ASUS PA246Q: 24-inch, 1920x1200, IPS

I game quite a bit and I have no trouble. The response time is excellent, slightly better than my old S-PVA which was overdriven. This monitor has no overdriven side effects. The input lag is very similar to my old one which never went beyond 20ms. So I would say its the same on this. 15-25ms. I play shooters, League of Legends, and RTS games with no issue.

That sounds good. I've been using TN all my life and when I tried playing SC2 on my tv, even with game mode on, there was still enough lag that it threw me off. I guess I'll just have to pick one of these up and try it out.

Are these available in store to actually see? or online stores only?

I bought this monitor from amazon in March. In the past month up to now, my screen goes blank/black for about a second while the power light is still on. This happens maybe 1-2 times an hour. I've contacted tech support and have been running a couple of the tests. Still need to run a couple of more before I send it in for repairs.

I am running dual setup. The Asus my main and a old dell as secondary. Drivers for graphics card is up to date.

Has anyone had this problem??

I bought this monitor from amazon in March. In the past month up to now, my screen goes blank/black for about a second while the power light is still on. This happens maybe 1-2 times an hour. I've contacted tech support and have been running a couple of the tests. Still need to run a couple of more before I send it in for repairs.

I am running dual setup. The Asus my main and a old dell as secondary. Drivers for graphics card is up to date.

Has anyone had this problem??

Use Displayport or DVI, not HDMI. Once you switch off of HDMI, you will see the problem disappear.

I have 3 and LOVE EM!

No problems as reported with HDMI, flickering, lag, input, nothing.

Just works great., Colors are amazing, blacklight bleeding is meh, but who cares when you have 1.x+ billion colors at your fingertips. I get no color banding in ANYTHING. PERIOD. I use nothing but DP for all my connections on my 6990 and boy there is NO limitations on DP that DVI and VGA and HDMI experience. These monitors were definitely made to shine with DP. So if you can at all cost use DP.

2 dark dots appeared on my PA246Q LCD. I tried the tapping method and the pressure method without success. I left UDPixel running for 2 days. The darker dot became less dark. But they didn't disappear completely. So should I run the software a little longer and the dark dots will disappear? Or they won't just fade away?

Thanks.

Just got one of these yesterday. No complaints, no dead pixels, no stuck pixels, just nice a big picture.

I'm pretty much interested in buying this monitor. Though I don't have a calibration device and I'm going to use sRGB only. Is the sRGB preset useful even without major calibrating?

I actually do not recommend sRGB mode. While its supposedly very accurate, the colors seem kinda dull since you have no control over the contrast. As well slight banding is supposedly noticeable (according to reviews, wasnt obvious to me).

What I did was keep it on standard, which has no banding whatsoever and then set your video card to read the EDID which will fix your colors properly without losing vividness. Also I set brightness to 25 and contrast to 85.

Looks great to me.

Probably going to be 499.99 sigh and I was thinking eyefinity FTW on these.

The human eye can see about 10million colors which alone is mind boggling. I cant imagine 1.06 billion on a 10bit color gamut.

thats too much

My SRGB has a bit of a red tint. And maybe more relevant is that Brightness is the only variable. No other color setting can be adjusted while on the SRGB preset. They say these are calibrated in factory and give a chart with each unit's results (probably why they don't let you mess with the settings on certain modes). If you are going to use it for any professional ends, I would not recommend this monitor. Nor for any other use that relied on a non/limited adjustable preset mode. Just my opinion. I love it but I'm just in it for movies/browsing/gaming and I'm not reliant on any one mode.

Adobe RGB preset plus Adobe RGB 1998 ICC file for windows color management is the best setting I have found for this monitor. Firefox , NitroPDF, and other programs can also be configured to take advantage of monitors like these.

Ugly™

set your video card to read the EDID which will fix your colors
Could you tell me how to do this? Just asked google but I still don't really have a clue what exactly you're talking about.

As for ICC profiles, I made some bad experiences with games in the past, so I actually don't want to use one.

Could you tell me how to do this? Just asked google but I still don't really have a clue what exactly you're talking about.

As for ICC profiles, I made some bad experiences with games in the past, so I actually don't want to use one.

m4.jpg

Not sure about Nvidia.

I'm really interested in a new IPS monitor as I do a lot of photogaphic editing my present Dell SP2309W TN monitor has served me well but I'm sure the colour accuracy isn't that good.

I recently bought a Dell U2711H on sale for $629 I loved the monitor but I couldn't get use to the Anti Glare treatment on the screen it was too grainy looking for me. So reluctantly I sent the monitor back to Dell (Australia) and got a refund.

The problem is that I have been using a glossy monitor for a couple of years and I have got use to how photos and graphics really pop when using this screen, I can't find a glossy IPS panel anywhere except for Apple which look great but to expensive for me.

So I was wondering how the AG coating on this Asus monitor looks in comparison to the Dell IPS's screens, where I live I have no access to seeing this monitor in a shop before buying.

I'm using the monitor on sRGB mode with the default sRGB color profiles of Windows 7 cause i don't have any calibration tool. The question is should i change the color temperature value from ATI's Control Panel or should i use check the "Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID)" from there? When i check it as "on" especially red colors becoming to shown as an orange. The default value of Color Temperature in ATI Control Panel is 6500k by the way.

And is there anything should I do except chaning the color profile from Windows Control Panel for sRGB Mode? Thank you for your answers and sorry about my bad english.

Last edited:
just came home with this monitor. It blows me away.

I've had an awesome HP w2207 (1680x1050?) for 2-3 years. In that time, I have bought at least 3 other LED-LCD 23-24" monitors trying to replace it to reach that magical 1080p resolution I was just short of.. Every time, they looked much worse than my HP and I returned them.

This monitor changes everything. I can't believe I am even looking at it. Adjusted nothing. Came with the calibration sheet of course. Every color is so perfect. Brightness is a tad too much, but so much power and contrast behind it. Best monitor I've ever owned for sure.

Got it local at Frys. They price match online pricing from the major stores. (Amazon, Tiger, Newegg, Walmart, etc..) They were selling it for $499 and Walmart had it for $449. Naturally I got the price match for $449. I'll sell my HP for maybe $150 local if im lucky, and get some of my money back.

Stoked.

Anyone have an issue with this monitor when you power up the settings are not saved from the previous session?

Anyone have an issue with this monitor when you power up the settings are not saved from the previous session?

Not on mine.

I am sending my 3rd PA246Q back to Amazon. 1st: screen flickering/blackout; 2nd: multiple stuck pixels; 3rd: screen flickering/blackout worse than the first one.

Time to start searching for something different.

Just got the PA246Q from Amazon.

Calibrated with with i1 display 2 using the i1profiler software. Colors look great very nice. Contrast and shades of blacks are very nice after calibration. I can't say brightness is perfectly uniform, but I knew that was the case coming in. No dead pickles that my eye can see from the test app I ran.

Not a gamer, although I do have portal 2 to finish.

Upgraded from the 2209WA

Oh, and the software made me lower brightness to 0 to achieve 120 *units*

Last edited:
When scrolling up and down in Firefox, look @ the white text on this forum. Mine turns pink. :/

Or just drag the window around side to side.

hmmmm

I've had my eyes on this monitor for a very long time but I just couldn't justify the 500$ price tag. Now my amazing Viewsonic P95f+ is dying a slow and agonizing death and I need a monitor that I won't regret buying a month later.

There was mention that this monitor supports 75hz refresh at lowered resolution, does anyone know what res that would be at? I've tried google and no one seems to mention what resolutions it can be used. Our other computer has a Samsung 205bw that supports 75hz @ 800x600 so I played some games on it at the native 1680x1050 @60hz and at 800x600 @75hz and even though it's just 15hz more the 75hz was incredibly smooth compared to 60hz and it was enough for me to definitely be put off by 60hz if I can avoid it.

How is the scaling on this monitor when not using the native res?

I'm looking at this monitor not just for gaming (which is the only place I'd lower res for increased refresh rate), I do 3d/2d graphics design daily using Photoshop, Vegas Pro, Poser, Vue etc which is why I wanted 16:10, I gotta have my screen retail space.

Running this monitor on HDMI since my Feb purchase from amazon. Great color, pretty even illumination. No stuck pickles. No flickr flash whatever it's called.

Oh and I've been playing skyrim on it in 1680x1050 and I find it very pleasant. Oh you were curious about really really low resolutions. Not sure there =)

Well, I was curious what the highest (or lowest depending on how you look at it) resolution you have to have it set to in order to get more than 60hz. The Samsung monitor was 800x600 which is really a bit too low for my taste.

I can understand 120hz being a bandwidth problem, but it's annoying that they haven't released more 75hz or greater monitors at 1920x1200. That should be within the limits of older tech like DP 1.1a iirc. Hell, I'd take a 1440 monitor as long it's able to support more than 60hz. So annoying.

Greets.

Looking for a monitor mostly for games (non-ultra quick FPS), net, office - so not for graphic related work.

Does this monitor has any advantage over Dell U2412M, besides its wide color gamut?
Does its wide color gamut worth the cash, are games so much nicer, vibrant, finely greyscaled with wcg?

Thanx if you know sg...

monitors like this often can accept higher refresh rates at resolutions where there is enough bandwidth like 1920x1200@75Hz BUT skipps frames so must be used at 60Hz anyway... :eek:

it was the case with U2410 and I don't see why this Asus behave differently. Actually most 1920x1200 monitors skip frames...

you may have more luck with U2412M as it have simpler electronic and here simpler=better :p

When scrolling up and down in Firefox, look @ the white text on this forum. Mine turns pink. :/

Or just drag the window around side to side.
Did you calibrate with i1 or something? Also seen this on my boxed up and crappy U2311H. 6-bit dither in full effect.

Can anyone please give numbers or a bit more accurate details about what is exactly the difference in input lag between Dell U2410 Gaming mode and Asus PA246Q?

I've been hanging with my beautiful Dell 2209WA (IPS, 1680x1050) for a couple years now and wouldn't mind upgrading to a slightly bigger IPS monitor. How does the Asus PA246Q compare....if you've seen both?

My only complaint about my Dell is it's extreme brightness. I turned down brightness to zero. How about this one?

I received today my Asus PA246Q and here is what I got:

1. No dead pixels.
2. Ips glow was the very first thing I noticed on the lower right corner of the screen. However, after messing around with some settings, the ips glow (red) appeared on the left side as well. Not as obvious as on the right side, but is definitely noticeable looking directly at the monitor.
3. The coating of the monitor is exactly the same as on Dell U2410.
4. Colors are the same as on Dell U2410.
5. I am finding really strange how some colors look, and why reds are so dark pink, why greens are so unnatural and why blues tend to be turquoise. I noticed this also on Dell U2410, is this a problem of calibration?
6. Blacks are not black enough indeed.
7. Text is more easy to read then on my Samsung S24A350h, but even if I achieve enough details for black and white in test images, I find it really strange that this screen also forces me to make the screen too bright in order to have enough contrast to read text comfortably. But obviously, after a while, due to too much brightness I get eye strain.

Is there any monitor out there that can do enough contrast between black and white without being forced to raise the brightness to a level where I get eye strain from it? Contrast is what I should look for?

Now the real problems: After 30 minutes of usage, the monitor started to black out for 4-5 seconds, displaying the Asus logo, and then coming back. If I change the rgb offset values, the monitor starts to black out very often, I barely have time to change back the value in tgb offset that it gives me another black screen. I tried vga to vga, minihdmi to hdmi, dvi to hdmi, dvi to dvi with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 560, and I wasn't able to stop him from giving me black screens. Reinstalled drivers, etc. Probably next step is to reinstall my Windows 7 64 bit. After I messed around with rgb gain and offset, I started to get really strange looking images. After I reset the monitor settings to defaults, I am not unable to change to other preset then User Mode. Either one I choose, I get black screen, and is not recovering from it until I change back to user mode. Also, when changing gamma, in the settings of the User mode, I get again black screen.

Any advice about what to do to fix this problems? ( Colors being wrong, contrast/brightness not being good enough for reading text comfortably, and the black screen with logo issue). Time is limited, and I will need to know If i ask for a RMA from Asus or I send it back to Amazon. Any help is much appreciated.

5.) The U2410 and PA246Q are wide gamut displays, hence the unnatural colours
6.) The U2410 and PA246Q both have very poor contrast across all ranges of brightness <700:1

No one can tell you what will cause you eye strain.

Any A-MVA panel, such as the BenQ GW2450HM or Samsung S24A650D will offer at least 3x the contrast (2,500:1+) compared to the PA246Q at half the price. These A-MVA panels also use a much lighter matte coating and are also sRGB rather than wide gamut. A wide gamut display is a waste of money for games, movies and reading text.

The Dell U2412hm and HP ZR2440w are sRGB (natural colours, games and movies are sRGB) 1200p IPS, typically with contrast around 1000:1

I don't have a PA246Q so I can't help you with the other issues, but it sounds like you should return it.

The problem is that I don't care if a monitor can achieve 1 bilion contrast ratio when going with brightness to 100%, and it looks like staring at the sun...
What I really want is a monitor that can do a decent contrast ratio at 120 cd/m2, preferably 90 cd/m2.
Also, going with contrast to 100 to achieve better contrast is just wrong, as you will loose all details in the white color.

Is there any monitor, that can maintain all blacks/whites details, that can go under 100 luminance, and still have good contrast ratio under this specifications?

Also, are A-MVA any good for gaming?

With Asus PA246Q I can't really notice any input lag, or anyway, I could not tell if is the very small delay that comes from video card. My final thoughts about input lag is that is not an issue for this monitor.
Ghosting is another story. On a 2 ms TN Panel you do notice it a bit, but is so small that even if you notice it you can still see pretty clear the surroundings while looking around in fps game. Can't say the same thing with a 6 ms GtG response time. Is actually noticeable and it does bother me to some extent.

Last edited:
Any A-MVA panel will have very high contrast at the lower lumiance you desire, typically >2,000:1

The BenQ GW2750HM is a very fast A-MVA panel....it should be great for gaming and the unit playerwares reviewed had a contrast ratio of 4,900:1.

http://www.playwares.com/xe/maingame/23283703

Use google chrome to translate. There's also a 24" model.

Anyone been able to compare the ghosting/blurring specifically between Dell U2412m, HP ZR2440w and Asus PA246Q? A comparison with Asus would be really handy so I know if I wait for newer technologies or not.

Also, the Benq GW series have 1920x1080 resolution for both 24 and 27 inch, which I don't really like. The 4 ms GtG seems tempting though.

PRAD.de has English reviews of all of those displays and they have measured the actual response times, head over there and look at the response time sections.

Is there any SPVA/MVA Monitor or whatever other variation of this technology, that has ghosting/blurring comparable with a 2 ms TN Panel (Samsung s24a350h for example)?

Just noticed that when I go in the Color menu when I have user Mode selected and I change gamma from 2.2 to 1.8, the image disapears. When I get into RGB gain menu, I can see all values as high as 206(max is 100 though). The image appears back only when one of the R,G,B components is taken under 100.
Also, whenever I select a mode other then "User mode" I get the image disappearing, only OSD being visible. I can assume is the same problem as when I change gamma, but since I don't have access to Advanced color settings to modify the RGB Gain values, I can't make the image appear back.
I can assume that this happened when I pressed reset all settings, after I played a bit with the RGB Gain and Offset.
Anyone knows anything that can help? Maybe a firmware update is needed to fix this problem but can't find any.

Last edited:
Back