ATH-A900 Detachable Mic + Cable Mod

guitarslingerchris

Supreme [H]ardness
I've seen this mod done several times now in one form or another, almost always on the open variants of the Audio Technicas and there's good reason for that, but I pulled through and accomplished what I set out to do.

This is what I spent most of my Saturday doing. Between realizing I didn't have a file set anymore and losing my power drill, among other time sinks, I managed to still get it done.

I began to pull them apart and was surprised to find they were indeed different inside than the A700s I own. That damping foam was a real PITA to work around, although it was mainly because i kept my wiring inside short.
khPL5.jpg

Blurry shot of the freshly soldered mini-XLR connector before I put it together.
5qPsR.jpg

Shot of the finished mini-XLR connector :D
ROHvf.jpg

Left driver ready for dissecting.
ACGUL.jpg

Forgot to take a before shot, but I can guarantee you the whole was approximately 1/4 the size before this stage.
Jma02.jpg

I realized when the mini-XLR came earlier this week that I would likely have to take extreme measures for the ring piece that holds the cup and sure enough I did.
GosY0.jpg

Fits good, though it needs some work with a file.
ayAVL.jpg

Test-fitting the microphone. I had to drill a larger hole in the outer ring to accommodate the 1/8" jack on the mic.
dYqr6.jpg

Also fits well. :cool:
nVgLd.jpg

As I said before, the foam helped A LOT by constantly getting in my way and making me fight it for wire length.
UmB3m.jpg

Shot of the inside of the cup after I soldered all of the interior wires on. Notice that I put an extra one on because I didn't pay attention and had to backtrack and fix that later on since the mic was sharing a ground with the two headphone drivers.
zRwNo.jpg

Helping hands doing their thing.
KRzES.jpg

First "completed" shot. I ended up taking them apart a couple of times after this but they tested successfully!
QUrmF.jpg

This particular type of TRRS connector is a huge PITA. Soldering to the center post isn't that bad except that you have to do it twice. :eek:
1k6Lo.jpg

Shot of the TRRS connector being soldered together. I am tentatively planning to replace it so I didn't go balls to the wall wrapping the wire for the center post.
GUZBB.jpg

Decided to try my ATH-A700 drivers in the A900 cups to see if I could tell a difference in sound. Physically they are different, albeit not much. This show shows how grungy my old cans had become. :eek:
whhTf.jpg

Final "complete" shot #1
VhIqt.jpg

Final "complete" shot #2
0suCW.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool... Who needs a stinkin $30 Modmic when you've got tools? :p

Very nicely done mod.

Pretty cool... Who needs a stinkin $30 Modmic when you've got tools? :p

Eh, my time is worth $30 to me.

Plus if you're going to do this and don't already have the mic and XLR connector or any of the other materials on hand before, you're still spending money.

Everybody even remotely competent should have a good set of tools though. Besides, soldering is fun.

You're definitely right about the cost adding up. Mini-XLR connectors don't come cheap, I think I probably spent $50 on everything that I used if you include shipping. That said, I could also have done it far cheaper if I'd chosen to not make the cable removable or to simply use another TRRS jack.

However, it was something I had wanted to do for awhile and I'm not a fan of attaching the modmic to a pair of expensive headphones and still having to deal with an extra wire. The best part of this whole mess is I now run only a single cable.

I was being tongue in cheek... As chris noted tho, he got a lot more out of the mod than just an attached mic. To be fair, the Modmic's magnetic mount point is also pretty easy to remove.

Well, I chose mini-XLR because I wanted a detachable cord that had something more than tension keeping it in the headphone. I tried to source connectors like I had on my Ultrasone Pro 900s that screw together but it's hard enough to find TRRS connectors, let alone ones that specialized.

I was turned onto LEMO connectors but I didn't take the time to go through and find what I needed.

would you do this to mine if I sent them to you lol?
Ive wanted to do this forever :p
I have the modmic right now, but the extra cable is so annoying

I wouldn't mind doing them for other people, I will be doing this to Vapor1000's ATH-AD700s once he orders the connectors actually.

That said, it's really not that difficult if you have a clear desk, a soldering iron and some time to kill.

Went ahead and upgraded my cable earlier tonight. The $12.68 adapter I bought off Amazon to split the signal from the TRRS connector died after about 2 uses so I just said "fuck it" and I made my own.

I re-terminated to mini-XLR again and then split it out to two 1/4" Neutrik Rean connectors color coded to make my life easier. On top of all of that I swapped out the harder plastic MDPC-X sleeving for some soft nylon sleeving :)

zHUD4.jpg

I also took Vapor1000's ATH-AD700s and modded them a couple days ago and then finished his mini-XLR to dual 1/4" Y-splitter today as well. I would put the pads back on, but they're nasty so I'll let him do that :eek:

LOkni.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd like to do this to my ATH-AD500. Do you have a parts list? What mic did you use?

I'd like to do this to my ATH-AD500. Do you have a parts list? What mic did you use?

I used this mic. I used Mogami w2534 wire for my headphones and Canare Star Quad L-4E6S for Vapor1000's, nothing particularly special about either other than they are just very solid and well made cables.

The connectors themselves were either Switchcraft or Neutrik/Rean connectors and can be found cheap at Mouser or eBay. If you plan to do mini-XLR I'll go ahead and vote that you find either smaller cable or you strip the insulation and shielding off because it will get seriously tight and make your life hell. If you want specifics shoot me a PM and I'll get you a full parts list.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love mods like this. We have asked the guys at A-T many times, will you guys just put a mic on your audiophile headphones already?

Keep posting your mods!!

I love mods like this. We have asked the guys at A-T many times, will you guys just put a mic on your audiophile headphones already?

Keep posting your mods!!

Sennheiser put a mic on a pair of audiophile headphones with the same drivers and general build as the HD595 (or was it 598?), and they actually dont charge much of a premium for it... Probably means its closer to the older 555/595 config, still tho, the PC360 is probably the best headset out there if you're dead set against a clip on or a Modmic (or actual nodding as seen here!).

BTW Any more headphone reviews coming down the pike Earl?

Back