Atlas

Star Citizen in its current alpha state is more playable than this pile of crap.
To be fair, Star Citizen has been in development for more than 7 years at this point while Ark has only been about 4 years in development.

IMO Ubisoft created the best pirate game to date with Black Flag. If they started there and stripped out the Abstergo stuff they're halfway there already. I thought that was the plan with Skull & Bones, but the delays have me wondering what they're going for. Hopefully it's just polish.

There's a BIG difference between games potentially like Atlas or Sea of Thieves versus something like AC4 Black Flag (or AC Odyssey which has tons of in depth naval combat etc), regarding depth and playstyle. With Black Flag and similar "pirate" games you are basically the captain and fully in control of your boat - you steer, you shoot etc. There are lots of neat pirate games like this including on Steam such as Tempest, as well as other RPGs and whatnot. Games like Sea of Thieves, ostensibly Atlas (if they ever got themselves together properly) , as well as Blackwake (check this out on Steam), are different because they focus on duty stations onboard the ship - people need to work together to sail - someone at the helm, people changing the tack of the sails, repairing damage or bailing out, loading cannons and firing them etc. There are also some other game settings such as space titles that have similar ideas - check out Pulsar: Lost Colony for example, and of course Star Citizen is all that and more.

I'm unsure which direction Skull and Bones will be, but frankly these days I don't want to see them pouring AAA Ubisoft money into a "Just the seafaring portions of Assassin's Creed games" title and asking for the type of full price + DLC that Ubi tends to make. Especially during the Winter Steam Sale if you are interested in a pirate game fix of any kind, now's a great time to try some of them out! Oh and I also hear that Sea of Thieves is actually improved greatly since its release; I'm installing it now to check again and will give them a try. Id be willing to give Atlas a similar break, were it not for some of the things that shout "ARK Mod" and issues like like the lack of water simulation (see how the ships just glide on the top of the waves?) ... maybe after their horrid release they'll go back to the drawing board.

Atlas looks pretty bad (IMO). Watching people stream it it seems like there is a constant haze in the game planted to dim some of the images that look like they've come to us from 2007. On top of this, from what I've watched, is people sailing and doing nothing for long periods of time, I've seen ships and boats flip out like Fallout 76 trashcans, and a massive grind. In the end though, even if I witnessed something else, any pirate game that has hang gliders and dinosaurs would be immediately scratched off my list.

It was originally planned as a Ark DLC but I'm guessing they decided to make it a separate game to cash in. Rumors are they were afraid those with Ark summer passes would expect it to be free so went with new game. Anyway have you guys seen Angry Joe's angry rant? lmao

All the big game reviewers are dumping on this, and the dev's are getting dumped on a lot. But they seem to deserve it. With all the controversy surrounding Ark's price increase, the release of DLC's when the game was buggy, the unfixing of bugs in the base game, and now them reskinning Ark and selling it as a brand new game, I don't see how this will last.

People love Ark because it's such a great concept. Even with the bugs, it's been able to maintain a pretty stable player and fan base. It's a dino survival game. Fucking brilliant idea. And it allows mods. But Atlas just seems a step back from Ark.

It was most definitely a huge fail on the launch, however I've probably got around 15-20 hours in now, play a few hours a night with a core group on a self hosted dedicated server 3x3 map, I think full map is like 10x10, and it's still huge at 3x3. It definitely has bugs, however it's still a lot of fun. We've had like 8-10+ people on multiple ships, exploring the seas and doing treasure maps and finding new things and advancing. It's definitely a tough game, full of bugs, but it is entertaining. They most definitely should have delayed it another month or two to make it a real playable"early access" however after what, 2 weeks now? it's pretty decent. I haven't crashed in a few days or so and the server has stayed up nearly 24/7 with minimal crashes so far (non official, I know those are a little more problematic).

While it is fun, it'll never fill that MMO itch, it's so easy to customize the ruleset, exp rates, etc and make changes and reset / get back into action when you die. It's almost FPS like how easy it is as long as you're close to a bed (spawn point). However we have had some nasty encounters in the sea where we completely lost like 6+ people and a ship decked out, but you can all harvest and get back into action and build new equipment in like 5-10 minutes, so not a huge problem. Ships definitely take a large amount of work 5-6 people harvesting for 30-45 minutes to build it.. (higher harvest rates on the server)

Overall launch: epic fail
After 10ish days: much better, lots of bugs, but entertaining. Going in with this is an "early access / beta" release, it's pretty fun. Probably could have been a DLC for Ark, but it is pretty different so I can understand it being a different release, but I can see the annoyance because it's definitely like 75% code share, if not more.

I have a friend who plays it. These type of games is something he just loves. You can't convince him its bad. He streams it and tells everyone how good it is. So Atlas does have a loyal fan base. I imagine its small though.

Last edited:
I have a friend who plays it. These type of games is something he just loves. You can't convince him its bad. He streams it and tells everyone how good it is. So Atlas does have a loyal fan base. I imagine its small though.

It's actually a big hit among PVP'ers and RP folks. Many of the role player streamers I watch on twitch are playing it. Hundreds to thousands of viewers. From what I've seen, the game is actually fairly stable on a private server for an alpha. The launch was a disaster but the devs seem to be making up for it.

Reactions: zrikz
like this

Have you ever watched an Angry Joe video? The guy's pretty funny. He will definitely talk seriously about the good part of games, but his schtick is angry ranting. I enjoy his vids.

These Ark devs are really letting the cat out of the bag as far as game design anything goes. Its still popular on steam despite the 17000 negative reviews.

I am really enjoying the game, but the lag on the servers gets brutal, especially with all the chinese hordes. It's getting old really fast.

Have you ever watched an Angry Joe video? The guy's pretty funny. He will definitely talk seriously about the good part of games, but his schtick is angry ranting. I enjoy his vids.

I love AJ's reviews. He is funny while being very thorough with his reviews and he's not afraid to say when a bad game is bad.

upload_2019-1-8_11-30-35.png

I like this game a lot. That might be due to lack of any relevant competition but, that's the market.

so that's what it's come down to-- relying on Ubisoft to deliver the definitive pirate game

The sad thing is that we've already had the perfect pirate game for 30 years. If someone would just take Sid Meier's Pirates! and update it with a first or third person POV, update the systems, and add multiplayer it would be "The One True Pirate Game".

Cool looking FREE map I would be all over this game it was a MMO and not a survival I'm going to kick your ass game.

Atlas runs very poorly and is a ways off from being a complete game. Pretty vacant.

I have 1300 hours in Atlas. I finally said fuck it, it's too much like work. Wish I would have done it sooner. Devs are incompetent as fuck, and there is just way too much upkeep to do in the game, even with the latest updates. Too little, too late.

I have 1300 hours in Atlas. I finally said fuck it, it's too much like work. Wish I would have done it sooner. Devs are incompetent as fuck, and there is just way too much upkeep to do in the game, even with the latest updates. Too little, too late.
How the fuck did you manage 1300 hours before you said fuck it lol. You or a very patient man or just like punishing yourself.

How the fuck did you manage 1300 hours before you said fuck it lol. You or a very patient man or just like punishing yourself.

I just did the math and this is equal to me working for 32 week(40 hours a week). That is an insane amount of time to spend on a game period.

I just did the math and this is equal to me working for 32 week(40 hours a week). That is an insane amount of time to spend on a game period.
Agreed.

I've never put that much time into a game except WoW, but that's over the life span of the game since Vanilla.

Back