Atari 7800 Schematics Found in Dumpster Dive

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by erek, Nov 10, 2019.

1. erek

erek 2[H]4U

2. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for this, I'm a long time Atari hack. I never had any exposure to the 7800, and I guess historically, neither did many other people.

AceGoober likes this.
  3. Ready4Dis

Ready4Dis Gawd

I had a 7800... Not sure why you think People didn't have exposure. They were available for purchase ;). I had a 2600 as well as a 5200. Fun systems.

4. Burticus

Burticus [H]ardness Supreme

I had a 7800 that I got at an electronics wholesale auction... it was thrown into a big box of random electronic junk and some carts. While it was a giant step up from the 2600, it wasn't as good as say a NES, Sega Master system, or a C64 which were all out at the time. I think if Atari could have released the 7800 instead of the 5200, they would have made bigger impact and stayed relevant longer. But by the time the 7800 finally released, no one cared any more.

The 7800 is the console that the 5200 should have been. Actual hardware compatibility with the 2600, and some very decent arcade ports and games.

edit - I just read the wikipedia. So the delay wasn't intentional, it was all held up due to Atari being sold to Tramiel's company from Warner, and all current projects got suspended until that all played out. Bad timing I guess.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Revdarian, SamirD and PhaseNoise like this.
  5. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

There's a lot of history with Atari mismanagement unfortunately. Even as a young un I remember being very frustrated at the missteps at every turn.

But as for the tech - man, what fun. You could do so much with a handful of instructions on the platforms of that day!

6. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

I had an Atari 2600 when I was young that mom got from a garage sale for almost nothing in 1990. I barely remember it, other than being frustrated with how simple the games were. It was quickly replaced with a Sega Genesis and passed off to one of my friends at the time who didn't have a game system.

7. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

Hey, I still have my 2600 from when we bought it back in the day. Have all the carts and the joysticks and paddles too as they would also work on the c64. (y)

It's sad that the simplicity of the games is lost on the modern generation. I can still play asteroids for quite a while without boredom. :)

GoldenTiger likes this.
  8. SmokeRngs

SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

I loved my 7800 simply because I could also play 2600 games on it which was nice because quite a few people had them laying around and gave them to me for nothing.

9. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

That was the killer part about the 7800, but like someone said earlier, it came too late. Most people had moved on from the 2600, so the value in that wasn't as strong as it would be if the 7800 had been released earlier.

10. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

How rare you tarnish the realm of Tamriel with your twisted words.

11. Revdarian

Revdarian 2[H]4U

Well, what really killed atari wasn't the console division but the computer one, look up the insane price cuts they did over there, going from 9xx$ to sub 200$ in a single year selling at such massive loss is what bankrupted them. It's similar to how Sony burned money selling the ps3 at a loss but on a bigger and worse scale since they couldn't hope to recoup the losses from software royalties on the platform.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/know...r-computer-division-that-killed-them.1509829/

It's explained in depth here.

(just saying that even if the 7800 would have come earlier, they were going full retard)

12. Burticus

Burticus [H]ardness Supreme

Hey I grew up as a commodore kid, so I am fully familiar with management fuckwittery