ATI X800XT PE Discontinued???

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
Here is an interesting thread someone brought to my attention...

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33774409

nolt said:
in its latest strategic move to sidestep the mountain of underpriced preorders stacked against itself, gateway has now begun to tell preorder holders that ati is discontinuing production of the x800 xt pe.

for those of you desperately clinging to the prospect of getting an xt pe for the price of a pro your ill fated hopes are being systematically reeled from your clutches.

few people still keeping their preorder with gateway open really expect to get the card from them at this point, but i thought this latest development was amusing.

thongaxp said:
actually they only sell the PCi-e ones. I actually have 2 of them which we got thru dell in a couple of new systems. Our dell account manager stated that they wouldn;t have AGP ones as they have a special deal with ATI for the X800XT PCIe cards.

3_Stooges_Nuke said:
If you read the messages around here often then you would have known that the card REALLY IS getting dumped. I said this a month ago. They are going to sell through their current chips and a new model is coming out. Best Buy can also confirm that the X800Xt PE is discontinued. My conversations with ATI also lead down this path.

john19055 said:
I done had a BestBuy manager tell me me that is why they cancelled my order that I had been waiting two months is because the card is discontinued.I no it was bullsh!t but she cancelled it anyway.I now have two cards ordered one a 6800Ultra and a X800XTPE and witch ever one I get first is the card I am going with this time.Either card has is good points and I don't think I am going wrong witch ever one I get first.

They should of just called it the X800XT PE LE (Limited Edition) or better yet, the X800XT PE NA (Not Available) lol.

Yeah, it did seem like something was up. That doesn't necessarily make the news an entirely bad thing... maybe people with x800 Pros can unlock 4 working pipelines most often than expected. :p

br1zz0 said:
wtf a store down my street has a few XTPE's
If that were true, you could make a killing by buying those and reselling on ebay. Give me the store name/location or phone number and I'll call them. :p

enter the flame bait. I see all the usual suspects are already present.

br1zz0 said:
wtf a store down my street has a few XTPE's
You sure you aren't thinking about X800 Pros? Those exist and can be found around, but no X800 XT PEs.

Since the Pro is only a 12-pipe design, it really makes you wonder if ATI isn't having serious problems with yields - having chips with all 16 pipes 'good' being, apparently, fairly rare.

burningrave101 said:
They should of just called it the X800XT PE LE (Limited Edition) or better yet, the X800XT PE NA (Not Available) lol.

I think that x800 ultra extreme would have been a nice name, tihihi

Probably trying to reduce the number of high-end cards so that they can introduce the X880XT PCI-E and not have it flop.

Pardon the ignorance, but will this mean the flagship ATi AGP card will be the X800 Pro, or do they still plan to offer an X800 PE equivalent for AGP systems?

All I see is that they are discontinuing the AGP version and replacing it with the PCIe version. Makes sense to me since PCIe demand isn't that high so less people (those with AGP) either upgrade to PCIe or go with the X800 Pro which can actually be found in some places.

It_The_Cow said:
Pardon the ignorance, but will this mean the flagship ATi AGP card will be the X800 Pro, or do they still plan to offer an X800 PE equivalent for AGP systems?

I would guess that they're are going to keep it around on paper as their flagship till the next cards come out...I don't think this is an official discontinuation...

I found 2 VisionTek x800XT PE cards:
$559 http://www.computerbrain.com/cbisys/buy.asp?main=VideoCards&title=Visiontek&id=104
$579 http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=64542

And of course the x800 Pro is pretty readily available online... pricewatch has 7 pages of listings and most are in stock.

For comparison, there are zero "6800 Ultra Extreme" cards on pricewatch, about 3 pages of real 6800 Ultras (not the fake Gainward "Ultras", mostly out of stock), 3 pages of 6800GTs, and 3 pages of 6800NUs. That's not intended as flamage, but that is pretty pathetic for both to have such limited availability almost 2 months after "shipping."

Is it possible that ATI is just doing a respin of the R420 core?

Maybe after doom 3 they just couldn't handle it lost control and gave up on it. hah or not :p

This lends some credibility to the rumor of a new SM3.0 ATI part in October, if true.

Or, it means that their yields are incredibly poor.

I hope it's the former.

bboynitrous said:
Maybe after doom 3 they just couldn't handle it lost control and gave up on it. hah or not :p

rofl

I would probably say OR NOT but its pretty funny nonetheless. :D

Its too bad Humus can't come up with a HACK that makes X800XT PE's available for purchase lol.

Rizen said:
This lends some credibility to the rumor of a new SM3.0 ATI part in October, if true.

Or, it means that their yields are incredibly poor.

I hope it's the former.

God knows they've had plenty of time to get r500 out the door. October seems like believable time-frame...just seems like the rumor mill would be stirring a bit more if it were that close...I guess they did find out the codename the other day...that's something...

Here's my question...to be PS3.0 compatible they have to go from 24 bit to 32 bit plus add a bunch of other stuff...so they'll be in the same boat as nv...a lot more transistors, a lot less clock speed...I'm wildly curious to see how much performance they get out if it...

I'm equally curious about the next nv card that'll be a refresh of the nv40...I wonder how much speed they'll be able to get out of it...

bboynitrous said:
lol, how much could I sell my x800 pro for? Anyone know? I need a 6800 GT :eek:

lol...if you already have one why bother switching...it's not like the x800pro is slow...

bboynitrous said:
lol, how much could I sell my x800 pro for? Anyone know? I need a 6800 GT :eek:

I bet you could get close to $400 or maybe even a little more off Ebay. I dont really know what their selling for.

I'd like to get my hands on a couple of X800XT PE's so i could sell them on Ebay and use the profits to build a new killer gaming rig lol.

nonon, they were X800XTPE, guy emailed me saying he had a few in stock

where are those guys that argued with me that the x800 lines will be in the graveyard by next year? :D :eek: :cool:

Seriously would be nice to get an apology, ingorance is bliss, until they open thier mouth.

This doesn't make sense to me...I used to think that Nvidia and Ati were in the same sinking boat with low gddr3 yields but now it seems like something else is up. It doesn't make good business sense to alienate thousands of customers wanting a agp version by forcing them to go to pci-e, so I think they are doing a major core rework...hmm :confused:

well if they are really discountinued, then i guess its 6800U for me

joemama said:
This doesn't make sense to me...I used to think that Nvidia and Ati were in the same sinking boat with low gddr3 yields but now it seems like something else is up. It doesn't make good business sense to alienate thousands of customers wanting a agp version by forcing them to go to pci-e, so I think they are doing a major core rework...hmm :confused:
My guess would be that ATI is have a problem with low yields so a move to PCIe, which the adoption rate is pretty low, makes sense to me.

br1zz0 said:
well if they are really discountinued, then i guess its 6800U for me

Just save yourself $100 and buy a 6800GT. Its the best buy out there and you should be able to find some in stock.

The 6800GT's will clock past Ultra speeds and are plenty fast for todays CPU's. Unless you run 1600x1200 you'll be CPU limited even on a GT in the majority of games probably.

There are some pretty kickass looking 6800GT's out there now.

^eMpTy^ said:
Here's my question...to be PS3.0 compatible they have to go from 24 bit to 32 bit plus add a bunch of other stuff...so they'll be in the same boat as nv...a lot more transistors, a lot less clock speed...I'm wildly curious to see how much performance they get out if it...
I don't know what to think here, really. The current ATI part is clocked much faster than the comparable NV part, (though it has 62million transistors less) but if the current problem is yields, that doesn't bode well for a future performance piece. I'm not sure what to think, really? Maybe they will move to a 110nm process?

It does seem like most signs point to a re-worked ATI core being released soon. That's definately interesting, and it might upset the playing field quite a bit, as it stands. Hmm... wonder what ATI's got up their sleeve. They do seem to keep a better lid on things that Nvidia, places like the inquirer always seem to find Nvidia leaks a month or so before things are announced.

CrimandEvil said:
My guess would be that ATI is have a problem with low yields so a move to PCIe, which the adoption rate is pretty low, makes sense to me.

It doesn't make much sense to do that but you never know what their thinking.

If they move to PCI-E their going to lose a ton of sales because people aren't going to upgrade their CPU and Motherboard just for an already expensive video card upgrade.

I don't see how this is going to work. SM3 costs 60 million transistors. This hurts yeilds. If ATI is already having problems with its yeilds an extra 60 million transistors isn't what the doctor ordered. I don't find the ATI SM3 Card rumours to make much sense right now.

^eMpTy^ said:
lol...if you already have one why bother switching...it's not like the x800pro is slow...

The 6800 is way faster on doom 3 :(. But doesn't matter I guess, it's not a complete slideshow on this card. I will probably keep it. I don't know. If I could get 400 bucks for it I might just sell it. I did buy it for MSRP. I didn't get completely ripped and buy it off newegg for 50-60 more than MSRP. I bought it when the GT was getting hosed by the pro, so thats' how I made my decision. At least is overclocks well though. I hope ATI didn't abandon the x800's just yet

well if the GT can clock past Ultra speeds, then can you tell me both of their clock speeds are and can you past ultra speeds with air?. (some sites i saw say different on clock speeds)

The GT is clocked at 350/1ghz, and the Ultra is at 400/1100 I think. Might be wrong about the memory speeds. I think most all GT's can go past utlra speeds on the core, even if you hit ultra speeds, you are getting something for nothing.

Back