ASUS PB278Q 27" 5ms WQHD refurb $399 3 left

There's like 3 of these left.

This is a pretty good price for a 1440p mainstream monitor though. Pity they weren't this price when I was looking ages ago. But my Qnix is serving me very well either way.

Edit: Misread.

This or a 32 or even a 40 inch 1080p tv with smart features and a remote, for same or less money?
I get it, they're 1440p with ips panels, but with 4k right around the corner, who wants to bother with this dead resolution? And at such a premium price. For now i prefer 1080p, but maybe i'm the minority here.

I don't mean to troll, but the fact these little 27's are still this much is silliness.

Bump, and thanks for the heads up OP.

I have 2 of this monitor... Loves it!

Totally worth its money (If there are no dead pixel)

I had one from these guys, took it back. It developed dead pixels in 2 spots, it also gave me headaches from the PWM dimming.

This or a 32 or even a 40 inch 1080p tv with smart features and a remote, for same or less money?
I get it, they're 1440p with ips panels, but with 4k right around the corner, who wants to bother with this dead resolution? And at such a premium price. For now i prefer 1080p, but maybe i'm the minority here.

I don't mean to troll, but the fact these little 27's are still this much is silliness.

Um... you get much higher pixel density with these monitors (probably reason for the price) and roughly twice as many pixels in general. It's far from a "dead" resolution, too. 1440p is a great resolution at this day and age, because it's pretty well supported (being 16:9) and many cards can push it (unlike 4k). Also, I wouldn't put a 32-40 inch crappy resolution TV on my desk. I have a 51 inch 1080p Samsung plasma that I just recently purchased as my TV, but it's more expensive and has a different niche. I wish I could get a 1440p plasma monitor, but those don't exist (hence I had to do some panel bending to get my Qnix's light bleed out). At least these tend to be pretty high quality panels and the image quality is nice (panel lottery and manufacturing defects aside...).

I would say 300-400$ is a reasonable price for these monitors. Good 1080p IPS monitors will run you 150-200$, and these have roughly twice as many pixels and thus higher rate of return and such.

If anything, the silliness is all over 4k right now. We should have just moved up to 1440p TV's, not friggin jumped to 4k that we can't even support at 60Hz.

Do some more research you will find it is not a dead resolution at all. With 4k being only 30htz instead of 120, 4k still has a ways to go. Not to mention the hardware that will be required to game at 4k @ 120htz does not really exist yet either.

Do some more research you will find it is not a dead resolution at all. With 4k being only 30htz instead of 120, 4k still has a ways to go. Not to mention the hardware that will be required to game at 4k @ 120htz does not really exist yet either.

I disagree. 1440p and 1600p are on life support.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but we're they touting 1440p at CES this year? Nope. And yes the HDMI Consortium should all be fired for sitting on their hands for so long when we've already had 4k panels on the market for a year now with no new standard. However HDMI 2.0 is now available, and will be in new 2014 sets.

I disagree. 1440p and 1600p are on life support.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but we're they touting 1440p at CES this year? Nope. And yes the HDMI Consortium should all be fired for sitting on their hands for so long when we've already had 4k panels on the market for a year now with no new standard. However HDMI 2.0 is now available, and will be in new 2014 sets.

You will not find 4K at 120HZ at reasonable prices nor cards that can run them on max settings until Q4 2015 or 2016.

I bet all my money on that.

4K may be upcoming, but no way 1440p and 1600p are on life support especially in PC gaming. Maybe for TV (as they weren't popular anyways), but that's about it.

You will not find 4K at 120HZ at reasonable prices nor cards that can run them on max settings until Q4 2015 or 2016.

I bet all my money on that.

4K may be upcoming, but no way 1440p and 1600p are on life support especially in PC gaming. Maybe for TV (as they weren't popular anyways), but that's about it.

Not to mention a OS that supports them well on smaller screens. And for 120htz we are not talking about interpolated 120, I mean true 120's. Hell it's hard to find a good non TN panel 120 htz even at 1080p right now for a reasonable price... By the time 4k becomes the new norm, we will have the next generation consoles that can support it at at least 60htz... Yea I think it's still going to be some time off...

Yeah 1440p on life support, whatever. I love my Overlord 1440p at 96Hz and I won't go back to a shitty 1080p monitor no matter how fast it is.

Why on Earth would ASUS be releasing a brand new ultra gaming monitor at 1440p if it's a dead resolution?

I own this monitor and I love it. I was also unable to OC since it would skip frames.

I just got a Crossover 27QW and I would recommend spending more and getting a bigger name like Asus,LG .. etc, quality is worth it if you plan on ever reselling it. (4k)
1440p is dead? dang it, and I just got one.
(1080p now looks blurry,1440p is easier to read with not to mention everything else)

4k is "right around the corner"?? Um, no, its not, not for anyone not willing to drop massive money to mess with it.

Mainstream adoption even among gamers who want it is 1-2 years out at best I'd guess.

1920x1080 still dominates Steam surveys, and 4k wont even be much of a blip there for a looooong time.

Also, we're gonna need major upgrades in refresh rates on those panels, and video cards that can drive games on them at near max settings that dont cost as much as a new car. :p

What's this about 1440 being dead? What effect does that have on anyone who decides to buy a 1440 monitor?

Last edited:
What's this about 1440 being dead? What effect does that have on anyone who decides to buy a 1440 monitor?

Not a damn thing, its a resolution, it'll be supported by future cards.

800 x 600 is dead too, but its still around.

Worry not what the whiners say, buy what you want to buy.

Back