AT: Intel’s Manufacturing Roadmap from 2019 to 2029: Back Porting, 7nm, 5nm, 3nm, 2nm, and 1.4 nm

Lol:ROFLMAO:@ any long term roadmap from intel. And i don't understand the comments that intel wont be around in 10 years. i'm assuming they're joking. If not they're knuckle heads to put it nicely.

Probably both ;)

Seems a bit optimistic given their 14nm history.

Really, they effed up on one of the possible routes to ~10nm and smaller, and then doubled down. Their history prior is indicative of their continued march against Moore's Law.

Not very analogous to Intel's repeated quad core (2) releases on same tweaked core redundancy that we have had since 2006. That is purposeful stagnation. At least AMD tried something different to try and revolutionize the field. Intel really has nothing to compare in terms of effort or "new" since 2006.

Did you get your AMD tatoo yet? Have you posted in the Pictures thread?

Seriously -- Intel boosted performance, provided innovative features (that AMD is copying), and kept prices lower than they needed to given that they were their own competition and AMD was nowhere to be found outside of the bargain bin. And despite their 'stagnation', which is fair, Intel is still the performance leader in many CPU markets and the volume leader by at least an order of magnitude.

Bulldozer (2011) was the followup to Phenom II (2008). Just because AMD's Bulldozer architecture was not well received is not indicative that AMD did nothing. Bulldozer was a "daring" design that tried to predict where software needs were going.

Not very analogous to Intel's repeated quad core (2) releases on same tweaked core redundancy that we have had since 2006. That is purposeful stagnation. At least AMD tried something different to try and revolutionize the field. Intel really has nothing to compare in terms of effort or "new" since 2006.

It's pretty clear what company has sat on their ass. The one that got left behind,

Nehalem was a HUGE bump in performance and pretty big change from core 2. Sandy bridge was also pretty large in terms of performance gain.

K10 was kind of meh. Just because bulldozer was a huge departure arc. Wise doesn't mean AMD didn't sit on their asses during the dominance of k8. They did. Thanks Hector ruiz.

Did you get your AMD tatoo yet? Have you posted in the Pictures thread?

Seriously -- Intel boosted performance, provided innovative features (that AMD is copying), and kept prices lower than they needed to given that they were their own competition and AMD was nowhere to be found outside of the bargain bin. And despite their 'stagnation', which is fair, Intel is still the performance leader in many CPU markets and the volume leader by at least an order of magnitude.

fixed.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Nehalem was a HUGE bump in performance and pretty big change from core 2. Sandy bridge was also pretty large in terms of performance gain.

K10 was kind of meh. Just because bulldozer was a huge departure arc. Wise doesn't mean AMD didn't sit on their asses during the dominance of k8. They did. Thanks Hector ruiz.

Your reference of "big jumps" by intel can easily be compared to the Zen2 release. Performance "jumps" are not always indicative of the actual effort or "new arch", You sort of glazed over my point - that AMD has tried more often and with more progressive designs.

Your reference of "big jumps" by intel can easily be compared to the Zen2 release. Performance "jumps" are not always indicative of the actual effort or "new arch", You sort of glazed over my point - that AMD has tried more often and with more progressive designs.

Yet they haven't.

Nehalem was a huge departure vs. core 2. It added triple channel memory, an IMC, and SMT and I'm sure a host of other things. It's more comparable to the jump AMD made with k7 to k8. I'd argue sandy is similar to zen 1 to zen 2.

Nehalem was a huge departure vs. core 2. It added triple channel memory, an IMC, and SMT and I'm sure a host of other things. It's more comparable to the jump AMD made with k7 to k8. I'd argue sandy is similar to zen 1 to zen 2.

That makes sense.

edit: To say AMD sat on their ass while developing Bulldozer is a misrepresentation.

Last edited:
How?

Where's my ultrabook CPU? Where's my 5GHz gaming octocore? Where's my > quad-core APU?

Those are niche markets and you know it. Ill concede AMD is lacking in the portable market. Also, with appropriate memory timings the performance difference between a 5GHz intel and Zen 2 platform is negligible

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Bigger than that, really, as not only did IPC increase, but clockspeeds shot up too -- especially with overclocking, which AMD cannot do.

I'd have to look up performance % improvements, but I think zen 2 had bigger perf. gains vs zen 1 than sandy vs nehalem no?

I'd have to look up performance % improvements, but I think zen 2 had bigger perf. gains vs zen 1 than sandy vs nehalem no?

Likely similar before overclocking, but after? Not even close.

Those are niche markets and you know it. Ill concede AMD is lacking in the portable market.

Mobile isn't niche -- that's where the money is in the consumer market. Enthusiasts like us here don't even reach a margin of error in terms of marketshare. AMD is chasing brand recognition, not marketshare, in the consumer space.

Also, with appropriate memory timings the performance difference between a 5GHz intel and Zen 2 platform is negligible

Which will cost you ;). But yeah, it's definitely close enough, and you'd have to get really specific with your requirements to merit an Intel CPU recommendation from me for a performance desktop.

How?

Where's my ultrabook CPU? Where's my 5GHz gaming octocore? Where's my > quad-core APU?
Muh five gigahurtz! Seriously dude it's irrelevant when zen2 IPC is higher and they reach parity gaming in most titles and slaughter elsewhere at far less power or vulnerabilities.
Ultrabook is q1. Besides most mobile aren't Ultrabook, plenty of people are fine with perfectly adequate Zen+ mobile perf, quite a few corporates have now acquired them for their fleet updates. That said I can't wait for the 7nm apu butthurt to begin in ' real world workloads'.

Muh five gigahurtz! Seriously dude it's irrelevant when zen2 IPC is higher and they reach parity gaming in most titles and slaughter elsewhere at far less power or vulnerabilities.
Ultrabook is q1. Besides most mobile aren't Ultrabook, plenty of people are fine with perfectly adequate Zen+ mobile perf, quite a few corporates have now acquired them for their fleet updates. That said I can't wait for the 7nm apu butthurt to begin in ' real world workloads'.

So not here yet?

Gotcha.

It's come out that this version of the chart was faked.

Anandtech updated the article, and I have updated the first post with that text, and the original Intel slide:

Update: After some emailing back and forth, we can confirm that the slide that Intel's partner ASML presented at the IEDM conference is actually an altered version of what Intel presented for the September 2019 source. ASML added animations to the slide such that the bottom row of dates correspond to specific nodes, however at the time we didn't spot these animations (neither did it seem did the rest of the press). It should be noted that the correlation that ASML made to exact node names isn't so much a stretch of the imagination to piece together, however it has been requested that we also add the original Intel slide to provide context to what Intel is saying compared to what was presented by ASML. Some of the wording in the article has changed to reflect this. Our analysis is still relevant.

Last edited:
Those are niche markets and you know it. Ill concede AMD is lacking in the portable market. Also, with appropriate memory timings the performance difference between a 5GHz intel and Zen 2 platform is negligible

How to make AMD even fasterer:

Take a sedative.
Make reallly big eyes, and hold them that way.

Anandtech updated the article, and I have updated the first post with that text, and the original Intel slide:

Update: After some emailing back and forth, we can confirm that the slide that Intel's partner ASML presented at the IEDM conference is actually an altered version of what Intel presented for the September 2019 source. ASML added animations to the slide such that the bottom row of dates correspond to specific nodes, however at the time we didn't spot these animations (neither did it seem did the rest of the press). It should be noted that the correlation that ASML made to exact node names isn't so much a stretch of the imagination to piece together, however it has been requested that we also add the original Intel slide to provide context to what Intel is saying compared to what was presented by ASML. Some of the wording in the article has changed to reflect this. Our analysis is still relevant.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...-transistors-and-other-bleeding-edge-research

Back