ATI R600 Confirmations on Size and Power

I think we've received specs in rumour form :/
64SP
512B mem
512-1GB mem gddr3 or gddr4
:D ?

Exactly. Nothing more than rumors. And all it does is add up to the hype others and I mentioned before.
AMD/ATI doesn't make money out of hype, unless they have a secret that allows them to do just that. Make money out of a phantom super card...

so what does that point have to do with what I'm saying :< You asked him to prove why he thinks R600 will be faster, I just posted a glimpse of that proof for you thats all, I have no idea how R600 will do against a G81 or G90 :p nore do I care :D I'll buy which ever card WORKS and fits my needs! just stating the point for you thats all

and to Zeus, I've built my own machines since my P3 500E, and I've never run into a problem this drastic, do you play games on your 8800GTS? I actually find it hard to believe, even with XP was released, the only real problem I had with xp was some older games were not designed to run on the NT/2k/XP kernal vs 98, and that was it. I've built bleeding edge hardware systems and i've done value systems and NEVER have i run into such a huge wall like this one where I had to actually downgrade my OS to use a piece of hardware that was designed for that OS.

Honestly I think you're one of those people who defend a company to justify their purchase, When I pay for something I expect it to work, specially when its such a high end and expensive product. I didn't have a problem with my 7900,7800,6800 cards under xp nor did I have any problems with my X1800/X1900 cards under XP(And they were "new hardware")
I'm not attacking Nvidia for their products sucking, more for their claims.

AND

I'm not attacking MS, nor am I blaming them I'm solely blaming NV for their DX10 hardware not working up to MS DX10 and Vista spec, who knows how ATI is doing , probably better since they worked with MS on R500 maybe not, who knows

BTW I'm happy with my purchase, its by far one of the best cards(next to an 8800GTX) to buy for XP and gaming in general as long as you stay away from Vista =)

Hmm I've seen alot of problems with 95, XP, XP 64 bit, everything from hardware driver problems, to software incompatibilies and when I spend 5k or higher for a software or hardware piece I expect it to work with new operating systems without flaw and not wait for a few months for updates and fixes but thats life, you can bitch about a $500 card but ya know what its not that bad. Vista is just the same and to a point worse because of the amount of money you have to spend for a Vista system (requirements) is much higher then previous operating systems by MS.

Since the gffx's nV's cores have been very similiar till the g80 (this is the 3rd time in nV's history they have remade thier entire chip from scratch), On ATi's side, the r300 has given birth to everything all the way up to the x1900 series, although ATi departed with the ring bus and programmable memory controller the x1900 shader compiler is still very similiar.
This is why drivers don't seem to much of a problem for nV's and ATi pre g80 cards. Now throw Vista into the mix, yeah you will see some issues, it will take time for the drivers to mature.

Exactly. Nothing more than rumors. And all it does is add up to the hype others and I mentioned before.
AMD/ATI doesn't make money out of hype, unless they have a secret that allows them to do just that. Make money out of a phantom super card...

infinium labs!

Is this whole thread not much more than pure conjecture (other than semi-official stats Kyle & others have on hand)? We have NOTHING else to go on here, no architecture details (like the purty detail of the workflow of the GPU and/or core detail pics and the like), no core/memory speeds, no REAL leaked (or otherwise) benches and the like. Personally, I think R600 is going to be a pretty big flop, much like Kyle stated (paraphrasing) another "5800" dustbuster cock-up this time around, just on the AMD foot this time. Their (AMD) almost absolute silence on both the CPU and GPU fronts is what is most disconcerting to me in all of this.

Regardless though, ATI (and now AMD of course long since finalized the sale) has dropped the ball BIG time on releasing new tech (in a timely manner) - and NV more almost certainly (pretty much confirmed with all the fairly reliable "leaks" barring official sources) will be releasing their answer to R600. They've had far too much lead time on AMD, and complete working drivers or not, the best choice, both performance *and* power draw wise at the moment is NV. I just hope for AMDs sake all this extra time has allowed them to work on the successor to R600 quietly, so they can start off on the next-next-gen quickly - much like what happened to R500 (right?). AMD has got their hands in too many cookie jars these days, and I don't want to see one close on them as it were.

[edit] And isn't it Infinium Labs - Infineon (now Qimonda?) is the memory maker. Anyway, they're now Phantom Entertainment I believe.
The Company is in the development of its flagship product the Phantom Game Service, anticipated to be the first end-to-end, on-demand game service delivering online games directly to your living room.
Umm, doesn't Xbox Live already do this? Hah PGS will never see the light of day, nice drain of $100M+ (?) investors money - the only real product to come out from all that is the lapboard (are they even shipping yet?). I have yet to come across anyone, anywhere that proclaimed getting the ($130) lapboard setup.

Is this whole thread not much more than pure conjecture (other than semi-official stats Kyle & others have on hand)? We have NOTHING else to go on here, no architecture details (like the purty detail of the workflow of the GPU and/or core detail pics and the like), no core/memory speeds, no REAL leaked (or otherwise) benches and the like. Personally, I think R600 is going to be a pretty big flop, much like Kyle stated (paraphrasing) another "5800" dustbuster cock-up this time around, just on the AMD foot this time. Their (AMD) almost absolute silence on both the CPU and GPU fronts is what is most disconcerting to me in all of this.

Regardless though, ATI (and now AMD of course long since finalized the sale) has dropped the ball BIG time on releasing new tech (in a timely manner) - and NV more almost certainly (pretty much confirmed with all the fairly reliable "leaks" barring official sources) will be releasing their answer to R600. They've had far too much lead time on AMD, and complete working drivers or not, the best choice, both performance *and* power draw wise at the moment is NV. I just hope for AMDs sake all this extra time has allowed them to work on the successor to R600 quietly, so they can start off on the next-next-gen quickly - much like what happened to R500 (right?). AMD has got their hands in too many cookie jars these days, and I don't want to see one close on them as it were.

[edit] And isn't is Infinium Labs - Infineon (now Qimonda?) is the memory maker. Anyway, they're now Phantom Entertainment I believe.

Umm, doesn't Xbox Live already do this? Hah PGS will never see the light of day, nice drain of $100M+ (?) investors money - the only real product to come out from all that is the lapboard (are they even shipping yet?).

Sorry my bad about infinium

Crysis will be the proof in the pudding and my money is on the R600 and Barcelona.

Moreover, the Crysis team had what, two months with the 8800GTX :rolleyes: yea I'm sure the game will be heavily skewed with only a 2-4 month advantage...even though the R600 is rumored to have twice as much memory bandwidth compared to the 8800GTX.

Absolutely correct we all have zero info on what the R600 holds, so all we have to fall back on is ATi's past releases and performance. On that note I for sure am not worried one bit.

The same holds true for Barcelona. I love to read how many here have somehow come to the conclusion AMD is done for when anyone who looks at the architecture knows AMD is FAR ahead of Intel. Not to mention the past 6+ years of phenomenal performance.

The R600 will not be another 5800 and to be frank I am rather ticked Brent would make that statement publicly before his official review. I thought it was the policy of this site to not discuss any future product until official releases. Because many people will listen to Brent even though there is not any evidence to back his statement. Brent should know better than that. I expect as always (and has been) for Brent to be neutral and let the numbers and his experiences speak for themselves.

But as always we are going to see those who did buy the 8800GTX defend their purchase to the hilt just because they want to justify their purchase.I have been buying every major card since my first Diamond V550 and I have complete faith ATi will come out with a winner.

Constantine, without wanting to be directly rude, you are the perfect example of a blinded fan boy.

"Rumors indicate that", "It may seem like", "It is believed that" ... yadda yadda.

Speculations is all it is, you have no facts nor proofs to back up that statement that the R600 will be superior in DX10 games.

The WHOLE DX10 argument aside, the 8800GTX is the fastest card on the planet. The fact people buy it RIGHT NOW is not because it will be able to play Crysis in 6 months, it's because it's just fast, very fast. It beats the X1950XT without breaking a sweat, and I heard today on the news nVidia's president was rushed into an emergency surgery to repair a whole in his stomach because he laughed too much at ATI's screw up...

We have benchmarks and detailed tests and specs to say the Nvidia G80 chip is impressive. The fact that ATI keeps pushing the release date (how long has it been now? 8 months in total when those two months until May are done?) is cause for concern.

Why would they leave all the market to nVidia if they had a good product to compete with? EVEN if at launch the R600 gives you a 10&#37; performance boost versus the 8800GTX, you think it will mean they have won when looking back at months and months of lost sales because they screwed up? Not even talking about pissing off the client base here...

Nobody cares about the DX10 drivers yet because nobody needs them. I just know that between spending 380&#8364; for an X1950XT which is old technology and 525&#8364; for a 8800GTX (145&#8364; difference for 25++% peformance boost?) that I am sure will last me a while, I'd go for the Nvidia. Do I have a choice?

Stop defending ATI based on rumors and calling them facts... if the R600 truly is superior to the G80 then Ill gladly sell my 8800GTX and get the R600. Until then, why all the anger about Nvidia? They pwned ATI for this round, can't you just accept it?

Thanks

Crysis will be the proof in the pudding and my money is on the R600 and Barcelona.

Moreover, the Crysis team had what, two months with the 8800GTX :rolleyes: yea I'm sure the game will be heavily skewed with only a 2-4 month advantage...even though the R600 is rumored to have twice as much memory bandwidth compared to the 8800GTX.

2 months its more like a year ;), I wouldn't say the game will be intentially skewed to the g80, but Crysis dx10 has definitly been built for the most part on a g80 because of the little time that the r600 has been around in dev's hands.

Sorry it would be more then a year now.

[RIP]Zeus;1030764940 said:
ATI does not have a DX10 for the masses yet.

nVidia has a DX10 being sold to the masses for some time now.

I know the truth hurts.. But somtimes thats the facts of life :D

Yes and Nvidia DX10 drivers just plain suck. To think a game developer had to go through the nightmare known as 8800 and DX10 software is amazing to me. The hardware was great but I can not stand for lies and desception, therefore my 8800GTX and 680i got sold. That hardware paired with Vista was the worst experience of my computing life; just glad I can actually browse the internet without the video card driver stopping. Now if NV could stop pushing alpha type crap at the consumer and AMD would actually release something we might have a win win for the consumer. Maybe each manufacture could learn something from each other.

Why would they leave all the market to nVidia if they had a good product to compete with? EVEN if at launch the R600 gives you a 10% performance boost versus the 8800GTX, you think it will mean they have won when looking back at months and months of lost sales because they screwed up? Not even talking about pissing off the client base here...

First, there are yield issues. Mabye they don't have the manufacturing process down yet. This has plagued many ATI cards in the past. Second, Brisbane. It's not just ATi anymore. AMD wants to use the R600 to promote their new CPU, something far more important to the company as a whole. Sure they may be making the enthusiast community mad, but they're not primarily an enthusiast company anymore. Loosing some ground in the high end niche market, may tick us of, but in the long run it's not as important to them as getting their CPU sales up again.

Yes and Nvidia DX10 drivers just plain suck. To think a game developer had to go through the nightmare known as 8800 and DX10 software is amazing to me.

While I do not take part on any speculations going on in this thread, I will say that this comment makes sense. Nvidias DX10 drivers are in ALPHA state and I have hard time believing that G80 will have the same kinda advantage over DX10 titles than the R9700 had on its DX9 days.

Seeing in how sad state Nvidias Vista drivers are, you have to have a pretty convincing argument to make me believe that G80 drivers are fit for DX10 development.

Constantine, without wanting to be directly rude, you are the perfect example of a blinded fan boy.

I think there is a policy on this forum against personal attacks :confused:

and I heard today on the news nVidia's president was rushed into an emergency surgery to repair a whole in his stomach because he laughed too much at ATI's screw up...

Well I can only quess what ATI side is doing about Nvidias Vista screw up :rolleyes: You see when you start throwing dirt, it usually goes both ways just as easily.

The fact that ATI keeps pushing the release date (how long has it been now? 8 months in total when those two months until May are done?) is cause for concern.

Concern for some but I have quite strong feeling that ATI just did not want another FX5800 on their hands. Probably better to skip the whole generation while you still have a well selling product on your hands than smear your face with an inferior product.

Stop defending ATI based on rumors and calling them facts... if the R600 truly is superior to the G80 then Ill gladly sell my 8800GTX and get the R600. Until then, why all the anger about Nvidia? They pwned ATI for this round, can't you just accept it?

First rule of Forum Club is that you cant convert everybody into your point of view.

Second rule of Forum club is ... I bet you remember that movie ;)

A very major assumption many in this thread are making is that the R600's drivers are automatically going to be better than the drivers for the Geforce 8800. Sure, their DX9 drivers are fine in both Vista and XP. Anyone want to take bets that the R600 drivers, when the card is first released, will have issues, as well?

That is a very large assumption. No matter how fast the hardware potentially is, if the drivers and software don't expose that potential, it is of no use.

A very major assumption many in this thread are making is that the R600's drivers are automatically going to be better than the drivers for the Geforce 8800. Sure, their DX9 drivers are fine in both Vista and XP. Anyone want to take bets that the R600 drivers, when the card is first released, will have issues, as well?

That is a very large assumption. No matter how fast the hardware potentially is, if the drivers and software don't expose that potential, it is of no use.

I'll bet against that. NVIDIA can't get DX9 or DX10 drivers working correctly in Vista. ATI can at least get DX9 parts working (very well I might add), and if their DX9 track record is any indication of DX10 driver support, I think we can expect some very nice DX10 drivers from ATI on R600 launch date.

Well one thing is for sure, if Nvidia somehow pulls another rabbit out from the hat and releases killer drivers for G80 once R600 is out, theres going to be enthustiastics on barricades for sure :D

But seeing how things are thats a mere joke, I don´t think Nvidia could delay drivers at this point even if they wanted to.

My apologies for offending anyone, I wasnt attacking him by calling him a fan boy more than proving my point that people are not able to logically debate on a subject without letting their personal feelings or patriotism for a company cloud their judgment. It would be like telling a Republican he is a Republican. It's not an insult as far as I am concerned, but some people will find it pejorative nonetheless. It's a lot of perspective...

Whatever the arguments are, they are all based on speculations and rumors. All we know for sure is that they delayed the R600 once again to review their market strategy, as AMD said. This is all we know for sure.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to my point of view, just trying to open their eyes to their blatant lack of logical thinking behind their argumentation. Bashing either company is irrelevant. They have both made excellent products in the past, there was a time when AMD ruled the processor market and ATI had the best cards. In fact, I have never owned an nVidia product and always bought Radeon products all my life.

It simply disturbs me greatly the bashing of Nvidia to defend ATI's name. Nvidia actually showed us they are in the game now ... all we officially have about the R600 is some generic photo of an OEM model. AFAIK no specs have been officially communicated by ATI yet...

I hope your faith is well placed !

While I do not take part on any speculations going on in this thread, I will say that this comment makes sense. Nvidias DX10 drivers are in ALPHA state and I have hard time believing that G80 will have the same kinda advantage over DX10 titles than the R9700 had on its DX9 days.

Seeing in how sad state Nvidias Vista drivers are, you have to have a pretty convincing argument to make me believe that G80 drivers are fit for DX10 development.

Last I checked in NVIDIA's forum, the drivers are in no way in a "sad state". There are still problems of course, but they are being sorted out and most games seem to run as good as they did in XP.

Also, you can bet DX10 support is being given to developers, while they create their games. Crysis is a good example of that and other titles that take advantage of DX10 features, are too. I don't know if the 8800's will have the same advantage the 9770 Pro had, but they WILL have an advantage over R600. The fact that you ignore this, is actually very funny to me.

But in the end, the biggest problem is the same I've been mentioning over and over...AMD/ATI is so late in the game, that it doesn't matter how good R600 is, because NVIDIA will stomp it with a refreshed and improved version of G80.

I'll bet against that. NVIDIA can't get DX9 or DX10 drivers working correctly in Vista. ATI can at least get DX9 parts working (very well I might add), and if their DX9 track record is any indication of DX10 driver support, I think we can expect some very nice DX10 drivers from ATI on R600 launch date.

Very well ? Don't you read the threads in this forum ? ATI card owners have problems with Vista drivers too.
And the major problem that NVIDIA had with their DX9 parts, was that SLI support, was only given in the last driver update. The rest is fine, last I checked. I know I have no problems with my card.

And I'm sure ATI will have better drivers too. They NEED it. Just don't expect them to be as good as you think. A new architecture will require some time to fine tune the drivers.

Well I can only quess what ATI side is doing about Nvidias Vista screw up :rolleyes: You see when you start throwing dirt, it usually goes both ways just as easily.

Yeah, I bet they're laughing while saying "Hey they're making money out of their cards and we are not, but their drivers suck..."

You see, from a company's standpoint, which is what AMD/ATI is, what you said makes no sense...

Concern for some but I have quite strong feeling that ATI just did not want another FX5800 on their hands. Probably better to skip the whole generation while you still have a well selling product on your hands than smear your face with an inferior product.

Totally agree with you here. When the 8800's were released, ATI just was not expecting them to be as good as they are. They needed to revise their specs for R600, because in its current form at the time, it didn't stand a chance against a 8800 GTX, hence all the delays. I just hope that these revised specs, don't just involve extremely high clock frequencies.

Last I checked in NVIDIA's forum, the drivers are in no way in a "sad state". There are still problems of course, but they are being sorted out and most games seem to run as good as they did in XP.

Also, you can bet DX10 support is being given to developers, while they create their games. Crysis is a good example of that and other titles that take advantage of DX10 features, are too. I don't know if the 8800's will have the same advantage the 9770 Pro had, but they WILL have an advantage over R600. The fact that you ignore this, is actually very funny to me.

But in the end, the biggest problem is the same I've been mentioning over and over...AMD/ATI is so late in the game, that it doesn't matter how good R600 is, because NVIDIA will stomp it with a refreshed and improved version of G80.

Considering the amount of people saying where is the proof, well , where is the proof that G80 will be better then R600? since you're making the statement

Beyond3D staff went on record confirming the 512 extenal bus width. That is good enough for me to take that part of the rumor and move it to the fact section as they would not do that unless they were REALLY REALLY sure....

Considering the amount of people saying where is the proof, well , where is the proof that G80 will be better then R600? since you're making the statement

Did you read what I've been saying/typing ? Or you just quote one of my posts randomly ?

I've said countless times already. R600 WILL be better/faster than G80. It HAS to be, but the problem is, it really doesn't matter, because by the time AMD/ATI releases it, NVIDIA will counter it with an refreshed and/or improved version of G80.

So now you ask "Will G81 or G90 or whatever NVIDIA has in mind, be better than R600?" and my answer is simply: yes. Would NVIDIA release something to compete with R600, that it actually can't beat ? Of course not.
It's the exact same reasoning that AMD/ATI used to not release R600 yet. Because they knew their product didn't stand a chance against G80, so they delayed it to improve it and release it on a later date.

Btw, the part that you highlighted in my previous post, is common sense. When ATI released the 9700 Pro, the first DX9 card in the market, it was obvious that they had an advantage over NVIDIA that didn't have a similar product in the market. Now, it is NVIDIA that launched a DX10 card to the market first and it will be NVIDIA having this advantage.

I find it funny that some of you say "ATI isn't stupid, they will have a killer card in their cards", yet you seem to assume NVIDIA is stupid and won't keep the advantage they have right now. Sorry, but that just makes no sense.
Neither company is stupid but right now, it's NVIDIA who has the upper hand and they won't let it slip their hands.

Beyond3D staff went on record confirming the 512 extenal bus width. That is good enough for me to take that part of the rumor and move it to the fact section as they would not do that unless they were REALLY REALLY sure....

Yes, that seems to be a fact, but that's just one of the aspects of the card's specs. Full specs require much more than memory bus and power/size confirmation.

So much talk about non-existant (in retail) hardware. Wow.

How 'bout we wait till we get retail cards in hands?

Did you read what I've been saying lately ? Or you just quote one of my posts randomly ?

I've said countless times already. R600 WILL be better/faster than G80. It HAS to be, but the problem is, it really doesn't matter, because by the time AMD/ATI releases it, NVIDIA will counter it with an refreshed and/or improved version of G80.

So now you ask "Will G81 or G90 or whatever NVIDIA has in mind, be better than R600?" and my answer is simply: yes. Would NVIDIA release something to compete with R600, that it actually can't beat ? Of course not.
It's the exact same reasoning that AMD/ATI decided not to release R600 yet. Because they knew their product didn't stand a chance against G80, so they delayed it to improve it and release it on a lter date.

Btw, the part that you highlighted in my previous post, is common sense. When ATI released the 9700 Pro, the first DX9 card in the market, it was obvious that they had an advantage over NVIDIA that didn't have a similar product in the market. Now, it is NVIDIA that launched a DX10 card to the market first and it will be NVIDIA having this advantage.

I find it funny that some of you say "ATI isn't stupid, they will have a killer card in their cards", yet you seem to assume NVIDIA is stupid and won't keep the advantage they have right now. Sorry, but that just makes no sense.
Neither company is stupid but right now, it's NVIDIA who has the upper hand and they won't let it slip their hands.

I'm just saying =) how do you know G81 wont simply keep up with R600? or be as close as X1900/7900s were. and as we were stating before, its all speculation =p so don't simply lay down the law so to speak

I'm just saying =) how do you know G81 wont simply keep up with R600? or be as close as X1900/7900s were. and as we were stating before, its all speculation =p so don't simply lay down the law so to speak

Will AMD/ATI release something that is not able to beat a 8800 GTX ? No.
Will NVIDIA release their refreshed/improved product, if it doesn't beat R600 when it's launched ? Again, no.

I didn't lay down the law, it's just common sense :)

Will AMD/ATI release something that is not able to beat a 8800 GTX ? No.
Will NVIDIA release their refreshed/improved product, if it doesn't beat R600 when it's launched ? Again, no.

I didn't lay down the law, it's just common sense :)

On the second question, I think they will release the product even if it doesn't beat the R600. Will they release it immediately? Heck no, but they'll try to compete for the enthusiest crowd as they have been for the last few months with their top end.

It is common sense that the R600 will be better than the G80... I mean, ATI will have had 8 months to test the 8800GTX and study it to develop something superior.

The thing is, when the R600 is released, the 8800GTX will probably end up costing less enought to justify buying it over the R600 (bang for your buck argument) and the new 8950XT will cost as much as the R600 but might just be better as well, for the same logical reason Silus mentionned.

Its like Chess, but Nvidia is 2 moves ahead and has extra room to analyse ATI's next move AND correct theirs before they are even at the moment of making their move.

lol, I just hope R600 doesn't turn out to be another R520, I doubt it will be close to being an "FX5800" level of flop

R520 is released, barley beats out G80 but has a wicked archecture for future uses!! G81 comes out and takes the lead, R680 comes out and takes the crown again! nv realeases G90 to take on R680, intel releases VQ6600 1GB card and wins

You see, from a company's standpoint, which is what AMD/ATI is, what you said makes no sense...

Thats the truth right there, but I cannot help but to think that Nvidias driver "issues" have alienated some customers from them, but this crowd cannot be huge. But yes my reply definetly was not written in "corporate" way of thinking, hence the weird reply.

Last I checked in NVIDIA's forum, the drivers are in no way in a "sad state". There are still problems of course, but they are being sorted out and most games seem to run as good as they did in XP

This I wont even argue since its too much a matter of taste. Some people are willing to accept few quirks and others are not. In this perspective saying Nvidias Vista drivers currently are in "sad" or in "o.k" state are both equally true. But this is how the urban legends are born I guess, much like "ATI drivers suck" slogan that has been used ever so often here in [H] forums for the past years, while being totally untrue. Couple peeps have bad experience which they wont forget in awhile and in every thread they can they bring up their opinion. And voila, we have a smearing campaing at our hands :confused:

Ok and here is where the stuff gets offtopic but bear with me. Being a realistic the Nvidia people are a majority in these forums, that is why most of the Nvidias screw ups slide by and ATIs stick. One only has to check earlier generation, was there not an uproar about the X1900 heat output and power consumption? Well now that G80 is on par in both of these categories (more or less) it mysteriously is not such a huge deal ;)

And this fact alone irritates me greatly and makes me no doubly look like an advocate ATI fanatic to the boot sometimes, but I admit it gives me some pleasure to point out peoples ignorance :D

Totally agree with you here. When the 8800's were released, ATI just was not expecting them to be as good as they are.

Indeed and I would like to add that FX5800 did not make Nvidia go belly over and I suspect ATI skipping one generation will hardly make AMD/ATI go out of business. Sure it stings but Nvidia managed to bring out an competetive product against R9700, I would like to think AMD/ATI is capable of the same.

Yet some people do not see this and have hard time admiting that their favorite brand losed a round. Well I never have had such troubles so ofcourse G80 is the winner in this round, heck the competitor is missing there was not even a battle here :D It was the battle of fastest DX9 card on the world and G80 indeed has that crown, on DX10 things are still unresolved.

More to the point and less ramblings :)

Forgot to reply to the Nvidia DX10 driver thingy and how in my mind G80 wont have such lead R9700 had with DX9. Silus you have a point and I have no doubt that G80 has somewhat the upper hand with the first wave of DX10 titles.

But we can agree that Nvidias DX10 drivers are far from perfect? And like R1ckanunck (sorry about misspellings) stated it cannot be easy to develop games with unfinished set of drivers. So Iam still entrenched in my opinion that G80 will not have such huge lead in DX10 games that R9700 had with DX9. With DX9 ATI did not have to write drivers from scratch like Nvidia now has to do with DX10.

Then again this can go either way. R600 may suck and G80 has even greater advantage over first DX10 titles. R600 can be dominating piece of hardware and the situation will be opposite just because of R600 brute force. Hmm I can see this going round and round untill R600 is released and we get some first DX10 benchies. Well atleast we can entertain ourselfs by arguing over wild rumours :D

edit:

I quess the reasonable conclusion is that I have just summed up what this thread is about, nothing else but wild speculation. I shall withdraw myself from this and wait for the real deal to hit the street. BTW what is the latest rumoured R600 release date? I seem to have forgotten it during this gossip mill.

LOL, I am a "blinded" !!!!!!. I expressed to you the exact reasons why I think the R600 will be a better platform in DX10 games than the 8800GTX and quite possible it's refresh from comments made by solid sources (beyond3d). But you're not a "blinded" !!!!!! about how Nvidia's supposed refresh (WHICH NO ONE HAS ANY CLUE ABOUT) will dominate the R600. Kettle this is pot, pot this is kettle. :rolleyes:

"Rumors indicate that", "It may seem like", "It is believed that" ... yadda yadda.

Yea you say yadda, yadda, but I gave you a solid reason for my beliefs from a valid source about the R600's memory bandwidth due to it's external 512 bus. The 8800GTX and it's refresh will both be only a 384 bit bus and there is NO WAY in hell that will change in this short time. So the 8800GTX and it's supposed refresh will never be able to get to the same numbers in sheer bandwidth that ATi's platform will have. It's MY belief that having that extra bandwidth will be a + for ATi and some DX10 titles.

The WHOLE DX10 argument aside, the 8800GTX is the fastest card on the planet. The fact people buy it RIGHT NOW is not because it will be able to play Crysis in 6 months, it's because it's just fast, very fast. It beats the X1950XT without breaking a sweat, and I heard today on the news nVidia's president was rushed into an emergency surgery to repair a whole in his stomach because he laughed too much at ATI's screw up...

Yea so it's the fastest card on the planet, good for Nvidia. But then again if I was a Vista owner I would be having tons of issues now would I. Moreover it's my belief that many people DID buy the 8800GTX to play Crysis because the last delay was announced a month after the 8800GTX release.

Of course the 8800GTX beats the X1950XTX it's a full generation ahead, and according to your logic that would be impossible for Nvidia to release a card slower than a previous generation. You slam me for bringing up fanciful hypotheticals but then throw in a story about how an Nvidia Exec went to the hospital for laughing so hard at ATi.

Why would they leave all the market to nVidia if they had a good product to compete with? EVEN if at launch the R600 gives you a 10&#37; performance boost versus the 8800GTX, you think it will mean they have won when looking back at months and months of lost sales because they screwed up? Not even talking about pissing off the client base here...

Read this slowly because it's important. What if the R600 is only 10% quicker in DX9 games compared to the 8800GTX but 40% in DX10 games. Wouldn't you want to release your card (which is already late) in an environment where you could show potential buyers that fact. Perhaps maybe a 3D Mark test, or Flight Simulator DX10 package or even Crysis.

Nobody cares about the DX10 drivers yet because nobody needs them. I just know that between spending 380&#8364; for an X1950XT which is old technology and 525&#8364; for a 8800GTX (145&#8364; difference for 25++% peformance boost?) that I am sure will last me a while, I'd go for the Nvidia. Do I have a choice?

No one cares? tell that to Vista owners who have an 8800GTX especially in SLi.

Talk about a "blinded" statement. I am not defending ATi I am merely pointing out excerpts from sources like Beyond3D and stating my own opinions on which platform will be better for the benchmark that will really matter...Crysis. Secondly, what anger against Nvidia? what have I said that can even remotely be seen as hate toward the mean green machine?

Who owned who in what round? :rolleyes: DX10 GAMES ARE NOT OUT YET, NOR ANY DX10 BENCHMARKS, SO HOW ON EARTH DID NVIDIA WIN THIS "ROUND" WHEN THE OTHER COMPETITOR HAS NOT EVEN SHOWN UP YET AND THE RING ISN'T BUILT EITHER.

Why can't you accept that until the ring is built, the fighters, fans and expert media shows up that no one has won anything. It's like you running into an empty Ceasars Palace claiming your the Champion of all time 4 months before the fight is even scheduled.

But excuse me if I know that my fighter arms are twice the size of your fighter that just maybe I might make a little opinion on who will win.

More to the point and less ramblings :)

Forgot to reply to the Nvidia DX10 driver thingy and how in my mind G80 wont have such lead R9700 had with DX9. Silus you have a point and I have no doubt that G80 has somewhat the upper hand with the first wave of DX10 titles.

But we can agree that Nvidias DX10 drivers are far from perfect? And like R1ckanunck (sorry about misspellings) stated it cannot be easy to develop games with unfinished set of drivers. So Iam still entrenched in my opinion that G80 will not have such huge lead in DX10 games that R9700 had with DX9. With DX9 ATI did not have to write drivers from scratch like Nvidia now has to do with DX10.

Then again this can go either way. R600 may suck and G80 has even greater advantage over first DX10 titles. R600 can be dominating piece of hardware and the situation will be opposite just because of R600 brute force. Hmm I can see this going round and round untill R600 is released and we get some first DX10 benchies. Well atleast we can entertain ourselfs by arguing over wild rumours :D

edit:

I quess the reasonable conclusion is that I have just summed up what this thread is about, nothing else but wild speculation. I shall withdraw myself from this and wait for the real deal to hit the street. BTW what is the latest rumoured R600 release date? I seem to have forgotten it during this gossip mill.

They say it's Q2 2007. When Q1, Q2 or whatever is used to define a release date, it usually is something closer to the end of that Q, so if that is any indication, R600 should be released somewhere around May/June.

Yea so it's the fastest card on the planet, good for Nvidia. But then again if I was a Vista owner I would be having tons of issues now would I.

So, you don't own Vista, and you don't own a G80 card, but if you did, you would be having tons of issues?

I'm a proud owner of both Vista Ultimate and an 8800GTS, I have 0 issues.

I'm sure it's easy to make assumptions based on a GPU you don't have, running on an OS you're not running, then again, maybe I'm the one lucky guy that's not having any problems... somehow I doubt that.

So, you don't own Vista, and you don't own a G80 card, but if you did, you would be having tons of issues?

I'm a proud owner of both Vista Ultimate and an 8800GTS, I have 0 issues.

I'm sure it's easy to make assumptions based on a GPU you don't have, running on an OS you're not running, then again, maybe I'm the one lucky guy that's not having any problems... somehow I doubt that.

Yea you're right since I don't own a 8800GTX or Vista there must not be any driver issues whats so ever on HARD's forums or NVNEWS forums. Yea must be some kind of made up rumor by yours truly :rolleyes: x1000

Totally agree with you here. When the 8800's were released, ATI just was not expecting them to be as good as they are. They needed to revise their specs for R600, because in its current form at the time, it didn't stand a chance against a 8800 GTX, hence all the delays. I just hope that these revised specs, don't just involve extremely high clock frequencies.

ATI was not caught out with the 8800GTX, as far as performance goes. They would have been expecting 2x r580 performance as it has happened many times in the past. ATI was most likely shooting for 2x+ r580 no matter what G80 was. They may not have been expecting G80 to be a true unified architecture, though. Also, there would be almost nothing they could do to r600 since November that would change it dramatically. Pretty much the only thing they could do, IF r600 did not match the 8800GTX, is raise the clocks. Anything else would have delayed the card until 3Q-4Q.

ATI was not caught out with the 8800GTX, as far as performance goes. They would have been expecting 2x r580 performance as it has happened many times in the past. ATI was most likely shooting for 2x+ r580 no matter what G80 was. They may not have been expecting G80 to be a true unified architecture, though. Also, there would be almost nothing they could do to r600 since November that would change it dramatically. Pretty much the only thing they could do, IF r600 did not match the 8800GTX, is raise the clocks. Anything else would have delayed the card until 3Q-4Q.

And we still don't know when it is going to be released, and we are drifting into Q2. Personally, I'm beginning to suffer from hype-fatigue with the R600. We've had 5, going on 6 months of "R600 is going to !!WIN!!!" and 5, going on 6 months of nothing concrete to even discuss. All of these "confirmed rumors" are just that...rumors. There *still* is no confirmed anything where R600 is concerned, and no firm release date. CeBIT has now come and gone...and now we are hearing rumors of May?

I think it is time to come to terms with the idea that there are problems with R600. Whether or not these will be evident upon release is hard to say, but I don't think anyone is naive enough to deny that *something* must be wrong for there to be no confirmed news, no hard release date and nothing but rumors to show for all of this hype.

Back