ati 9800 pro too loud, need free solution

hmm...

Weaksauce
I've had this card for 2 yrs and I am begining to get annoyed with the loud stock fan. I can hear my comp going in another room 10m (maybe more) away! Out of my entire comp, the two buggers are this fan and my P4 stock fan. They both seem to be very loud, but I think the vpu fan is a hair louder or higher pitched. I have good cooling w/ 5 case fans, and I don't know what to do!

well, it cant be solved for free.

if you wanna spend ~30 though, get teh zalman vf700cu GPU cooler.

hahah i was about to say "get some as5 re-apply see if it'll lower the fan speed" right up until i read
I have good cooling w/ 5 case fans

:):):)

Rofl 5 case fans should be quite a bit loud, anyways a vga silencer should do the job for cheap, dont get a zalman.

Juic3 said:
Rofl 5 case fans should be quite a bit loud, anyways a vga silencer should do the job for cheap, dont get a zalman.
for what reason?

the zalman is quieter and cools better. i own both.

i stuck my ear with an open case and i can hear that most of the sound is coming from the vpu and cpu fans. thanks for the ideas :) i wonder if I can do something creative.

got any old socket A HSF's?

you can hack em up and drill some holes in one to mount it on hte 9800 with a quieter fan.

Is the fan just normally too loud, or did it develop an abnormally loud character suddenly? You might be able to fix that by removing the fan from the heatsink, pulling off the sticker on the back, and adding some lubricant to the fan shaft (White Lightning should be good). If the sticker won't go back on, you can cut a piece of electrical tape to fit in its place.

If being loud and annoying is just its normal character, then the above doesn't apply, and there's no good free solution. The Zalman cooler is better than the VGA Silencer IMO because it will work on other video card models, so you can reuse it when you upgrade.

lithium726 said:
for what reason?

the zalman is quieter and cools better. i own both.

Because we started out with free, while that may have been a tall order, I'm sure the comment to you was rooted in the fact that the OP is probably not looking for something high-end. Why not get an MCW55?.... it's quieter, and it cools better. ;)

He may in fact be looking for a more ghetto or on your own approach even.

texuspete00 said:
Because we started out with free, while that may have been a tall order, I'm sure the comment to you was rooted in the fact that the OP is probably not looking for something high-end. Why not get an MCW55?.... it's quieter, and it cools better. ;)
he suggested a silencer instead of it. i wanted to know why. not like theyre any cheaper

I got that, but I thought the silencers were cheaper, at least the "street" price... sorry.

Doesn't ATiTool allow controlling the fan on the vc?
If the case cooling is good enough, just install ATiTool and crank down the fan a bit.

Back