ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

That is bizarre. Send me your serial number and details of where you got it from please. Its screwed onto the MB with the Thermal Armour, so how you don't have it is completely beyond me.

Please clarify.

-Raja

From time to time, it is not bizarre that I find myself in error! It did indeed have that, and I spaced. Too many motherboards floating through my hands in a day

Thanks for coming back and confirming. You had me contacting all and sundry about this last night! lol

Ordered my Maximus VI Hero from Amazon on Sunday. Order status still says they don't know when it will ship.

I talked to Asus pre-sales about getting an english version of the manual (no dice) and also asked if they knew when the Hero should arrive in the US. He said the latest emails they have say they should arrive and go out to resellers on 6/17. UGH!

So will there be c2 versions of these boards coming out or has the fix been done on the ROG line already?
Just pulled the trigger on a 4770k wondering if I should wait for c2...

If I remember correctly C2 (USB bug fix which isn't much of a deal...) isn't until the fall. You could wait but that CPU is going to be dusty long before that.

Edit...
Fall is my guess given C2 to manufacturers in July which to me means Sept/Oct before we see it/old stock is used up.

Last edited:
I tried to order mine there too but unfortunately they don't ship to Europe. The WS is still not listed anywhere else.

Don't feel bad. I can't find the Supermicro X10SAE anywhere so I can upgrade my server. I got the desktop covered.

Ordered my Maximus VI Hero from Amazon on Sunday. Order status still says they don't know when it will ship.

I talked to Asus pre-sales about getting an english version of the manual (no dice) and also asked if they knew when the Hero should arrive in the US. He said the latest emails they have say they should arrive and go out to resellers on 6/17. UGH!

Amazon notified with an anticipated ship date between 6/28 and 7/9 for my Maximus VI Hero. I'm so bummed! Shame on me for ordering everything else for my Haswell build already, I may not get to try it out until after the 30 day return window has passed.

Raja, do you have any idea when the Maximus 6 Formula will become available for sale? Just curious as I am planning on helping a friend upgrade his system and I've recommended he consider the Formula.

Raja, do you have any idea when the Maximus 6 Formula will become available for sale? Just curious as I am planning on helping a friend upgrade his system and I've recommended he consider the Formula.

We've been told the Maximus VI Formula and Impact won't be hitting stateside until July. Who knows if that's the first week in July or near the end.

Don't feel bad. I can't find the Supermicro X10SAE anywhere so I can upgrade my server. I got the desktop covered.

Yea I think it will take a bit longer, one of the bigger online stores here in Germany called their distributer for me and they don't expect the WS before mid to end of July, probably same timeframe the ROG boards arrive. I might as well wait for the USB fix even though its a non-issue for me.

Raja, you guys should start an own onlineshop on asus.com to sell your stuff :)

Edit: Another question about the WS:

From http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87WS/ :

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Single Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

All other ASUS Z87 boards as well as the WS's predecessor, the Z77 WS, use the normal Dual Channel Memory Architecture. Is this a typo or what exactly is different now with the Z87 WS? Wouldn't single channel result is worse performance?

Last edited:
However much I read, I still can't see any discernable difference between the Z87 deluxe and Pro except the extra LAN port.
What am I missing?

Edit:- Nevermind, the boards are now listed properly on Asus site, so the comparisons work.
Not €70 worth of difference though IMO.

Last edited:
On the Sabertooth z87 - having issues locating the correct driver to boot to RAID.

I'm downloading from the ASUS site the driver:
Code:
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V12.0.0.1083 for Windows 7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver for Windows 7/8 32bit & 64bit.

When I attempt to load it under win 7 setup, it doesn't find anything :(

Any suggestion?

So it is the Z87 Sabertooth you have right?

What about the driver on the support disc?

@Raja

Any update on when we can expect the Maximus VI Hero to land in the US? Last date I heard was 6/17.

You realize that means hooking up an optical drive, right ? :D

It is the z87 Sabertooth

I sort of assumed that it was just available on the website.

@Raja

Any update on when we can expect the Maximus VI Hero to land in the US? Last date I heard was 6/17.

No updates. If that's what you heard then that is what it should be shipment arrival wise. Sometimes there is no way to predict accurately because it's up to the retailer how long it takes them to put the boards on sale after they get a shipment (plus any unforseen delays in the chain before that).

You realize that means hooking up an optical drive, right ? :D

It is the z87 Sabertooth

I sort of assumed that it was just available on the website.

I'd try it for now. Could just be some red tape in the uploading process of drivers or whatever. At least it will get you up an running if the disc has it (which it should).

No updates. If that's what you heard then that is what it should be shipment arrival wise. Sometimes there is no way to predict accurately because it's up to the retailer how long it takes them to put the boards on sale after they get a shipment (plus any unforseen delays in the chain before that).

Fair enough. :) I see Newegg got the Hero and Extreme in so I just ordered from there. Amazon's ship date of 6/28 was worrying me.

Loaded up the disk and I'm getting the same situation.
The proper drivers are both on the disk and in the file downloaded from the ASUS site. Need to point the install to the following folder and then select either the 32bit or 64bit folder:

IRST_RAID_Ein7_8_VER12001083/Driver/Disk

Installed everything into my z87 Deluxe today only to find that the damn thing refuses to recognise my Corsair Force GT. New PC is great and all... but being able to install an OS would be a whole lot better.

Flashed the drives firmware up to the current flavour but no joy. Looks like they need to add the SF-2281 controller to the list of incompatible SSD controllers, that's not even one of the old SATA 2 ones.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a Asus Z87-A motherboard flashed to the latest UEFI BIOS version (1007) and I can successfully boot MS-DOS from a FAT-16 formatted USB stick, both with Auto and Hard Disk setting under Mass Storage Devices: but I cannot boot my GPT hard drive and any USB stick with GTP formatted partitions. Not without selecting Floppy. Then the boot loader loads and fires up, but it cannot (apparently) read from the USB stick/hard drive.

Please note that my Sandy/Ivy Bridge boards have no issues with either USB stick/Hard drive and thus they boot fine, so it looks like some nasty bug in the BIOS.

Also. Under the Boot tab there is a line with: "Secure Boot state" which is always "Enabled" so how do I disable it? I have "OS Type" set to "Other OS" already and use Legacy OPROM for the other settings.

Oh and before I forget. Under the "Ai Tweaker" tab there is this "CPU Graphics Voltage 0.000V [Auto]" line. is that correct? I mean why is it set to 0 Volt?

p.s. Why did they button colour change from blue to black after the BIOS update? Now it looks horrible.

Hi,

I have a Asus Z87-A motherboard flashed to the latest UEFI BIOS version (1007) and I can successfully boot MS-DOS from a FAT-16 formatted USB stick, both with Auto and Hard Disk setting under Mass Storage Devices: but I cannot boot my GPT hard drive and any USB stick with GTP formatted partitions. Not without selecting Floppy. Then the boot loader loads and fires up, but it cannot (apparently) read from the USB stick/hard drive.

Make and model of the drives it won't read from?

Ok now I'm fucking pissed. I run all over town on a Sunday to find a different SSD and finally managed to get my hands on a Samsung 840 120GB (same size so I can just move back over to the Force GT later). I get home hook it up and it detects, I fire up the windows installer and away I got, 5 mins later I restart and bam Bootmgr error. Re-install the OS again and BAM same result.

Hook the drive with the Win 8 install on it up to my z77 machine and it boots just fine. This fucking mobo is horrendous on the drive support front, one manufacturer (Corsair) I can begrudgingly understand, but problems reading boot tables on Samsung drives as well? This is some bullshit right here, I now I have a really sweet looking mega expensive paper weight under my desk until Asus can put together a functional BIOS that works with more than 2 SSD's.

Sounds like something else might be amiss on your side then. Full parts and config list? BOOTmgr erros can occur if the PC is unstable as well. Am wondering if that's what's happening to you. Can't offer much help without a parts list, though. We've used a lot of SSDs with the boards and the only ones with issues thus far are the Intel acknowledged older drives.

Also, what other devices are plugged in? What is being displayed on the screen on reBOOT (no BOOTable device?). What is the BOOT device priority list showing in UEFI? Could also be a BOOT priority issue depending upon what kind of install you chose and what is now at the top of the BOOT priority list.

Last edited:
Make and model of the drives it won't read from?
Good morning to you Raja from a sunny Holland. Here are the drives that refuse to boot with GPT partition(s):

OCZ Agility3 - 60GB
OCZ Vector - 256GB
Western Digital WD3200AAJS
Samsung HD103SJ (2 of them)
Samsung HD103UJ
Maxtor DiamondMax21

Plus five different USB 2.0 memory sticks.

Note: One of the Samsung HD103SJ I have here is now also no longer working. Not on any system anymore. I wish I hadn't used it for testing because all my pictures are on this drive (was my backup drive).

I think that the CSM module is the culprit here since the drives with Ubuntu partitions do boot.

So, is eSATA no longer supported? I didn't look at every board, but I looked at several and didn't see eSATA on any of them. I have an external eSATA drive that I would like to continue to use...

Sounds like something else might be amiss on your side then. Full parts and config list? BOOTmgr erros can occur if the PC is unstable as well. Am wondering if that's what's happening to you. Can't offer much help without a parts list, though. We've used a lot of SSDs with the boards and the only ones with issues thus far are the Intel acknowledged older drives.

Also, what other devices are plugged in? What is being displayed on the screen on reBOOT (no BOOTable device?). What is the BOOT device priority list showing in UEFI? Could also be a BOOT priority issue depending upon what kind of install you chose and what is now at the top of the BOOT priority list.

Ripped the whole SATA setup to pieces a few times with no luck then I had the wild idea of pulling my SSD's out of the hot swap bays in my 800D and hooking them up directly and everything came good.

It seems that simply by having the SSD's hooked up to the hot swap bays (which are essentially just just a Male/Female extension from what I can tell) the whole boot/drive detection on them went haywire. No problems with my spindle drives. You guys should talk to Corsair and see what the go is.

I removed the EFI partition, as a test since I am not using it in legacy boot mode, and then all of the sudden Auto/Hard drive do work. Seems like the CSM module(s) are checking for an EFI partition, no matter if you want to boot in legacy mode or not. That doesn't sound right.

Back