Ati 550 Pro Linux support..

AmIdYfReAk

Limp Gawd
Anyone heard/seen anything more about this?

MCE2005 has crashed on me for the last time and i would like to go to MythTV but then i found out that there is currently no support for the 550 pro :/

Micro$oft wins this round!

Hahah, Do you really want me to list it out?

Currently this is the hardware roster:
Celeron D 2.6ghz
Asus P4P800-e Deluxe
1024megs Kingston DDR400
Maxtor 250gig SATA2 Hdd
Ati Radeon 9600 256meg
Authentic MCE2005
Authentic Nvidia DVD Decoder
Latest drivers ( i have tryed older ones )
etc etccc

Anyway, Thus far, i have had the thing kill 3 HDD's, 2 PSU's, 23 installs...
And problems ranging from BSOD's, to Driver Conflicts Causing Crash's, Recording causing crashes, play back issues causing BSOD's, Etc the list go's on.

and before you say something like "Hardware issue"
Nothing in this computer is old, i have replaced it all,i have Ran it though Prime 95 for 72Hours solid, 3dmark for 3X hours, and a combo of those for ~24 hours. and not a thing shows.

i am running out of things to point it to, :)

edit: Also now, Everything that has recorded today ( 4 shows ) when i try to play them back the computer reboots..
But yet!!! i can play ANY other Prev recorded Show no problemo!

So it's pretty stable otherwise? Have you tried disabling MCE and using another PVR app to troubleshoot?

Honestly I would bother going linux with an ATI card in the system, ATI's linux drivers are junk and linux drivers for their 550 cards is virtually non-existant.

yea, thats what i am getting from it..

And yes, i have tryed to go for another Front end, but none of them are even close to MCE and etc in terms of the guides and etc.

also, i have the MCE remote and Keyboard that i would like to continue using :) so thats a challenge within itsself.

Anyway, what are other App's ( pref free, i have allready dumped $900 into this thing ) That would be able to do the PVR thing?

You mean good ones cause I could drop a whole list of okay freeware apps that almost deliever but for something good you're going to have to pony up some cash.

I would suggest trying out SageTV, you can even find a skin for it (they're called STVs) that will make it look like MCE since that seems to be your taste and it works fine with the MCE remote and keyboard (although some setup time might be needed).

Beyond TV is good too but it's not my cup of tea (feature set is pretty weak) and it supports the MCE remote and I believe the keyboard too.

Uhh, sorry, i am not tossing another 100USD at the thing,

i have been checking out GB-PVR and i will be giving that a shot a little later on today.
( w000, format time! )

Have you run memtest? What you're describing sounds a little bit like bad memory, to me.

That said, I haven't heard of Linux support for the ATI tuner card.

yes, i have ran memtest for 8-10 hours and dident come up with anything.

And i have replaced the ram, Twice :)

Samsung at first, Then OCZ, then kingston...

its all good though, i have tryed GB-PVR and it was... Err, allright..
i am reformatting the box with media center yet again..

thanks for the help, and i will keep on pluggin.

You know, I've heard of a simplier problem with an Asus P4 mobo. I can't remember if this is the same mobo or not but it was with a PVR150, similar problems though.

So you've tried another mobo?

i had an intel ref Mobo in there before...

Now its this one...

i have little to no patence left for this thing, i have finished formatting it today.. installed all of the updates, and set it up to record the shows.

it recorded "Dirty jobs" and "Sports car Revolution", i sat down and watched SCR, Finished.. deleted it, Then tryed to watch Dirty jobs.. the computer reboots..
i wait for it to start up again, try and watch it again, reboots..

Gah, Do you have any other suggestions other then to replace more hardware?

Whats your cooling like? Have you checked the event log? Any IRQ conflicts? Up to date drivers? I have an old network card that cause reboots due to old/corrupted/whatever XP says drivers so it might be something like that?

I don't know, I would probably think about picking up another tuner card (PVR150) to help troubleshoot, the card could be bad (especially if it does this in another machine).

IRQ 13 is being shared by the two USB controllers and the Radeon 9600..

irq 23 is being shared by another usb controller and the 550 pro

Eventlog in media center's area says:
The recording schedule has been corrupted and was automatically deleted on 5/3/2006 8:23:34 PM. You may need to reschedule your recordings.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
thats the only Error, it happeneds each time the computer reboots after the crash.

Drivers are up to Date, ( installed all of them today ) i have ran 3 PCI nic's and i am using the onboard NIC atm.. same avail.

And the tuner card works in my desktop machine.

come to think of it, the only thing that i have not replaced in that whole computer is infact the Tuner.. weird innit?

i also removed the intervideo DVD codec, and i am installing the Nvidia Purevideo DVD codec atm.

if that helps at all.

Move the 550 to a different PCI slot but I don't think you can do much about the video card. You don't want them sharing IRQs.

allright, once the show is done being recorded ( in 20 mins ) i will move it...

if that dosent work, i will assign it a IRQ.

I'd love to reccomend MythTV, but I'm affraid that linux support for ATI stuff sux.

Good luck with your flakey hardware :(

AmIdYfReAk said:
Anyway, Thus far, i have had the thing kill 3 HDD's, 2 PSU's, 23 installs...
And problems ranging from BSOD's, to Driver Conflicts Causing Crash's, Recording causing crashes, play back issues causing BSOD's, Etc the list go's on.

What power supply is in there an what ones were in there? I can easily see cheap quality power supplies causing every one of those problems, except maybe the driver conflicts. If it's not cheap PSUs, then I'm clueless :).

Right now its an Orion 400watt PSU that i was using on my Amd64 box before replaced it with a zalman.

i have rebuilt the computer again, and it seems to have calmed down no random restarts or other wise.

you guys are still pointing to the PSU though?

I just did some quick research on the Orion PSUs (search our forums under the PSU section for "Orion") and on google... I can't say for sure if it's related to your problem, but whether it is or not, I would buy a new one ASAP if I were you. I'm a big beleiver in high quality PSUs, not only becuase of what I read on the PSU forums here, but I've also had two generic brand PSUs kill two motherboards, and just within the last week, a friend called me asking for advice on a new mobo and PSU when his PSU literally poppped, started smoking, and killed his mobo.

Back