ATI or Nvidia

Are you sure you want to consider an old card?

Yeah. I'm not sure how well a x1950xtx would do in bf3. I don't see much of a comparison between that and any current mid range Nvidia card. I think even a gtx 650 would do better. In that case I would go with Nvidia over ATI.

I would strongly consider an all in wonder card from ATI, it has more features than nivida even if it does get a few less frames. Maybe even the 3d variant if you plan to add an oculus down the road.

It also has the benefit of upgradeable RAM for if you decide to go with a bigger resolution later.

For Battlefield 3 it won't really matter.. its old enough that both nvidia and AMD will have optimized their drivers for the game.

Who knows why the op asked.
He may be being lead up the garden path by someone trying to sell an ATI card.
It could have been a mistake, or he may have another reason to use an old card.
Until he responds, we dont know.

To OP:

The joke of the thread is that ATI was purchased by AMD 7-8 years back. If you're considering an ATI card... don't do it.

However, if we are comparing AMD cards to Nvidia, it's really 6 of one, half dozen the other. Most cards that you will find that have come out recently will be able to play BF3 just fine.

Both are great, but I would lean to either one in certain situations. I go Nvidia because I play a lot of Open GL games, and their drivers are much better in this department. (I also do circuit design and my software uses Open GL.) AMD seems to consistently have more bang for the buck however. Both have a mix of features that are either proprietary or standards, so it's best to look at the features the games you want to play use, and decide from that. (PhysX, Mantle, OpenCL, Cuda, Open GL, etc. etc. (though some of these don't apply directly to many games.))

Either will do the trick though in most applications.

Both are great, but I would lean to either one in certain situations. I go Nvidia because I play a lot of Open GL games, and their drivers are much better in this department. (I also do circuit design and my software uses Open GL.) AMD seems to consistently have more bang for the buck however. Both have a mix of features that are either proprietary or standards, so it's best to look at the features the games you want to play use, and decide from that. (PhysX, Mantle, OpenCL, Cuda, Open GL, etc. etc. (though some of these don't apply directly to many games.))

Either will do the trick though in most applications.

Good post... i go with what offers the most bang for the buck at the price point im looking at.. which has been ati the last two times i upgraded.

ATI are usually the best. Try to get one from BFG. They make the best ATI cards.

Geez I crack myself up.

Either one will be fine for BF3. Just pick a price range like $100-150 or $150-200 and then look for cards that are in that price range. Pick one or two AMD cards from that price range and pick one or two nVidia's. Then search for benchmarks and compare them and whichever one out performs the other will be more bang for your buck. That's how I pick my videocards.

As long as there are no reported issues for a particular card, either will do you well.

What resolution? Xfire or 3D needed? How many monitors do you need to support? What cpu and PSU do you have? What budget do you have to spend? You purchasing online or locally?

I kinda wish AMD would have kept the ATI name for their GPU line for easy differentiation between product lines and for nostalgic purposes.

Anyway, if there are no proprietary features you are after, then just get whichever GPU offers the most bang for your budget.

Right now the answer seems to really be AMD because theyre offering the faster cards at just about every price point. AMD has always been a little more value oriented than Nvidia and then the whole mining craze that just collapsed (again) helped drive the prices down too. The R9 290 is about the best card dollar for dollar right now.

I tend to go nvidia because AMD/ATI's drivers are nothing but trouble in my experience. Your mileage may vary

Neither. Matrox or Bitboys. :)

Probably get a lightly used Parhelia is the FS subforum...when one actually comes up for sale. Those things are hot right now! The Rendition Verite may be a viable alternative. But if a Voodoo2 12MB gets listed, don't even hesitate...GET IT.

Probably get a lightly used Parhelia is the FS subforum...when one actually comes up for sale. Those things are hot right now! The Rendition Verite may be a viable alternative. But if a Voodoo2 12MB gets listed, don't even hesitate...GET IT.

No way! S3 Virge!!!!

Nice. Before any real 3D adapters, I had a 4MB Trident 9440, before that a 1MB VLB Citrus Logic, and before that a 256K (maybe 384K?) Paradise EGA 480. Oh, the joys of jumping from monochrome right past 4 color CGA and right into 16 color bliss.

I also had a Paradise EGA 480!! I used to play Sierra adventure games on it. Had a Soundblaster 1.0, the EGA 480, 286 16MHz, and 1MB (upgraded to 4MB later.)

That was HUGE coming from an XT with 640K and CGA.

My first VGA card was a 256K ISA card (can't remember the brand (likely was some generic thing.)) I stole some 41256 memory chips from something else to upgrade it to 512K. :D Incidentally, I stole those same chips back off of it to upgrade my Gravis Ultrasound later on. hehehe

My EGA was in an XT 8 MHz "turbo" with a 360K 5.25", a 720K 3.5" (later upgraded to 1.44MB), 640K RAM, and no HDD. :(

Upgraded to a 386SX-40 with 1MB RAM, added a 255MB HDD, and ran the Paradise EGA until I found a 15" .28dp EVGA monitor at a local Best Buy that was an open box floor model for less than half the price of new, which in turn made me run out and get the 1MB Cirrus Logic. Playing the original Prince of Persia in 256-color VGA mode for the first time when 16-color EGA was all I knew was one hell of a shockingly awesome experience!

Oh man I remember swapping 10 floppies to play Hero's Quest. :D We got a 20MB Seagate (5.25" half-height) chirp-monster a little while in though. Went to a DX-40 after the 286, and those HDDs wouldn't work anymore, so we got an 80MB drive. I think it was a WD.

I used Geforce cards until the day I upgraded to a 460gtx and it ran like ass with the P35 chipset mobo I used at the time. This was a good while after the 460gtx had launched so not an early issue, and with no compatibility fix in sight, I returned it and got a Radeon 5850 instead. Been using AMD's cards since then, with no hickups from the drivers.

My first computer had a Riva TNT2. Later I upgraded to a Geforce 256 - oh lawd, that performance increase and T&L tech.

I skipped the original GeForce, mainly because I had already dumped all my disposable income into a 32MB TnT2 and twin V2 12MB. Took out the V2's when i discovered games like Kingpin ran faster and looked better on just the TnT2. I don't think I got any others until the GeForce2 Pro 64MB came out. That was a nice upgrade.

The original GeForce wasn't very good. A 3dfx v2 sli with a fast cpu did the tnl processing faster than the GeForce 256

The Hercules GeForce 2 GTS was a very cool card. (blue too) A friend and I each bought one just in time for Q3A and UT. I bought two copies of Q3A for us for Xmas, and he bought two copies of UT for Xmas. Fun ensued... :D

The Hercules GeForce 2 GTS was a very cool card. (blue too) A friend and I each bought one just in time for Q3A and UT. I bought two copies of Q3A for us for Xmas, and he bought two copies of UT for Xmas. Fun ensued... :D

mine lasted 7 years...outstanding cards

mine lasted 7 years...outstanding cards

Yeah, I think I had mine in a secondary system for about that amount of time too after rotating in a GeForce 3. I believe I built an nForce based Athlon XP system around the GeForce 3 around that time.

I wish I could see all of the hardware I've owned, all at once. :D I could probably list it all if I tried REALLY hard.

Back