ASUS Rog Swift 32 inch PG32UCDM with 31.5″ QD-OLED Panel, 4K 240hz

For SDR brightness yes you would be right staring at a consistent fullscreen 350+ nits is uncomfortable. But when we say 400 nits is too dim, we aren't talking about fullscreen brightness, it's HDR highlight brightness. This heatmap is a good way to visualize the image:

View attachment 663187

As you can see, the vast majority of the picture is in fact below 50 nits. Only the elements that NEED to be bright are actually bright. Having a display that can show luminance levels from sub 1 nit all the way to 1000 nits at the same time really helps the image to pop and look more lifelike. When your peak highlights can only do 400 nits then the picture tends to look more dull and flat. So again, when we are talking about HDR brightness, we are not referring to a consistent FULLSCREEN brightness and that honestly seems to be the whole misunderstanding around here. Nobody in their right mind would stare at a fullscreen 1000 nit image like that.
I have no desire to wear sun glasses inside, but it's not about that. It's as MistaSparkul says about the specular highlights.

And with devices such as this HDR will only advance further:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...o-change-tvs-and-the-movie-industry-for-good/

I have no desire to wear sun glasses inside, but it's not about that. It's as MistaSparkul says about the specular highlights.

And with devices such as this HDR will only advance further:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...o-change-tvs-and-the-movie-industry-for-good/

I'm not a brightness snob and even I think that 400 is simply too low. I know some people aren't happy with HDR unless they have like a million nits or something but for me, I would personally be totally happy with an OLED that could do around 1000 nits in a 10% window. I do own FALD monitors that are capable of 1000 nits (Acer X27 and InnoCN 32M2V) but those are mini LED screens that have their own set of problems. If I could get OLED picture quality combined with 1000 nits for HDR content then that I would call it a day. Yes I know 1000 nits isn't all that bright when you have other screens hitting 1500, 2000, and even 3000 nits these days. But like I said I'm not much of a brightness snob so 1000 nits is all I need.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
Back