at&t: galaxy note or htc one x?

I have an upgrade finally coming up - 20 months into the 24 months contract now - have a choice of another phone that will last me another 20 months - literally can't wait no longer to upgrade lol.. so note it is?

I own the Note and I love it. The One X will definitely be faster but the giant screen of the Note is just too nice.

my friends have the rezound from verizon and skyrocket both cpus are the s3 snapdragon and it is literally stuttering at times when I tried it - same cpu with galaxy note I read - can that s3 snapdragon last me next two years?

i am personally hoping by the time the Note comes to VZW it will have an upgraded CPU.....the HTC One X will certainly last longer from a performance standpoint, but if the Note gets a solid AOSP CM9 build, it will scream anyways

touchwiz kind of plain, I do enjoy sense
I do love the 5.3 - kind of disappointed that tegra still no support for lte

Wow, thought people here would go for the One X. I might say the note if it was the same as the International Note. As in Exynos internals instead of Snapdragon, which are at about opposite ends of the performance spectrum when compared to other SoCs. I agree that the Snapdragon is a lagfest, my wife has the Rezound (same S3 Snapdragon @ 1.5 GHz as the AT&T Note) and it's noticeably slower than my Galaxy Nexus, esp at scrolling anywhere and browsing the web.

So I would say the One X. Much faster hardware and I'm sure it will have an unlockable bootloader and have stock ICS ROMs available and custom kernels on top of that. At 4.7" too, it's not like it will be too small for you, hah. Personally I couldn't stand having a larger phone than the Galaxy Nexus, it's awkward enough to use with one hand when you have to. I couldn't imagine using the Note comfortably with one hand.

my friends have the rezound from verizon and skyrocket both cpus are the s3 snapdragon and it is literally stuttering at times when I tried it - same cpu with galaxy note I read - can that s3 snapdragon last me next two years?
Umm... Stop the misinformation.

The HTC One X has the dual-core Snapdragon S4 , which is better than the upcoming quad-core Exynos on the Galaxy S3. The A15 architecture is superior to the A9.

Umm... Stop the misinformation.

The HTC One X has the dual-core Snapdragon S4 , which is better than the upcoming quad-core Exynos on the Galaxy S3. The A15 architecture is superior to the A9.

I don't think he meant to say that the One X has the S3, he was just reiterating that the Rezound has the same S3 SoC as the AT&T Note, which is true. So he was asking if the Note would last two years with that older type of SoC.

I am thinking about using the upgrade on note - since the "full retail" price on that is ~700 dollars and 2 years contract is ~250 dollars on att
and maybe buy one x out right since it is 550 dollars and 2 years contract is ~150 dollars

I guess you get the stylus with the note as well, could be fun. Ask yourself how you'll be carrying these around. If you're going to pocket them, be sure your shorts/pants can hold a note. You might be one of those skinny jean weirdo's I don't know. :p

I guess you get the stylus with the note as well, could be fun. Ask yourself how you'll be carrying these around. If you're going to pocket them, be sure your shorts/pants can hold a note. You might be one of those skinny jean weirdo's I don't know. :p

still rocking baggy jeans - had pay extra premiums for them now - no one makes baggy jeans anymore the olden days' regular jeans are now "baggy"...... and somehow I found out they now make extra extra skinny jeans smh :rolleyes:

I would go with the One X... Note is waay too big, plus the One X kills it in performance, the note i tried felt choppy
S4 chipset is a big step forward

Might as well get a laptop with a sim card at this point. The note is a behemoth.

most people here will load a custom launcher, even if they aren't rooted and all that....so the stock interface means mostly nothing
Pretty much. The advantage to loading the stock launcher is that you still get some of the nice embedded features of Touchwiz in other areas of the OS.

Well all i know is after spending a few years with 4~4.3" devices, moving to 4.7" is weaksauce and still feels cramped on friends devices. I guess it depends on what you do. For me, a semi-professional office/lab worker who is a slacks guy and sits in meetings at least several hours a week, the Note is perfect size. With a screen that size you can actually use excel or word documents. I also do a lot of R&D documentation, taking pics with annotations and instructions. This is like having a tablet I can toss in my pocket.

I have a friend who wears only cargo pants or pands with a 5th pocket just for his phones. Still haven't told him, he's entered that Reserved place for the geekiest among us.

Personally, I would go with the One X. That said, if you want that big 5.3" screen the One X will be no substitute. Better battery life on the Note too, from what I understand. Really though, I'd also wait until the 3rd when Samsung announces the GS3. We've been hearing they are pushing hard for a global launch this time, though I remain skeptical to of whether or not the US carriers will play ball.

In anycase, the One X doesn't arrive on AT&T until the 6th, so there is no harm in waiting and see what happens.

Personally, I would go with the One X. That said, if you want that big 5.3" screen the One X will be no substitute. Better battery life on the Note too, from what I understand. Really though, I'd also wait until the 3rd when Samsung announces the GS3. We've been hearing they are pushing hard for a global launch this time, though I remain skeptical to of whether or not the US carriers will play ball.

In anycase, the One X doesn't arrive on AT&T until the 6th, so there is no harm in waiting and see what happens.

very true patiently waiting... can't contain my excitements for new toys anymore though :D:eek::p

I don't think he meant to say that the One X has the S3, he was just reiterating that the Rezound has the same S3 SoC as the AT&T Note, which is true. So he was asking if the Note would last two years with that older type of SoC.

The Exynos SoC on the other Note is still much much closer to S3 than it is to S4 tho, Exynos just has a better GPU but otherwise it and S3 are just A9-based dual core SoCs. Hell, Tegra 3 is just an A9 based quad with a "companion core" and better GPU / power optimization. S4 is a true generational leap forward in process tech (22nm) and design (A15).

As for the OP's question... For me, neither. The Note is a bit too big and running outdated hardware at this point, the One X does a lot of things right but no removable storage is a total bummer... If you can get over that then go for it.

I'd at least wait until the SGS3 announcement before making up your mind tho... I'm hardly a fan of Samsung (ill probably be buying the EVO LTE, SO glad they pimped it up compared to the X), but the announcement is right around the corner on May 3.

Who knows, they might shock everyone and announce a simultaneous global launch for once.

Pretty much. The advantage to loading the stock launcher is that you still get some of the nice embedded features of Touchwiz in other areas of the OS.

You can kill the TW launcher completely or freeze it (if rooted) and all the other TW stuff integrated into the OS will still be there... The custom message/camera apps, notification pane tweaks, general skinning, etc. The only thing that would also go away is the ugly ass app launcher since that's part of the, well, launcher app.

I love the Note. The One X will be nice, but since it isnt going to be a Quad core like the International version I dont really see it being that much more "Future proof" than the Note. I dont see myself ever see myself being able to go below a 5" screen again.

I love the Note. The One X will be nice, but since it isnt going to be a Quad core like the International version I dont really see it being that much more "Future proof" than the Note. I dont see myself ever see myself being able to go below a 5" screen again.

Quite the opposite actually. Tegra 3 is to a Core 2 Quad like S4 / Krait is to a dual core Lynnfield i5. S4 is based around A15, which is much faster clock for clock than A9 (what Terra 3 is based on), and multi threaded mobile apps aren't any more prevalent than their desktop counterparts.

NVidia managed to pull some kinda marketing coup with Tetra 3's early launch, I'm surprised it worked so well even amogst enthusiasts.

There's several reasons certain US variants of phones are using S4 (or older Qualcomm SoC at other times), its mostly due to integrated radios which helps efficiency, S4 in particular is also built on a much more efficient process than any other SoC right now (22nm to Tegra 3's 40nm IIRC) and it has LTE built in.

S4 supply is also pretty tight tho, but Qualcomm did manage a bit of a coup by beating everyone else to market with an A15 based SoC, by quite a lenghty margin too.

The Exynos SoC on the other Note is still much much closer to S3 than it is to S4 tho, Exynos just has a better GPU but otherwise it and S3 are just A9-based dual core SoCs..

No. The S3 (in the AT&T Note and Rezound) is a Cortex A8 CPU. The Exynos 4210 (as well as the TI OMAP 4XXX SoCs) in the International Note and Galaxy S II are A9s. The Exynos 4210 is considerably faster in all areas than the S3.

Complete list of ARM core applications.

Last edited:
The note is huge. I was used to an Optimus S and started playing with a Note and it just feels weird to me holding it up to my head. Though using it like a tablet with the stylus is awesome. I think i want to try the One X though as it will be a good compromise in size. I dont like that there is no removable storage or battery though. I read something about a company planning to make extended batteries for those daring enough to bust open their casing.

No. The S3 (in the AT&T Note and Rezound) is a Cortex A8 CPU. The Exynos 4210 (as well as the TI OMAP 4XXX SoCs) in the International Note and Galaxy S II are A9s. The Exynos 4210 is considerably faster in all areas than the S3.

Complete list of ARM core applications.

Hmm, my mistake, its still a generation behind S4 tho. Did they make an A9 based A3 variant at some point?

Last edited:
The S3 is a "A8.5" chip that's based on the A8 but with improvements that give it performance maybe halfway to A9 class chips.

What it boils down to is that the 1.5GHz S3 is about as fast as an A9 at 1.2GHz.

So in the end the real advantage the Exynos has is the better GPU.

The Exynos SoC on the other Note is still much much closer to S3 than it is to S4 tho, Exynos just has a better GPU but otherwise it and S3 are just A9-based dual core SoCs. Hell, Tegra 3 is just an A9 based quad with a "companion core" and better GPU / power optimization. S4 is a true generational leap forward in process tech (22nm) and design (A15).

As for the OP's question... For me, neither. The Note is a bit too big and running outdated hardware at this point, the One X does a lot of things right but no removable storage is a total bummer... If you can get over that then go for it.

I'd at least wait until the SGS3 announcement before making up your mind tho... I'm hardly a fan of Samsung (ill probably be buying the EVO LTE, SO glad they pimped it up compared to the X), but the announcement is right around the corner on May 3.

Who knows, they might shock everyone and announce a simultaneous global launch for once.

More misinformation! The S4 is not an A15 chip!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)
The successor to Scorpion, found in S4 Snapdragon SoCs is named Krait and has many similarities with the ARM Cortex-A15 CPU and is also based on the ARMv7 instruction set.

Quad cores are barely used on most end user desktop machines, let alone cellular phones....

The Krait in the One X has far superior single threaded performance, and that truly is what most people will notice when they use most programs.... multithreaded workloads are still so exceedingly rare, that even the 2nd core on the Krait would go unused or underutilized most of the time...

Oh yea: Personally, despite the One X having a truly futureproof chipset, its lack of expandable storage would kill it for me, and if a gun were put to my head, I'd choose the Note over the One X if that were my only option.

Quad cores are barely used on most end user desktop machines, let alone cellular phones....

The Krait in the One X has far superior single threaded performance, and that truly is what most people will notice when they use most programs.... multithreaded workloads are still so exceedingly rare, that even the 2nd core on the Krait would go unused or underutilized most of the time...

Oh yea: Personally, despite the One X having a truly futureproof chipset, its lack of expandable storage would kill it for me, and if a gun were put to my head, I'd choose the Note over the One X if that were my only option.

People need to stop saying this about desktops. Sure, a lot of applications won't use all 4 cores, but if you're multi-tasking (or a standard PC user, using IE with over 9000 add-ons and toolbars), a quad will do something for you.

That and I dare say most people with quad/hex/octo core machines are touching in photoshop, or video editing, or some such thing.

Back