Asus PA248Q and Dell U2412M

Most movie playback software will automatically scale the content so it won't be an issue. If I were buying one I would get the Asus for the 6 trace free (over drive) options & potentially better colours from a place with a good return/exchange policy since the quality control isn't the best.

NCX, thanks for the reply. I'm not going to use the monitor for movies or console games. Just PC games. Should I still be concerned about the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping for hor+ games? The monitor will stretch a 1080p image correct? I'm fine with letterbox, however, I don't know if that will be an option or not.

Problem is that I don't have a place to buy the asus locally.

Man this stuff is confusing. I've been over at widescreengamingforums and am still confused. I guess the problem only comes from games that don't natively (ie...no option in the menu for 16:10) support it. What happens then? I keep seeing people talk about starcraft II. Will the 2412m be able to just put letterbox on it?

16:9 content will just be letter boxed. 1:1 pixel mapping is only needed for consoles (& maybee playing old super low res pc games) since they don't support 1200p

Well, got the u2412m. Looks stunning in comparison to the 2311xi - which looks a little drab in comparison. The AG is definitely there, but the text is really crisp just the same. On non-text I don't notice it much at all.

Desktop looks great...games seem to look odd in native resolution.

I played some BF3 in 1920x1200. That seemed a little odd to me after using the 16:9 2311xi. The wider ratio seemed more natural. So, I went into the nvidia settings and told it to scale 1:1 and use the GPU to do it. Then went back into BF3 and set the resolution to 1920x1080. This resulted in black bars on the top and bottom of the screen and it should be same view as you would get from 1080p correct? Is it best to have the GPU do it? Does this tasking reduce your gpu's ability to push frames at all? Did I do this right and is there another way to do it?

Well, got the u2412m. Looks stunning in comparison to the 2311xi - which looks a little drab in comparison. The AG is definitely there, but the text is really crisp just the same. On non-text I don't notice it much at all.

Desktop looks great...games seem to look odd in native resolution.

I played some BF3 in 1920x1200. That seemed a little odd to me after using the 16:9 2311xi. The wider ratio seemed more natural. So, I went into the nvidia settings and told it to scale 1:1 and use the GPU to do it. Then went back into BF3 and set the resolution to 1920x1080. This resulted in black bars on the top and bottom of the screen and it should be same view as you would get from 1080p correct? Is it best to have the GPU do it? Does this tasking reduce your gpu's ability to push frames at all? Did I do this right and is there another way to do it?

It doesn't affect performance. As far as what looks natural its all what you get used to. I've used a 16:10 display for three years and when I tried a 16:9 it drove me up a wall. Seemed too short and wide. Was a lot happier to get back to "normal" for me with the Dell.

I really like the U2412M but by looking some video example i noticed its not as snappy as some other monitors.

There is also a guy on youtube that compares it to a CRT and you can see that its a litle bit slower.

By checking the videos of the U2312HM it really feels faster but now i'm really not sure what to get.

LG also released some new IPS (both are non E IPS panels) panels which are great for the price

IPS234V and IPS237L

So what do you guys suggest?

I really like the U2412M but by looking some video example i noticed its not as snappy as some other monitors.

There is also a guy on youtube that compares it to a CRT and you can see that its a litle bit slower.

By checking the videos of the U2312HM it really feels faster but now i'm really not sure what to get.

LG also released some new IPS (both are non E IPS panels) panels which are great for the price

IPS234V and IPS237L

So what do you guys suggest?

Videos can't tell you very much about a screen. In comparison to a CRT the U2412M will show more pronounced motion blur, and a slighlty grainier picture, as will a U2312HM.

After that the differences should be very small. I don't think the U2312HM has any less input lag, or is likely much faster in terms of pixel response, so choose whichever you can afford, and suits your needs. If you want 16:9 get the 23", if not, get the 24".

The U2412M is about as "snappy" as it gets for an IPS. With any modern IPS with overdrive about the only concern you might have is if you're a competitive FPS gamer. But yeah, get whatever model suits you. Any IPS is going to be better than an TN is almost any respect.

How is the AG coating on the Asus compared to the Dell? Is the Asus the same or better or worse..Also what color is the power led on this monitor?

Last edited:
How is the AG coating on the Asus compared to the Dell? Is the Asus the same or better or worse..Also what color is the power led on this monitor?

Identical to my eyes. I had both (and kept the Dell - mostly for the much more uniform backlight). I had a glossy HP TN and even coming from that neither bothered me or seemed overly grainy or sparkly. I asked the editor of http://pcmonitors.org and he said they both had the same coating. This was before I bought the Dell and he said if the ASUS didn't bother me the Dell's AG coating wouldn't either. He was right.

The power led can be turned off on the ASUS. On the Dell its a very tiny and faint blue pc power symbol on the bottom right corner. Totally unobtrusive.

Last edited:
Got my Dell u2412m last week, AG coating doesn't bother me at all, You can hardly see it unless
You are too close to the monitor anyway.
It is a rather curious coating though, as my old BENQ x2200w has less reflection and less graininess on its AG.
My only niggle (minor complaint) is that when viewing a full white screen there is a slight green/yellow
tint on the lower half of the right hand side, definitely not bad enough to return it, and completely unnoticeable in Movies or Games, only some websites that use a full white background. From what
I've read it's normal for these screens. No backlight bleed anywhere.

The AG is kinda annoying imo. Especially when reading txt.

Im gonna replace my U2412M with a non grainy ag IPS.

Its fine with windows when I put the DPI higher but small text on my mac with the U2412m is hard to read.

I'm in the same boat, debating to replace my Dell e249wfp with either the Dell u2412m or Asus pa248q. On paper they're almost identical, both are in my price range, and from many forum posts and reviews I've read, they both have their own "bumps". I'ts mostly for gaming(sc2,wow,CS), movies, web browsing, school. Is the extra features of the Asus better to get for down the years, or is the dell ? or should I even hold out for a couple more months ?

I'm mainly looking for a great image and display, around the price range of these two monitors.

Last edited:
You might want to wait, especially if you are not desperate and don't want an excessively grainy display. HP just changed their ZR2740w from aggressive anti-glare to semi-glossy (following Asus's VG23AH & Dells U2713), expect a few other manufacturers to do the same in the following months.

"Aggressive anti-glare" and "excessively grainy" are very subjective. Given the numerous glowing reviews of the monitors from both expert and user sources I would wager the odds are good a buyer will find them acceptable.

Acceptable isn't good enough for something you use a lot, like a monitor.

Anything can be acceptable if you have nothing for comparison, sit too far away or have bad eyesight.

The amount of coating LG uses clearly causes much more distortion compared to the semi-glossy S24A850D.

http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2012/08/06/1/29_kristaleffect_big.jpg

There is nothing subjective about it, the more dirt you get on your wind shield the harder it is to see. Dell, HP & Asus must be sick of loosing money on returns, so they are changing the coating. These companies couldn't care less about the 1% (picky forum users). There is only 1 thing that would convince them to switch, and that is $$$$$.

Last edited:
Acceptable isn't good enough for something you use a lot, like a monitor.

Duh - I sit in front of a U2412M six or more hours a day. Had it not been very good it would have been out of here (and you're twisting a single word). /sigh :rolleyes: I feel like I'm talking to several brick walls, so I'll bow out of this discussion after this post. But I'll beat that dead horse into hamburger one more time: I've had a glossy monitor I've had both the PA248Q and U2412M sitting in front of me so I feel I have a pretty good point of comparison for both types. The IPS's are not grainy, sparkly, dull, dirty...whatever to my eyes (which have pretty damn good vision). I don't sit across the room from the monitors either - normal viewing distance. Right now there are 137 user reviews on Newegg with average 5/5 stars. There are 83 on Amazon with a 4.5 star average. There are 102 on Dell's website averaging 4.4 stars. The vast majority make no mention of the supposed AG coating related issues constantly brought up here (and neither do most expert reviews). A better question might be how many of you have personal experience with either one of these? Both? I know a few of you might, but I'd wager many just repeat what you've read (as is the nature of the internet beast).

I always thought I was an OCD perfectionist about things I buy (and I have plenty of P.O.'d customer service and repair people to vouch for that), but you all take the cake. By all means knock yourselves out with pedantic nit-picking (and avoid a good product).

Anything can be acceptable if you have nothing for comparison, sit too far away or have bad eyesight.

Again, had a glossy (prior to the Dell for three years), sit 24-28" from the monitor and have 20/15 vision. Why don't we just say ANYTHING brought up here is subjective and ANYONE (that includes you or me) can pull subjective crap out of their rear. It really means nothing since none of it can be substantiated.

Stop being an apologist. It is not subjective, the image I posted clearly shows that LG's coating is grainy.

Last edited:
Stop being an apologist. It is not subjective, the image I posted clearly shows that LG's coating is grainy.

Why shouldn't I be an apologist against ridiculous and over-the-top claims? Grain tests like that are meaningless from a normal viewing perspective. One couldn't see the detail of that extreme magnification with a magnifying glass and one's nose planted firmly against the screen. Whether one chooses to "notice" it at the normal viewing distance intended for a monitor or not is extremely subjective.

I'm thinking about buying U2412M, but I have the same question...

Not for a while, and likely nothing with any new features at this size/aspect ratio. Most of the new stuff is in the 27" space, some at 16:9 24" etc...

Having seen both the U2412M and the PA248Q, take the U2412M and save the ca$h unless you need the extra inputs or 16:9 abilities for PS3 or BluRay player.

Sorry to bump and older thread...

I'm in the market for another 24" monitor to pair with a Dell 2405FPW. Obvious choices are U2412M or PA248Q. Cost difference is a not a deciding factor.

I'm looking for the choice that will best match with the 2405FPW after being calibrated. I can't stand when multi-monitor setups have a vastly differnet image reproduction, even after being calibrated.

FWIW, have a pair of U2412M's at work, no complaints about them.

Was it ever clearly established if this is a true 8-bit or 6-bit panel? I know the PA246Q is 8-bit.

has anybody used the pa248q monitor with a PS3?

does 720p and 1080p content get letterboxed?

does the sound work properly with a mixamp/headset combo on the ps3?

its hard to find information on this topic so i assume its not very popular, or maybe theres problems with trying to do so.

Back