ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

Ripped the whole SATA setup to pieces a few times with no luck then I had the wild idea of pulling my SSD's out of the hot swap bays in my 800D and hooking them up directly and everything came good.

It seems that simply by having the SSD's hooked up to the hot swap bays (which are essentially just just a Male/Female extension from what I can tell) the whole boot/drive detection on them went haywire. No problems with my spindle drives. You guys should talk to Corsair and see what the go is.

Could be incompatibility with these 6g ports. Are you using 6g cables? Wonder if corsairs bay connectors are the issue.

Good morning to you Raja from a sunny Holland. Here are the drives that refuse to boot with GPT partition(s):

OCZ Agility3 - 60GB
OCZ Vector - 256GB
Western Digital WD3200AAJS
Samsung HD103SJ (2 of them)
Samsung HD103UJ
Maxtor DiamondMax21

Plus five different USB 2.0 memory sticks.

Note: One of the Samsung HD103SJ I have here is now also no longer working. Not on any system anymore. I wish I hadn't used it for testing because all my pictures are on this drive (was my backup drive).

I think that the CSM module is the culprit here since the drives with Ubuntu partitions do boot.

Are those sad drives connected to the data ports or are you using a hub?

Technically I should be directing you to Holland for support since I am USA only but its my day off and I'm feeling generous :)

Could be incompatibility with these 6g ports. Are you using 6g cables? Wonder if corsairs bay connectors are the issue.

The cables support 6g so no worries there, dunno how the connectors would effect things. The connectors themselves just seem to be your standard power/sata connectors on a PCB with some caps.

In the meantime I'm finally starting to stretch the machines legs, currently plugging along in AIDA at 4.5ghz with 2400mhz memory @1.225v. Average temp is reading about 60 degrees with peaks in the mid 70's. Will see how it hold up over night then reach for 4.8ghz.

Are those sad drives connected to the data ports or are you using a hub?

Technically I should be directing you to Holland for support since I am USA only but its my day off and I'm feeling generous :)
Thanks. Not using a hub and what do you mean with data ports? I tried usb3_12 (front connectors) and the two USB 2.0 connectors on the back.

And where should I go for support in Dutch?

p.s. Seems I am getting garbage from the ports instead of the usual data that I am expecting.

I meant sata, auto correct on my nexus 7. I was trying to work out from your second post if the issue was confined to USB - the mention of ssd drives and USB ports earlier left me needing clarification. Wondering if you are using a drive bay to connect the ssds via USB or not.

Holland support, you'd need to use Google for Asus' web page and then go to the support section. We are employed by region, so each region is responsible for their customers.

The cables support 6g so no worries there, dunno how the connectors would effect things. The connectors themselves just seem to be your standard power/sata connectors on a PCB with some caps.

In the meantime I'm finally starting to stretch the machines legs, currently plugging along in AIDA at 4.5ghz with 2400mhz memory @1.225v. Average temp is reading about 60 degrees with peaks in the mid 70's. Will see how it hold up over night then reach for 4.8ghz.

Any additional interconnect can cause signal integrity issues. Seeing as Intel have tightened up tolerances it leaves me wondering if that's an issue in your setup. I'd contact corsair as it seems that they've had these issues before (on other platforms) as well.

Last edited:
I meant sata, auto correct on my nexus 7. I was trying to work out from your second post if the issue was confined to USB - the mention of ssd drives and USB ports earlier left me needing clarification. Wondering if you are using a drive bay to connect the ssds via USB or not.

Holland support, you'd need to use Google for Asus' web page and then go to the support section. We are employed by region, so each region is responsible for their customers.
I had the drives connected one after the other. Directly plugged-in on one of the yellow SATA ports. Tried all of them but no luck. So not just USB or SATA but both of them.

About Asus support in Holland. No go on Sunday (need to return it tomorrow at the latest to get a refund).

What is listed at the top in BOOT priority? IF the GPT install is in there it will look for that first - UEFI, or Windows BOOT loader prefix in the list. Given you've used our boards before, I doubt you've been caught out by that.

Support is weekdays only globally. I'm the only mug that logs in and does this stuff on weekends off my own back. Can't help you any more than I have, sorry.

Last edited:
What is listed at the top in BOOT priority? IF the GPT install is in there it will look for that first - UEFI, or Windows BOOT loader prefix in the list. Given you've used our boards before, I doubt you've been caught out by that.

Support is weekdays only globally. I'm the only mug that logs in and does this stuff on weekends off my own back. Can't help you any more than I have, sorry.
Raja,

Thank you so much for your kind help... in your spare time even!

But trust when I say this: The INT13 implementation is not right. The same drives do work with Gigabyte and Intel Z87 boards.

The best thing people who run into this can do is to remove the unused EFI partition and select "Hard drive" so that their boot loader gets the correct device number (0x80/128), but then it can't read the USB stick. Sadly. No idea why you would check for a EFI partition... for legacy mode (CSM) but that is basically (part of) the problem.

Anyway. I guess that I am forced to return my motherboard, because it simply doesn't work. Something I normally wouldn't do, as long time Asus fan. Even been a reseller for many years, until I retired a few years ago.

Thanks again!

No worries. Sorry you're in a fix and have to return the board.

Lay out the replication procedure in s single post and I'll forward to HQ anyway for others that may have the same problem.

It's beyond my scope of understanding to be honest with you. I still wonder if this is a BOOT priority issue (EFI install above in BOOT order seeng as you haven't implicity said you are manually setting the BOOT order I wonder if it is defaulting to the EFI partition). So I cannot help much.

Good luck with your next build :)

Any additional interconnect can cause signal integrity issues. Seeing as Intel have tightened up tolerances it leaves me wondering if that's an issue in your setup. I'd contact corsair as it seems that they've had these issues before (on other platforms) as well.

Corsair sells a SATA 6Gb/s Upgrade Kit for the 800D hotswap bays. So I would assume if you do not have that then the original hotswap bays are incompatible with SATA 6Gb/s. (Otherwise having an upgrade kit is pointless!)

http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-800d-sata-6gbps-upgrade-kit.html

No worries. Sorry you're in a fix and have to return the board.

Lay out the replication procedure in s single post and I'll forward to HQ anyway for others that may have the same problem.

It's beyond my scope of understanding to be honest with you. I still wonder if this is a BOOT priority issue (EFI install above in BOOT order seeng as you haven't implicity said you are manually setting the BOOT order I wonder if it is defaulting to the EFI partition). So I cannot help much.

Good luck with your next build :)
Thank you. I should have made it clear in one of my previous posts already, that I do set the boot order, manually, but only when I need to since when I remove the EFI then there is nothing to select anymore. The problem seems two fold:

1.) It checks for an EFI partition when it shouldn't (should not be done when CSM is enabled)
2.) INT 13 isn't fully supported.

Thanks again.

Still no dice on the WS in Germany, I ordered one at amazon.com now.... ~10 business days shipping time from the US, let's see if I receive it before general availability in Europe.

Just to get it right, if I OC the same way like Sandy/Ivy with an Offset I will not run into the 0.1v AVX triggered bump like the new Adaptive option? As long I can maintain around 0.9-1.0v idle I will probably stick to Offset and OC goal is 4.3-4.4Ghz, I will be limited to what a H80i is capable off.

AVX will result in VID ramp AFAIK. Only way to avoid is use static VID.

The dates I've given on release in this thread are for NA only. Not sure about EU dates - they have their own channel distri setups, and I don't cover those regions.

Hi Raja,

Is there an option in AI Suite III to turn off this little bar here?

tCUw4EQ.png

I can't seem to find an option to turn it off...I might be blind though! Thanks for your help!

Edit: I do know I can shrink it by clicking the arrow, but it sticks out just enough to cause issues (like covering the 'X' one would click to close Chrome's Downloads Bar).

Last edited:
I think you can right click and de-select but then it will hover at the right edge I think (cant recall off the top of my head).

I think you can right click and de-select but then it will hover at the right edge I think (cant recall off the top of my head).

Yep, it looks like if you just right click the the icon in the tray, there's an option where you can deselect the "ASUS Mini Bar" as it's called. It seems to be completely hidden now, at least that's what it looks like through TeamViewer. Thanks Raja!

Cool cool. Lemme know if its not persistent after reBOOT. A user on XS said it comes back after reBOOTIng. If so, I'll hit HQ up for a patch :)

Cool cool. Lemme know if its not persistent after reBOOT. A user on XS said it comes back after reBOOTIng. If so, I'll hit HQ up for a patch :)

Hey Raja,

Just rebooted my computer and it has come back, requiring me to hide it again. Might need a patch if it isn't too much trouble. :) Running Windows 8 Pro, Z87-Pro, and an i5-4670K. Thank you!

These Asus Z87 boards have so many "dual this" and "dual that" features that I want to confirm that the "Dual" in Z87 Deluxe/Dual is referring to dual thunderbolt ports and nothing else. Is that correct?

I cant decide between the Pro or the Deluxe. Only thing pushing me towards the Deluxe is the 16 phase +2 power vs the 12 phase +2 of the pro. Will this make any difference in OC stability? THe extra power and a few extra ports was the only difference i saw between the two.

I cant decide between the Pro or the Deluxe. Only thing pushing me towards the Deluxe is the 16 phase +2 power vs the 12 phase +2 of the pro. Will this make any difference in OC stability? THe extra power and a few extra ports was the only difference i saw between the two.

http://www.asus.com/us/Compare/

Also, Pro doesn't have additional Realtek LAN or 802.11ac WiFi it seems.

These Asus Z87 boards have so many "dual this" and "dual that" features that I want to confirm that the "Dual" in Z87 Deluxe/Dual is referring to dual thunderbolt ports and nothing else. Is that correct?

Yes, correct.

CPU will top out before you reach the limits of the boards I think. So doesn't really matter IMHO.

-Raja

Corsair sells a SATA 6Gb/s Upgrade Kit for the 800D hotswap bays. So I would assume if you do not have that then the original hotswap bays are incompatible with SATA 6Gb/s. (Otherwise having an upgrade kit is pointless!)

http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-800d-sata-6gbps-upgrade-kit.html

Not sure this kit is worth a shit. Since I installed it this afternoon, nothing but problems. I had been running fine up until this thing. Finally caved about an hour ago and removed it, and I'm smooth sailing now.

I have forwarded your post to a contact at Corsair. I'm not sure what can be done if it's a singaling problem due to the interconnect used in the bay (depends how tolerant the chipset is).

With all ports being 6G now, I'd imagine there had to be some tightening of tolerances.

Raja,

I am unable to contact anyone in Holland who understands the problem. so would you please, please be so kind to contact HQ and ask the folks to change:

Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Mass Storage Devices: Hard Disk

So that GPT formatted drives/USB sticks work like it does with all previous generations of Asus motherboards with UEFI BIOS'es.

Like I said. It does works with motherboards from Intel, GigaByte and AsRock so it has to be a bug on Asus side.

Thank you!

I thought you were returning your board there dude. :p

To be honest support do not need to understand you - they just forward the issue up the chain to someone who does (you aren't privy to that communication). I don't understand most stuff either - we just have contacts in the chain who do. Without that, support nowhere would work, so don't worry about what they understand or not my friend.

http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx?SLanguage=nl-nl

-Raja

Last edited:
Yes, correct.

Thanks Raja.

FWIW, even some of your distributors are apparently unclear as to what the "Dual" stands for in the Z87 Deluxe/Dual board. Newegg seems to think it has something to do with the dual band WiFi;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131987

"Dual Intelligent Processors 4, Dual-band AC WIFI"

And Provantage takes the cake thinking it has something to do with dual processors and actually has a picture of a board with 2 CPU sockets;

http://www.provantage.com/asus-z87-deluxe-dual~7ASUS262.htm?source=googleps

There is definitely some confusion here.

The link works for me. And since I am registered at the ROG forum Contactgegevens is already completed.
The link itself works, yes, but the button "Verzenden" (Submit) doesn't do anything in Safari (using OS X here).

Well those names are dual on all boards really, DIP 4, DUAL band etc. (my bad I should have said that earlier). Dual is used a lot you are correct.

For the Deluxe that dual moniker stands for Thunderbolt. However, Dual Thunderbolt is not something that is used as a catch for marketing material headings for the Deluxe Dual, and Newegg are just putting the same catch underneath that they use on the other boards as those techs are there too (TB is mentioned lower down in the features).

I don't get involved on the retail stuff Eldata. Just tell users who ask me what's what, where I can hehe...

-Raja

Last edited:
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Mass Storage Devices: Hard Disk

So that GPT formatted drives/USB sticks work like it does with all previous generations of Asus motherboards with UEFI BIOS'es.
I'm a bit confused here. Why would you format a USB stick as GPT instead of FAT or NTFS?

The link itself works, yes, but the button "Verzenden" (Submit) doesn't do anything in Safari (using OS X here).
I can't test the submit button for obvious reasons.

GPT isn't an alternative to FAT or NTFS

GPT is partitioning format where FAT and NTFS are file systems. A disk can be GPT & NTFS, but a disk cannot be NTFS and FAT.

GPT isn't an alternative to FAT or NTFS

GPT is partitioning format where FAT and NTFS are file systems. A disk can be GPT & NTFS, but a disk cannot be NTFS and FAT.
I'll restate this correctly. Why would anyone format a USB stick as GPT rather than MBR? It makes absolutely no sense to go out of one's way to create a problem where there should be none.

what does the scramble memory bios option do.

Be nice if asus actually explained what the different bios options do. A lot of the time the descriptions give you no clue.

Leave those settings on auto for 24/7 clocking. Enabled is best for most DIMMs - it's to do with the IMC alternating data patterns to reduce peak power draw/noise over the rail. I won't go any deeper into that as starts getting complex to explain how this helps. You get into the realms of needing EE level understanding pretty darn fast - there is a reason why people have to go to uni for several years to understand this stuff.

Back