ATI Catalyst 9.3 Released .....

I like your explanation of things. I have not cleaned out my drivers once and they have always upgraded just fine. I think it was the 8.9 drivers that made a game crash but other then that, never any problems. I remember the first few months, CCC would show some error dialogs but it worked fine regardless of what it said.

And something else is true, there are hundreds of people in this forum who never experience a single problem but it is the few who do who are most likely to post. Reading this forum makes it look like the majority of people have problems. Not so.

Those with problems have louder voices then those without problems. People need to keep that in mind. :)

Personally I think the days of needing driver cleaner and rebooting 50 times due to uninstalling and reinstalling are over, especially with Vista because of the new WDDM.

I have never had a problem installing drivers before these 9.3's. But I had a whole lot of problems with them.

So far everything has been running great, I feel like L4D and WAR run even smoother, I rarely seethem drop below 60fps with everything maxed (24x edge detect AA, 16x AF) @ 1920x1200. However find that TF2 has definitely lost frames, maybe 5-10 frames on average >< I am now sitting at 30-45 fps, with occasional drops into 20s...

It may have to do with TF2 being copied over from my vista x86 install to my x64, it crashes quite frequently. I think I will do a fresh install onto my Barracuda (instead of Raptor) this weekend w/ the new drivers.

9.3 are working fine for me. Just like 8.7, 8.8, 8.9... until 9.3. Never got any problems since then, not even a blue screen. :) All my games (and I play alot...) are working fine with my 4870X2.

I don't know what people are doing with their system... Never had a single problem since 8.7... :)

still didnt fix the Crysis + HDTV gamestopper bug. ATI might point the finger @ Crytek but a half dozen games suffered from the same problem. fortunately the other devs fixed their games by themselves while ATI still ignores the issue entirely.

b/w 9.3 and the latest multicore patch i gained almost 30 FPS in TF2 lol. max quality with max AA @ 1920x1080p and 250 fps vs 225 really makes a huge difference....not

Updated from 9.2 with no problems. I Just uninstalled through utility, and reinstalled after restart.

b/w 9.3 and the latest multicore patch i gained almost 30 FPS in TF2 lol. max quality with max AA @ 1920x1080p and 250 fps vs 225 really makes a huge difference....not

Well, two things:

- MAX fps really isn't as big a deal as MIN fps is. And +30fps to that helps an awful lot
- Not all of us have such beastly systems. For my Radeon 3850 and socket 939 Athlon64 X2, these two improvements (Cat 9.3 and TF2 multicore) make the game quite a bit more playable.

So far everything has been running great, I feel like L4D and WAR run even smoother, I rarely seethem drop below 60fps with everything maxed (24x edge detect AA, 16x AF) @ 1920x1200. However find that TF2 has definitely lost frames, maybe 5-10 frames on average >< I am now sitting at 30-45 fps, with occasional drops into 20s...

It may have to do with TF2 being copied over from my vista x86 install to my x64, it crashes quite frequently. I think I will do a fresh install onto my Barracuda (instead of Raptor) this weekend w/ the new drivers.

Do you have problems with WAR crashing to desktop with the new drivers? I remember when I had tried 9.1 drivers it would crash to desktop. After seaching the WAR forums high and low, people said that the old 8.12 were running WAR without the crashes and I am still using those drivers. I just want to make sure that WAR doesn't crash to desktop before I go through the headache of uninstalling drivers, using drivercleaner and then installing new drivers and going through the tons of restarts :)

Went from 9.2 to 9.3 with my 4850X2 - I had zero issues with 9.2, granted the "Alt+Tab" lag was killing me (Nvidia doesn't do that - so I had to adjust from my 8800GT).

Now I'm getting system crashes with Company of Heroes and textures showing up that never had issues before....so I' going back to 9.2.

I've always had problems alt+tabbing with Source games. It would take out just fine, but take a minute or two to bring the game back up.

I'm at work can anyone confirm this release fixed that? Thanks.

I've always had problems alt+tabbing with Source games. It would take out just fine, but take a minute or two to bring the game back up.

It's been working for me like a champ. It's definitely faster then before. I was never "a minute or two" before but now it is noticeably faster.

I must say I like these 9.3s. ;)

I did have my first instant reboot while running a xvid file via VLC, double clicked on file and instant reboot.Wasn't able to reproduce this and no real log errors (system had an unexpected shutdown error), only difference is i installed Cat 9.3, anyone else have any random reboot issues or wierdness since installing them ?

WOW these drivers are awesome. Fixed the WoW-related micro stuttering and horrible FPS. I can finally enjoy raiding without getting 20 FPS.

Went from 9.2 to 9.3 with my 4850X2 - I had zero issues with 9.2, granted the "Alt+Tab" lag was killing me (Nvidia doesn't do that - so I had to adjust from my 8800GT).

Now I'm getting system crashes with Company of Heroes and textures showing up that never had issues before....so I' going back to 9.2.

Oddly... 9.3 fixed the flickering textures and missing textures in Company of Heroes for me when I was on 9.2.

And, so far, no problems in that game since being on 9.3. Oh, I have an HD3870.

I have seen the auto fans in overdrive act off when toggled on, when pc first powered up. Happened twice to me so far.

I'm going to remake profiles as I just carried over from 9.2 - maybe something in there has changed to make it incompatible, in version 9.3

CCC was showing actual fan speed less than the set speed so think somehow its was auto'ing it

I tested the alt-tabbing last night and no seeming change. I don't really understand why this happens, but I just deal with it.

Everything else okay otherwise.

crossfire bug still present with my 4850s and 9.3

cferror.jpg

I can run Blu-Ray with these old drivers but not with 9.3. There was something about video overlay not working and turning off hardware acceleration, which did nothing.

Thoughts? I guess I'll just skip 9.3.

Oh, ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre. Up to date, downloaded Sunday. It works fine now.

Well, I had to format because of a wicked virus.

AVG is always running in the background from now on.

-= Lesson Learned =-

Anyways, I'm now on 9.3 without issue.

(Funny story, I had serious problems finding a chipset driver EXE that would launch. The
one on Gigabyte's website said something along the lines of "This file was created by PlayForTheWeb and cannot be launched directly". Long story short, I HAD to have that driver because I'm still on AGP and without it, my card runs at 0x AGP. Now, the funny part being, I found the driver on Nvidia's website. Apparently, they have a whole section dedicated to chipset drivers. Sooooo, heads up, if any of you get in a bind, consult the enemies website and you'll most likely find the drivers for your particular chipset.)

I think that is actually a source engine issue, as it happens on my Nvidia laptop (8600m GS) and it would happen when I was still running a 7950GT.

Although for me it is only like 10-20 seconds, though *shrug*

Back