ATI Drivers?

Bad_Boy said:
hey requiem99, just wondering. what card did you have before the 9700? and yeah creed , hopefully crytek fixes far cry before alot of people start getting the 6800's.

I tried out a few different cards to see which offered the best value/performance before settling on the 9500 mod card (can't beat the performance for 150 bucks which is what it cost at the time, last feb) - I had a GF3 for about 2 years before that, and when I went to upgrade I bought and tested (and subsequently resold) a ti4600, 9700 non pro, fx5800 ultra, and 9700 pro. I also bought a 9500 pro but gave it to my brother for his birthday when my 9500 mod card worked perfectly. (The mod, not the drivers...)

Anyway, when its worked, its been GREAT. It just hasn't worked as often as I require out of my video hardware, and I don't like doing forum hunting to track down bugs for every game I play, which seems to be a requirement of the r300 series.

ATI drivers are a lot lower quality than nvidia's but they are also much better than they used to be. I always have problems with my gamma/AA/AF settings not working properly or at all.

Devnull said:
ATI drivers are a lot lower quality than nvidia's but they are also much better than they used to be. I always have problems with my gamma/AA/AF settings not working properly or at all.

Agreed, way better than they used to be, but still far short of where they need to be. I remember the days of early 3.x where almost NOTHING would work right.

I'm not finding too many problems with the 4.5's and my 9800 Pro.
Maybe I'm not playing the right games to notice?? I've played a few of the games listed in requiem99's post. and they have ran perfectly fine.

Yeah Call Of duty has it's probs with crashing still, as for Deus Ex, this game runs perfectly fine @ 1024x768x32 Bit for me.

Overall I'm happy.

3dmarks which mean nothing, in sig.

Neocorteqz said:
I'm not finding too many problems with the 4.5's and my 9800 Pro.
Maybe I'm not playing the right games to notice?? I've played a few of the games listed in requiem99's post. and they have ran perfectly fine.

Yeah Call Of duty has it's probs with crashing still, as for Deus Ex, this game runs perfectly fine @ 1024x768x32 Bit for me.

Overall I'm happy.

3dmarks which mean nothing, in sig.

Try Deus Ex 1 in OpenGL mode, which is the way it looks best on non-Glide hardware. ;)

Neocorteqz said:

Possible. I've never tried it on a 9800, only a 9500 and a 9700, and it has major problems for both cards. You can resolve some of them by running specific driver sets, but that creates other problem, especially since many other games are broken in specific driver sets.

fallguy said:
Also, they ban you for saying anything bad about NV cards, doesnt matter if its true or not.

Yes they do! :p

But on the ATI side I noticed that the 2d is much better and the normal desktop apps look very rich compared to my GF3 4200. The 3d quality is very well known :) I switched my mums graphics card from a GF3 a few months ago to a 9600Pro and she loves the color depth in dreamweaver and all the apps she uses for website design. My only real complaints with ATI drivers are their lack of good HDTV control and their major overscan problems.

Back