just came out few weeks ago, huge region the size of North Downs.

I myself haven't gotten into LOTRO at release, but after starting it back up few months ago, I simply love it. The game has gotten a polish with every update, Turbine releases more new content than anybody else.... Worth a try. They have this thing going, if you were inactive for few months, you can get few days free I think.

haha... lol.

I told myself, hey, maybe the game's good, I might give it a try.
So I go on their website and try to search the forums for some info........ NOPE.
You won't search on my forum! It's bugged... gives a blank page!

Oh well... to think I was about to give money to a company that can't even manage a simple forum .... hahahah oh god thanks for saving me money .

haha... lol.

So I go on their website and try to search the forums for some info........ NOPE.

Oh well... to think I was about to give money to a company that can't even manage a simple forum .... hahahah oh god thanks for saving me money .

.....What?

They are having a free weekend for past subscribers starting today. i loaded it back up wanting to try it out again as i just played for the first month last year. well, i'm 30 minutes into the auto updating after reinstall - says i'm on file 3000 of 14241

i might be able to play in a few more hours :)

haha... lol.

You are a noob sir.

First of all, the forums are Vbulletin, stuff happens, they usually work well. If you have known anything management, you would not make a stupid post like that.

yea, there are a ton of added content, that is what you are downloading, hope you will enjoy it.

haha... lol.

Meh. Search works for me.

If you have known anything management, you would not make a stupid post like that.

Known anything management? I doubt the kid barely knows which direction his balls are going to drop, if they ever do. You're wasting your time.

lol
You guys are funny... anyways... tried it again, still a blank page after hitting search.
I'll leave it open maybe it's really, really, really slow and it'll work in a couple hours, who knows !

And what the hell does knowing anything about management has to do with the search function of a forum not working?
That makes even less sense than my post.

lol
You guys are funny... anyways... tried it again, still a blank page after hitting search.
I'll leave it open maybe it's really, really, really slow and it'll work in a couple hours, who knows !

And what the hell does knowing anything about management has to do with the search function of a forum not working?
That makes even less sense than my post.

Are you shitting me? lol

Well, problem is on your end, my search works fine too...

Kid is just a noob.
1) post barely made any sense.
2) that kind of a bash...just wow

Thats another thing worth noting - its a more mature player base. I'm at level 30 and I've only met 2 players I would PK if I could ;)

A note on graphics - this engine scales very well. I upgraded from an x850XT to a 8800GTX. The x850XT could handle high res @ 1680x1050 and it looked fantastic, only lagging significantly in Bree. The 8800GTX can go Ultra res and 4xAA 16AF and it is clearly a stunner. I still get some lag in Bree, but its network.

Thats another thing worth noting - its a more mature player base. I'm at level 30 and I've only met 2 players I would PK if I could ;)

A note on graphics - this engine scales very well. I upgraded from an x850XT to a 8800GTX. The x850XT could handle high res @ 1680x1050 and it looked fantastic, only lagging significantly in Bree. The 8800GTX can go Ultra res and 4xAA 16AF and it is clearly a stunner. I still get some lag in Bree, but its network.

I do not think it scales too well. I can run WoW on my laptop maxed out and it would look good. Yet, I would have to run LOTRO on medium and I can barely look at it....

Yet, on my desktop I run LOTRO on DX10 with everything on max, it looks awesome!!!

I do not think it scales too well. I can run WoW on my laptop maxed out and it would look good. Yet, I would have to run LOTRO on medium and I can barely look at it....

Yet, on my desktop I run LOTRO on DX10 with everything on max, it looks awesome!!!

Yeah well, comparing LOTRO to WoW graphically is like apples to potatoes. Blizzard chose the lowest common denominator and used style to design around the severe graphical limitations they chose. LOTRO is a different ballgame. Compare its performance and quality to Oblivion with its "Loading Area..." nonsense. Looks better, more seamless, performs WAY better. A far more convincing overall graphics presentation than Oblivion.

Yeah well, comparing LOTRO to WoW graphically is like apples to potatoes. Blizzard chose the lowest common denominator and used style to design around the severe graphical limitations they chose. LOTRO is a different ballgame. Compare its performance and quality to Oblivion with its "Loading Area..." nonsense. Looks better, more seamless, performs WAY better. A far more convincing overall graphics presentation than Oblivion.

Yea, I agree. I am just saying that the game does not scale too well on older systems/lapptops.

I just downloaded the trial today and have been playing all day.. Good stuff.
I am done with WoW as I am starting school again in fall and don't need that hanging over my head. Lotro is MUCH more casual and to be honest, a lot more fun imo.

I just downloaded the trial today and have been playing all day.. Good stuff.
I am done with WoW as I am starting school again in fall and don't need that hanging over my head. Lotro is MUCH more casual and to be honest, a lot more fun imo.

Yep, they do not force you to do anything that you do not want to. Great MMO, but it is not for folk who want to play 24/7, there is simply not enough of: "My gear is OMG pwnage I will pwn you now, lolz"

I kinda miss LOTRO. Played it on and off for a few months after launch but never had the time to dedicate to it so I canceled my subscription. It's tempting to go back in and play, especially with the free play week they're having right now.

I just started LOTRO last weekend, and I've been having a blast. I haven't had this much starting a new MMO since I initially logged into World of Warcraft nearly 3 years ago. The community seems to be much friendlier and more mature than WoW or most of the other MMOs I played before it. It can be a little tough to find groups at times, even on the more populated servers, but so far (up to level 26) there's usually somewhere else you can go to do something different while you wait for that opportunity to hop into the perfect group.

The graphics are somewhat of a mixed bag. Shire and Bree-land look outstanding, but Ered Luin & Thorin's Gate are some of the most visually bankrupt aesthetics I've seen in a game in a long time. DX10 mode gives the game some impressive real-time environmental shadowing and help to create an even more immersive atmosphere. I didn't notice any of the performance problems that [H]'s review of the initial DX10 release seemed to encounter. I'm running an E6600 w/ GeForce 8800GTS (G92) at 1920x1200 res with full graphical settings in DX10 mode and my framerate rarely drops below 30.

My 2 weeks is about up. I just got bored with it. It does have a friendlier community, but its also a quieter community. I rarely every talk to anybody and had a hard time finding groups for fellowship quests. I think im am going to pass on it.

I think the biggest thing that got me un-interested is the lack of character types. With WoW, every class could be played 3 ways, making it a broader selection. With Lotro, it felt like the characters were locked into their calling. With a limited amount of classes, the variety gets a little thin.

My 2 weeks is about up. I just got bored with it. It does have a friendlier community, but its also a quieter community. I rarely every talk to anybody and had a hard time finding groups for fellowship quests. I think im am going to pass on it.

I think the biggest thing that got me un-interested is the lack of character types. With WoW, every class could be played 3 ways, making it a broader selection. With Lotro, it felt like the characters were locked into their calling. With a limited amount of classes, the variety gets a little thin.

It depends on what class you play. True, LOTRO does not provide as great of a character customization as WoWl but traits take care of the job...somewhat...

As you unlock and equip certain traits, it changes the way your character handles. It's nice little customization, not as cool as WoW's though.

I am finding the rigidly defined classes very refreshing. If you find a Guardian, you know he's a tank. None of this "oh I spec'd fury." or spending an hour trying to find a healer only to find out the guy you settled on is geared for face melting. If you want to DPS, roll a DPS class. If you want to tank, roll a tanking class, etc.

I haven't found the server I'm on (Elendilmir) to be too quiet or too hard to find groups on. And what point is all the chatter of the WoW servers if every person you come across is a jerk? Some of the later hours in the night it gets pretty quiet but during the evenings it's quite booming.

Back