Ati no work games list?

KaizerDan

Gawd
I remember seeing on here a few years ago a list that people compiled of games that dont work on ATI cards, for opengl reasons or who knows what... by my brother is looking at building a small htpc for gaming but mostly older games like quake. Will these work on say a 4870 or 5000 series htpc card? Anyone still have said list?

Quite right. The lack of an OpenGL Extension Limit prevents the following games from running on ATi cards (not a complete list, mind you):

Quake III: Arena
Quake III: Team Arena
Call of Duty 1
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Tribes
Tribes 2
American McGee's Alice
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire
GLTron
Return to Castle Wolfenstien
Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force
Star Trek: Elite Force II
Doom 3
Quake 4
Prey

The list continues onward for quite a while, but you get the idea. There are a lot of games that their current drivers are incapable of running, and some of them are actually fairly new releases.
I'd like to stick with ATi, but the more new drivers I see them release without fixing this, the harder it is grin a bear it.

wow, I feel old... Those are the last games I have played :(

I played Doom 3 a short while ago with no problems, what is this list on about?

Dunno, I've played Elite Forces II without an issue on my HD5770, but I think some people are modding their drivers, or something, to get stuff working. No clue as to why it works for some, and fails for others.

If you download this and extract the atioglxx.dll in to the main game directory it should fix the problems you are having.

http://www.filefront.com/16696483/atioglxx.rar/

I have tested it with Kingpin and COD1

Or I have heard using older drivers solves the problem (apparently 10.4 and down don't have this issue)

i've played nearly half of these games
(Quake III: Arena, Call of Duty 1, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey)
on a mobility radeon x600 256mb and a sapphire 3870 without a single issue!
so one 4870 would be much better.

If you download this and extract the atioglxx.dll in to the main game directory it should fix the problems you are having.

Or I have heard using older drivers solves the problem (apparently 10.4 and down don't have this issue)

Had to do this with GZDoom. Only game I've had to do it with so far.

Doom 3 works fine on my 5870 with win 7 64bi w/ 10.12 drivers. I dunno, honestly I've never had an issue with amd/ati or nvidia cards working with old games.

Last edited:
that list is bs.
Not really. If the drivers don't set an extension limit, those games WILL crash.

If some/all of those games work for you, congrats, your drivers are setting an extension limit for them.

You can also try renaming the game's executable to "quake3.exe"

That sometimes gets the driver to detect the problematic game as Quake III (rather than ignoring it) and set the extension limit accordingly.

:confused:

Star Wars games, prey, quake doom 3, all those opengl games work with my 5870 with nothing special done, and I tried those out a good while back, probably prior to even the 10 series of drivers.

Dunno where that list comes from.

Y.

Star Wars games, prey, quake doom 3, all those opengl games work with my 5870 with nothing special done, and I tried those out a good while back, probably prior to even the 10 series of drivers.
You'll only start seeing issues with those games if you use drivers newer than 10.4a. Older drivers do not have any problem with them.

Does the extension limit have anything to do with the Starcraft overflow problem? Because there's a few games (the only ones I have personally verified are Starcraft 1 and RCT2) that simply don't work in Windows 7, regardless of the card you're using, and extension limit sounds something similar to that.

I played most of those games on pre-10.x and I just played American McGee's Alice on 10.7.

Do a lot of these games have D3D mode?

JK2 and JKA won't work without that DLL file, confirmed on 6950 with 10.12a drivers and m5870 with some 10 series drivers. Return to Castle Wolfenstein won't work regardless.

Back