ATI Eyefinity in action

looks like its gone. I saw the full video earlier, but now I get to login page. Search youtube for ati eyefinity and see if you get the same:

atieyefinity.jpg

Two page article up at Anand now.

No GPU details but describes Eyefinity and shows CCC interface for it.

Sweet! Here's a link to it:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635

That's six Dell 30" displays, each with an individual resolution of 2560 x 1600. The game is World of Warcraft and the man crouched in front of the setup is Carrell Killebrew, his name may sound familiar.

Driving all of this is AMD's next-generation GPU, which will be announced later this month. I didn't leave out any letters, there's a single GPU driving all of these panels. The actual resolution being rendered at is 7680 x 3200; WoW got over 80 fps with the details maxed.

I'd love to see the benchmarks.

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SH!T

This is for sure my next computer upgrade, this is truly groundbreaking technology. I can NOT believe just a single 5870 can handle WoW at 7680x3200res and get 80fps maxed details. That is fucking insane power.

Multi-screen gaming has finally come of age, no more single screen in front of you, that is so last year, now these cards can easily do 3 LCD's or even 6 on just one single VideoCard.

That's six Dell 30" displays, each with an individual resolution of 2560 x 1600. The game is World of Warcraft.
Driving all of this is AMD's next-generation GPU, which will be announced later this month. I didn't leave out any letters, there's a single GPU driving all of these panels. The actual resolution being rendered at is 7680 x 3200; WoW got over 80 fps with the details maxed

I almost creamed my pants as if some hot natural big boobed Polish chick were standing naked in front of me :eek: What a geek I am :p

I almost creamed my pants as if some hot natural big boobed Polish chick were standing naked in front of me :eek: What a geek I am :p

LOL! It is big news indeed! Not just a simple upgrade in performance, but a groundbreaking new feature. As always, I will weight my options between Nvidia and ATI on next purchase, but this is really a purchase point for me as well. :)

AMD's software makes the displays appear as one. This will work in Vista, Windows 7 as well as Linux.

The software layer makes it all seamless. The displays appear independent until you turn on SLS mode (Single Large Surface). When on, they'll appear to Windows and its applications as one large, high resolution display. There's no multimonitor mess to deal with, it just works. This is the way to do multi-monitor, both for work and games.

:eek::eek::eek:: :D

Having the physical borders between the different monitors would annoy the hell out of me, although I guess it would work well with 3 monitors and having side views.

Carrell believes that in seven years we can have the first generation Holodeck up and running. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Trek reference, Carrell believes it'll take seven years to be able to deliver a 180 degree hemispherical display (you're not completely surrounded by displays but at least your forward and peripheral vision is) with positionally accurate and phase accurate sound (both calculated by the GPU in real time). The GPU will also be used to recognize speech, track gestures and track eye movement/position.

:eek::eek::eek:

Having the physical borders between the different monitors would annoy the hell out of me, although I guess it would work well with 3 monitors and having side views.

With 3, you have one for main vision and 2 for peripherial vision for increasing the immersion of the game. What makes this even better, is that the function (triplehead) becomes more mainstream, since its on the GFX card itself. This gives better incentive to monitor developers to make screens with smaller bezel to sell more screens.

Thats pretty cool, but realistically, they're getting 80 fps looking at a tree in a game that looked 4 years old when it was released 5 years ago. Maybe if they were standing in Dalaran getting 80fps I would be impressed.

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SH!T

This is for sure my next computer upgrade, this is truly groundbreaking technology. I can NOT believe just a single 5870 can handle WoW at 7680x3200res and get 80fps maxed details. That is fucking insane power.

Multi-screen gaming has finally come of age, no more single screen in front of you, that is so last year, now these cards can easily do 3 LCD's or even 6 on just one single VideoCard.

That's six Dell 30" displays, each with an individual resolution of 2560 x 1600. The game is World of Warcraft.
Driving all of this is AMD's next-generation GPU, which will be announced later this month. I didn't leave out any letters, there's a single GPU driving all of these panels. The actual resolution being rendered at is 7680 x 3200; WoW got over 80 fps with the details maxed

Maybe I'm just not geek enough, but I'd take the hot natural big boobed naked Polish chick instead of the 5870. :D Then I'd take the 5870. Then the Polish chick again. :D

Thats pretty cool, but realistically, they're getting 80 fps looking at a tree in a game that looked 4 years old when it was released 5 years ago. Maybe if they were standing in Dalaran getting 80fps I would be impressed.

That must be a really huge tree since 7680x3200 res was used :eek:

I love that there is a giant power panel in the background... Need to feed all those monitors.

It think a 3 panel setup will be quite good. with the side panel for peripheral, and a solid central view.

Will it work with different sized panels. 1 30" and 2 rotated 20" 4:3 for wings would be perfect.

Yeah somewhere in that Anandtech article it mentions different size resolutions is supported, like one in landscape mode and the others in portrait would work.

Will the next Ati gen card be this powerful? Man it seems too good to be true.....

I love that there is a giant power panel in the background... Need to feed all those monitors.

It think a 3 panel setup will be quite good. with the side panel for peripheral, and a solid central view.

Will it work with different sized panels. 1 30" and 2 rotated 20" 4:3 for wings would be perfect.

It should work unless they changed how the drivers have been working with Nvidia and ATI cards with multiple monitors with different resolutions. :)

It even looks like they have more settings then usual, where you can have different settings for some and the same settings for some screens:

displayproperties.jpg

Eh, wow in the middle of a wide open and old zone with not much to render at 80 fps isn't particularly hard to do. At that resolution even. A lot more of very little still adds up to a little.
Need benchmarks with other games, or at least standing in dalaran at prime time or something.

I dunno, I'm just not feeling it in most cases. You'd need a really crazy setup (space/organization) to run more than 3 monitors. Plus, I'm pretty sure we all know that every time a new high end game comes out, you're going to pretty much have to upgrade to keep all of those monitors running at a decent framerate.

What I do really like is the idea of a large center screen (a TV or projection screen for instance) and having two smaller screens that are directly to your right and left. The idea of hanving them angled out from a center screen gives a pretty weird POV to me. I'd want them to my right and left and only slightly angled...and again, that's one of those weird setups that's going to require you to be pretty creative in finding the right space for it.

Don't get me wrong...the idea is cool. I just don't think it's going to ever be a mainstream concept or really even close to one.
Give me specs on the new cards instead :)

Don't get me wrong...the idea is cool. I just don't think it's going to ever be a mainstream concept or really even close to one.
Give me specs on the new cards instead :)

[H]'s own evaluation of ATI Eyefinity is up!!!
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/09/amd_next_generation_ati_radeon_eyefinity_technology

Looking at this, I think it will catch on and bring in more people to the triplehead community!

I don't have any benches for you (did see some of Crysis, but it might be fake). However, [H]'s comments from link above makes me wish for benches fast:

We can't tell you a lot about the video card since we are still bound by our Non-Disclosure Agreement until the product's launch date in a few weeks. However, AMD is allowing us to show you what is likely the most impressive feature this video card has to offer, besides the monster performance increase over current top end AMD GPU hardware.

Ok so this is NOT the single 5870 card playing WoW on 6 - 30" Displays, but a faster card, like the 5870X2 or special card made for 6 Displays ? I didn't think the standard $399 single 5870 could handle that.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/09/amd_next_generation_ati_radeon_eyefinity_technology

What you are seeing below is a single air cooled AMD next-gen video card in a consumer ATX case powering six LCD displays. No tricks, no switches. Six 30" LCD panels with DisplayPort, and one "Evergreen" video card. This card is a future product that will likely be for sale around the holidays, but on launch day every card will support no less than 3 displays.

Looks like I can finally ditch my Matrox TH2go! Hopefully,for a lot of us in the flightsim community, we'll be able to keep monitors independent of the main view on the same GPU as well.

So much for waiting on Gulftown!
0911.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so this is NOT the single 5870 card playing WoW on 6 - 30" Displays, but a faster card, like the 5870X2 or special card made for 6 Displays ? I didn't think the standard $399 single 5870 could handle that.

What you are seeing below is a single air cooled AMD next-gen video card in a consumer ATX case powering six LCD displays. No tricks, no switches. Six 30" LCD panels with DisplayPort, and one "Evergreen" video card. This card is a future product that will likely be for sale around the holidays, but on launch day every card will support no less than 3 displays.

Awesome. Not only is this showing off the power of the Radeon 5000-series, its also demonstrating what DisplayPort is really capable of. Too many people don't have any clue as to what DisplayPort is or what it can do. More demos like this are a great thing.

After reading the Anandtech article, it cleared up most of my concerns...especially the fact that you should use an odd amount of monitors to keep crosshairs from being split into multiple monitors on FPS games.

My only concern now is the fact that it will take mini-display ports to fill up the back of the video card to get 6 outputs. With my experience with Mini Display ports working on Mac Mini's, they don't have screws to keep them secured. The connectors themselves aren't deep enough to provide enough physical leverage to keep the connector's plugged in once the weight of the cable is draped over the side of the desk. Any little bump will unplug it. The problem only gets worse when you use mini-display port to DVI or HDMI adapters.

Awesome. Not only is this showing off the power of the Radeon 5000-series, its also demonstrating what DisplayPort is really capable of. Too many people don't have any clue as to what DisplayPort is or what it can do. More demos like this are a great thing.

So if I buy a single 5870 when they first come out later this month, can that handle triple screen gaming no problem ? I don't understand how the 3 monitors connect to one card, they look like they still juust5 have 2 DVI outs, and two smaller connections on the rear of the card, a HDMI I assume, and some other smaller connection ?

Do you need to buy a brand new 2009 monitor for this to work ? Does it have to have this DisplayPort connection to work ?

So if I buy a single 5870 when they first come out later this month, can that handle triple screen gaming no problem ? I don't understand how the 3 monitors connect to one card, they look like they still juust5 have 2 DVI outs, and two smaller connections on the rear of the card, a HDMI I assume, and some other smaller connection ?

Do you need to buy a brand new 2009 monitor for this to work ? Does it have to have this DisplayPort connection to work ?

You can use 3 DVI screens:

I know you are wondering if Eyefinity will be something you can use with your current monitors. The simple answer is yes if you have DVI LCD panels.

I made a mistake with my initial comment. With DisplayPort, you would be able to daisy-chain those six monitors together (similar to Firewire devices), so you would only need 1 DP cable coming out of the graphics card. That's what I THOUGHT they were doing here. But instead they simply have 1 cable per monitor coming out of the graphics card.

Amazing. you take something that used to exist in XP and put it in vista and people go gaga. all I have to say is that it's about damn time!

Back