AT&T/T-Mobile Merger: 7 Biggest Changes for Customers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are a T-Mobile or AT&T customer, you are probably wondering what is in store for you if and when the merger is finalized in a year. To get you up to speed, Digital Trends put together a list of the seven changes that will most likely be made when the companies join. At least you will be able to plan ahead with your contract and see where you will stand.

This likely means big changes for subscribers of both AT&T and T-Mobile (but especially T-Mobile) and they're not all good.

I read over this article and bullet point 3 T-Mobile users will get access to the iPhone, well whoppie freaking doo! If I wanted a iPhone I would be a AT&T customer not a T-Mobile customer, aside from that the article seems pretty spot on One thing most people have ignored about this merger is that AT&T outright said that once the merger goes through and they begin assimilating the T-Mobile network is that they are shutting down the T-Mo 3G frequency. That means all of us that have 3G phones will no longer get high speed internet although we can still get Edge. If we want to continue having high speed then we will have to get a AT&T phone, which they graciously said they may cover some of the expense in a user having to upgrade their handset. I'm also quite sure in doing this a customer will have to change their contract up seeing how you'd be signing up for a "new" service thus losing hope of keeping a grandfathered plan.

They forgot #8. Less lube will be used when you get it up the ass from a cell phone carrier.

tmo customers will pay more.
nothing else matters.

i want to keep my tmo prepaid plan. Nothing beats the "gold rewards" feature- keep your minutes for 1 extra year for just $10.

They forgot one:

Anyone who wants a multiband GSM phone at home so they can use it abroad... Can't NOT use AT&T.

This seems to directly conflict with much of the information in both companies official press releases.

Would you expect EITHER of them to just come right out and say, "Dear customers, both ATT and T-Mobile, we are pleased to announce that one of the changes that will affect you all is going to be ..... drum roll..... HIGHER PRICES!! Hooray!!"

"Can't NOT" ? Do you mean either "can not use At&t" or "can't use At&t" ?
no, techrat means the double negative, and in this case the two compound to something approaching "must". Your only major option for GSM in the US will be ATT, so unless you buy a CDMA/GSM phone like the droid2 global (which is the 2nd most expensive droid VZW offers), your only option is ATT.

no, techrat means the double negative, and in this case the two compound to something approaching "must". Your only major option for GSM in the US will be ATT, so unless you buy a CDMA/GSM phone like the droid2 global (which is the 2nd most expensive droid VZW offers), your only option is ATT.

This is the part right here that should make this an illegal monopoly. For crap's sake, Microsoft was made in Europe to INCLUDE other web browsers than their own. This will provide the U.S. with one sole GSM carrier. Yes, Verizon has a couple of phones you can buy that will let you use them around the world, but this merger is going to be bad bad bad bad bad bad news.

I suppose if FCC officials and other government entities get special discount rates that the general public will never see, then of course they aren't worried about a monopoly.

As I have said before, Fuck AT&T.

Signed,
T-Mobile Customer who fled AT&T

simple solution- make ATT continue to operate TMO under the TMO name, with all TMO plans intact.

since we are ideally a progressive society, they should include some bonus features for TMO customers, ie "more for less".
Doesn't technology get cheaper and cheaper? so ATT should have no problem keeping TMO prices, or decreasing them even further.

sadly, ATT is only concerned about profits and appeasing investors that soon you'll be charged 5 cents for each number you press on your phone. 1800-FUCK-ATT, 55 cents.

As I have said before, Fuck AT&T.

Signed,
T-Mobile Customer who fled AT&T

I feel so badly for people in your situation. There was a benefit to sticking with GSM, mainly roaming in other countries (I personally think CDMA is a far superior tech and it should have prevailed over GSM, but Qualcomm had to be such fucking idiots about licensing... but that's besides the point) and you still had a way to stay away from the nightmare that was AT&T/Cingular/SBC... but now... ugh. God. AT&T's theme song might as well be Hotel California.

This is the part right here that should make this an illegal monopoly. For crap's sake, Microsoft was made in Europe to INCLUDE other web browsers than their own. This will provide the U.S. with one sole GSM carrier. Yes, Verizon has a couple of phones you can buy that will let you use them around the world, but this merger is going to be bad bad bad bad bad bad news.

This is exactly what worries me the most about the whole situation. Imagine how it might be for other countries who had mutual international roaming agreements with TMobile... and AT&T's not gonna care about keeping things competitive and fair when any other cell carrier could just work out a roaming agreement with TMobile instead of AT&T. There's basically zero incentive now for AT&T to play fair... and we've all seen how horrible they CAN get when they're face with competition.

I'm hoping the FCC or Justice Dept. puts a halt to this, I really like my cheap T-Mobile plan and think anything AT&T is involved in eventually turns into an brutal ass-fucking for the consumer.

As a T-Mobile customer I see nothing but negatives.

1. Expanded coverage - I've had no problems with coverage or dropped calls with T-Mobile. Can't say the same for people I know with AT&T

2. Higher prices for everyone - AT&T's pricing is about 40% higher than my current T-Mobile plan.

3. T-Mobile users get the iPhone - Don't want one and never will.

4. Customers will have fewer phones choices overall - More AT&T Fail.

5. Billing cycle changes and higher fees for T-Mobile users - AT&T Fail again, more money for worse service.

6. No more “unlimited” data plans - I normally don't even come close to using 5GB, but I will NOT go with a plan will charge me more if I go over, especially with AT&T's low 2GB cap.

7. T-Mobile customers get rollover minutes - Another worthless (to me) feature. I rarely come close to using up my minutes (I have the lowest plan that include free night and weekend minutes), since I mostly use T-Mobile night and weekend minutes. Roll over minutes would have saved me nothing over the last 2 years.

The only change I'm making with my phone, is that I'm delaying any plans to upgrade until I see how this plays out. I don't want to be stuck with a phone that I can't use on the merged network.

Well, ATT is capping DSL at 150 gigs, and Uverse at 250 gigs, with overages starting may 2nd.. Which isn't bad, but this is ATT.. I think the cap will go lower and the ten dollars per 50 gig overages will increase in price as well... I feel that they are testing the waters for public reaction and then will mysteriously need to go higher from there....

Any company that pulls over 4 billion from a USF fund for soo called rural POTS maintenance is full of shit!

"Looks at my Sprint phone and smiles"

"Looks at the iphone that work provides and laughs..."

I really really do not like AT&T.

Well, I think this is a decent article. What I care more about is; will I be able to get the hell out of my contract when the deal goes through?

I also really dislike how in the US it really seems like the carriers are just handed customers on a silver platter, it does not seem like they are fighting for our business which is the whole idea of a free market right?

VZW does have a range of global CDMA/GSM phones. You mentioned the most expensive one, but they do cover the price and feature range. They do have a global phone that is a $29 basic flip phone. Choice is limited to 7-8 phones, but you do have the choice of WinMo, Blackberry, and Android.

I don't like this merger at all. I hate AT&T and used to be a T-mobile customer before switching to VZW a couple years ago. IMHO T-Mobile had great customer support.

I hate AT&T as much as I despise Verizon. But I fear that the rumors are true. This is in best interests of T-Mobile. Apparently their USA division has been bleeding money and the company can't have it anymore. So they are keeping TMob UK but selling off TMob USA. It's just unfortunate and I'm sad, because this HTC HD2 is the best phone I have ever owned and I better be able to still use it after the smoke clears...

I read over this article and bullet point 3 T-Mobile users will get access to the iPhone, well whoppie freaking doo! If I wanted a iPhone I would be a AT&T customer not a T-Mobile customer, aside from that the article seems pretty spot on One thing most people have ignored about this merger is that AT&T outright said that once the merger goes through and they begin assimilating the T-Mobile network is that they are shutting down the T-Mo 3G frequency. That means all of us that have 3G phones will no longer get high speed internet although we can still get Edge. If we want to continue having high speed then we will have to get a AT&T phone, which they graciously said they may cover some of the expense in a user having to upgrade their handset. I'm also quite sure in doing this a customer will have to change their contract up seeing how you'd be signing up for a "new" service thus losing hope of keeping a grandfathered plan.

I think that will get you out of your contract.

I could be wrong, but ..they can't provide the 3G service you are paying for because of their own act (shutting down the frequency), thereby they voided their own term agreement.

It's sorta the same way people get out of cell contracts in the first place, look for the change in the ToS that would cost you more money than your agreement states (whether 10cents or $10).

Well, I think this is a decent article. What I care more about is; will I be able to get the hell out of my contract when the deal goes through?
This has been a question on my mind. Why stay on a sinking ship? Why buy new phones from T-Mobile, like the SideKick and G2? What if you already bought a super expensive phone, like the G2?

As soon as the cell towers get re-purposed for AT&T's needs, our old T-Mobile cell phones are going to work like crap. Will I be given a new Android phone, when I find out that my current Android phone isn't working for jack?

I'd love to be able to jump ship right now, and join Verizon or Sprint.
I also really dislike how in the US it really seems like the carriers are just handed customers on a silver platter, it does not seem like they are fighting for our business which is the whole idea of a free market right?
That's the other big problem. Who thinks T-Mobile users wanna join AT&T? I personally don't think the government should let this go through. I'm hoping they don't, but if it does then please rip up my contract.

The merger is going to take 1 year, and then another year to move T-Mobile consumers over. Why should I stick around? What benefit do I gain out of this merger? I should get my T-Mobile contract ripped up for free, right now.

I hate AT&T as much as I despise Verizon. But I fear that the rumors are true. This is in best interests of T-Mobile. Apparently their USA division has been bleeding money and the company can't have it anymore. So they are keeping TMob UK but selling off TMob USA. It's just unfortunate and I'm sad, because this HTC HD2 is the best phone I have ever owned and I better be able to still use it after the smoke clears...

In the UK T-mobile is merging with Orange. They're forming a new network called 'everything everywhere'. At the moment customers from each network get free roaming on the other when they get a bad signal on their home network. But the plan is that eventualy both sets of customers will just connect to a single network.

The thing is, the T-mobile and Orange brands arent going away, they are keeping them as 'budget' and 'premium' brands. AT&T could do that, if they actualy cared, but i'm guessing they won't.

Ya I really hope this doesn't happen. Wouldn't have any direct effect on me, work pays for a Verizion phone since that is who they are signed on with, but if I start to have to get my own phone again, T-Mobile would probably be my provider. I was actually with them before they were T-Mobile, back when they were Voice Stream.

Their coverage isn't great nationally speaking, but is fine where I live which is what I need. I always liked their plans, and they gave me far less trouble than other providers (AT&T were the worst of the ones I tried). All in all I found them to be a good company. Would be a shame to lose them, particularly to AT&T.

Everyone all are bitching about att role in this but hey t mobile did not have to sell their company to att. It is as much T mobile's fault as it is att or the fcc if this goes through. Btw I am an att customer and am an arm and a leg short due to their pricing. I am canceled internet on my smart phone because of the amount it cost.

I hope this does not mass muster with the regulators. I hate ATT. I had to deal with them managing 70 cell phones for a business, and I don't think there was EVER a month where they got the bill correct.

What happens to my T-Mobile VOIP phone service @ home? Its $10.00/month for unlimited calling..

What happens to my unlimited voice/data/text plans - 2 lines for $140/month.

This is horrible for consumers.

Years and Billions were spent breaking up the Bell's, and look where we are now.

I hope this gets blocked by the Fed. The last thing we need less of is competition in the Telco world, second evil only to Big Pharma.

To your point on the 3G phones and requiring customers to purchase an AT&T branded phone in order to get their 3G data; this will most likely not be the case. T-Mobiles network bands will be used for the 4G and T-Mobile phones should support Quadband GSM all the same frequencies AT&T uses.

one thing missed is that free trhering will be going away as well. T-mobile did not charge fo rit, but the other 3 do. I'd like to go to Sprint when my plan is up but they charge for tethering - otherwise they are th e only one with "unlimited"

Everyone all are bitching about att role in this but hey t mobile did not have to sell their company to att. It is as much T mobile's fault as it is att or the fcc if this goes through. Btw I am an att customer and am an arm and a leg short due to their pricing. I am canceled internet on my smart phone because of the amount it cost.

As a T-Mobile customer, I feel that T-Mobile just took a piss on all it's customers. On top of that, they are taunting us, with new cell phones coming out. At this point, T-Mobile probably has to sell, cause their customers are pissed.

The problem is, should it be AT&T that gets to have T-Mobile? AT&T and Verizon are already huge, and don't need more then what they have already. I believe that Sprint should get T-Mobile.

As a T-Mobile customer, this deal fucks us 10x more then it does for you. AT&T customers get to have better reception, and better coverage. Probably better phones, since AT&T has a lot of shitty choices. For T-Mobile customers, we probably lose signal quality over time. The cell phones we have maybe forced into EDGE or 2G speeds. We'll be stuck in a 2 year transition, which will be frustrating for those of us who get phone upgrades, and still stuck in contract.

The only reason AT&T customers should worry, is cause in the long run AT&T will fuck everyone over. Increasing the prices, and more demanding contracts. At some point, that iPhone 6G is going to require you to pay $300, and donate blood. Lets be fucking frank, Verizon and AT&T maybe working together in price fixing.

I think they should require that T-Mobile can be sold, but only to a non-GSM cellular provider. It should HAVE to be Sprint, Verizon, or a non-cellular U.S. company altogether.

My wife is using my old iPhone 3G on T-Mo w/o data. She couldn't care less about having data on-the-go since most places she goes has WiFi. T-Mo knows this and is completely fine with it, and has even gone so far as to give support for her iPhone when it was having issues with MMS. Great customer service.

However, with AT&T forcing all smartphones to have a data plan, regardless of whether or not the handset is wholly owned by the subscriber or subsidized by the carrier, are they going to screw us over by forcing a data plan on her if she keeps my old 3G? My gut says "yes". Has anyone seen anything that clarifies this?

Back