Ati 4870X2 Defeats MicroStuttering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYnXxI1UjxE

I don't see how people can deny microstuttering as if it's some sort of fable. Unless you're really that horrible in spotting it or you're just plain bad at FPSs, you can CLEARLY see the gx2 stuttering like crazy in that video in comparison to the other 3 cards.

Yeah, its pretty obvious. Just the fact that out of 4 cards the one with the highest FPS looks the worst. Something is just wrong there. Assuming that the footage is legit, then that is just a sorry state of affairs.

Also, this thread should be marked "rumor". I have seen no proof, either way, of anything (aside from the GX2 sucking, which is no surprise).

Yeah, its pretty obvious. Just the fact that out of 4 cards the one with the highest FPS looks the worst. Something is just wrong there. Assuming that the footage is legit, then that is just a sorry state of affairs.

Also, this thread should be marked "rumor". I have seen no proof, either way, of anything (aside from the GX2 sucking, which is no surprise).

Wow the GX2 looks horrible, all those reviewers out there claiming that the GX2 is better than the GTX280 deserve a punch in the face! :eek:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192829&page=22

Has anyone mentioned this post yet? He said that 4870 crossfire was equally good.

Someone should read what I posted because it seems like the message was either ignored or skipped over. Also, there's no way to claim it as false because if you say that he was wrong in claiming the 4870 crossfire had no microstuttering, then that makes his claim that the 4870X2 has no microstuttering false as well.

So the 4870X2 is out now..
Have it really defeated microstuttering?

Its not as clean as being defeated, there will always be timing discrepancies between 2 independant devices tied to one output.
The question should be "can microstuttering still be perceived?".

From what I have read, it seems that for most it cannot be perceived any more.

To quote cadevca from XS, who started the microstuttering stuff:

Considering I took this issue on full force, and now it's gone out of hand, and I see now people complaining of other problems, and calling it microstutter, I wish I could kill the beast I created!
source

Nope. not if FPS is below monitor refresh....then the problem is something else.

Microstutter is exclusively:

high-framerates drawn, less displayed. You cannot measure Microstutter below monitor refresh..if your eyes are sensitive enough, you'll see issues at anything below monitor refresh, and it won't be due to the hardware design, it will most likely be software limitations.

people don't understand that the Crysis video I posted was with 60+++FPS, and they also seem to have neglected to read that the problem is @ 1280x1024, while 1680x1050 runs butter-smooth. The problem is evident only when framrate is above monitor refresh, and the system is obviously not gpu bottle-necked.

Like DevilMayCry4.... approx 300FPS, still stutter, @ 2560x1600. This is what happens when the crossfire connection is not capable of feeding rendered frames to the primary gpu...and does not show itself until the bandwidth of those rendered frames exceeds the bandwidth of the interconnect.

Anyone talknig about Microstutter @ 60FPS is just on the hypewagon, because it looked fun, but they do not know where teh wagon is headed...

Provides a good chance to see which reviewers are worth thier salt, and which are not, IMHO. I've yet had anyone contact me from online media asking about the issue...so I'm not too sure that they are even aware of what the problem is, nevermind that most don't have the hardware to properly create the issue
source

Reminds me how every performance problem in Lord of the Rings Online is now nearly always just referred to (mistakenly) as "hitching."

Microstudder is improved on the 4800 series cards and is twice is good as NV at this point.

You quoted cadevca out of context; that post was misleading.

Without going into details, I would say, yea, micro-stuttering is often near negligible on the 4870x2 in practical situations. This might be in large part due to the 1gb of GDDR5.

But what remains of micro-stuttering + other multi-gpu issues (software catch up, display lag) means that, still, a single set up > multi set up if its FPS numbers are close.

Totally off topic, but why did POPEGOLD get banned? He's freaking awesome!

Back