ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces All-New ROG Strix Motherboards

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS and Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced ASUS Signature X99-Deluxe II, X99-A II and X99-E, and ROG Strix X99 Gaming from the latest lineup of ROG Strix series — all-new four ATX motherboards based on the Intel® X99 chipset and loaded with exclusive technologies to maximize the potential of the latest LGA 2011-3 Intel Core™ i7 X-series processors.

Commenting on the new product line-up, Joe Hsieh, ASUS Corporate Vice President & General Manager of Motherboard Business Unit said: “Our X99 motherboards have won awards from many respected publications and editors around the world, with ASUS consistently praised as the number-one motherboard brand. We are keen to offer best-selling, easy-to-use, stable and trusted motherboards — that’s why we call them BEST. And we’re proud to introduce our all-new X99 motherboards allowing users to customize their experience and maximize performance in ways that simply aren’t possible with any other brand of motherboard.”

EVGA, Gigabyte, and now Asus are releasing a X99 refresh with Broadwell-E. I wonder if MSI or Asrock will do the same. Glad I have been waiting to jump on X99 train...

All fine and good that Asus reinforced the first slot but why didn't they reinforce the other PCIe x16 slots? Cool looking boards otherwise.

Last edited:
Any pics of Signature X99-Deluxe II, X99-A II and X99-E anywhere? not really that interested in Strix gaming boards.

I miss the good old days when motherboards were all standard green, and marketed based on their features and capabilities, rather than this silly bling.

I miss the good old days when motherboards were all standard green, and marketed based on their features and capabilities, rather than this silly bling.

Eh, that green always looked so damned cheap. Also, I remember how flimsy they were. You would pick up an Intel Motherboard and it was many layers thick, well built. Pick up other brands and it was 4 layers and as flexible as a vinyl record. All were ugly ass green.

Eh, that green always looked so damned cheap. Also, I remember how flimsy they were. You would pick up an Intel Motherboard and it was many layers thick, well built. Pick up other brands and it was 4 layers and as flexible as a vinyl record. All were ugly ass green.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. It's not the green aspect that was the biggest seller for me, but rather the fact that the focus was on features and capabilities, not on appearance.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I only ever see my motherboard when I'm working on the computer. Up until recently I didn't have a window in my case and now the case is sandwiched between my desk and a wall with the window up against the wall.

Honestly - within reason - I don't give a rat's ass what the components LOOK like. I cafe how they work. The fact that they are now competing so much on looks means that they have given up on the technical side. Its so much easier to just take a generic design and slap a cool look on it than it is to truly cone out with unique features your competitors don't have.

Stuff that would be cool to see would be motherboards with dynamic PCIe switches such that any slot can be configured to get the number of lanes you want based on your build, and with some driver/chipset involvement maybe even fully dynamic lane allotment based on the bandwidth needs of any given component at any given time.

Instead we get standard Intel chipsets with standard realtek audio and ethernet in many different colors with many different lights and many different heatsink shapes that are mostly there for decorative, rather than functional purposes. The "hood scoops" of the computer world.

Personally I'd take a barebones motherboard, with as much expansion as humanly possible and as few on board components as possible, letting me customize my system like the good old days with the Ethernet and sound I want, instead of what the manufacturer saw fit to integrate on board.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. It's not the green aspect that was the biggest seller for me, but rather the fact that the focus was on features and capabilities, not on appearance.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I only ever see my motherboard when I'm working on the computer. Up until recently I didn't have a window in my case and now the case is sandwiched between my desk and a wall with the window up against the wall.

Honestly - within reason - I don't give a rat's ass what the components LOOK like. I cafe how they work. The fact that they are now competing so much on looks means that they have given up on the technical side. Its so much easier to just take a generic design and slap a cool look on it than it is to truly cone out with unique features your competitors don't have.

Stuff that would be cool to see would be motherboards with dynamic PCIe switches such that any slot can be configured to get the number of lanes you want based on your build, and with some driver/chipset involvement maybe even fully dynamic lane allotment based on the bandwidth needs of any given component at any given time.

Instead we get standard Intel chipsets with standard realtek audio and ethernet in many different colors with many different lights and many different heatsink shapes that are mostly there for decorative, rather than functional purposes. The "hood scoops" of the computer world.

Personally I'd take a barebones motherboard, with as much expansion as humanly possible and as few on board components as possible, letting me customize my system like the good old days with the Ethernet and sound I want, instead of what the manufacturer saw fit to integrate on board.

While I was complaining about the Green, I thoroughly agree with your comments. I don't care about windows and fancy colors. My pc slides under my desk and I never see it again. I just want quality!

So a $100 premium for lights, wifi, and bluetooth? I recently built one using an X99 Sabertooth and don't see a reason to upgrade. On the Sabertooth, using the M.2 slot disables the bottom x16 slot, which sucks. Wonder if these new boards have the same behavior?

Last edited:
Does this beat their rampage extreme?

Hard to define "beat".

I have a frist gen R5E as well (your signature says you have one too). These new boards have LED lights and onboard USB 3.1. Though I doubt they are "better" then the R5E in any other way.

I kinda wish Asus would rehash the R5E with a new edition that had the LED's. Id be tempted to waste money on that.

Back