Atari VCS Hardware Specs Revealed

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The Atari VCS is now available for preorder over at Indiegogo and it is going to come with over 100 classic Atari games preloaded. It will also have streaming capability and a Linux OS that you can customize the way you want. The system will run on 4GB of DDR4 with 32GB eMMC for storage. The processor is a Bristol Ridge A10 with a Radeon R7 GPU. If classic games are your thing you might want to go and check it out. Watch the video from the developers while you're at it.

Watch the video here.

By Spring 2019 when Atari VCS ships, we plan to have new and exclusive games for you to download* or stream, including reimagined classic titles from Atari and other top developers that are ready-to-play, with even more to come!

.... 70$ to get the faux-wood strip across the front of it to look sorta like the old-school? 70 fucking dollars?!?!

(229$ for Onyx + Joystick, 299 for "Collector's" + Joystick)

Edit: Sorry, 70$ for REAL wood. What-fucking-ever, still a fuckin' rip off.

I hate the price, but I do want one. The nostalgia is strong, even if actual Atari is a thing of the past.

PC architecture running Linux.

So. The PS4?

Seriously, I have PS4Pro, 1X and Switch in the rack for gaming on the big screen and a Shield Pro for media.

I'm not sure who this is for.
No, the PS4 is a PC architecture running FreeBSD. Get it Right! ;)

Now, try to build a Bristol Ridge computer with 4GB of RAM, in a nice case, for $200. If you can do it cheaper, or at the same price but better, by all means, laugh and mock.

It certainly has some retro-cool value to it, but $300 seems a bit steep for what it is.

I could build a mame box cheaper out of a hacked Asus Chromebox. I wouldn't get the cool Atari joysticks though...

did they hire someone from apples old ad campaign to make this video? "magical, reimagined, emotional, beautiful, refreshing breath of air" who exactly are they trying to sell this to?

Now, try to build a Bristol Ridge computer with 4GB of RAM, in a nice case, for $200. If you can do it cheaper, or at the same price but better, by all means, laugh and mock.

Yeah, it really isn't a bad price. If price is all people are complaining about...

The only issue for me, is that I want to see what else the whole thing entails. Obviously I can use it as a little PC. Great. I have several, and I always welcome more. However, it would be nice to know that they have something interesting in the pipeline for it. Are they releasing any new games for it? Any that are unique to the system? Anything worthwhile?

I can easily see myself plunking down $200-250 for a little PC for one of my TVs. If this is cool enough, maybe it would even replace the Shield TV in my bedroom, and that would go to one of the kids.

There's potential. I just want to see more.

Yeah, it really isn't a bad price. If price is all people are complaining about...

The only issue for me, is that I want to see what else the whole thing entails. Obviously I can use it as a little PC. Great. I have several, and I always welcome more. However, it would be nice to know that they have something interesting in the pipeline for it. Are they releasing any new games for it? Any that are unique to the system? Anything worthwhile?

I can easily see myself plunking down $200-250 for a little PC for one of my TVs. If this is cool enough, maybe it would even replace the Shield TV in my bedroom, and that would go to one of the kids.

There's potential. I just want to see more.
I agree. I don't really have a "good" htpc right now, so this is something I'm considering. Unfortunately I just bought an older house that needs lots of updating, so even this amount is iffy to me. Especially for something I won't be able to receive for a whole year!

It certainly has some retro-cool value to it, but $300 seems a bit steep for what it is.

I could build a mame box cheaper out of a hacked Asus Chromebox. I wouldn't get the cool Atari joysticks though...

Well, you could order the joysticks by themselves, and buy the one without wood. A chromebox today starts at ~ $170, for $30 more, you get a cool case, 4gb ram instead of 2gb on the $170 chromeboxes, and an unknown A10 APU, which is at least better gpu than the intel; cpu wise, it probably depends on the clocks, which haven't been published. And who knows what the boot situation is going to look like.

If I want to play old school Atari games, I'll dig my Atari 2600 out of the closet and plug in one of the 4 dozen game cartages stored with it. :p

Well, you could order the joysticks by themselves, and buy the one without wood. A chromebox today starts at ~ $170, for $30 more, you get a cool case, 4gb ram instead of 2gb on the $170 chromeboxes, and an unknown A10 APU, which is at least better gpu than the intel; cpu wise, it probably depends on the clocks, which haven't been published. And who knows what the boot situation is going to look like.

Yeah, there are plenty of options available. I just see this as one more, and I do like the look of it, and the controllers actually. I may actually order some of their controllers, but I'll wait until they're actually readily available I think.

If I want to play old school Atari games, I'll dig my Atari 2600 out of the closet and plug in one of the 4 dozen game cartages stored with it. :p

I'll play some four-player Warlords! Will there be whiskey?

I tried: https://pchound.com/xoGX3x/ I got close, but the problem is that I had to add storage. They are only putting in 32GB, and that isn't enough for doing much.

Edit: I forgot the power supply, which I always do.

Last edited:
Not feeling it. Just don't care to get one. It's not even remotely as nostalgic as the NES classic was. I might go for that Intellivision, depending on what it is and what it costs.

Personally the old 8 bit games were the coolest thing ever in 1982. That was a long time ago. I satisfied my nostalgia several years back when I played a lot of the old games with an emulator.
But that is the 'puter savvy guy I am that can do that stuff. That is no the average gamer out there. I think it will be a big hit and not just because of the nostalgia aspect. So the burning question as always is: "Will it run Crysis?" Yes. Yes it will (if someone ports it)

There has to be more to it. What's the purpose? Many people already have other consoles that can do the media aspect (or SmartTV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, etc.). They don't need another one of those. For games, if it's playing 2600 games, a Pi Zero can handle that. For all Atari games including Jaguar? Pi 2/3. For new original games? Ouya tried that already and failed.

I just fail to see the actual purpose for the machine at that price. It's either been done before, better alternatives, or just way overpowered for what they are using it for.

It's not a bad piece of hardware. It's just what it's being used for that I want to know more about. Do they have a lineup of new, original games? Are they licensing it out for other developers (and do they have some already lined up?)?. I need more answers and details before I'll throw down my money. Nostalgia is great, this looks cool, but I just want to know it's purpose beyond 2600 games.

If I still had my system (it was a European PAL system that doesn't work here) I would.

Have you seen how much a functioning system goes for on eBay these days though?

You'd also need a TV with a composite picture input. Most don't have this anymore.

You'd also need a TV with a composite picture input. Most don't have this anymore.

Actually, not without an adapter of some kind. I think all original 2600s were RF-Modulator only. (though an adapter would be cheap enough) I think there are mods out there you can perform. Maybe the later, smaller version has composite outs?

count me in

Hmm... Maybe there needs to be a fancy version of this game, with a nice "Pro" controller consisting of four arcade spinners and buttons. :D Maybe in some kind of slanted cocktail type enclosure with an area for each player's drink.

Edit: Ha! They did try to bring it back with a modern version.

I think it would be better if it still looked blocky like the original though, but with fancy effects, and really nice controls. On the other hand, a system like this to play M.U.L.E. on might be even better.

Just seeing the old Atari font and box art gives me massive flashbacks.

Sadly, that's probably the high point of the nostalgia. I don't know that I actually need to play Missile Command again.

Just seeing the old Atari font and box art gives me massive flashbacks.

Sadly, that's probably the high point of the nostalgia. I don't know that I actually need to play Missile Command again.

Some old games hold up pretty well, some don't. With a few friends and some drinks, you'd be surprised at how long you can play some of the old ones. I had a huge party/bbq recently, and after a lot of people left, I formed what's referred to in my house as "Party 2" :D and we started playing MAME. We were all pretty tipsed at that point. We played Joust, Q*Bert, Final Fight, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Asteroids, Mappy, Le Bagnard , and some more obscure stuff. It was a lot of fun actually. Then of course we moved on to DoA5 matches. :D

I'll actually play the hell out of Robotron 2084 with a proper dual stick setup (which I have). Nobody that's been to my house has beat my score on that yet.

Still scratching my head about this product...the original Atari games are really not that much fun anymore. I've revisited them - most of them have not aged well. There are probably a few games that are ok (Warlord people in this thread - you know what I mean!)

That version of asteroids in the video was not the 2600 version. Looks like another MAME arcade emulator.

I grew up with an Atari. It was great, Pitfall, Chopper Command, Joust. Great games. But I can play them ALL on emulators or on a Raspberry Pi, what is this console for?

A message for all the haters -- you don't have to buy it.

The retro gaming/collector niche has become a boutique/artisan level industry. Look at all the console reboots, cart repro markets, new game and album releases on retro hardware, and companies like Rose Colored Gaming. Marketing to those who have more money than sense is smart. I mean come on -- this _is_ Hardocp. ;)

I grew up with an Atari. It was great, Pitfall, Chopper Command, Joust. Great games. But I can play them ALL on emulators or on a Raspberry Pi, what is this console for?

If that’s all it did, I wouldn’t take another look. It’s a PC in a cool little nostalgic box though. You can get that in MANY other ways. In fact I already have it in many other ways. :D I may not even be interested in another, but I also could be if something interesting happens with it. And that’s the question... Will something interesting happen on this? Either way it would make a very decent HTPC for those that like its style. There’s a big question mark over it, but I kinda like it. I hope it does well.

I tried: https://pchound.com/xoGX3x/ I got close, but the problem is that I had to add storage. They are only putting in 32GB, and that isn't enough for doing much.

Edit: I forgot the power supply, which I always do.
Bluetooth , wifi? 32gb, i think would be ssd... But in the end you are close, which means with the atari vcs you are getting your moneys worth in hardware alone.

To make it legal. Yes most of us in this thread have the skills to circumvent that issue.

I have to wonder why they are still looking at another full year before shipping units? What is the hold-up?

... Marketing to those who have more money than sense is smart. I mean come on -- this _is_ Hardocp. ;)
Being [H]ard is about spending money for maximum power. This is more like buying a Rasberry Pi designed by Jony Ive for Apple prices.

I knew when people hoped and prayed that it would be a magical $199 to compete with Shield, that was bullshit.

They're going for the CASH GRAB (TM) first and foremost. That starts with selling a closeout-priced Bristol Ridge that's no faster than current Intel integrated plus shitty Steamroller CPU, and then they saddle it with a shitty 32GB emmc and 4GB ram.

All for a price you could build your own Steam Machine powered by a 2200g with much better gaming performance, and a real 128GB SSD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3754888

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-120G...D=41W7w9dfhAL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820225096

$330 for vastly better performance in every fucking category. And You can play Atari Vault on your brand new Steam Machine, along with a whole lot of other games.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What's the new game resolution? <720p? 1080p? 1440p? 4k? There's no point having a 4k menu but the games run at much lower resolution.

I knew when people hoped and prayed that it would be a magical $199 to compete with Shield, that was bullshit.

They're going for the CASH GRAB (TM) first and foremost. That starts with selling a closeout-priced Bristol Ridge that's no faster than current Intel integrated plus shitty Steamroller CPU, and then they saddle it with a shitty 32GB emmc and 4GB ram.

All for a price you could build your own Steam Machine powered by a 2200g with much better gaming performance, and a real 128GB SSD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3754888

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-120G...D=41W7w9dfhAL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820225096

$330 for vastly better performance in every fucking category. And You can play Atari Vault on your brand new Steam Machine, along with a whole lot of other games.

Infogrames going for a cash grab, whoddathunkit?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do they have a lineup of new, original games?
They say they are making them, but nothing has been announced.

Are they licensing it out for other developers
Yes

(and do they have some already lined up?)?.
Not yet specifically, but if you count the fact that any game that will run on Linux will run on this machine, there are a lot of 3rd party games that will run on this out of the box.

Back