• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATi's 5870 in a SG03

Yoy0YO

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 20, 2009
Messages
312
Hello SFF [H]!
I've seen a bird fly, I've seen a pig fly (see District 9) but I haven't seen anybody with a 5870 in a SG03
I've heard tales of people's SG03 containing a 4870x2. By the sounds of it, the 5870 is around the same size (but I don't know if its bigger or smaller!)

Anybody care to speculate if the SG03 can contain the mighty 5870?
 
It's not the same length. All the other cards are 10.5". 5870 is closer to 11" thanks to those vent looking bits on end.

Hi,
Yes, if you just mount a 120mm fan at the front top, and the Raden 5870 will
fit in SG03, and if you want to mount two 120mm fan, you could choose a slim
120mm fan and mount it at front bottom, then the Raden 5870 also can fit in
SG03.

Best Regards
HQ Support
SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

Scythe make some slimline 120mm fans that should work.
 
Well damn. I guess I'll have to go with the HD 5850 or 5770 then, just when I was pretty much settled to go with a 5870. I just bought the silent Nexus fans for this case, don't want to try hunt for a silent slim fan. Slim fans are hard to find here, let alone silent ones...
 
Hey tvih! I have a build in mind thats really freaking similar to your SG03 lol. 'cept I'm looking at Scythe Gentle Typhoons with a P55m UD4
Do you have any tips on a first-time builder like me?
 
Last edited:
I read on a different thread that an alternative to a slim fan is to use four 60mm fans. 60mm fans are thinner. Sounds outrageously inventive.
 
you can use the slim 12mm scythe fans

these SG03 can fit about any length GPU if you move the fan around
 
Hey tvih! I have a build in mind thats really freaking similar to your SG03 lol. 'cept I'm looking at Scythe Gentle Typhoons with a P55m UD4
Do you have any tips on a first-time builder like me?

Well, there's not much tips needed. The SG03 has its own method of assembly and installation, but (if you're just buying the case instead of just replacing the innards) the provided instructions are quite good at explaining the process. Not that it's that difficult, quite logical actually, but certainly different from most other cases.

I read on a different thread that an alternative to a slim fan is to use four 60mm fans. 60mm fans are thinner. Sounds outrageously inventive.

Problem with that is that most 60mm fans are the same 25mm in thickness as 120mm fans. They're also much, much louder. So at least for me it's not an option.
 
Hello SFF [H]!
I've seen a bird fly, I've seen a pig fly (see District 9) but I haven't seen anybody with a 5870 in a SG03
I've heard tales of people's SG03 containing a 4870x2. By the sounds of it, the 5870 is around the same size (but I don't know if its bigger or smaller!)

Anybody care to speculate if the SG03 can contain the mighty 5870?

The SG03 can fit 12" cards so it should fit.The reason why you havent seen a pic of one in a SG03 yet is probably because how new the 5870 is.
 
This was my answer for the SG04 (slightly OT) from USA Tech Support. Sort of frustrating because although I brought it up, I tried to convey to them just measuring it out wasn't helpful because the length not an exact 11" and would be estimate. You'd think this is one of the things they'd be testing in house to know for themselves with card placement against standard 120mm fans in front. I might just wait for the 5850 and go for price/performance + sure thing.

---------------
Hi,

we haven't try to fit a 11" card but if you can measure from the end of your video card to the front of the case you should be able to find out the free space you have to be sure


Thank You

Joel
www.SilverStonetek.com
13626 Monte Vista Ave Unit, A
Chino, CA 91710
909-465-9596 Tel
909-465-9569 Fax
 
We've found a way to fit a 5870 into the SG03/SG04. However, one of the front fans must be replaced with a slim 120mm fan. Not the most optimal setup, but this is the only way to fit (or just remove the lower fan completely).

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_7004.JPG


For those interested, the fan we used is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Stream-Kaze-Jyuni-SY1212H-2000RPM/dp/B002CYRROY
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
We've found a way to fit a 5870 into the SG03/SG04. However, one of the front fans must be replaced with a slim 120mm fan. Not the most optimal setup, but this is the only way to fit (or just remove the lower fan completely).

http://silverstone-usa.com/images/SG03/IMG_6998.JPG
http://silverstone-usa.com/images/SG03/IMG_7004.JPG

For those interested, the fan we used is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Stream-Kaze-Jyuni-SY1212H-2000RPM/dp/B002CYRROY


Tony, can you please take a look at this post and let me know what you know about it?
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034775411&postcount=357

Thanks. Sorry for the OT post everyone.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Tony. While we are at it, do you happen to know if you guys have any plan to sell the SG04 without a handle in Europe? Can't seem to find it anywhere...

Sorry for another OT post.
 
We've found a way to fit a 5870 into the SG03/SG04. However, one of the front fans must be replaced with a slim 120mm fan. Not the most optimal setup, but this is the only way to fit (or just remove the lower fan completely).

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_7004.JPG


For those interested, the fan we used is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Stream-Kaze-Jyuni-SY1212H-2000RPM/dp/B002CYRROY

Wow, talk about direct GPU cooling. :D Did you get any temp tests? I'm curious if that set up restricted cooling for the inner components or made it worse.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
At some point the motherboard form factor is not going to matter...ha.These things are huge!!!! Where is the small form factor for video cards.

Thanks Tony for showing this to us.
 
Yeah, ATI & nVidia really need to micro size things down some. Funny how things are getting smaller but in recent years video cards have not.In fact they are growing.
 
dual 5870 CF here i come

just to confirm that is the scythe 120mm slim fan? 12mm thick?

its kinda amazing how boards are getting smaller yet graphics card is getting bigger
 
Yep, get the high end video cards down in size where they'll fit on the mobos *and* in the cases that house ITX mobos and then watch ITX really take off.
 
I',m really impressed with those LGA 1156's mITX boards, If you've read up on the mattinv's thread, Hes starting on a mITX case which is smaller than a sg05, uses a ATX PSU and can fit an ATI 5870. Now put all those together with an 1156 chip and you've got one tanky lil portable shoebox
 
just out of curiosity

would 5970 fit?



not that it matters now that i've stuffed 2x 5870 in my sg03 but who know if i might become crazy enough for a pair of 5970
 
just out of curiosity
would 5970 fit?
not that it matters now that i've stuffed 2x 5870 in my sg03 but who know if i might become crazy enough for a pair of 5970

No I don't think it would. How much clearance do you have with your 5870s? That's your answer.
 
if the 5870 was that close, then its a definite no on the 5970, according to [H] review, that monster weighs in at 12.5"
 
if the 5870 was that close, then its a definite no on the 5970, according to [H] review, that monster weighs in at 12.5"

Exactly. Seeing that you have to have a slim fan or no fan at all with the 5870, there is no way that the 5970 will fit.
 
I know the SG02 can fit 12" cards (the tagline is repeated on every other website review :()

But this is a SG03 thread (from what I can tell, the SG03 is a 'high end' version of the SG02).
 
the thing is i dont have 5970 to actually try and fit it, but it isnt that much longer, without the slim fan it looks like it still have a decent amount of space left

with a slim fan i still have a few mm clearance to it and perhaps no fan and some modding on the fan filter it "might" just fit

just a thought really

i'd really love to see a pair of 5970 in a sg03 or any sugo
 
The SG03 fits all known cards far as I know. Havent seen one yet that didn't fit. If nVidia and ATI lengthen the cards one more time then we're gonna have problems.
 
The SG03 fits all known cards far as I know. Havent seen one yet that didn't fit. If nVidia and ATI lengthen the cards one more time then we're gonna have problems.

Well if you look at the pic posted by Tony Ou with the 5870, it is right up against the slim fan. The 5970's PCB is longer by another inch so I doubt it will fit.
 
Huh, not me. I don't see the point.

not so much about the point but the fact that it can be done

ether way anyone who talks dual GPU isnt one that care about the money or point but one that cares about getting the most frames possible

and i just like the idea that so much power can be packed into such a small system
 
Back
Top