ATI Radeon X1950 Announced

About time they changed that cooler.

Hopefully this one isnt a hairdryer.

Looks pretty cool though.
 
Megalomaniac said:
and i just baught my 1900xt!!!
:mad:
why are you mad?
I did the samething today, bought a 1900Xt

this new cards that are coming dont look much different than the x1900 series

in the link I dont see anything exciting about it, although that cooler looks cool indeed.
 
So...what is so impressive about it?

Same core, but GDDR4 at higher clocks, but does that mean higher performance? I'd say only a minor difference at best.
 
that is one funky cooler. the only thing i liked about the old one was how it sucked air in from the back, letting you put a card underneath without restricting airflow.
 
ooooo copper base that covers core and memory, nice.

edit: the article also states there will be a X1900XT card that will have 256mb GDDR3 memory, same clock speeds. cost is $300.
 
Oh, brother. Just release the new card. They already have the fastest single card on the market. It's like forum troll wars with multi-million dollar companies.
 
With GDDR4 at 3.2GHz, wouldn't that be 102.4 GB/s on a 256bit memory bus? That's quite a bit of bandwidth. I wonder what kind of latency it has...
 
when GDDR4 was originally introduced it was at about double the latency of GDDR3, apparently they fixed that problem and its a bit better then the situation with DDR1 - DDR2

GDDR4 on this card should be very kickass, also the X1K ring bus should be happier with the extra speed and help with the extra latencies
 
Oh wow...
I'd love to say "I can't wait till this comes out so I can buy a X1900XT for cheap!" but I'm waiting for the R600 :(
 
robberbaron said:
With GDDR4 at 3.2GHz, wouldn't that be 102.4 GB/s on a 256bit memory bus? That's quite a bit of bandwidth. I wonder what kind of latency it has...

baron, the latency is 2000. i heard it straight from a guy at ATI, i calls em up and asked, "whats the latency", and he goes back "ehh its 2000." and i go "nano seconds" and he goes, "nah, just 2000"
 
robberbaron said:
With GDDR4 at 3.2GHz, wouldn't that be 102.4 GB/s on a 256bit memory bus? That's quite a bit of bandwidth. I wonder what kind of latency it has...

yeah, 3.2GHz would be 102 GB/sec

that would be double the bandwidth that we have today with the fastest card
 
I have mixed feelings about that cooler, reminds me of the ASUS Vento case in some wys :(
 
Isn't it a bit worrying how powerful the reference coolers on some gfx cards are now? Power reqirements and heat just keep ramping up...
 
very sleek cooler, but this could be bad for crossfire setups with the 2 cards so close, the top card would almost literally be sucking hot air up off the top of the 2nd card...

[EDIT] Since ATI has GDDR4 now, i am sure NVIDIA has it in their hands as well, so how long until the 7950 turns into a 7975 or 7999 or 7950.5


i am, sure NVIDIA will counter with some remade 7900 GDDR4 cards, or drop prices on current GDDR3 cards.
 
Wow those look badass.

I hope these don't go RMA crazy like the 7900's. :(
 
Here is what I consider to be the best point beyond the GDDR4.

...and the only major difference between the two is that the CrossFire X1950 houses the composite engine and input interfaces for CrossFire.

That means no more external composite chip on the PCB, and would move the new Radeon closer to supporting Crossfire with any two Radeon cards, basically just like you have now with SLI.
 
I think they meant the difference between a regular card and a crossfire card is still the same as before. Since they haven't changed the die the need for the external chip on the board is still there.
 
Anarchist4000 said:
I think they meant the difference between a regular card and a crossfire card is still the same as before. Since they haven't changed the die the need for the external chip on the board is still there.

???

It says it is a major difference, and that the chip houses the composite and interface for Crossfire. I read this to indicate that a third party chip for this function is no longer needed, and is now part of the chip itself.
 
Both cards feature 512MB GDDR4, and the only major difference between the two is that the CrossFire X1950 houses the composite engine and input interfaces for CrossFire.

I read that to mean there will be a XTX and a Crossfire with additional components on the PCB(card), not the chip itself. They didn't have to change the die to get the GDDR4 support so I'd imagine they left things how they were and just started pairing it up with the faster memory. That way they could use all their current chips and just add faster memory to it instead of producing two different chips.
 
I can't help is it's the first thing that popped into my head. It's like a "ventette."
 
That article was written very poorly and I had to read it a few times to understand it. So ATi is releasing a new xtx card with gddr4 and another card without the xt or xtx moniker and putting 256 megs on the card and selling it cheaper.... right?
 
MrSneis said:
That article was written very poorly and I had to read it a few times to understand it. So ATi is releasing a new xtx card with gddr4 and another card without the xt or xtx moniker and putting 256 megs on the card and selling it cheaper.... right?
So far as I read it ATi is comming out with a new card the 1950xtx as well as a 1900 (sans xt or xtx) to be a low cost 1900 line card.
 
Darakian said:
So far as I read it ATi is comming out with a new card the 1950xtx as well as a 1900 (sans xt or xtx) to be a low cost 1900 line card.

lol I think so...but just how much better is gddr4??
 
Obi_Kwiet said:
Oh, brother. Just release the new card. They already have the fastest single card on the market. It's like forum troll wars with multi-million dollar companies.

I take it you don't see the 7950GX2 as being a "single" card?
 
Daggah said:
I take it you don't see the 7950GX2 as being a "single" card?

Firstly it needs SLi to work correctly, and secondly it has two PCB's. How on earth can it be considered a single card? It's a stellar performer, but it's about as elegant as a rhino attempting to waltz.
 
Obi_Kwiet said:
Oh, brother. Just release the new card. They already have the fastest single card on the market. It's like forum troll wars with multi-million dollar companies.

Said who???
 
Back
Top