ATI Drivers?

Bad_Boy

2[H]4U
guys, i have one simple question. im still debating the x800xt (mainly the HIS iceQ x800xt) and 6800ultra (mainly the ASUS 1slot 6800ultra)

does ATI have a good driver record? i mean their past drivers, were they good? not talking about up coming drivers.

ive had this ti4200 for 2 years, and switched drivers everytime they came with some new ones and havent had any problems, the dual monitor support is great.

drivers is just one factor in my descision. thx in in advanced.

driver prior to Radeon 8500 were bad

drivers from Radeon 8500 to now are good

no driver is perfect though, that just doesn't exist

The only thing that sucks about ATi is poor dual monitor implimentation. I noticed you mentioned that. You probably will not like ATi's in that respect. I know I don't. For just dual monitor use I'd take the Quadro's we have at work any day over my X800Pro.

Sir-Fragalot said:
The only thing that sucks about ATi is poor dual monitor implimentation. I noticed you mentioned that. You probably will not like ATi's in that respect. I know I don't. For just dual monitor use I'd take the Quadro's we have at work any day over my X800Pro.

Can you elaborate on this "poor dual monitor implementation" ?

Thanks

thx for the comments guys.

ill be giving up on my ti4200's tv-in also :( because i know both cards dont have it. but to give up dual monitors also might be a pain. can you elaborate on the dual monitors problem that the ati drivers have?

thx again.

edit: lol brent beat me to the question while i was typin up and eatin my sandwhich ;x

i have been happy with the ati drivers for the past year or so. they release a new driver with a lot of fixes every month, and they have ben very stable for me at least. i never used dual monitors on anything but my ati cards, so maybe thats why i find it so useless. i have to agree that there is nothing special about their dual monitor inplementation as i see it.

well i do alot of photoshop work, and having alot of room on the screen at once is much needed, hence the reason why i use dual monitors. plus just having alot of room on the desktop is a plus also.

fyi i use dual monitors as well, with an ati card, with ati drivers, and i don't have any multimonitor issues, does everything i need it to

I use a triple monitor setup with a 9800 and 7500 and have no issues.

Edit test

FrgMstr is a newbie again. :( You're going to have to get that joined date back. :)

Oops, no HTML support. Perhaps this will work...

edit, ahh, thats better.

Brent_Justice said:
fyi i use dual monitors as well, with an ati card, with ati drivers, and i don't have any multimonitor issues, does everything i need it to

Exactly, you won't have to give them up...I myself use dual monitors on my 9800pro, but you don't have the same number of features as nVidia. I miss that going from my Ti4200.

As everyone has stated, Ati's drivers are on Par if not better than Nvidias at this time. Is it me or is the forum flying?

creedAMD said:
As everyone has stated, Ati's drivers are on Par if not better than Nvidias at this time. Is it me or is the forum flying?

but not everyone has stated that creed ;) thats what im worried about.

i guess ill see how the retail 6800ultra's perform comparied to the retail x800xt, then compare and contrast the goods and the bads, and then make my decision.

thx for the help guys. :)

Bad_Boy said:
but not everyone has stated that creed ;) thats what im worried about.

i guess ill see how the retail 6800ultra's perform comparied to the retail x800xt, then compare and contrast the goods and the bads, and then make my decision.

thx for the help guys. :)

I meant virtually everybody as in reviewers on the net. I think as of late there have been actually more reporting of nvidia problems in drivers since the Nv40 has newer architecture. I'm sure nvidia will get them back in shape.

creedAMD said:
I meant virtually everybody as in reviewers on the net.
mybad, i thought you ment on this forum, because you mentioned "the forum flying" but you and i both know reviewers barely talk about drivers in depth.

creedAMD said:
I think as of late there have been actually more reporting of nvidia problems in drivers since the Nv40 has newer architecture. I'm sure nvidia will get them back in shape.

dunno how people would have problems with the 6800's because they are virtually impossible to find in stores ATM. maybe you mean the past nvidia having problems because new drivers change for the 6800's, but are they even out yet?

the reason i posted this thread is because over at rage3d (where ive mainly been since [H] has been down), even they post alot of problems with their ati' cards, both with the new and old ati's. rage3d, ati fanboys, having problems. imagine that.

im sure you could say that nvidia fanboys are having problems just as much over at nvnews, but i really dont see it as much.

Bad_Boy said:
mybad, i thought you ment on this forum, because you mentioned "the forum flying" but you and i both know reviewers barely talk about drivers in depth.

Most usually will note any texture problems/stability in benchmarks, I don't think they are doing their job if they don't. Most that I have read do state problems that occur.

Bad_Boy said:
dunno how people would have problems with the 6800's because they are virtually impossible to find in stores ATM. maybe you mean the past nvidia having problems because new drivers change for the 6800's, but are they even out yet?

No, just speaking of performance problems in DX 9.0 especially Far Cry. I am just basing this on reviews. I think they are having a problem getting these cards out the door atm.

Bad_Boy said:
the reason i posted this thread is because over at rage3d (where ive mainly been since [H] has been down), even they post alot of problems with their ati' cards, both with the new and old ati's. rage3d, ati fanboys, having problems. imagine that.

You have to understand the size of rage3d, with Ati dominating in the gfx wars since the 9700pro, rage3d has grown at an alarming rate. more size=more problems, most problems are usually fixable or user error. Any other problems that are reproducable seem to be well documented, and put high on a priority list. I myself haven't occurred any problems from my 3 cards but I can understand that others do and it isn't user error.

Bad_Boy said:
im sure you could say that nvidia fanboys are having problems just as much over at nvnews, but i really dont see it as much.

They are having problems, too. But again, the size of nvnews is tiny compared to rage3d. And getting smaller everyday.
Both camps have great cards. Both have decent drivers. It just seems that ati is a little ahead on drivers since the architecture is a little older (which makes sense) I think the 6800 may have an advantage on this since it may be able to tweak some performance out of these new drivers. On the other hand some are saying that the 6800 are bottlenecked in other ways. So it will be interesting to see what happens. I myself am going to wait until hl2 and doom3 come out before upgrading, my 9800pro is plenty for farcry, and there are too many varibles to be considered before shelling out $500.

hmm..maybe you misunderstood me. in my first post i never mentioned ingame stuff. (in fact nobody mentioned that kind of stuff)

im not really trying to know about the ati drivers with ingame stuff like textures, aa/af, opengl, and dx9. im more of focused on the drivers of compatibility, easy use, support on the features and ect.. from every review i know all the ingame stuff. thats really not what im wondering.

i really didnt want this to turn into a ati vs nvidia thread but i guess thats inevitable when your talking about video cards. oh well :rolleyes:

Bad_Boy said:
hmm..maybe you misunderstood me. in my first post i never mentioned ingame stuff. (in fact nobody mentioned that kind of stuff)

im not really trying to know about the ati drivers with ingame stuff like textures, aa/af, opengl, and dx9. im more of focused on the drivers of compatibility, easy use, support on the features and ect.. from every review i know all the ingame stuff. thats really not what im wondering.

i really didnt want this to turn into a ati vs nvidia thread but i guess thats inevitable when your talking about video cards. oh well :rolleyes:

I don't think there are many problems on either side, I think both are great.

As far as not wanting an ati vs. nvidia, your first post says that you are trying to weigh out the pros and the cons between the 6800u and the x800.

Bad_Boy said:

Look at the size of nvnews, it doesnt have near as large of a member base.

Also, they ban you for saying anything bad about NV cards, doesnt matter if its true or not.

fallguy said:
Look at the size of nvnews, it doesnt have near as large of a member base.

Also, they ban you for saying anything bad about NV cards, doesnt matter if its true or not.

I think they are just a PR site now. I don't blame them, I think Nvidia just wants to keep as much bad information about nvidias card from getting out as possible, I guess they figure they may sell a few more because of nvnews. Really a shame though. I liked a lot of those oldtimers alot. (before we all got banned)

yeah i guess your right on the size of nvnews vs rage3d. i guess i just dont see it as much as a whole.

and on the ati vs nvidia thread part, i was trying to compare, but not like you stated in post 17, that was just too much ingame stuff we already know about from reviews. i just wanted specifics on compatibility, support, ease of use, features, ect.

anyways, ill see when the retail 6800 hits w/ non-beta drivers on how to compare, and my friend is getting a x800pro soon so i guess ill see the ati drivers for myself.

thx ;)

Bad_Boy said:
yeah i guess your right on the size of nvnews vs rage3d. i guess i just dont see it as much as a whole.

and on the ati vs nvidia thread part, i was trying to compare, but not like you stated in post 17, that was just too much ingame stuff we already know about from reviews. i just wanted specifics on compatibility, support, ease of use, features, ect.

anyways, ill see when the retail 6800 hits w/ non-beta drivers on how to compare, and my friend is getting a x800pro soon so i guess ill see the ati drivers for myself.

thx ;)

sorry about that, I misunderstood you, I don't there are any games that only play on a specific card, I do think that may be in the future as more developers are getting in bed with the card makers.

To sum it up, drivers are great for both companies, don't let that influence your decision. There are too many other things to consider. SM3.0 and what it may bring in the future, driver performance increases, and how well each card plays with what game. Right now it is too early to tell.

fallguy said:

I really disagree with you, fallguy.

You get banned there IF you come in guns a blazin, throwin INQ links around like they're gospel truth... It's a very fair place, so long as you keep things level-headed.

And we're NOT a PR site. We're a fansite, unapologetically so... We've been there for all the ups and downs, and have supported our community as much as possible... If you look at teh news and newslinks over the past couple years, you'll see where we were easily pointing out problems that nv were having regarding availability, driver/image quality, speed, heat, you name it. We've been real. So... fansite: yes, PR site: NO.

I'm not trying to start any arguments with this post, fallguy, but I don't like generalizations being thrown around that simply aren't true...

And btw in no way is this post defamatory towards rage3d, [h], or any of the other hardware sites with dedicated staffs serving the hardware enthusiast/gaming community.

:)

BTW: glad the forums are back up here now... /me goes off to buy sell stuff at teh best fs/ft forum on teh web!!!1 ^-^

I have used nVidia drivers up till last November. Were great. Then I used ATI drivers for my 9600 Pro up till now. Now I sold the 9600 Pro and got a 9800XT and I have to say the Catalyst drivers are holding up fine :cool:

Sir-Fragalot said:

I have a triple monitor setup with an 9600AIW and a 7500PCI in my home office and a dual monitor 9800Pro setup at work.. both work flawlessly and I use UltraMon to add functionality.

Works just as good or better than any dual monitor's I've used with my Nvidia cards.

ragejg said:
I really disagree with you, fallguy.

You get banned there IF you come in guns a blazin, throwin INQ links around like they're gospel truth... It's a very fair place, so long as you keep things level-headed.

And we're NOT a PR site. We're a fansite, unapologetically so... We've been there for all the ups and downs, and have supported our community as much as possible... If you look at teh news and newslinks over the past couple years, you'll see where we were easily pointing out problems that nv were having regarding availability, driver/image quality, speed, heat, you name it. We've been real. So... fansite: yes, PR site: NO.

I'm not trying to start any arguments with this post, fallguy, but I don't like generalizations being thrown around that simply aren't true...

And btw in no way is this post defamatory towards rage3d, [h], or any of the other hardware sites with dedicated staffs serving the hardware enthusiast/gaming community.

:)

BTW: glad the forums are back up here now... /me goes off to buy sell stuff at teh best fs/ft forum on teh web!!!1 ^-^

Disagree all you want, its true. I got banned for saying "bad things" about NV products. I was at like .77 posts per day, and he said I had a "crusade" against NV. Search my last posts, I broke no rules, didnt flame anyone, call anyone a name, post Inq links or anything else.

I simply told him I would voice my opinion, and if it was against NV, so be it. Told him he had to face the facts that FX cards are not perfect, and bad things about them will be said. He said they were a NV fan site, and made no apologies for it. I told him to ban me if he didnt want to say my opinion about FX cards, and he did. Its like the kid at the playground taking his ball home because he was losing. At least thats how it came across to me.

I think his name was MikeC or something. What he doesnt know, is I have another account with another IP, he didnt stop me from doing anything.

Telling a site owner with oodles of industry knowledge to face the facts is definitely a sure fire way to get banned, right or wrong.

Fallguy, I'm not trying to dig at you on this, but I am always on teh lookout for people eager to misrepresent how nvnews handles things, and how Mike handles things... Sometimes certain sites are unfairly hard on nvnews' ways, and though some arguments are well thought out and have their points (we all make mistakes), some are only bourne from anger.

Heh, maybe you'll be better understood under your new nick, I don't know.

We have a hard balance to strike @ nvnews, as we are a fansite, but must accurately portray the ups and downs, and give a good industry-wide view. The site's been around for a long time, we DO have quite a few members (20k), and our community not only offers assistance to new users, but is a great platform for industry discussion, technical aspects of products, Linux stuff... oh yeah, I almost forgot about our political forum... I don't go there much but it is enjoyable if you like a spirited debate....

:D

I dont care of hes the site owner or not. The fact is that NV has problem, just like anyone does. Not being able to discuss those problem, without getting banned is just silly. I dont visit there anymore, its not worth it. There are much better forums.

Im not going to go back and forth on these forums, about other forums and their problems. Look at my last few posts, and come to your own conclusion.

fallguy said:
Disagree all you want, its true. I got banned for saying "bad things" about NV products. I was at like .77 posts per day, and he said I had a "crusade" against NV. Search my last posts, I broke no rules, didnt flame anyone, call anyone a name, post Inq links or anything else.

I simply told him I would voice my opinion, and if it was against NV, so be it. Told him he had to face the facts that FX cards are not perfect, and bad things about them will be said. He said they were a NV fan site, and made no apologies for it. I told him to ban me if he didnt want to say my opinion about FX cards, and he did. Its like the kid at the playground taking his ball home because he was losing. At least thats how it came across to me.

I think his name was MikeC or something. What he doesnt know, is I have another account with another IP, he didnt stop me from doing anything.

Yeah I know what you mean hell that lamer vampireuk banned oqvist for no apparent reason :rolleyes: that pretty much made them lose all credibility for me.

KayossZero said:
Yeah I know what you mean hell that lamer vampireuk banned oqvist for no apparent reason :rolleyes: that pretty much made them lose all credibility for me.

I wouldn't actually be suprised if you were Oqvist, of course I see people are still in the habit of talking about things that they do not understand. He was nothing but a trouble maker and was banned, then he decided to try and re-register continuously and he was banned everytime he tried. I've said it in a thread on nV News and I'll say it here, when we allow the constant bashing of NVIDIA we are the most even handed fan site around according to people who are now trolling us. When ATI are getting a roasting and NVIDIA are getting praise we have suddenly come crashing down from grace. The people always attacking nV News have a obvious agenda and like playing the victim when they are banned for trolling their little hearts out. Theres more to life than video cards but it seems some people have nothing better to do then try to constantly register to a site to troll :rolleyes:

Anyway if anybody actually wants to discuss this like a adult send me a pm because I'm not a fan of sending topics on other boards off topic :p

Man, we need to keep this crap at Nvnews. I have come to understand why they have become what they have become and so should everyone else. Like fallguy said, there are too many other forums that will allow for decent discussion without threat of being banned everytime you seem to make a point in the wrong direction. Hey, like here! Now lets get back to video cards and not other forums.

Never been to NV News...never going there. Same thing with rage3d forums. Whichever company has the best products get my business.

creedAMD said:
Now lets get back to video cards and not other forums.

Also agreed.

Dang it, I had a long thought out reply, but a T-Storm struck last nite and my power was shut off... grr...

To paraphrase my previously intended post:

Cat 4.2 felt funky to me on my 9700... OGL issues, esp. in RTCW:ET... I just got 4.5 and will be putting the 9700 back in one of my rigs... I'll give it a go and see if 4.5 really is more stable or not... IMO ATI drivers still have a touch of flakiness to them...

My former fav. cat was 3.8 which ran great on my 8500-AIW-DV...

As far as nv, it seems to me that the driver quality hasn't really wavered since 52.16, and I've been trying those and more recent drivers on a 5900XT, 5700NU, 5800U, 5600 Personal Cinema, GF3, and... a GF4ti... 60.72 seems to hate my GF4ti, and I don't know which driver would be best to roll back to... I'm not too worried about it, as the card's goin to a friend who plays Civ3, C&C Generals, The Sims, and GTA3 all the time... Methinks maybe 45.23... but overall I've enjoyed the improvements to teh control panel, and it seems that compatibility has never wavered.

...If only both of them would figure out, resolve, and possibly standardize the whole filtering situation... it seems to be quite a heated topic as of late...

All I can say is my experience with ATI has been terrible. The list of games that don't work properly or work with annoying problems is just too big to type out here, but I'll note a few of the major offenders. Please note, every single one of the problems listed here is related to ATI drivers are certainly NOT any other hardware in my system, because I successfully resolved the issue by switching to a different set of catalyst drivers or confirmed the problem through discussion with other users with identical problems and hardware. Some of these problems may not affect everyone, as is the case with any driver bug, but just another user's experience to keep in mind.

I run an XP2100+/1gb PC2700 (Kingston)/Radeon 9700 mod -- Every problem listed below is reproduceable on both the vanilla 9500 version of my card and a real deal 9700 pro. I've done it, so stop trying to say "its yer mod!" - It gets old. :)

1) True Crime - Streets of LA -- Stutters on every radeon driver out there at the moment, any resolution. No solution known.

2) X-Wing Alliance - Old DX7 game, but stutters badly whenever you enter/exit hanger and also during large dogfights or when large ships enter the screen. Someone said that reverting to catalyst 3.5 (a 10 month old driver) worked for them, but it didn't for me.

3) Thief 3 - Shadows/lighting totally broken in 4.5, known bug, revert to 4.4 to fix it.

4) KOTOR - Soft Shadows broken in any driver up to 3.10, but all drivers 4.1 to now run the game completely awful with any graphical settings. Totally unplayable in outdoor areas. Best solution is to revert to 3.9 driver set, or use the atioglxx.dll file from an earlier set. This creates its own set of problems, however, as the game's graphics will glitch up with screen artifacts aplenty and slow to 1-4 fps after a cutscene or movie on occasion. Restart the game to fix.

5) Call of Duty - Hard crashes on nearly every major driver since 3.10 or so -- ATI Released a hotfix but it doesn't resolve it for everyone. I don't know if the game still crashes on 4.5 or not but it did on 4.4, requiring a system reboot each time. Also, sighting over the rifle or leaning causes massive stutter each time you do it (have not found the cause of this yet, but I've found others reporting the problem as well, possibly a game issue?)

6) Rogue Squadron - Text in game unreadable. All sprites seem to be doubled or tripled, so you can't aim or anything. No fix known.

7) Hitman 2 - Flashing textures random throughout the game. No fix known, but some drivers seem to work better than others.

8) LOMAC - Some drivers have serious corruption problems, some have flashing textures on distant scenery, some don't work with AA, the list goes on. This game will probably never be completely fixed, for any video card, but I must confess it does have less issues on a ti4600.

9) Gothic 2 - Some drivers run the game terribly (especially when in towns), some worse than others, and not all users get the same result. Most of us agree that 3.7 is the best one for this game.

10) BF1942 - This game has its own huge set of problems, but the most glaring ones have been fixed in recent driver sets. Still, issues keep cropping up, as if each new driver set creates new problems. Maybe EA is actively working to break ATI functionality? There's a thought...

11) Deus Ex - Another old OpenGL game (face it, the game looks like crap with D3D) that doesn't like ATI. Besides the latest breaking of the gamma slider, we run into all kinds of glorious problems such as the whole game locking up and running 1-3 fps if you run in any resolution higher than 800x600 -- Why? I have no idea, but I tested this on more than 1 computer, so its probably this way for everyone with a 9700.

12) GTA3 - My seminal game to point to when I bitch about the drivers for my Radeon. Some areas are playable, but many aren't. Horrible stutter and lag cause the experience to be ruined.

13) Splinter Cell - No proper shadows. This is because of the way they coded the game, I know that, but the fact is if you buy an ATI card you WILL NOT get to play this game properly. Period.

Thats just a few examples of games I've been playing (or trying to play) recently. There are many more that I've given up on and uninstalled until I can afford a 6800 Ultra. I have to say some games run awesome on ATI, and WHEN IT WORKS (Like War3, Far Cry, Silent Storm, Mercedes World Racing, and others) I like ATI hardware better than Nvidia. The problem is, it doesn't work the way it should nearly as often as it should, and thats why I'm going to be ditching ATI when the next buying cycle comes around.

Cheers.

thx for you input requiem99. sorry about your experience in all those games :(

requiem99 said:
All I can say is my experience with ATI has been terrible. The list of games that don't work properly or work with annoying problems is just too big to type out here, but I'll note a few of the major offenders. Please note, every single one of the problems listed here is related to ATI drivers are certainly NOT any other hardware in my system, because I successfully resolved the issue by switching to a different set of catalyst drivers or confirmed the problem through discussion with other users with identical problems and hardware. Some of these problems may not affect everyone, as is the case with any driver bug, but just another user's experience to keep in mind.

I run an XP2100+/1gb PC2700 (Kingston)/Radeon 9700 mod -- Every problem listed below is reproduceable on both the vanilla 9500 version of my card and a real deal 9700 pro. I've done it, so stop trying to say "its yer mod!" - It gets old. :)

1) True Crime - Streets of LA -- Stutters on every radeon driver out there at the moment, any resolution. No solution known.

2) X-Wing Alliance - Old DX7 game, but stutters badly whenever you enter/exit hanger and also during large dogfights or when large ships enter the screen. Someone said that reverting to catalyst 3.5 (a 10 month old driver) worked for them, but it didn't for me.

3) Thief 3 - Shadows/lighting totally broken in 4.5, known bug, revert to 4.4 to fix it.

4) KOTOR - Soft Shadows broken in any driver up to 3.10, but all drivers 4.1 to now run the game completely awful with any graphical settings. Totally unplayable in outdoor areas. Best solution is to revert to 3.9 driver set, or use the atioglxx.dll file from an earlier set. This creates its own set of problems, however, as the game's graphics will glitch up with screen artifacts aplenty and slow to 1-4 fps after a cutscene or movie on occasion. Restart the game to fix.

5) Call of Duty - Hard crashes on nearly every major driver since 3.10 or so -- ATI Released a hotfix but it doesn't resolve it for everyone. I don't know if the game still crashes on 4.5 or not but it did on 4.4, requiring a system reboot each time. Also, sighting over the rifle or leaning causes massive stutter each time you do it (have not found the cause of this yet, but I've found others reporting the problem as well, possibly a game issue?)

6) Rogue Squadron - Text in game unreadable. All sprites seem to be doubled or tripled, so you can't aim or anything. No fix known.

7) Hitman 2 - Flashing textures random throughout the game. No fix known, but some drivers seem to work better than others.

8) LOMAC - Some drivers have serious corruption problems, some have flashing textures on distant scenery, some don't work with AA, the list goes on. This game will probably never be completely fixed, for any video card, but I must confess it does have less issues on a ti4600.

9) Gothic 2 - Some drivers run the game terribly (especially when in towns), some worse than others, and not all users get the same result. Most of us agree that 3.7 is the best one for this game.

10) BF1942 - This game has its own huge set of problems, but the most glaring ones have been fixed in recent driver sets. Still, issues keep cropping up, as if each new driver set creates new problems. Maybe EA is actively working to break ATI functionality? There's a thought...

11) Deus Ex - Another old OpenGL game (face it, the game looks like crap with D3D) that doesn't like ATI. Besides the latest breaking of the gamma slider, we run into all kinds of glorious problems such as the whole game locking up and running 1-3 fps if you run in any resolution higher than 800x600 -- Why? I have no idea, but I tested this on more than 1 computer, so its probably this way for everyone with a 9700.

12) GTA3 - My seminal game to point to when I bitch about the drivers for my Radeon. Some areas are playable, but many aren't. Horrible stutter and lag cause the experience to be ruined.

13) Splinter Cell - No proper shadows. This is because of the way they coded the game, I know that, but the fact is if you buy an ATI card you WILL NOT get to play this game properly. Period.

Thats just a few examples of games I've been playing (or trying to play) recently. There are many more that I've given up on and uninstalled until I can afford a 6800 Ultra. I have to say some games run awesome on ATI, and WHEN IT WORKS (Like War3, Far Cry, Silent Storm, Mercedes World Racing, and others) I like ATI hardware better than Nvidia. The problem is, it doesn't work the way it should nearly as often as it should, and thats why I'm going to be ditching ATI when the next buying cycle comes around.

Cheers.

Sounds like you have some bad luck! Maybe you should try Nvidia this time around. Hopefully they will get farcry fixed before you can afford/obtain one. Good luck with your new card, I may be getting one as well depending on the next few games that come out.

hey requiem99, just wondering. what card did you have before the 9700? and yeah creed , hopefully crytek fixes far cry before alot of people start getting the 6800's.

Back