Asus VG278H is coming soon!!!!

Nah, that was response time they were talking about. It was a weird review that, gave it 10 out of 10 for gaming but didn't mention input lag at all :S

Input lag is only something to worry about on monitors with scalers

Ah right, I have to stress it's just my opinion of course, you might see it and be bowled over :D The technology is still nowhere near ready, I reckon.

3D vision blog up now

http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-27-inch-asus-vg278h-3d-vision-ready-lcd-monitor/

although the VG278H is not totally lag free, the input lag at the default factory settings is very low… something very close to 0 milliseconds and less than 5 ms for sure.

sounds worryingly vague but he does use the phrase "the level of input lag I was able to measure" so hopefully he's tested it properly rather than just feeling for it. That's good enough for me, I can handle 5ms for certain.

I'm not sure how to interpret this review. It seems like he was a little less technical with the lag measurement but what he did measure seems quite good (less than 5ms), I think there's only a few 120hz displays that are better than 5ms input lag. The backlight uniformity also looks great and I'm not sure how much of the review was focused on ghosting vs cross-talk but in the pics I don't see ghosting so this seems like a great result yet the review wasn't too enthusiastic and it also didn't compare to the Samsung 27. All in all a pretty short review considering the interest in this monitor and considering he had it for a week.

I'm probably leaning towards a 24" right now.

Using mine right now (winner at GeforceLan). It is a very quick monitor, and the colors are simply astounding for a TN Panel. I couldn't really care less about the 3D side of it but the 120hz is amazing how much better it feels to game on than my old dell 2405fpw.

Using mine right now (winner at GeforceLan). It is a very quick monitor, and the colors are simply astounding for a TN Panel. I couldn't really care less about the 3D side of it but the 120hz is amazing how much better it feels to game on than my old dell 2405fpw.
What's your opinion of the 27" size vs. 24" for competitive FPS?

What's your opinion of the 27" size vs. 24" for competitive FPS?

Going by just the size alone they quite a bit different, I still think 24 is the sweet spot for a LAN monitor. The 27 is kind of overwhelming if you aren't used to it, and the 1920x1080 would be a huge let down for this monitor if it wasn't for the 120hz.

I'll do a small review of it tomorrow, and get some pics and such up of it next to the dell and such, with some stuff around them for reference and scale.

Going by just the size alone they quite a bit different, I still think 24 is the sweet spot for a LAN monitor. The 27 is kind of overwhelming if you aren't used to it, and the 1920x1080 would be a huge let down for this monitor if it wasn't for the 120hz.

I'll do a small review of it tomorrow, and get some pics and such up of it next to the dell and such, with some stuff around them for reference and scale.
Good deal, post it here or link to it here when it's done plz.

Background:
First off, let me be completely honest here in that I am in no way a professional reviewer. I don't have a lot of experience testing monitors and to show my familiarity with the industry you need to understand that my previous primary monitor was a Dell 2405FPW. If you know anything about Dell's naming processes you would know that this monitor came out in the year 2005 and I have been using this monitor ever since then. The 2405FPW uses a PVA panel that even in 2005 was considered a bit slow on the response time but it never bothered me because I'm not what you call a professional gamer, my gaming time consists mostly of WoW, LoL, and BF3, and I am sufficiently terrible at all three.

I work in the Commercial Lighting industry so I know my way around foot-candle, Lumen and color rendering pretty well, and I will post some readings for fun comparisons.

~MONITOR ADDENDUM~
GeForce Lan was a completely off the hook experience, and they gave away 54 of these Asus Monitors, but as a small detriment they actually gave us the monitors they had on the floor in the BF3 tournament displays, these have been on a boat at GeForceLan and then the next weekend at BlizzCon. So they are a bit used, a bit scuffed on the bezel, but otherwise unharmed.
~MONITOR ADDENDUM~
What's in the Box:
The monitor comes partially protected by the typical styrofoam 2/3 box, top third is protected, bottom third is protected, middle seems mildly unprotected but it seemed to do the trick. I can definitely say it did its job protecting the screen which is all that really matters.
Obviously comes with the monitor. Also included is a 1 DVI-dual link, 1 VGA cable, 1 Audio pass-through cable, power cable and stand.
Aesthetics:
The glorious matte finish screen is enshrouded in a glossy bezel that is 3/4'' on top and sides, and 1" on the bottom. The buttons are accessible on the bottom of the bezel with a very unobtrusive power light that shines downward. EVERY LIGHT on EVERY MONITOR should be faced this way as who wants a light shining at them.
The stand raises and lowers, rotates on the x-axis, and offers tilt from 90* to about 105* down to probably about 80*.

Color Rendering:
The default color gamut is a little on the cold side, I haven't had the time to adjust the monitor to the spectrum of colors that I enjoy (which is a little on the warmer side). Games look great in the colder spectrum but watching a few movies on it makes some of the flesh tones in some scenes seem a little bit odd. Like I said once I adjust the colors to what I like it won't be an issue.
The nice thing is that the monitor has a bunch of presets that you can set to different modes should you want different backlight, color and contrast levels. I'm not much of one to bother with that as I think that colors should be the same regardless of what you are doing (red is red...know what I mean?).
This thing is BRIGHT. Baseline followed by new monitor followed by old dell. All with backlights at about 20%.

Response Time:
This monitor is fast, I'm not sure it's the fastest I have ever used but it definitely puts my old dell to shame. Using the Lagom tests that I took a picture of, the dell is a good 30ms behind the Asus, I never really noticed how slow the Dell was until I used this monitor. I set the dell to clone the Asus and ran the latency test and as can be plainly seen the dell is quite a bit behind the Asus. The numbers on the right show that the dell is about 1.5-2fps behind.

120Hz:
I can tell you that I thought 120Hz was just a selling ploy/scam but let me tell you, now that I have used 120hz for gaming I don't think I could ever go back. The funny thing is that it isn't necessarily the fluidity that gets me, it's the not having to EVER use V-sync again. I mean the reason we use V-sync is to prevent tearing, but if you aren't putting out more than 120fps you can't really cause tearing on a 120hz monitor, unlike a 60hz monitor that is really pretty easy even on demanding titles to hit times where you put out more than 60fps.
3D Quality:
I only used it for a bit, but it definitely works well, and looks pretty good for certain games and movies. The IR emitter is built into the top of the monitor and you can tilt it a little bit depending on how you have your monitors setup on your desk. My monitor is a little bit raised above the work surface so I have mine tilted down to compensate. I'm not actually a big proponent of 3D as a technology so I wouldn't really choose this monitor with my own money based solely on that, but the 120hz definitely is a nice bonus.

TLDR lulz 874 words for the win in a forum post.

P.P.S. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

120Hz:
I can tell you that I thought 120Hz was just a selling ploy/scam but let me tell you, now that I have used 120hz for gaming I don't think I could ever go back. The funny thing is that it isn't necessarily the fluidity that gets me, it's the not having to EVER use V-sync again. I mean the reason we use V-sync is to prevent tearing, but if you aren't putting out more than 120fps you can't really cause tearing on a 120hz monitor, unlike a 60hz monitor that is really pretty easy even on demanding titles to hit times where you put out more than 60fps.
Could you elaborate on what was so bad about turning V-sync on? I was thinking the fluidity is what would be the benefit to gamers. Tripple buffering + vsync in BF3 is pretty awesome so if the major benefit to a 120hz is just turning off v-sync, i'm not sure what the big draw is.

nice review.

Gamers don't turn on vsync as it introduces massive amounts of input lag, even at 120hz.

You still get tearing on a 120hz monitor but it's so minimal that you won't mind or notice it unless you're really really looking for it, use dxtory to limit your framerate universally to something like 117, make sure you never go over 120 and you're good to go.
This is also a good idea as some games stupidly cap their framerate at 120fps, 120fps+120hz + no vsync = horrific tearing. Not as bad as 60hz/60fps/no vsync but it's pretty bad.

Vsync does not introduce massive amounts of input lag and real gamers turn Vsync on because only real gamers notice screen tearing and do not like inconsistent uncapped frame rates which often result in huge FPS drops when running games over 120fps.

Vsync does not introduce massive amounts of input lag and real gamers turn Vsync on because only real gamers notice screen tearing and do not like inconsistent uncapped frame rates which often result in huge FPS drops when running games over 120fps.

What about leaving it off if your not quite getting 120fps. Is there any reason to turn it on when you run a bit less than 120fps on a 120hz monitor?

Leaving it off is fine as long as there is no screen tearing, which drives me nuts. For example Mass Effect 2 caps the frame rate @62fps, so I turn Vsync off while in Battlefield 3 there is tearing unless Vsync is on, despite the fact that I only get 80-90fps. Vsync is mandatory for most Valve games since they can go well over 200fps on modern PCs=screen tearing nightmare.

Nah, it does introduce massive amounts of input lag, you can say that you don't notice it, you can say that you don't mind it, but to say that it doesn't exist is just plain wrong.

There are a few gamers who, at 60hz, can't stand any amount of tearing and prefer to adjust to the higher input lag rather than turning off vsync.
personally, at 60hz, I would take slight tearing over input lag any day of the week. Having vsync on, even at 120hz, totally throws my aim, makes me feel like I'm drunk or underwater, it's like you're on a satellite delay.
Playing any competative multiplayer shooter with vsync will put you at a massive disadvantage.

I'm very sensitive to input lag. My monitor died a few months ago and I went through 5 different monitors, sending them back, before I found one that didn't feel floaty (w2363d, 0ms lag, absolute bliss, though a bit on the small side)

At 120hz, it's a moot point of course, you get the best of both worlds (so long as you leave vsync off).

Last edited:
What about leaving it off if your not quite getting 120fps. Is there any reason to turn it on when you run a bit less than 120fps on a 120hz monitor?

Leave vsync off, always, unless you're playing something like a football game or a driving game with a pad and you're getting a constant 120fps.
Use dxtory to limit your framerate universally to around 117 to make sure it's under 120fps. You will still get tearing but I'll give you 50 quid if you can notice it without pressing your nose hard against the screen and throwing your mouse around back and forth :D
Of course don't limit your framerate with dxtory for games where you're using vsync :D

For me with BF3, I notice a LOT less tearing with my new 120hz monitor. I had both 60 and 120 hooked up and switched between them and its very noticeable on the 60hz.

Just always looking to get the best out of my setup so was curious if I should turn VSYNC on but have heard a lot of reports about input lag, in fact that seems to be the biggest result when I look online.

I currently have 3 of the 25" ASUS 60hz screens.

I would like to replace my center screen with one of these to allow me to do 120hz on a single screen or 60hz on 3 screens with NV Surround.

Supposedly it should work as long as the "sync polarity" is the same - do you have any way to see if you can make that screen work with NV Surround with a 60hz screen?

I think it's possible to do NV Surround on 2 screens so I am wondering: if you don't have a full setup, would you be able to try it with this screen running at 60hz with another 60hz screen?

Especially if you have another ASUS screen, but even if you try it with the Dell - I am extremely curious if this has a chance to work.

Thanks

I just tried it with WoW and it certainly is possible, but it introduced some interesting ui lag when i spanned it across, it basically made the 120hz feel sluggish like the 60hz. I didn't try it when running the asus at 60hz.

I just tried it with WoW and it certainly is possible, but it introduced some interesting ui lag when i spanned it across, it basically made the 120hz feel sluggish like the 60hz. I didn't try it when running the asus at 60hz.

Thanks!

Did you actually put your system into NV Surround mode or just run the game windowed or something?

Sorry, I don't play WoW but my impression is that there are several ways to make it run on multiple screens that don't necessarily use NV Surround mode.

Hey, for anyone that doesn't know you can force triple buffering VSYNC with D3Doverrider (it installs with RivaTuner). This will give you vsync with no noticeable input lag. I can't believe all enthusiasts aren't using it.

I am interested in this monitor, but I don't know enough about 3d, so if anyone is still perusing this thread can you answer a few questions please?

Will this monitor (Asus VG278H) do 3d with an ATI/AMD graphics card? Right now I have a GTX580 but would like to be able to switch if needed.

Also, will this monitor do 3D from my Playstation 3?

The one review I read said this monitor does not support side by side and top to bottom 3d, what the heck is that?

thanks

Will this monitor (Asus VG278H) do 3d with an ATI/AMD graphics card? Right now I have a GTX580 but would like to be able to switch if needed.

thanks

AFAIK I don't think so. But someone might establish a work around.

Will this monitor (Asus VG278H) do 3d with an ATI/AMD graphics card? Right now I have a GTX580 but would like to be able to switch if needed. Also said:
I doubt that AMD 3D will work because AFAIK AMD cards don't do 3d over dual-link DVI.

Playstation 3 will work with this monitor.

Side by side and top/bottom are two methods of doing 3d (at half horizontal or vertical resolution). If you are gonna use Nvidia 3d vision and a playstation 3, it's not something you need to worry about.

Google shopper is showing that a few e-tailers have these in stock. Mine has yet to ship from amazon, though. Hopefully it ships out today or next week. The wait has been agonizing, I've literally have been waiting on this sucker since it was first announced at CeBit.

How is Amazon return policy on monitors as far as dead pixels, blacklight bleed, restocking charge and who pays for shipping the defective monitor back?

Moses

How is Amazon return policy on monitors as far as dead pixels, blacklight bleed, restocking charge and who pays for shipping the defective monitor back?

Moses

They are excellent. I ordered a S27A950 and the whole monitor actually sagged a bit on the left hand side, I asked for a replacement, they shipped it next day air and they gave me a label to return the other. I think they did next day air because that's how I ordered my first one. Gotta love Amazon prime and 3.99 next day shipping.

It's all automated online all you would have to do it put that its defective and you will get a replacement and then have 30 days to send the other one back.

Google shopper is showing that a few e-tailers have these in stock. Mine has yet to ship from amazon, though. Hopefully it ships out today or next week. The wait has been agonizing, I've literally have been waiting on this sucker since it was first announced at CeBit.

Same here pre ordered first day it was available looking forward to this monitor wife was nice enough to get it for me as an early gift, this will be replacing my 27 hannspree which served me well for the past 4 years :). I will post here when it ships.

Last edited:
if i get this LCD, could i sell the 3d kit for it to cover some of the cost. I mean is there even a market for it?

Last edited:
Back