ATI Radeon Used In Next Generation Apple Computers

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced that the world renowned ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 series, now found in some of the highest performance iMac and Mac Pro configurations, complements Snow Leopard's fully compliant OpenCL Version 1.0 implementation. As an open standard specification, OpenCL is a key enabler of ATI Stream technology, which allows developers to create highly efficient applications balanced across CPU and GPU resources for superior performance running on Snow Leopard systems.

if microsoft is struggling to get people to play pc games even after they skinned windows live to act just like an xbox... i still dont see how apple could find a niche. granted though, most everyone i know that has a mac does have a desire to play games on it...

Hm, so now they have drivers for every major graphics card right ? Intel in first Intel Macs, then NVIDIA in latest ones, and now AMD/ATI :). They should switch to AMD CPU and chipset too, so hackintosh would be even easier to make :D.

Hm, so now they have drivers for every major graphics card right ? Intel in first Intel Macs, then NVIDIA in latest ones, and now AMD/ATI :). They should switch to AMD CPU and chipset too, so hackintosh would be even easier to make :D.

You do know AMD CPU's suck wind these days.

It's not like the old days when Athlon was giving them a serious run for their money.

It's not like the old days when Athlon was giving them a serious run for their money.

AMD Phenom II does not "suck wind". They're not as fast as the i7, but they're decently on par with the Cores. Just because they won't win any benchmarks doesn't make them "suck wind". :rolleyes:

I'm an owner of a Radeon 4890 1GB and it rocks. How does a 4800 compare to the 4890?

AMD Phenom II does not "suck wind". They're not as fast as the i7, but they're decently on par with the Cores. Just because they won't win any benchmarks doesn't make them "suck wind". :rolleyes:

I'm an owner of a Radeon 4890 1GB and it rocks. How does a 4800 compare to the 4890?

4800 series not the 4800.. meaning all of the 48XX cards.. also the phenom II does suck wind.

It is not the point of my post. The point was - if Apple will continue with this hardware supplier change every generation, soon making of hackintosh will be nothing else than faking the EFI, as every driver for all graphics card, CPU's, chipsets will be in OS X :D

4800 series not the 4800.. meaning all of the 48XX cards.. also the phenom II does suck wind.

Phenom II doesn't suck wind. And I'm a intel guy too. For some reason AMD has never been able to get their chips to get 16-17sec on 1M on SuperPI... you have to clock 4GHz+ it seems for that, my 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo can do that with ease. But other then that, these new AMD chips are pretty awesome (not compared to Nehalem).

It is not the point of my post. The point was - if Apple will continue with this hardware supplier change every generation, soon making of hackintosh will be nothing else than faking the EFI, as every driver for all graphics card, CPU's, chipsets will be in OS X :D

Well why don't you start wishing motherboard makers would stop using BIOS and start using EFI too? Then there wouldn't even be a need for faking that.

Back