ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Welp, it shutdown again on 2 sticks and 1050. I've gone back to 1015 now just because I'd prefer a non-beta. I've currently removed the fan that had been added and testing. If it happens again, I'll swap the 2 RAM sticks for the other 2. Blah.

Underclock the memory, too. Let's take that out of the equation completely.

-Raja

Raja:
Can you comment on proper installation of the P8Z77-I? The top two ITX mounting holes are occupied by the VRM heatsink mounting screws, so does this mean that the board should only be installed on the bottom two screws? If the pre-installed screws are supposed to be used as part of the mounting process, then what about cases that use nonstandard screw threads, like Lian Li?

Raja:
Can you comment on proper installation of the P8Z77-I? The top two ITX mounting holes are occupied by the VRM heatsink mounting screws, so does this mean that the board should only be installed on the bottom two screws? If the pre-installed screws are supposed to be used as part of the mounting process, then what about cases that use nonstandard screw threads, like Lian Li?

The instruction manuals for the I series are downloadable on the product pages:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-I_DELUXE/E7098_P8Z77-I_DELUXE.pdf

Navigate to 2-34. There are some screws bundled with the board. If you use anything else that is non-standard you will need to ensure that the screws clamp the heatsink flush against the PCB.

-Raja

Bobd, FYI, my BT blue light came back at some point in the past few days and it's on as we speak, with the wifi and BT disabled in BIOS.

Raja, which would you prefer, put in the other 2 sticks of Samsung and underclock it (it's at it's default 1600-11-11-11-2T-1.35v, what would you recommend?) or I've got my old 4x2GB Corsair Dominators (1333 1.5v) that I could put back in for testing. If I go with the Corsair, I'd rather put all 4 in to stay at 8GB.

Hi Raja,

I just noticed that there's a new bios for the WS board now (0703). Can you tell me what exactly is being updated, besides the "EC firmware", whatever that means?

Thanks.

Raja,

Some questions relating to the P8Z77-I Deluxe:

(1) There's a BIOS update on the download page. The zip file contains a CAP file with a long name. I'm writing on my iPhone, can't quote the exact name. The zip file includes PDF's of naming conventions for the CAP file adhering to 8.3 format. None apply to the P8Z77-I Deluxe. Do we update with the CAP file named as is?

(2) Asus Update in the AI Suite finds no BIOS updates. This seeming contradiction to the BIOS update on the download page makes me hesitate to apply that update. What to do?

(3) Wi-Fi GO! in iTunes is version 1.01.02 of May 25th. The text reads, ".... download the latest [windows] version (V1.01.12) from Asus support. It's not there yet. Soon?

Raja, having worked help desk I think you do a remarkable job despite the gross insensitivity exhibited by people like pig porker or whatever he named himself. There's a lot of people here who are on your side. Illegitimi non carborundum.

Harry

Last edited:
Bobd, FYI, my BT blue light came back at some point in the past few days and it's on as we speak, with the wifi and BT disabled in BIOS.

Raja, which would you prefer, put in the other 2 sticks of Samsung and underclock it (it's at it's default 1600-11-11-11-2T-1.35v, what would you recommend?) or I've got my old 4x2GB Corsair Dominators (1333 1.5v) that I could put back in for testing. If I go with the Corsair, I'd rather put all 4 in to stay at 8GB.

Use the Samsung, run it at DDR3-1333. Remove all extraneous USB devices from the system, and if you are using any SSDs update them to the latest FW.

If that does not help, last thing to do is to disable all C-States.

-Raja

Hi Raja,

I just noticed that there's a new bios for the WS board now (0703). Can you tell me what exactly is being updated, besides the "EC firmware", whatever that means?

Thanks.

That's for one/all of the onboard micrcontrollers, so it will be firmware to improve functionality.

-Raja

Raja,

Some questions relating to the P8Z77-I Deluxe:

(1) There's a BIOS update on the download page. The zip file contains a CAP file with a long name. I'm writing on my iPhone, can't quote the exact name. The zip file includes PDF's of naming conventions for the CAP file adhering to 8.3 format. None apply to the P8Z77-I Deluxe. Do we update with the CAP file named as is?

(2) Asus Update in the AI Suite finds no BIOS updates. This seeming contradiction to the BIOS update on the download page makes me hesitate to apply that update. What to do?

(3) Wi-Fi GO! in iTunes is version 1.01.02 of May 25th. The text reads, ".... download the latest [windows] version (V1.01.12) from Asus support. It's not there yet. Soon?

Raja, having worked help desk I think you do a remarkable job despite the gross insensitivity exhibited by people like pig porker or whatever he named himself. There's a lot of people here who are on your side. Illegitimi non carborundum.

Harry

Hi,

1) Use the CAP file. Point EZ Flash 2 to it from UEFI.

2) Use EZ Flash 2 from UEFI to update. The in OS software does not always pickup the updates for whatever reason.

3) Will ask about this on Monday. Drop me a reminder in case I forget.

-Raja

I just don't understand what the heck is wrong with this mobo or ram. I have two G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL kits and originally this mobo (P8ZZ-V) failed to boot when all were installed (memok led glowing). Eventually I got it to boot with the other kit and flashed the newest BIOS. Then in installed all sticks and everything worked. So I though that it fixed it. Worked about two weeks and then I got BSOD and memok led glowing again. If I managed to boot, I got sheitloads of memory errors in memtest. After the first bsod the same thin happened again after one day and I had to use two sticks to get it working again.

For some reason everything seems to work with two sticks and even with four for some period of time before things go bad again. I've been trying manual settings and XMP profile, even boosting voltage a bit. This is so damn random and at times it can run memtest for ages and ages without issues. Is this some kind of BIOS issue or what?

If I test these kits individually, I can't seem to get this unstable.

EDIT:
Actually... I'm not sure if I had XMP on when I used four sticks. Now I do, let's see how long this stability lasts this time.

---
It would be killer feature if it would be possible to adjust fan speed via rpm from BIOS instead of relying on the fan expert 2 tool.
Found the issue. Second kit was faulty.

@Raja,

Is 1015 release bios newer than 1050 beta for the Z77 Sabertooth? Any word on the next official release or betas upcoming?

Thanks. Mine is still on despite having Wifi and BT disabled in the BIOS.

Raja, can you please look into this?

Thanks. Mine is still on despite having Wifi and BT disabled in the BIOS.

Raja, can you please look into this?

List board used, UEFI and driver versions please. Are either of them showing up in Device Manager?

-Raja

@Raja,

Is 1015 release bios newer than 1050 beta for the Z77 Sabertooth? Any word on the next official release or betas upcoming?

1050 beta should be 1015 official as far as I am aware.

I have no firm dates on UEFI releases, but the cycle is generally 4-6 weeks for Sabertooth boards due to qualification periods.

-Raja

List board used, UEFI and driver versions please. Are either of them showing up in Device Manager?

-Raja

I'm using the P8Z77-V Deluxe and the latest BIOS (1015) and drivers. I haven't installed Wifi or Bluetooth drivers - they're not showing up in Device Manager because I have them both disabled in the BIOS.

Hi everyone!
Same problem here as bitgod and macro, motherboard is Asus P8Z77-V.My brand new pc keeps shutting down randomly, in the exact same way bitgod described. UEFI is 0801 (tried 0906 but same issue, so reverted back to 0801).
The machine works perfectly, no overheating (I keep it at stock and have plenty of airflow in the case) or strange behavior, it just shuts down all of a sudden without reason!
It shuts down after running many hours, even when the whole pc is at idle.

I've already checked and tried all the possible and more obvious solutions but to no avail.

Please Asus investigate on the problem, it looks like a not so rare issue!

Last edited:
Problem persists but here are some new developments.

As recommended I went to 1 ram module and promptly got the same result,
a freeze. Installed second ram module, still 1 total, the same.

Here is the fun part:
Ram module 1 installed into slot A = POST
Ram module 2 installed into slot A = POST
2 ram modules installed = no POST, no signs of life, ram LED is red
I was able to run fine with 2 mem modules. Now seems I can’t do even that.

This means bad memory slot?
Cpu issue? Something else going on?

Here is a better description of the original problem + system specs so you don’t
have to look for it.

Every 4-8 hrs I get what seems like a random BSOD.
Its not actually a BSOD but just a system freeze. I have to hit power
to restart. All drivers / SSD FW and UEFI are up to date. Cpu / gpu temps look fine.
System passes 4-6 hrs of Prime95 both small fft + mem.

I7 2700K
P8Z77 V
Noctua NH - D14
2 x 8 gb GSkill ram 8-8-8-24 @ 1600
128 gb Crucial M4 SSD
Sapphire hd 7870 2gb
Seasonic X750 psu
Corsair 550D
Win 7 Home Premium

As always your thoughts and help is much appreciated
Macro

I have a deal breaking issue with my Z77 V Pro..

7283839468_5cbcc251a7.jpg

I have an asus 7970 dcuii, a reference 7970, a PCI-E Soundcard and a PCI tv card.

As shown in the diagram above, the only way I can make this work is if I have my main ASUS DCUII in slot 2, my reference 7970 in slot 1, with the PCI tv card in slot 3, and my PCIE soundcard in the left pcie slot..

The problem is, is when I have my main card in slot 2 (the white pcie slot), I can't get any display from it. However, if I swap it over to the blue slot, I do get display. I have 3 monitors that use Displayport, so I have to use my 3 slot DCUII.

Is it a known bug that I can't get display from the white pcie slot? Seems incredibly silly that display doesn't work at all.

I could go out and get a pcie tv card, but that's $100 that I don't have. Do i go back and get a refund on a non working board?

Will ask HQ for you.

Edit:

VT-d is a no for sure (so no partial VT-x).
Xeon support = yes
ECC support depends if CPU supports it.
-Raja

I thought vt-d was totally a chip issue. is there really something on the board that prevents vt-d from working with a xeon?

I thought vt-d was totally a chip issue. is there really something on the board that prevents vt-d from working with a xeon?

AFAIK it is chipset related (the PCH) and may have some hardware requirements alongside (although that part I am just guessing). Either way, no support and HQ is 100% adamant of that, that's all the info I have and can get.

-Raja

Problem persists but here are some new developments.

As recommended I went to 1 ram module and promptly got the same result,
a freeze. Installed second ram module, still 1 total, the same.

Here is the fun part:
Ram module 1 installed into slot A = POST
Ram module 2 installed into slot A = POST
2 ram modules installed = no POST, no signs of life, ram LED is red
I was able to run fine with 2 mem modules. Now seems I can’t do even that.

This means bad memory slot?
Cpu issue? Something else going on?

Here is a better description of the original problem + system specs so you don’t
have to look for it.

Every 4-8 hrs I get what seems like a random BSOD.
Its not actually a BSOD but just a system freeze. I have to hit power
to restart. All drivers / SSD FW and UEFI are up to date. Cpu / gpu temps look fine.
System passes 4-6 hrs of Prime95 both small fft + mem.

I7 2700K
P8Z77 V
Noctua NH - D14
2 x 8 gb GSkill ram 8-8-8-24 @ 1600
128 gb Crucial M4 SSD
Sapphire hd 7870 2gb
Seasonic X750 psu
Corsair 550D
Win 7 Home Premium

As always your thoughts and help is much appreciated
Macro

Does that memory have an XMP profile for Z77? If it does set it. If it does not, post up JPG images of all DRAM timing pages from UEFI here on the forum and I will tell you what to adjust.

-Raja

Last edited:
I have a deal breaking issue with my Z77 V Pro..

7283839468_5cbcc251a7.jpg

I have an asus 7970 dcuii, a reference 7970, a PCI-E Soundcard and a PCI tv card.

As shown in the diagram above, the only way I can make this work is if I have my main ASUS DCUII in slot 2, my reference 7970 in slot 1, with the PCI tv card in slot 3, and my PCIE soundcard in the left pcie slot..

The problem is, is when I have my main card in slot 2 (the white pcie slot), I can't get any display from it. However, if I swap it over to the blue slot, I do get display. I have 3 monitors that use Displayport, so I have to use my 3 slot DCUII.

Is it a known bug that I can't get display from the white pcie slot? Seems incredibly silly that display doesn't work at all.

I could go out and get a pcie tv card, but that's $100 that I don't have. Do i go back and get a refund on a non working board?

Slot 2 should display out. Does Device Manager see the GPU (DCUII) in that slot at all (if you use the other card output to get to the desktop)? Just wondering how you have the monitors connected up to the cards seems it is defaulting to primary display being on the other card.

-Raja

Last edited:
In my case, sometimes the machine simply shuts off and cannot reboot until I turn off the psu, sometimes it just reboots so when I go back in front of the pc I find it rebooted into Windows.

I can't really figure out what it could be. The ram is set to XMP profile, the cpu is at stock speed, I turned off anti-surge function as suggested elsewhere...

It looks like a power related issue, but I'm quite sure it's not a psu problem by itself...looks more like a motherboard issue in managing the power. Well, I really don't know...

Please Asus help us! Thank you.

In my case, sometimes the machine simply shuts off and cannot reboot until I turn off the psu, sometimes it just reboots so when I go back in front of the pc I find it rebooted into Windows.

I can't really figure out what it could be. The ram is set to XMP profile, the cpu is at stock speed, I turned off anti-surge function as suggested elsewhere...

It looks like a power related issue, but I'm quite sure it's not a psu problem by itself...looks more like a motherboard issue in managing the power. Well, I really don't know...

It's not anti surge at all so you can rule that out.

Stay on one module, and disable C-States in UEFI, lets see if that impacts anything.

Hi Raja

Thx for your time.
Memory profile is set to XMP.
I think at this point I have most obvious things, drivers / BIOS / FW / basic setings, cpu / gpu temps,
well in hand. Tbh, I don't know where to look. This newly found ram POST problem is just something
to top the cake.

As stated above, this probably has something to do with power or something overheating.
Whatever it is, I see no evidence, it heppens in an instant.
Bad memory module / memory slot? Possible. I see evidence of that, no 2 ways about it.
Its very unlikely a PSU or GPU issue ,imho, but then again, I'm way in over my head
on this one.

Thx again
Marco

Might be worth contacting ASUS Support and asking them and seeing if they suggest RMA.

-Raja

Well I had exactly the same problem. Really dont know if it helps for you but I have anti-surge turned off and AI suite sensor readings turned off (I also only use fanexpert2 and nothing else) c3/c6 and package c states turned off but that really helped, it's already 3 days my pc is working 16 hours a day without turning off or randomly rebooting.

update: So dropped ram to 1333, made sure both of my SSDs are up to date. I recalled people still complaining about issues on the Corsair SSD that I was using for caching, so I disabled the SSD caching and unplugged that SSD from the system. System was fine for 2 days, until late last night while idling, it shut off.

I went ahead and disabled the C-states rather than unplug USB things at the moment, that'll be next if need be. I assume this is what you wanted...
oS7Zs.png

Also, regarding the wifi/BT light, I confirmed the BT and wifi is disabled in BIOS, the blue light is currently lit on the module. I did have the BT SW installed at one point, I thought I removed it. Looking in device manager, I do see a listing for a "Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter", so I assume that's SW generated? That and the Intel gigabit NIC are the only Network adapters listed.

Well I had exactly the same problem. Really dont know if it helps for you but I have anti-surge turned off and AI suite sensor readings turned off (I also only use fanexpert2 and nothing else) c3/c6 and package c states turned off but that really helped, it's already 3 days my pc is working 16 hours a day without turning off or randomly rebooting.

Nice to know I'm in good company with this annoying issue :D
Raja said it's not the anti-surge, so I switched it back on. Now I've just turned off C-states. I'll keep my pc on all night long, let's see tomorrow morning if it's still working or not.

Good luck to us! It would be really annoying to have to RMA the board :rolleyes:

AFAIK it is chipset related (the PCH) and may have some hardware requirements alongside (although that part I am just guessing). Either way, no support and HQ is 100% adamant of that, that's all the info I have and can get.

-Raja

thank you for the direct-from-hq info. it is hard to get that from normal tech support. P8C WS will be my daddy.

PS: you are replying to people a-mile-a-minute :)

update: So dropped ram to 1333, made sure both of my SSDs are up to date. I recalled people still complaining about issues on the Corsair SSD that I was using for caching, so I disabled the SSD caching and unplugged that SSD from the system. System was fine for 2 days, until late last night while idling, it shut off.

I went ahead and disabled the C-states rather than unplug USB things at the moment, that'll be next if need be. I assume this is what you wanted...
oS7Zs.png

Also, regarding the wifi/BT light, I confirmed the BT and wifi is disabled in BIOS, the blue light is currently lit on the module. I did have the BT SW installed at one point, I thought I removed it. Looking in device manager, I do see a listing for a "Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter", so I assume that's SW generated? That and the Intel gigabit NIC are the only Network adapters listed.

I have a hunch the Broadcom controller is both WiFi and Bluetooth integrated, in which case it would explain why that LED is on when there is power to the IC. I will check with HQ tomorrow.

Perhaps I should install Fanexpert to see if it helps, at this point couldn't hurt rly.
Tbh I'd feel rly stupid if that turns out to be at the core of the problem.
Unfortunately I have more going on then just random shut off issue.
I'm about rdy to RMA but it would be such a pain. I'll do what I have to, few more days of testing.

Bit, I have installed my old HDD and still got it to shut off. Not SSD for me.

It seems like Sabertooth has the least complaints out of all Z77 boards atm.

Last edited:
24 hours since disabling C-States and yet no shut downs. This gives me hope! :cool:
But, in case the culprit were the C-states, than the next question would be: why?? Raja can you give us any info on what could be wrong with C-states management?

Thank you!

FYI,

C3/C6 on auto gives a bit better performance for my SSDs than having them on enabled. Disabled on both C3/C6 gives overall best SSD performance.

From my own tests, C State Package needs to be on enabled for best SSD performance.

Add me to the list of people who get random BSOD/reboots without any connection to load or temps. Can be Prime stable for hours, but will reboot typing in Word. Also get frequent application crashes. Replaced RAM; problem still exists. PSU voltages are rock solid.

I have been following all of these BIOS tweaks but has not solved the problem. Regardless, should not have to touch anything in the BIOS to get stable performance with no overclocking, etc... I have two days left to send the board back to Amazon; since this does not seem to be an isolated problem with my board, sounds like I might be better off with a different board...

Add me to the list of people who get random BSOD/reboots without any connection to load or temps. Can be Prime stable for hours, but will reboot typing in Word. Also get frequent application crashes. Replaced RAM; problem still exists. PSU voltages are rock solid.

I have been following all of these BIOS tweaks but has not solved the problem. Regardless, should not have to touch anything in the BIOS to get stable performance with no overclocking, etc... I have two days left to send the board back to Amazon; since this does not seem to be an isolated problem with my board, sounds like I might be better off with a different board...

I had the same problem with a gigabyte ud5h board. returned it. still no fix. Som Asrock's have the issue too

24 hours since disabling C-States and yet no shut downs. This gives me hope! :cool:
But, in case the culprit were the C-states, than the next question would be: why?? Raja can you give us any info on what could be wrong with C-states management?

Thank you!

Possibly interaction with an SSD controller low power states (right down to drive firmware) and IRST drivers (if you have them installed). Or, some type of issue with between DRAM and the memory controller during low power modes.

-Raja

Back