ASUS Zenbook UX31E shuts off when unplugged

titan97

Gawd
I recently bought a Zenbook UX31E and I like the ultrabook overall. However, when I go from wall power to battery power, it shuts off. It will run on wall power for days without issue, and it will run for hours on battery power without issue.

Perhaps of note, I also run Folding@Home on it.

Searching the InterWebs, it seems that the hardware settings (in the BIOS?) change the max operating temperature instantly when a change in power source happens. So, while the machine is under load and at high(ish) temperatures and getting wall power, the hardware settings allow for the high temperatures just fine. But the moment it goes to battery power, the max temperature setting changes, which is now below the units actual temperature, resulting in immediate power down.

Does this sound logical? I've contact ASUS RMA/Tech Support, and they want me to send it in for service, but I doubt that it will be fixed.

Yes, I have updated the BIOS to the latest (rev 214), along with all drivers. Win8 x64 if that matters.

I received the unit at the end of February and the power issue was fixed, but now the wireless networking drops every 30 seconds or so. I called up support again and sent it in. I got it back last night and, after applying the normal Windows updates and rebooting, it failed to POST. The keyboard lights up, but I get no sounds of fans spinning, nada. This morning, I press the power button and the keyboard only lights up for a few seconds before turning off.

This sucks. I've had the unit since January and it hasn't worked well, ever. Isn't there an ASUS rep on the boards?

That's a bummer, might as well try to send it in again and ask for a new one instead of having yours repaired.

I had the same issue with my Zenbook UX21-E. It seems to be a very common issue with the first generation Zenbooks. The only way to get it fixed is to send it to ASUS RMA for repair. I just sent mine in last week, as it's still covered under the two-year warranty that comes standard with Zenbooks.

Back