ASUS Undercuts MS Surface with $549 VivoTab RT

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
ASUS is showing Microsoft that it can play hardball in the tablet wars by undercutting the price on its VivoTab RT tablet, dropping the initial price by $50 and sweetening the pot with a free docking station available through the end of the year.

The VivoTab further distinguishes itself with its 8MP rear camera (as opposed to the primary 5MP camera on the Surface) and an additional 7 hours of rated battery life via its docking station.

Can we call them something other than docking stations? Ever since I was educated on it's other meaning it has needed to be replaced with less...saturated word.

Anyway, I wonder if Netbooks or Tablets will last longer..?

That's... not hardball.

Hardball would actually be getting competitive with http://play.google.com/nexus

As of right now? The Windows 8 tablets simply are not competitive with any Android Tablet. Even the Ipad's can now be described as "Reasonably Priced" when compared to Microsoft.

So, let me be clear: If you want a tablet, and you bought a Microsoft Surface: You are an Idiot who Has No Business buying Computer Parts.

That's... not hardball.

Hardball would actually be getting competitive with http://play.google.com/nexus

As of right now? The Windows 8 tablets simply are not competitive with any Android Tablet. Even the Ipad's can now be described as "Reasonably Priced" when compared to Microsoft.

So, let me be clear: If you want a tablet, and you bought a Microsoft Surface: You are an Idiot who Has No Business buying Computer Parts.

Agreed. It's one thing to pay more for the eventual Surface Pro or other Windows 8 hybrids that utilize Win8 Pro and Core-i5/i7 CPUs. Those are REAL computers that have tablet functionality (IE, what Win8 was seemingly designed for). Windows 8 RT is a bastard child that uses ARM, is overpriced, and doesn't fit into the WP8 ecosystem (as Android tablets and the iPad due relative to their smartphone counterparts). It also doesn't fit fully into the Windows 8 ecosystem as it's not x86 and needs applications designed specifically for it.

Apple is running two ecosystems in OS X and iOS. Google is running two ecosystems in Android and Chrome OS with eventual plans to merge. Microsoft now has to run three ecosystems with minor linking between the two.

Come on, guy. Imagine where Apple would be if it entertained such thoughts seriously?...;) The market is *saturated* with so-called "idiots" who only buy their electronics based on what they look like on the outside...;) I'm sure you know that.

Personally, I think the whole tablet form-factor thing is a fad and will be eventually completely usurped and engulfed by notebook form factors--mainly because the novelty of touch begins to wear thin when pixel-precise work is required, cleaning the monitor becomes an unwelcome chore, and no one's ever invented a keyless typewriter that sold very well--eg, typing on a flat surface with no keys or feedback gets old, quickly, for those who have to type anything more than one-word-to-one-line emails...;)

And if you don't own and/or use a surface for an extended period of time, you have no business commenting on them. Typical tripe from the ignorant claiming to be educated. The surface, for my uses, blows both android and apple out of the water.

I'm still torn between the RT and 8 Pro variants, but given that I'm looking for a tablet primarily for remote desktop access and to use for writing, I'm starting to lean to the RT. I can't seem to find any mention of Office 13 RT being included on this tablet, though.

However, I really want to see whatever became of the prototype tablet from Samsung and Asus that ran both RT and Android in a dual boot...that would be a definite buy for me.

The surface, for my uses, blows both android and apple out of the water.

Agreed - my work involves drafting and reviewing lots of legal documents. RT comes with Word, not an app that converts Word, but real deal Word. Tracked changes, no problem. In-line comments, no problem. Same thing with PPT.

Are there problems with it? Sure, but the hyperbolic statements that we're all idiots are a bit much.

As for the ecosystem comment, we had postings last week about Apple potentially moving to custom ARM based laptops. If that happens, they will have a mix of iOS (tablet, phone), ARM desktop and Intel desktop for some period of time during the transition - i.e., 3 ecosystems to support. Personally, I think MS is moving the platform in that direction - they're just doing it before anyone else.

I have an Ipad & Android and I don't find Surface terribly tempting right now given it's overall average specs, premium price and limited library but this is nonsensical. Non-Windows tablets are rarely little more than toys, and toys come down to personal preference. There are a handful of people that try to use the Ipad and maybe even Android tablets as notebook replacements but it's easy to see how Surface would be more appealing for those looking at getting some productivity out of their tablet. When it comes down to it the only glaring weakness of Surface is RT's limited app library, but for quite a few people all they really care about is having decent Browser & Office programs both of which are superior on Win RT to IOS or Android, the slick keyboard covers are a nice little bonus to.

Played with the VivoTab at Samsclub, after I convinced them to turn it on... (god they are retarded there).

Anyways, its nice but I'd pay the extra $50 for the Surface.

That is what MS wants though. They release the Surface, because they want OEM to up the quality and sell cheaper.

That is what MS wants though. They release the Surface, because they want OEM to up the quality and sell cheaper.

Thus far, most OEMs make their products using plastic shells and tons of bloatware to subsidize the cost. Apple carries no bloatware, and uses aluminum bodies. Their products cost more but come with a certain degree of quality. Microsoft is sick of the "race to the bottom" in price and wants to see some premium products sold.

Thus far, most OEMs make their products using plastic shells and tons of bloatware to subsidize the cost. Apple carries no bloatware, and uses aluminum bodies. Their products cost more but come with a certain degree of quality. Microsoft is sick of the "race to the bottom" in price and wants to see some premium products sold.

You know the material of the shell doesn't indicate quality nor durability? Their products are full of glue and tape and are the 5th best lasting laptop brand. :p

Agreed - my work involves drafting and reviewing lots of legal documents. RT comes with Word, not an app that converts Word, but real deal Word. Tracked changes, no problem. In-line comments, no problem. Same thing with PPT.

Are there problems with it? Sure, but the hyperbolic statements that we're all idiots are a bit much.

As for the ecosystem comment, we had postings last week about Apple potentially moving to custom ARM based laptops. If that happens, they will have a mix of iOS (tablet, phone), ARM desktop and Intel desktop for some period of time during the transition - i.e., 3 ecosystems to support. Personally, I think MS is moving the platform in that direction - they're just doing it before anyone else.

Exactly this. With how the bulk of the world uses a laptop, ARM procs make more sense. Why try to scale down a desktop CPU when there's already a solution that will offer superior battery life with adequate performance?

I work a support queue for high end laptops....and the bulk of the users think running office and acrobat require an i7 and a 3gb graphics card. That's just absurd. It actually pisses me off since a large part of my calls are people compaining about features that those laptops offer (how can I save battery life I hear this card is a battery hog?....no shit, this is like driving a Bugatti Veyron and complaining about it's fuel economy).

The issue here is we are enthusiasts, and like a car enthusiast see more value in a WRX than in a Kia Rio, when for someone who just wants to get to work and back, the Rio will be the better car. Same for computers, I suspect this is the start of a trend of picking reasonable hardware vs the "high performance" stuff.

The only issue here is someone had to make the market, otherwise nobody's going to want to follow suit.

This is called competition and I like it...because I want to buy a real laptop disguised as a tablet in the near future and the price reductions resulting will be in my favor.

Exactly this. With how the bulk of the world uses a laptop, ARM procs make more sense. Why try to scale down a desktop CPU when there's already a solution that will offer superior battery life with adequate performance?

Obviously you have never tuned cars with a laptop and realized the form factor sucks. Tablet is the only thing that makes sense, and it has to run x86/x64 compatible code to do that.

lol, I'd rather have the retina display 3rd gen iPad for $399.

Didn't seen any mention of MS Office included on the VivoTab, which if it's omitted means this really doesn't "undercut" the Surface by all that much.

Obviously you have never tuned cars with a laptop and realized the form factor sucks. Tablet is the only thing that makes sense, and it has to run x86/x64 compatible code to do that.

He said "bulk of the world," and you're talking about what people should make for a subset of the tuner car market... :rolleyes: I'm sure Apple and MS are up late trying to figure out how to tap into this market.

Was it really hard to undercut MS's Surface RT? The thing was overpriced to begin with.

Back