ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Hello,

I am currently having a problem with my R5E, It all works last night after, I upgraded to new bios 0801 and run some benchmark & stresstest which no problem was occurred. I shut down the PC and went to bed.

Now this morning. I tried to turn the PC on and during the POST it has a beep then struck at A2 (IDE DETECT phase). So I cannot get to the bios.

The system is in my signature with IBM ps2 keyboard and Generic Microsoft usb mouse.

What I have tried so far is following in order.

- Clear CMOS
- 1 GFX, 1 RAM, 1 HDD everything else was removed
- Mem Okay & ReTry
- Unplug PSU
- Reseated my waterblock
- Switch difference keyboard and mouse
- Remove HDD to see if I will be able to get to bios

I'm suspecting PS2 Keyboard, I will try to find USB keyboard to test it.

Please help, Thanks

Remove the HDD as well and check the GPU is seated correctly.

Hello

The latest UEFI for the X99 Deluxe is 1002. You can download it using the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnVWszck9mME8tZzA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, jkramp - appreciate the link. I just checked the board's support page at ASUS's website and there's now a 1004. :confused: I think I will wait to install it until I hear how it works for other people.

In any case, Raja: can you please verify that I can just go directly to the latest version of the bios from version 409 and that I don't need to upgrade bios sequentially? I assume that's the case, but there's no notification of such on the support page and I'd rather not brick my board if I don't have to. Hope you had a nice vacation!

Thanks, jkramp - appreciate the link. I just checked the board's support page at ASUS's website and there's now a 1004. :confused: I think I will wait to install it until I hear how it works for other people.

In any case, Raja: can you please verify that I can just go directly to the latest version of the bios from version 409 and that I don't need to upgrade bios sequentially? I assume that's the case, but there's no notification of such on the support page and I'd rather not brick my board if I don't have to. Hope you had a nice vacation!
Hello

1004 was made available after I posted the link to 1002 so 1002 is the version you should update to. And yes you can update to 1004 from whatever version you are currently using.

Hello

1004 was made available after I posted the link to 1002 so 1002 is the version you should update to. And yes you can update to 1004 from whatever version you are currently using.

Thanks, jkramp! Appreciate the confirmation!

latest BIOS does not fixed any problem on my 5930K.
cache ratio stills locked at 3GHz when on 125 strap.

This is a question for Raja@ASUS:

BIOS 0801, RVE. Settings (but it doesn't really matter what settings I think, same behaviour on any):
5960X, G.Skill 3000 C15 (4x4), MSI 780Ti GOP BIOS, XMP 125 x33, cache x24, CPU volt. 1.2V.

When just set up, the system boots normally to Win 8.1 update 2014 and works flawlessly while in Windows. A restart from working Windows also works fine, the system cycles back to Windows in 4 seconds (UEFI install and boot).

BUT, the problem is:
- shutdown. After shutdown, system hangs at boot.
- sleep. System does not boot from sleep.

if you wake it up from sleep only a few sec after sleep, the system sometimes blue screens, but as with shutdown usually just hangs and needs several power cycles to reset and get to BIOS.

Any idea?

What are your full specs?

--ASUS X99 Deluxe board 1004 BIOS (as of today 0904 when I wrote the first post)
--Intel 5930K CPU @ 4GHz
--32GB (4x8GB) Crucial 2133MHz RAM (stock speed)
--Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 boot and applications drive
--Samsung 840 Pro 512GB instrument samples drive
--Seagate 600 240GB drum samples drive
--Seagate 2TB SSHD data drive
--WD Black 1.5TB backup drive
--Gigabyte 4GD GTX980 for graphics (stock speed)
--eVGA GTX 580 for PhysX
--Auzentech HTHD for game sound
--Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 for pro sound

That's all the hardware that ought to be relevant. I'm running Windows 8.1 Update 1, fully patched. DPC latency seems fine. Latencymon reports the system as being good for realtime audio. Cakewalk Sonar doesn't have any issues with pops or dropouts or anything when playing back a bunch of samples.

BIOS 0801, RVE. Settings (but it doesn't really matter what settings I think, same behaviour on any):
5960X, G.Skill 3000 C15 (4x4), MSI 780Ti GOP BIOS, XMP 125 x33, cache x24, CPU volt. 1.2V.

When just set up, the system boots normally to Win 8.1 update 2014 and works flawlessly while in Windows. A restart from working Windows also works fine, the system cycles back to Windows in 4 seconds (UEFI install and boot).

BUT, the problem is:

if you wake it up from sleep only a few sec after sleep, the system sometimes blue screens, but as with shutdown usually just hangs and needs several power cycles to reset and get to BIOS.

Any idea?

Do you use ps2?

I'm having problems with the mouse cursor freezing temporarily or stopping completely. This seemed to happen most frequently when hovering over the close/minimize buttons on Google Chrome. However it has happened also when I am exiting full-screen games. After it freezes I will have to unplug/replug the USB cable for the mouse, and then it resumes movement.

I seemed to have worked around the issue by using the USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard instead of the USB 3.0 ports. I have tried all the different ports (3.0) and tested with a different brand mouse (they both had the problem). Not sure if it helps, but I am using a Steel Series Rival wired mouse, but also a Sharkk brand one was the same.

BUT, the problem is:

Any idea?

This is a common problem, your CPU memory controller is not able to handle 3GHz on RAM with the system agent voltage you give.
Try to increase the system agent a little, if this does not help increase the vcore of +0.010.
If this not help, the definitive solution is to lower the RAM frequency to 2800MHz.

On my 5930K I need to feed the memory controller with 1.250V to boot at 3055MHz using 125strap.
On 100 strap there is no way to boot at 3000MHz, I can boot at 2800MHz but sometimes it hangs on cold/warm boot, so I choosed 3055MHz on 125 strap with system agent at 1.250V.

This is the problems that I see on my X99 Deluxe 1004 on a 5930K:

1) Vengeance LPX 2800MHz 1.2V can't boot at 2800MHz 1.2V or 1.35V on strap 100 without getting bd or jdhsakldj errors on warm reboot. No matter the vcore or system agent I use.
2) Cache ratio stop working on 125 strap. When using 125 strap, cache is locked at 3GHz all the time, no matter the cache ratio I select in bios. If this is the feature that OC socket brings I prefer the standard version.
3) CPU not throttle on default settings, mobo shutdown the system when 95c is reached.
4) Asus is known to require more vcore than other motherboards to get it stable (see anandtech reviews x99 roundup), I need 1.3V to get 4.2GHz stable.
5) Sometimes some USB does not work and needs a reboot to get it working
6) EZ Update is an unuseful software, it doesn't work at all. It continue to say me that there is a bios update 1.0.0 while I'm on 1004
7) No way to not use AiSuite. My Corsair SP120 fans are powerful fans and they are very quite if used under 1000rpm, very good when in idle or surfing the internet.
Without AiSuite there is no way to use this fans under 1500RPM because bios don't let me lower the RPM enough. When using Linux I have no AiSuite and my PC is too loud.
8) I don't like the way Asus release BIOS. They release BETA bios on forums and if all is ok, they release that BIOS on the official site. We aren't your QA team. We are the customers who pay for your products.
9) ErP power saving does not work on my PC. I have a Corsair AX860i with all ErP supports but it doesn't work on my PC. Ethernet cards and USB remains active when the PC is off. (I have tried ERP S4+S5 on BIOS and S5 too)
10) A SLI motherboard that don't bundle a two way SLI bridge is ridiculous. X99 Deluxe comes with tri way bridge only, should I pay 5€ more for a two way bridge?
11) X99 Deluxe do not include a beeper, have you ever heard the BEEP that all mobos do after the POST? Should I pay 5€ more for a beeper?
12) I have AiSuite installed, my Nexus 5 isn't charged at 1A but at a standard 500mAh, where is the USB Charger+?
13) Adaptive does not work on 125 strap, why I can set adaptive if I enable 125 strap?

Users with 5960X does not experience some of the problems I saied.

This is a common problem, your CPU memory controller is not able to handle 3GHz on RAM with the system agent voltage you give.
Try to increase the system agent a little, if this does not help increase the vcore of +0.010.
If this not help, the definitive solution is to lower the RAM frequency to 2800MHz.

On my 5930K I need to feed the memory controller with 1.250V to boot at 3055MHz using 125strap.
On 100 strap there is no way to boot at 3000MHz, I can boot at 2800MHz but sometimes it hangs on cold/warm boot, so I choosed 3055MHz on 125 strap with system agent at 1.250V.

Strange is this morning I've cold booted in 3 seconds to desktop with zero problems. XMP 3000, 125 x 34, cache x24.

Strange is this morning I've cold booted in 3 seconds to desktop with zero problems. XMP 3000, 125 x 34, cache x24.

125 strap can cold/warm boot much more easily than 100 strap.
Anyway a successfully cold boot does not guarantee every cold/warm boot.

This is the problems that I see on my X99 Deluxe 1004 on a 5930K:

1) Vengeance LPX 2800MHz 1.2V can't boot at 2800MHz 1.2V or 1.35V on strap 100 without getting bd or jdhsakldj errors on warm reboot. No matter the vcore or system agent I use.
2) Cache ratio stop working on 125 strap. When using 125 strap, cache is locked at 3GHz all the time, no matter the cache ratio I select in bios. If this is the feature that OC socket brings I prefer the standard version.
3) CPU not throttle on default settings, mobo shutdown the system when 95c is reached.
4) Asus is known to require more vcore than other motherboards to get it stable (see anandtech reviews x99 roundup), I need 1.3V to get 4.2GHz stable.
5) Sometimes some USB does not work and needs a reboot to get it working
6) EZ Update is an unuseful software, it doesn't work at all. It continue to say me that there is a bios update 1.0.0 while I'm on 1004
7) No way to not use AiSuite. My Corsair SP120 fans are powerful fans and they are very quite if used under 1000rpm, very good when in idle or surfing the internet.
Without AiSuite there is no way to use this fans under 1500RPM because bios don't let me lower the RPM enough. When using Linux I have no AiSuite and my PC is too loud.
8) I don't like the way Asus release BIOS. They release BETA bios on forums and if all is ok, they release that BIOS on the official site. We aren't your QA team. We are the customers who pay for your products.
9) ErP power saving does not work on my PC. I have a Corsair AX860i with all ErP supports but it doesn't work on my PC. Ethernet cards and USB remains active when the PC is off. (I have tried ERP S4+S5 on BIOS and S5 too)
10) A SLI motherboard that don't bundle a two way SLI bridge is ridiculous. X99 Deluxe comes with tri way bridge only, should I pay 5€ more for a two way bridge?
11) X99 Deluxe do not include a beeper, have you ever heard the BEEP that all mobos do after the POST? Should I pay 5€ more for a beeper?
12) I have AiSuite installed, my Nexus 5 isn't charged at 1A but at a standard 500mAh, where is the USB Charger+?
13) Adaptive does not work on 125 strap, why I can set adaptive if I enable 125 strap?

Users with 5960X does not experience some of the problems I saied.

to the list of bugs I add point 14
14) Adaptive cache voltage does not work neither on 100 or 125 strap?

How much is enough for agent increase? Default seems to be 0.8xx.

You can push the system agent easily to 1.250V.
Start with a offset of +0.15V and increase it in step of +0.05V until you get a maximum offset of +0.35V.
With the maximum offset your system agent is at 1.250V. 1.250V is safe since it is the default auto settings for XMP 2800MHz.

You can push the system agent easily to 1.250V.
Start with a offset of +0.15V and increase it in step of +0.05V until you get a maximum offset of +0.35V.
With the maximum offset your system agent is at 1.250V. 1.250V is safe since it is the default auto settings for XMP 2800MHz.

Hmm, my XMP did not change that I think. RVE says 0.8xx as default for 3000 memory. That is pretty much undervolted then I guess? If 2800 requires 1.25V.

From my understanding VCCIO voltage is the mem. controller and VCCSA is the "system agent", whatever that is... North bridge maybe?

Is there a set of guides for what is what in this mess of available options? It would greatly help if there was some kind of list of ranges for different voltages and frequencies, also including descriptions of what is what with purpose designations. I see people clock 5960X to 5GHz with 1.[3-4]V core and 100 BLCK, which is kinda fun. Why not 125 then? (on AIO).

As a CS engineer, I'm pretty much interested into understanding all of that.

Hmm, my XMP did not change that I think. RVE says 0.8xx as default for 3000 memory. That is pretty much undervolted then I guess? If 2800 requires 1.25V.

From my understanding VCCIO voltage is the mem. controller and VCCSA is the "system agent", whatever that is... North bridge maybe?

Is there a set of guides for what is what in this mess of available options? It would greatly help if there was some kind of list of ranges for different voltages and frequencies, also including descriptions of what is what with purpose designations. I see people clock 5960X to 5GHz with 1.[3-4]V core and 100 BLCK, which is kinda fun. Why not 125 then? (on AIO).

As a CS engineer, I'm pretty much interested into understanding all of that.

Auto settings does not change the system agent at all when on 100 strap.
On 125 strap the auto setting set the system agent to 1.25V.

This setting must be change mostly for RAM OC when there is problem in boot at high frequency.

VCSSA = Voltage (of the) Connected Collector (for) System Agent = "old" northbridge
On haswell system agent give the powers to the integrated memory controller and PCIe.

Tension of the connections between this parts are given by VRIN.

My Z87 died yesterday after doing a good job every day for over a year. Despite that happening I wanted to upgrade to X99 anyway as my daily work benefits from the additional cores and features.

I always used the WS line boards in the past so naturally I wanted to go for the X99-E WS and a 5930K. I don't care much about Overclocking, I would probably apply not more than an extra 200-300Mhz.

The X99-E WS is out of stock everywhere here and most retailers I contacted said maybe not until end of November, which is too long to wait for.

My second option would be the Rampage V Extreme, it has a lot of features I don't need but I guess I can just disable them.

I want a high quality board for 24/7 usage, is the RVE suitable for that in the same way the WS board is?

Kind regards

Last edited:
My Z87 died yesterday after doing a good job every day for over a year. Despite that happening I wanted to upgrade to X99 anyway as my daily work benefits from the additional cores and features.

I always used the WS line boards in the past so naturally I wanted to go for the X99-E WS and a 5930K. I don't care much about Overclocking, I would probably apply not more than an extra 200-300Mhz.

The X99-E WS is out of stock everywhere here and most retailers I contacted said maybe not until end of November, which is too long to wait for.

My second option would be the Rampage V Extreme, it has a lot of features I don't need but I guess I can just disable them.

I want a high quality board for 24/7 usage, is the RVE suitable for that in the same way the WS board is?

Kind regards

dead and good job for a year does not meet each other.

I'm responsible for what happened, the board would've been fine for another year or longer. But thats not the topic here.

ok than.
I never understood the reason why choose a WS if you don't need the additional connectivity.
X99 Deluxe is a much supported motherboards in terms of updates and it has tons of bugs on 5930K.

Good luck with WS on their young bios.

Auto settings does not change the system agent at all when on 100 strap.
On 125 strap the auto setting set the system agent to 1.25V.

This setting must be change mostly for RAM OC when there is problem in boot at high frequency.

VCSSA = Voltage (of the) Connected Collector (for) System Agent = "old" northbridge
On haswell system agent give the powers to the integrated memory controller and PCIe.

Tension of the connections between this parts are given by VRIN.

After a full reset of BIOS settings and application of XMP for 3000, my sys. agent is 0.852V.

Would I see any degradation of performance or stability with 8 dimms? I've read newer platforms don't mind, but I'm not sure. (planning to add a second 4x4 pack). Judging by VCSSA so far it could be a nightmare to adjust two different packs (same manufacturer and model tho).

Last edited:
Any X99 Deluxe owners here? If so, how hot do the passively-cooled chipset and mosfet components get? If you had a WC loop, on a scale from 1 to 10, how much would you want to add them to your WC loop?

Testing my X99 Deluxe right now. Right now typing this they're at 44C in my 800D aircooled. I purchased the EK-X99 block as I've planned on using it regardless as it's actually easier for me to integrate it into my current loop rather than leave them stock cooled.

Any X99 Deluxe owners here? If so, how hot do the passively-cooled chipset and mosfet components get? If you had a WC loop, on a scale from 1 to 10, how much would you want to add them to your WC loop?

no need to add them in a loop for a 24/7 overclock with water.
cooling VRM and chipset could be useful on LN2 where voltages are more aggressive, but with a water OC, there is no need to cool them with water. IMHO.

^This. You simply don't need to water cool these motherboards.

Hrm, I remember somebody saying that ASUS was recommending people cool their VRMs on overclocks beyond 4GHz. Just a rumour?

Last edited:
Hrm, I remember somebody saying that ASUS was recommending people cool their VRMs on overclocks beyond 4GHz. Just a rumour?

there are documents written by asus reps that says so.
I would say that if this is true I don't want an asus anymore.

Hello

Active cooling is recommended when running full load stress tests past 4GHz with a 5960X because of the current draw these CPUs are capable of.

Should I select the Optimized phase and the active frequency mode ON?
As far as I understood with the optimized phase the mobo shutdown some VRM while in idle or in light load, this can cause instability during OC. Am I wrong?

What about frequency mode? What it does?

Looking to do a safe and light overclock on air on the ASUS X99-A motherboard. For cooling I'm using the Noctua NH-D15. I'm not looking to break any overclock records so I want to overclock using the multiplier only. No BCLK or ram overclocking.

1) What's the highest overclock I can get using ONLY the multiplier on air?

2) What's the highest voltage I can use overclocking on air?

3) Will overclocking using the multiplier affect Turbo Boost?

4) Any other advice or guides to do a light overclock using the multiplier only?

Looking to do a safe and light overclock on air on the ASUS X99-A motherboard. For cooling I'm using the Noctua NH-D15. I'm not looking to break any overclock records so I want to overclock using the multiplier only. No BCLK or ram overclocking.

1) What's the highest overclock I can get using ONLY the multiplier on air?

2) What's the highest voltage I can use overclocking on air?

3) Will overclocking using the multiplier affect Turbo Boost?

4) Any other advice or guides to do a light overclock using the multiplier only?

If you overclock the system gradually and monitor temps all of your questions will be answered. Best way really as the temps of your system will depend on airflow and ambient temps. Each CPU is different with regards to how well it will OC at a given voltage, so experiment gradually increasing the multiplier in steps of 1 and checking the voltage required and temps at each step.

As Praz said. The (8 core 16 thread) 5960X CPUs pull a lot of current when fully loaded over 4GHz. No matter how good a heatsink is, if airflow around it is poor it wont disspate heat well. With over 250W going through the heatsink array and rising ambient temps in a PC case, I recommend users actively cool the sink when running full load stress tests on the 5960X.

No rumor, no mysticism, just common sense.

Raja@ASUS - Thanks for the reply! Couple of quick questions for you.

1) Will overclocking using just the multiplier affect the turbo boost?

2) What programs do you recommend to test the overclock? Also, for how long should I test with each program?

By the way, I'm using the 5930k and only plan a light overclock. Thanks again for your help!

Back