• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATH-A700 vs HD-555?

pojut

Gawd
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
541
Hello, everyone! I currently have a set of Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. I absolutely adore them...their sound is perfect for gaming, ambient music production (thanks to their large soundstage), and that sort of thing. However, when it comes to the kind of music I listen to (Jungle, Dubstep, etc), they are a bit lacking in the bass department. I'm looking to pick up a set of headphones of similar quality that will strictly be used for bass-heavy music. Would you recommend the ATH-A700, or the HD-555? Why? Thanks for the help!
 
That would make the most sense obviously, and it is what I would prefer to do...just not sure about the finances :/ Still, I likely won't be making this purchase until we get our tax returns in early 2011, so I may spring for them anyways. I've heard they're one of the best choices for bass-heavy uses. Do you have any personal hands-on experience with them?
 
Actually, I have HD555s myself. They're okay for bass. I wouldn't say that I love them overall, but they're good for the money. I actually would like some DT990s but I don't want to spend the money since I usually use speakers and not cans.
 
That would make the most sense obviously, and it is what I would prefer to do...just not sure about the finances :/ Still, I likely won't be making this purchase until we get our tax returns in early 2011, so I may spring for them anyways. I've heard they're one of the best choices for bass-heavy uses. Do you have any personal hands-on experience with them?

Yes, skip the HD555's. I have heard all 3 of these cans ( use to own 2 of them ). The bass is about the same quantity wise, and the overall sound is worse IMO than the AD700.

I would go with what dandragonrage says, and save up for the DT770 Pro or just keep what you have.
 
Definitely skip your two choices there and go with something like the DT770 Pro/80. You will be disappointed with either of those two for stuff like dubstep.

For Bass levels, if you put the AD700 on a scale @ 0%, and the DT770 Pro/80 @ 100%, the A700 and HD555 are going to be in the 15-35% range.
 
Definitely go for the DT770 Pro. Extremely bassy phones compared to the AD700 and HD555, impact and flab-wise, due to it being closed vs open.
 
Yep, the DT770 is the way to go for bass.

If you're working on a tighter budget, consider the Equation RP-21.
 
Back
Top