ATI Catalyst 9.1

No flicker here.

In Vista if you sleep your PC, wake it up, then try to play TF2 the ground textures flicker. The only cure is a reboot. Can someone see if they fixed this in 9.1?

Wonder if I'll be able to get city of heroes to launch properly. Doom 3 wouldn't launch at all for me (steam version) with any of the more recent 8.x drivers. Texture flickering was all over the place in Mount & Blade (have to disable shadows), and of course the DX10 text bug in Company of Heroes was lovely.

If they really removed the multicore patch from this set or didn't implement it that is ridiculous.

well, my 4850 is once again borked in win 7...

I uninstalled my drivers and installed the new 9.1 drivers and nothing is recognizing the drivers, except win 7 which says I have the most up to date drivers, but when CCC tries to start on boot up it says I need to install the ATI drivers for my card (which I just did, that's why I had to reboot)...

so I flashed my card back to it's stock bios (which I had to do on my 4th win 7 install to get it to be recognized) and tried, still nothing...

FFFFUUUUGGGGGHHHHH...

any suggestions...?

In Vista if you sleep your PC, wake it up, then try to play TF2 the ground textures flicker. The only cure is a reboot. Can someone see if they fixed this in 9.1?

If they really removed the multicore patch from this set or didn't implement it that is ridiculous.

id like to know too!

I'm happy with these drivers so far. No more issues (so far) playing blu-ray movies and the performance increase to games like GTAIV and L4D are great.

What a disappointment. None of those games I play in that review but I can see the "20-70%" increase that was touted for entire month was just hype.

What a disappointment. None of those games I play in that review but I can see the "20-70%" increase that was touted for entire month was just hype.

Why would you ever believe that a single months driver update would increase the power of a GPU by 20% much less 70%?

Why would you ever believe that a single months driver update would increase the power of a GPU by 20% much less 70%?
He never said he believed it, he said that the claim was an utter lie. It WAS an utter lie, and just because no one should actually believe it doesn't make that any more justified.

8.12HF gave me a good 20% better performance over 8.10. Seeing as the multi-core enhancements were not put into 9.1 then they will be no faster than 8.10-8.12(non hf). I guarantee you that had ati done what they said they would do and deliver us a decent set of 9.1 drivers with these enhancements then most people would have seen 20+% as well. No way I leave 8.12HF until ati gets their act together on a whql driver. Jeez I'm still in awe that they released 9.1 in this half baked state. Sheesh.

8.12HF gave me a good 20% better performance over 8.10. Seeing as the multi-core enhancements were not put into 9.1 then they will be no faster than 8.10-8.12(non hf). I guarantee you that had ati done what they said they would do and deliver us a decent set of 9.1 drivers with these enhancements then most people would have seen 20+% as well. No way I leave 8.12HF until ati gets their act together on a whql driver. Jeez I'm still in awe that they released 9.1 in this half baked state. Sheesh.

From what I gather from the release note this release is more about openGL 3.0 support and bug fixes. Many people underestimate how much effort something like this takes.

From what I gather from the release note this release is more about openGL 3.0 support and bug fixes. Many people underestimate how much effort something like this takes.

I agree to an extent, however, these were built on a continuation.It's not like they started from scratch. So once again... why would they take out the multicore hotfix?

I agree to an extent, however, these were built on a continuation.It's not like they started from scratch. So once again... why would they take out the multicore hotfix?

Branched codebases and the Christmas season are the only reasons I can think of.

These new drivers dont fix the "incompatible video adapter" error 43 message where the 2nd GPU of the HD 4870 X2 card stays disabled.
Same problem with drivers 8.12. I had to go back to the 8.11 drivers to get both GPUs on the 4870 X2 to work and then 3DMark06 scores are not that great. I only have 4GB RAM so that shouldnt be the problem.

I guess there is no sense in creating a new thread on this since this problem is nothing new. It is new to me because I just switched over to ATI from Nvidia. http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=107787&enterthread=y

These new drivers dont fix the "incompatible video adapter" error 43 message where the 2nd GPU of the HD 4870 X2 card stays disabled.
Same problem with drivers 8.12. I had to go back to the 8.11 drivers to get both GPUs on the 4870 X2 to work and then 3DMark06 scores are not that great. I only have 4GB RAM so that shouldnt be the problem.

What were your 3dMark06 scores ? just looking for approximate before and after scores. I don't expect you to know the exact numbers.

I guess there is no sense in creating a new thread on this since this problem is nothing new. It is new to me because I just switched over to ATI from Nvidia. http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=107787&enterthread=y

Same problem here and I have 4 gigs of ram, was not able to install 8.12 driver because of this error and now again with 9.1...cmon ATI get your crap together seriously! so back to 8.11 for me!!!

What were your 3dMark06 scores ? just looking for approximate before and after scores. I don't expect you to know the exact numbers.

Im at work so this is appox, from memory. I will update when I get home if it is too far off.

I had a HD 4870 512 installed and the score was around 12,500
I installed the HD 4870 X2 with 8.11 drivers and it ran at around 15,000

This score of 15,000 is very close to my 8800GTX SLI.

I was expecting a lot higher scores from the HD 4870 X2 and from what I have read the newer drivers will make a big difference in this which I cannot install right now.

I am just using 3dMark as a baseline and realize different games will really reflect true performance.

Wow, we waited so long for OpenGL 3.0 support?

When OpenGL 3.0 came out, wasn't everyone angry at Khronos because 3.0 was a tiny upgrade that wasn't worth much, and a lot of promises were broken?

If you want to see the HD 4870 X2 perform well in 06 try something like 1920x 8xAA. 1280x with no filtering is not a good way to judge the card and I'd never purchase one to play at said res with those quality settings.

Well for me on a 4870 512mb and Win XP pro 32bit there's no AA in GRID no mather if you set it ingame or in drivers. Had the same problem with 8.12 but it works with 8.11.

Well for me on a 4870 512mb and Win XP pro 32bit there's no AA in GRID no mather if you set it ingame or in drivers. Had the same problem with 8.12 but it works with 8.11.

Wierd, GRID works fine for me.

Yeah it's weird, should work without problem but just simply doesn't. No big deal though, don't play it much anymore and have a load of other games I rather play. Might get fixed in a later driver. Could be a Win XP bug.

I think this release finally fixed the "display driver stopped responding" problem I'd been having with dual monitors and Aero.

Thing is getting weirder. Now after a cold reboot the AA is back again and I'm sitting here looking like a big question mark. :confused: :D
During installation of the drivers and after I have rebooted but only now after the computer has been shut down for a few ours the AA is there.

Back