attaching gpu memory heatainks

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
For quite a few years now I've used an old universal gpu water block that cools only the gpu itself. I also attach copper heatsinks to the ram chips....heatsinks that I've been using for years.

To attach them I used to use arctic alumina ceramic epoxy mixed with equal part of arctic silver 5. This makes the adhesive slightly rubbery and allows me to remove the heatsinks and reuse them.

The problem is they don't make the ceramic epoxy anymore. The stuff I have is pretty well dried out and useless. So what can I use in place of this that will be still be reusable? Haven't found much so far. All I have in mind is the thermal tape but I'm guessing it won't transfer heat as well. Or could I be wrong here? Haven't used the tape in many years. Has it improved?

Thanks guys.

If your block will fit in it you might try a nzxt kraken g12? You wouldn't need sinks anymore with a fan directly cooling them. Or go old school and zip tie a 92 or 120mm fan on that badboy ;)
Ive heard of people using tiny drops of super glue on one corner of the memory module and thermal paste on the rest.
Personally ive had zero luck with thermal tapes. The sinks always fell off.

A regular epoxy, just a small amount on the corners, or superglue, same. Make sure the surfaces are prepped well or it won't adhere properly.

Thanks guys, some good ideas for sure. I like using a tiny dab of super glue to hold it and the rest paste. should be easy to break the glue if necessary. I'm definitely going to look into the G12 as well, I like that. I could probably make it work with some modification. I do have a 120mm fan ghetto attached to the video card with some wire, I'm just looking at options for the future. Also I like my copper ram sinks for the memory on the back of the card.

Unfortunately mcmaster carr is not an option. If you're in the US, they happily ship to anyone. Here in Canada, you have to have a corporate account. I tried getting stuff from them years ago and it was roadblocks the whole way. Guess they don't like money.

I just had a silly thought too...I wonder about mixing paste and super glue? Sounds stupid, but you never know. I'll see what google tells me and if not a lot maybe experiment a little.

Thanks guys, some good ideas for sure. I like using a tiny dab of super glue to hold it and the rest paste. should be easy to break the glue if necessary. I'm definitely going to look into the G12 as well, I like that. I could probably make it work with some modification. I do have a 120mm fan ghetto attached to the video card with some wire, I'm just looking at options for the future. Also I like my copper ram sinks for the memory on the back of the card.

Unfortunately mcmaster carr is not an option. If you're in the US, they happily ship to anyone. Here in Canada, you have to have a corporate account. I tried getting stuff from them years ago and it was roadblocks the whole way. Guess they don't like money.

I just had a silly thought too...I wonder about mixing paste and super glue? Sounds stupid, but you never know. I'll see what google tells me and if not a lot maybe experiment a little.
It'd either harden before you've even applied it or it'd never harden. The chemistry isn't compatible with thay type of usage.

Well, maybe if you used a LOT, but it wouldn't hold nearly as well as straight superglue, and it wouldn't transfer heat as well as straight thermal paste.

The best thermal tape i used, was/is partially made of some kind of metal. Maybe aluminum, im not sure. It comes in pages rather than rolls and you have to cut it to size then heat it up quite a bit to get it to stick. It has a cure time of an hour? It sticks really well but if both the sinks and memory arent hot enough it will fall right off. There in lies the problem of course, not cooking the memory. I cant for the life of me remember what its called. Ive got a small section of it left but it doesnt have any kind of identification or marks on it. Its dark grey...maybe it will ring a bell for someone?

Yeah. Do the good old super glue trick. Apply small piece of tape to very corner of chip/s, apply thin film of favorite TIM. Remove tape, apply small drop of glue to now bare corners and hold heatsink tight for couple minutes until glue dries. Might be surprised how large the hunks of copper I have done this with. Later on the sink should snap off easily if desired.

^^^thats how i used to do it^^^

If your block will fit in it you might try a nzxt kraken g12? You wouldn't need sinks anymore with a fan directly cooling them.
thats not how it works though, there is no fan for the RAM, just the power or whatever is at the end of the card. ive used one on both my rx 470 and 580 but havent moved it to my 5700 because of that.

Back