• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

ATTENTION: The Spamming Stops Right Now!

Lethal

ViragoAdmin Emeritus
Joined
May 27, 2000
Messages
28,704
What is with you guys/gals lately? Do you look to see who's online and go, "Nope, no DC mods on, let's have a spamfest!"?

Look, I realize DC is more of a community than other forums here and we allow some latitude to foster that sense of community. But let me remind you that blatant spam is not acceptable. Like I said when I closed this thread, if I have to keep cleaning this shit up, some heads are gonna roll. I'm not trying to come across as some big bad meanie, but those who've been around for a while may recall that when Kyle's title was "Just Plain Mean", he made mine "Just Plain Meaner". ;)

I will leave this open for comments but I'll warn you that any off-topic/spam posts here will result in an automatic 24-hour vacation.
 
Talk about playing with fire.... Please delete this thread and answer via PM if that is more appropriate. I know Kyle/Moose dislike questions on this nature in the open forum, however you said to ask/comment so-

How come the mojo thread was not locked? Long standing tradition on relics behalf?

p4 vs 64 thread- Truly pooly worded yes however honestly to my knowledge we here in DC forum have never had a thread dedicated to which would be better. Yes, many posts about this is better than that or what not, but never a thread on truly the pros and cons of each (I'm sure I've missed theads on this, but I just don't recall any). And yes, I would agree that a thread of this nature would stand a 98% chance of going to down hill quickly but never the less.

For what it's worth, my Video Card sub forum was a effort to get the folks whom posted there posting more in general. Not that that thread really went that direction but... just trying to enlarge the community.



:)
 
marty9876 said:
How come the mojo thread was not locked? Long standing tradition on relics behalf?

p4 vs 64 thread- Truly pooly worded yes however honestly to my knowledge we here in DC forum have never had a thread dedicated to which would be better. Yes, many posts about this is better than that or what not, but never a thread on truly the pros and cons of each (I'm sure I've missed theads on this, but I just don't recall any). And yes, I would agree that a thread of this nature would stand a 98% chance of going to down hill quickly but never the less.

i would also like to know the answers to these. i too was wondering about the athlon versus intel thread. why'd it close?

why didn't the thread about freaking drinking not close?
 
Lethal said:
What is with you guys/gals lately? Do you look to see who's online and go, "Nope, no DC mods on, let's have a spamfest!"?

Look, I realize DC is more of a community than other forums here and we allow some latitude to foster that sense of community. But let me remind you that blatant spam is not acceptable. Like I said when I closed this thread, if I have to keep cleaning this shit up, some heads are gonna roll. I'm not trying to come across as some big bad meanie, but those who've been around for a while may recall that when Kyle's title was "Just Plain Mean", he made mine "Just Plain Meaner". ;)

I will leave this open for comments but I'll warn you that any off-topic/spam posts here will result in an automatic 24-hour vacation.
I'm responding as a pretty new poster. In fact that is part of my point... the REASON I got involved posting again after a 3-4 year absence with [H]ard|Forum (tm) was the sense and feel of a generous community here at the DC subforum. There is no blatant flaming, there a very few trolls, and MOST of the people here seem pretty reasonable and helpful. Let me point out again, that your objections are not to a flamewar, or malicious posting, but to off-topic posting.
In fact the level of civility in this subforum exceeds most of the rest of the Forum. I peruse other subforums occasionally, but rarely post. [H]ardOCP has in fact been my browser startup page for the last 5 years and I have supported Kyle & [H]ardOCP in their past public battles. So I think there should be some realization here that we have come here voluntarily and live under Kyle's roof while we are here, but we also have other places to go if the environment is unduly harsh.
So we all know who wields the sword and why, the only question is whether the community wants the population to increase or decrease.
[See you later guys, I have the feeling I'm going on vacation...]

 
RPhArrow said:
So we all know who wields the sword and why, the only question is whether the community wants the population to increase or decrease.
[See you later guys, I have the feeling I'm going on vacation...]

if you're going i'm coming with.

EDIT: but, i don't think you will be going -- the admins here might (sometimes) be harsh, but they're not boors.

EDIT # 2: badges back up after i reformatted my computer:
 
First, disregard my title, as I'm just another folder here in DC. I try to run a tight ship in Disk Storage Systems, yet I am one of the biggest contributors to the spam here, especially my 50 post Friday :eek: I apologize for that.

The answer to this problem doesn't lie in more mods, or more time from the admins. Each of us need to help. Think twice before hitting submit. Will your post help folding recruiting? Will your post help a current folder get more production? Will your post help convince someone to disregard the electirc bill and squeeze every MHz out of their boxen? This is what this forum was about when I started, and that was a few short months ago. Or, is your post simply conversation and cutting up? We have General Mayhem and PMs for that. Sure, the people are as much a part of the team as the boxen, and the community is valuable support during tight times when the electric bill makes things tight at home, or you lose a box. However, this forum is first and foremost about helping find the Cure, not about making fun of each other. If you have a funny insight, package it with intelligent insight that benefits the [H]orde.

Yes, I love all of you guys - that's why I make fun of you :p We're all working towards a better tommorrow and having a good time doing it. But we, myself included, need to step back for a second, and realize that Kyle has given us a lot, but it comes with the responsibility of following his rules. And one other thing - spamming the forum takes CPU cycles away from folding. That's really the only reason we should need for not doing it. Full Fold Ahead - it's about points, not posts.

EDIT: Not all of the fun needs to go away, just take some off the top. I don't want to be perceived as draconian/hard-hearted.
 
Sorry Doug, if that's the only reason to participate in this forum, I am outta here, gonzo, Bye Bye Birdie, no reason to carry on though, as it might be off topic.... I've got a cuzzin somewhere in Australia....

 
Carnival Forces said:
did you get my PM, lethal?
Yes, I did. If you want to start another thread about overclocking to get more Mhz for the team, that's fine. But your wording left something to be desired.

in true <cough> VidCard forum </cough> fashion, here's another new thread -- it's already been 33 seconds and no one had posted one.. so i felt obligated

marty9876 said:
How come the mojo thread was not locked? Long standing tradition on relics behalf?

p4 vs 64 thread- Truly pooly worded yes however honestly to my knowledge we here in DC forum have never had a thread dedicated to which would be better. Yes, many posts about this is better than that or what not, but never a thread on truly the pros and cons of each (I'm sure I've missed theads on this, but I just don't recall any). And yes, I would agree that a thread of this nature would stand a 98% chance of going to down hill quickly but never the less.

For what it's worth, my Video Card sub forum was a effort to get the folks whom posted there posting more in general. Not that that thread really went that direction but... just trying to enlarge the community. :)
Why didn't I lock the mojo thread? Because I didn't receive a complaint about it. Do you want me to lock that one, too? And yes, I do remember relic and his mojo. ;)

In fact, the original PM I received asked me if I could clean up the spam and I then had to ask for links because, frankly, I'm not a mindreader nor do I have the time to go digging for things. Again, if you want to start a thread about the merits of various processors as they relate to folding, that's fine, but please word it appropriately.

RPhArrow said:
Let me point out again, that your objections are not to a flamewar, or malicious posting, but to off-topic posting. ... So I think there should be some realization here that we have come here voluntarily and live under Kyle's roof while we are here, but we also have other places to go if the environment is unduly harsh.
True, but let me point out The Rules here state:

(2) No OFF-TOPIC posting will be allowed with the exception of the PREMIUM FORUM area. If general conversation is what you seek, you have found a new home http://www.hardforum.com/subscriptions.php?
I've pretty much turned a blind eye to off-topic posting in DC, I've only stepped in when outright spamming became an issue. Lately I've seen a bit of the "while the cat's away the mice will play" attitude. AtomicMoose and DR_K13 were both out recently and you guys went nuts.

I am not trying to be harsh, my role is to ensure that the rules are followed. I didn't make them and I don't try to "interpret" them to any agenda. I get no jollies out of banning anyone. I honestly don't think I have ever banned anyone out of DC unless they were a drive-by spammer and not even part of the community.

I can't speak for Kyle or Steve, but my impression is that they are very proud of the [H]orde and what you are doing. You get front page pimpage almost every time I check there. :)

The entire issue here is spam for spam's sake. When someone is bragging over in GenMay about how a DC spam thread was getting like six posts per minute, then hello, I think we have a spam problem. Keep your posts "relatively" on-topic and don't spam for the sake of spam and there's no problem. ;)
 
Thanks for the input Lethal. Just some on topic thoughts, hopefully.

1. If you got a complaint about a thread here, then I for one am ashamed. I for one have no problem with you taking corrective action regarding threads complaints were received about. I've looked over the threads, somewhat quickly, and am not sure what the complaint was but that's neither here nor there.

2. Regarding "while the cat's away the mice will play" attitude I for one have no clue when there are here or not. I never look at the who's online thing, too many names. Yes, a certian thread regarding this issue went off thrack and trust me when I say it was a perfect storm. A few of us happened to be here whom are keyboard happy at times, with a thread pointing out nobody has here, and it blew up. Not as an effort to save face, but at least the "leakage" was contained -mostly- in one thread. Generally that's the way it goes, one thread per page gets wild. In my opinion, not that it matters, that's not so bad. One topic off track vs. a whole front page spammed to the hill is not "so" bad.

Let's drop the hints/badges around the other sub forums and if they choose to venture in here then they win, if not ohh well. Bragging on spam in GenMay, yea, not going to end well.

3. Folks, something learnt here. Keep your figging mouth shut. RE. braggin in Genmay. We all know the line for recruiting in other sub forums is a fine line. We get the badges, that's 100% more than any other forum. Keep up the suttle hints and let's leave it at that.

4. Regarding some of RPhArrow points, they echo loud for me. "Work hard, play hard" seems to fit for me. I for one could never have imaged some internet based/forum crap which would cause me to work my butt off (100's hours over the past year in various DC releated activites) but here I am. This had a point and now I forget... ummm.... Something along the lines of the community/chatter in the fourm here keeps me going.

5. Every read any other teams forums? They are boring as hell. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Spam vs. wild crazy ass posting (but not many off them). I'd like to preserve the right for crazy thought posting while not crossing the line into spam.

[H] does give us all far and away more room to roam here in regards to posts. Let's all not forget than, also lets not forget than some at times may try and push those edges.
 
Marty's right. People don't drive up their electric bills, sweat in their bedrooms, and devote the time/money it takes to keep a farm going because its work, they do it because it's fun and a challenge. This forum is part of the fun, and I agree it's the best one going. Once again, points not posts. Keep your eyes on the points prize.
 
DougLite said:
Marty's right. People don't drive up their electric bills, sweat in their bedrooms, and devote the time/money it takes to keep a farm going because its work, they do it because it's fun and a challenge. This forum is part of the fun, and I agree it's the best one going. Once again, points not posts. Keep your eyes on the points prize.

Couldn't have said it better. Since there's really no topic at the moment here.....for who ever ends up reading this, I dug up a few quotes from Relic, the date of this text file is 6/9/03 but I'm sure these are older than that...back when we used to sit around and come up with reasons to incurr the costs we do to fold.

EDIT: These are not in the why we dc thread....so a bit of the legacy is revived.

To all you other old timers that remember this and have seen it a hundred times....bear with me.....for all the new and future farmers out there, here's a bit of Relic's mojo:

"We do this for them
Those yet to be born
We do this for those
Whose memory we mourn

We do this for mom
Who is counting her days
We do this for children
Who are too weak to play

We do this for those
who can't do for themselves
We do this with honor
and take pride in ourselves

I do this for you
and you do it for me
For those future times
We cannot foresee.

We never shall falter
We shall never forget.
Our enemy, disease,
Shall not go un-met

Though our warriors are silent
and our battlefield unseen
Our resolve is as real
as any soldier's should be

Toward a day without sorrow
Toward a life without pain
Toward a world where the best
and the worst...are the same

-relic

A DC soul
What does it take to do what we do?
Why do we struggle, do you have a clue?
What is it that guides us? Few reasons have we.
We make our world better with our thankless DC

Money is dear, few extras for us.
But onward we struggle and conquer we must
We dream of a day when the sickness shall go
We may never see it, it's enough just to know.

It's all about them, those we'll never meet.
Onward we battle, and never retreat.
Their faces shall shine. Their lives shall be whole.
Thanks to the kindness of a few DC souls."

So guys, let's keep the spam in the can where it belongs (except the hot n spicy spam.....yumm!) and keep them wu's rolling in.

 
I have to echo some of the thoughts made. I agree, "Don't mess up a good thing with stupid spamming." We have been given a lot of latitude in this forum. I know all the spamming is because you all miss me. Rest assured, I will post more when I get back from my trip to Southern Mississippi.
 
I personally think it's a bit much...the power trip. Yeah I have a spine, it's been broken, but I have a spine, but acting like the FBI on an Internet Forum? Seems a bit ridiculous, I think all of us would have got the point in a nice, simple clean message rather than you telling us 'to clean this shit up'. As well as the 'heads will roll'? C'mon, who says that?

Lighten up, enjoy your life.
 
clean_me said:
I personally think it's a bit much...the power trip. Yeah I have a spine, it's been broken, but I have a spine, but acting like the FBI on an Internet Forum? Seems a bit ridiculous, I think all of us would have got the point in a nice, simple clean message rather than you telling us 'to clean this shit up'. As well as the 'heads will roll'? C'mon, who says that?

Lighten up, enjoy your life.

We're actually allowed a lot more room when it comes to the rules in this sub-forum as it is. A lot of that has to do with the fact that we doin't generally go overboard that much. What has happened in many of the threads lately is overboard. We have also had a few warnings and locked threads. At that point, much of the crap should have stopped but some of it didn't. A little off topic and spamming is usually fun but there has been too much lately. Plus, many of the threads drift off topic but usually find their way back on topic somehow (at least for a little while). That's not what has happened lately.

 
Yeah I agree, but this imposed 'persona' of the all powerful mod is a bit much. We know what to do when told. I just think people in general get 'angry' too much.
 
sorry for the offtopic threads. i dont wanna ruin a good thing. wont happen again. not for fear of beaing banned, but for the reach through from mouse ;)
 
Heya Lethal.. glad you stopped by.. :D
sorry it was for crowd control :eek:

This forum is awesome, and DC is the best.. we need to remember (as it has been said) how much better it is here (badges!?!) and, as Kyle's business model includes free forum + CHEAP pay area for chat stuff, we can cheerfully go along with a request that we stick mostly with folding stuff, and mostly not on non-folding stuff. no worries.

allllrighty then. back to folding.

sharp
 
lozaning said:
i dont wanna ruin a good thing. wont happen again. not for fear of beaing banned, but for the reach through from mouse ;)


A rech through mouse....now thats new! :p
It is a good idea to have to basicly stick to topics....ever been on some other forums that have a handfull of people that just crap on every thread. It annoyed me enough that I never go back....well just to see that those same people are still there doing what they do.
 
DougLite said:
Marty's right. People don't drive up their electric bills, sweat in their bedrooms, and devote the time/money it takes to keep a farm going because its work, they do it because it's fun and a challenge. This forum is part of the fun, and I agree it's the best one going. Once again, points not posts. Keep your eyes on the points prize.



EXACTLY.

 
Just one question.. can we talk smack here about our little fantasy football league? Cause what good is braggin rights if we can't brag about it where we all hang out and where our league came from?


 
[H]ugh_Freak said:
Just one question.. can we talk smack here about our little fantasy football league? Cause what good is braggin rights if we can't brag about it where we all hang out and where our league came from?


Make me a mod !! Even I can tell this post is off topic in a a smack down thread !

Or let me try the big guy's method: No
 
RPhArrow said:
Make me a mod !! Even I can tell this post is off topic in a a smack down thread !

Or let me try the big guy's method: No
or big girl (as it is in Lethal's case) (sorry for this correction, i'm not a grammar/political-correctnes nazi, i just abhore gendered language -- i think it's sexist. whatever, everyone has their own views, we're still friends -- fold for a cure :))
 
Carnival Forces said:
or big girl (as it is in Lethal's case) (sorry for this correction, i'm not a grammar/political-correctnes nazi, i just abhore gendered language -- i think it's sexist. whatever, everyone has their own views, we're still friends -- fold for a cure :))
The big guy = Kyle -- last I checked, he still looked like a guy :p
 
I didn't mean to sound like I meant this thread, when I asked if we could talk smack..
I meant give it its own thread.. or just use the one that had the signups in it. Or would that be considered spam? Since it would have nothing to do with DCing other then its some of the team having a good time.

Carnival Forces said:
i'm not a grammar/political-correctnes nazi, i just abhore gendered language

Then sorry to break this to you, but I'm not aware of any languages that don't use gendered verbs/adjectives/nouns etc.. when describing people.


 
[H]ugh_Freak said:
I didn't mean to sound like I meant this thread, when I asked if we could talk smack..
I meant give it its own thread.. or just use the one that had the signups in it. Or would that be considered spam? Since it would have nothing to do with DCing other then its some of the team having a good time.

I am sure if it stayed in one thread, and stayed "controlled" that they would have no problem with it. You can always send Moose a PM to check as well.
 
K*, I don't see a problem with it.

I think that you all are missing the main point of this thread. DR_K13, Lethal, myself and the rest of the staff are not here to micro-manage your posts and the direction of threads...just that the blatant spamming has to stop. That is the point. Let's not get into symantics here. I think you all know what a spam post is....
 
Back
Top