ASUS RAMdisk

Tych-0

Gawd
Anybody have experience with this?

I'm slowly piecing together an X99 build and considering the RVE which has the RAMdisk option. I'm probably going stick with 16GB of RAM, but I would consider an upgrade to 32GB and use half of it for the RAMdisk if people are reporting positive experiences with it.

Of the handful of reviews out there, it seems to be a pretty positive piece of software. I would love to give it a shot. If I didn't like it, I'd probably use SoftPerfect.

I installed it but have yet to try it. I was wondering if I could use it as a smartresponse cache in front of an SSD or a Raid array.

It works really good and the UI was easy to figure out and get it working.

The down side to it is the same as any ramdisk. Shut down and boot times will increase due to the ramdisk being saved to a disk and then being filled back during bootup.

If anything I would get 64GB of ram on a quad channel board, set about 52GB for a ramdisk then load BF4 onto it.

The issue with ramdisks for me is size limitations. I would have to devote so much or even more then I have in ram to just 1 modern AAA title.

The down side to it is the same as any ramdisk. Shut down and boot times will increase due to the ramdisk being saved to a disk and then being filled back during bootup.

You may want to try primocache it does not have that downside. It's not a ram disk but a read write cache that you can tune . Maybe specify the cache to be 32GB and have it write back in 2 minutes or so. I used this for a year or so during the beta period (expired this summer when it became a product). You can try the full product for free.

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/index.html

It works really good and the UI was easy to figure out and get it working.

If anything I would get 64GB of ram on a quad channel board, set about 52GB for a ramdisk then load BF4 onto it.

The issue with ramdisks for me is size limitations. I would have to devote so much or even more then I have in ram to just 1 modern AAA title.

That's a good point, and 64GB is just more than I'm willing to purchase right now.

Back