Asus Striker Extreme Issue

drockh

n00b
I just bult my machine yesterday and am having trouble with this striker motherboard. When I put everything together I would hit the power button and nothing would happen.. The led lights on the motherboard would stay on regardless if I pressed the button or not. I am not yet at home to check but I am told this motheboard cannot turn on while the led lights are solid. Also when the lights are on I receive a message on the lcd screen saying cpu init. I get no fans or even a light on the power button when I press it... I am really hoping I just have to turn the led lights off and it will fire away....

I had a similar problem once. Did you plug in all power connections? I forgot to plug in the CPU one once.

I originally didnt have the 6 pin cpu one in. I started plugging it in and nothing really changed.

The board won't turn on if the LED's are lit unless the BIOS option to adjust that has been set correctly. The CPU Init error is what's important. There are many threads containing similar issues. You may need to try one stick of 1.8v ram in order to get the system to boot. Then you'd have to go into the BIOS and set your memory voltage to what's needed for your particular ram modules. 2.0v, 2.1v etc.

It's also you got a board with an earlier BIOS. If you are running an E68050 or Q6600, QX6700, QX6800 and so on the board may not POST until the BIOS is updated. You may need to use an E6300 or Pentium D, Pentium 4 chips to get up and running, then flash the BIOS so that you can swap out CPUs.

Since you havne't provided any system specs, I'm just posting general information about the CPU Init error and fixes that worked for others. The BIOS chip may also be bad. I've seen bad flashes on more P5N32-E SLI's and Striker Extreme boards than anything else.

Another Striker another bunch of problems and another CPU INIT.

First off make sure the LED button isn't pinched under the IO dust sheild.

You also might want to check your memory. The striker is notoriously bad with performance memory. Either use a cheap stick of crap ddr2 to get into the BIOS, or stick one stick into slot four cross your fingers and pray.

I am pretty sure its not the memory.. I have the exact same corshair memory that a guy I work with has. We have the indentical parts except he has a different cpu and case. I have turned the lights on and off on the mobo but have not attempted to power it on yet with the off.(I think) If when i get back home its as easy as turning them off and powering it on I will breathe a sigh of relief :p

its defo the lights, if not, then i would try fiddling with memory, make sure everything is seated and all power leads are in place.
Once you get to windows, i would immediately update Bios

its defo the lights, if not, then i would try fiddling with memory, make sure everything is seated and all power leads are in place.

yea I actualy have a cd burnt here at work with all the bios and video card updates ready to go.... heh. I read one forum that said to try putting 1 stick of ram in the slot farthest from the cpu it did nothing different. I am starting to be more confident in assuring myself i can just go home now and it will work :)

yeah, from what you described i would put money on you knocking the led switch. I did this myself, but not on 1st boot so i knew it was something i did.
When you boot for the 1st time the bios doesnt allow led's when off without switch, so for sure its related to that.

It's not definitely the lights. As I said newer BIOS' allow you to run the board with the lights on all the time. Though not via push of the LED on/off button on the back.
Also updating the BIOS within Windows on the Striker Extreme and P5N32-E SLI is a VERY BAD idea. I've seen two motherboards (including mine) killed that way. There are also tons of reports of this on the web too. Some are recoverable without replacing the BIOS chip but some aren't.

I am pretty sure its not the memory.. I have the exact same corshair memory that a guy I work with has. We have the indentical parts except he has a different cpu and case. I have turned the lights on and off on the mobo but have not attempted to power it on yet with the off.(I think) If when i get back home its as easy as turning them off and powering it on I will breathe a sigh of relief :p

That doesn't mean squat. Unfortunately the behavior of one Striker Extreme vs. another can be quite different. Not to mention you might have slightly different versions of Corsair memory even if it's the same part number. Pkus don't forget that you have your machines in two different places. There are possible electrical considerations as well. In some places the power is so bad (in terms of fluctuations and surges) that some very solid machines won't run reliably without a UPS in place. My house is one such place. So just because you too have similar setups doesn't mean they will perform the same. There are manufacturing variances and many other variables to consider.

Another Striker another bunch of problems and another CPU INIT.

First off make sure the LED button isn't pinched under the IO dust sheild.

You also might want to check your memory. The striker is notoriously bad with performance memory. Either use a cheap stick of crap ddr2 to get into the BIOS, or stick one stick into slot four cross your fingers and pray.

I know, it's very sad. One of the most expensive desktop boards ever produced and it's sub par by ASUS'' own standards and NVIDIA who has had far less experience designing motherboards than ASUS is able to produce a better product at a far better price. ASUS has really abandoned it's customers after the sale. This isn't new for them, but it's unfortunate.

yea I actualy have a cd burnt here at work with all the bios and video card updates ready to go.... heh. I read one forum that said to try putting 1 stick of ram in the slot farthest from the cpu it did nothing different. I am starting to be more confident in assuring myself i can just go home now and it will work :)

Don't get your hopes up. Plan on the worst case scenario and get used to that. When and if things turn out to be better than the worse case scenario consider yourself lucky. The one stick of ram in the furthest slot trick works sometimes, but it works even better with some 1.8v el-cheapo memory.

I know, it's very sad. One of the most expensive desktop boards ever produced and it's sub par by ASUS'' own standards and NVIDIA who has had far less experience designing motherboards than ASUS is able to produce a better product at a far better price. ASUS has really abandoned it's customers after the sale. This isn't new for them, but it's unfortunate.

Every time I read the "EFFORT FREE ...." on the box I laugh. This board is many things, effort free it is not.:p

Every time I read the "EFFORT FREE ...." on the box I laugh. This board is many things, effort free it is not.:p

It may be for some.. My buddy popped it in issue free never had any problems. My first problem is I never like reading manuals.. :( If it was just the lights then it was a PICNIC error on my part.

tried turning the led lights off when I got home.. the only thing that happened was they would all blink instead... I still get no power no fans. I dont have any low voltage ram available to test

What are the other components in your system ?
Have you tried reseating the cpu ?
Stock cooler used or 3rd party fan ?
Tried removing the CMos battery for half a day , put it back in ; reset Bios via jumper, put Bios jumper back in normal position , try to boot...

What are the other components in your system ?
Have you tried reseating the cpu ?
Stock cooler used or 3rd party fan ?
Tried removing the CMos battery for half a day , put it back in ; reset Bios via jumper, put Bios jumper back in normal position , try to boot...

Reseating the CPU is absolutely useless with LGA775. The processor goes in one way and can not MOVE. The cover locks it in place and movement is impossible. Resetting the BIOS is good advice as always, but you don't need to leave the CMOS out for half a day. 45 minutes would really be too long most of the time.

Well believe me Dan it's the golden trick for Strikers when many peeps got a CPU init, if you doubt me I don't mind, but one tip you are never too old to learn :D

Also never seen any bend pins on Socket 775 ? Bad Cooler mounting, bending the motherboard... these probs can have many solutions, but we need more info on the matter then just saying he my board doesn' t post

other components

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - Copper EPS12V 750W Continuous @ 40°C (825W Peak) Power Supply

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4

BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC HDCP Video Card

Well believe me Dan it's the golden trick for Strikers when many peeps got a CPU init, if you doubt me I don't mind, but one tip you are never too old to learn :D

Also never seen any bend pins on Socket 775 ? Bad Cooler mounting, bending the motherboard... these probs can have many solutions, but we need more info on the matter then just saying he my board doesn' t post

I've tried that trick on both the Striker and the P5N32-E SLI and it didn't work. Yes I have seen bent pins on LGA775 sockets, but only because of the carelessness of the builder/owner. If the pins aren't bent reseating the CPU won't help you. Though some boards will boot up as all the BIOS settings revert to their factory settings as the board will detect a new CPU installation even though that's not the case.

same ram as me, its 100% stable at the clocks it puts it at at 1.8v, so i doubt its that :S
are you sure everything is wired up correctly?

same ram as me, its 100% stable at the clocks it puts it at at 1.8v, so i doubt its that :S
are you sure everything is wired up correctly?

I am pretty positive. not sure what I could have hooked up wrong.

Hey my system is almost the same as yours ...not the CPU INIT prob is very common among the Strikers...i myself never experienced it but after spending months reading this forum and also the ASUS forum ...i followed guides listed and my first boot was good and its ben running every since...now to get it to boot here is what i did ....make sure the LED switch is in the off position on the back panel...Boot with just 1 stick of ram and one video card (thats if u have 2) and the first time u gonna push the power button make sure to tap the DEL key to acess the bios and set the voltages for your ram manually to at least 2.0v-2.1v...then just follow the rest of the setup...try that ..thats what i did...

Hey my system is almost the same as yours ...not the CPU INIT prob is very common among the Strikers...i myself never experienced it but after spending months reading this forum and also the ASUS forum ...i followed guides listed and my first boot was good and its ben running every since...now to get it to boot here is what i did ....make sure the LED switch is in the off position on the back panel...Boot with just 1 stick of ram and one video card (thats if u have 2) and the first time u gonna push the power button make sure to tap the DEL key to acess the bios and set the voltages for your ram manually to at least 2.0v-2.1v...then just follow the rest of the setup...try that ..thats what i did...

LED light is in the off position but they still blink which I dont think is normal... I tried all the tips and tricks such as leaving the cmos battery out for a day the one stick of ram thing as well. The power button on the front doesnt even light up when I press it.

I've tried that trick on both the Striker and the P5N32-E SLI and it didn't work. Yes I have seen bent pins on LGA775 sockets, but only because of the carelessness of the builder/owner. If the pins aren't bent reseating the CPU won't help you. Though some boards will boot up as all the BIOS settings revert to their factory settings as the board will detect a new CPU installation even though that's not the case.

I think the trick is leaving the CMOS out for half a day, though I was told to pull it out go to work and come back.

Oddly enough it does seem to work.

Then again this board is so random who can tell. It probably takes a shrunken monkey head to fix some issues.

is the power signal defo getting to the board? do you get anything from the onboard speaker?

is the power signal defo getting to the board? do you get anything from the onboard speaker?

only thing turning on is the board LED lights that I can see. If i put the switch in the off position they blink otherwise its just solid lights.

i mean the power switch, on the front of the case or wherever you mount it.
Have you tried the on-board switches?

How is your board set-up right now?????
In a case or out?????
I'd take it out and take the whole thing apart and start over from scratch, booting (if you can) with the board out of the case......then place it back in.

How is your board set-up right now?????
In a case or out?????
I'd take it out and take the whole thing apart and start over from scratch, booting (if you can) with the board out of the case......then place it back in.

currently in case.. Im gonna actually lend it to a buddy for the weekend who is running an identical system cept for the CPU and case. Hopefully so we can narrow down the issue or find out that I was jsut dumb when I was connecting it :p

hmm now that I think about it... I didn't actually install the screw things that raise the motherboard off the case... I just screwed it right into the case. This is going to cause a problem i guess?

OMG, if ure lucky you wont have fried your mobo. It will touch the case, short, and fry!!!
raise it and try and boot, if not, then not good :S

If you didnt use standoffs, you might have shorted the whole deal out. That's why I recommended a bare-bones approach out of the case.

Put the MB on the anti-static bag, use one stick of RAM,the CPU, and a video card. Plug in the 24 pin and 8 pin power leads, the GPU lead if necessary and a molex to your optical drive (some PSUs will not switch on without some load on the 5V rail) and see if you can boot up.

If you didnt use standoffs, you might have shorted the whole deal out. That's why I recommended a bare-bones approach out of the case.

Put the MB on the anti-static bag, use one stick of RAM,the CPU, and a video card. Plug in the 24 pin and 8 pin power leads, the GPU lead if necessary and a molex to your optical drive (some PSUs will not switch on without some load on the 5V rail) and see if you can boot up.

hmm now that I think about it... I didn't actually install the screw things that raise the motherboard off the case... I just screwed it right into the case. This is going to cause a problem i guess?

Yeah, you could say that.

i just ordered a striker extreme, and after it shipped i read this thread! DOH! i might consider just returning it immediately and checking out the motherboard in DAN_D's sig.. :cool:

I hope everything goes ok with your situation man! ;)

i just ordered a striker extreme, and after it shipped i read this thread! DOH! i might consider just returning it immediately and checking out the motherboard in DAN_D's sig.. :cool:

I hope everything goes ok with your situation man! ;)

Now that it's already been ordered I'd suggest trying it out. If it doesn't work, send it back to the place you bought it from and grab the EVGA.

Back