ASUS PA246Q: 24-inch, 1920x1200, IPS

They don't bother me. I'm posting the image for senna89 since he/she expressed concern over text clarity. Here's another pic. My camera had a bit of a problem focusing and the moire pattern was its fault.

Last edited:
There is no moire pattern to be seen with the naked eye. It's an artifact from my camera for some reason.

Senna89 it has no trouble on text at all. I sit on it reading stuff for hours myself. The only negative thing I saw when switching from a S-PVA was the loss of black detail as a result of the dark glow(only bothersome while playing dark games) . Though I had tried out the ZR24W before this one and that actually had it worse. So id say the PA246Q is a more improved IPS compared to whats out there.

Though if you are just reading text, why not get something cheaper?

Screw it, my birthday is next week and i've been wanting a 24" for a good, long while since I sold my Dell 2405 years ago. Got $50 off promo code from newegg and free 3 day UPS shipping, happy birthday to me! :cool:

Bill Me Later rocks :D

Screw it, my birthday is next week and i've been wanting a 24" for a good, long while since I sold my Dell 2405 years ago. Got $50 off promo code from newegg and free 3 day UPS shipping, happy birthday to me! :cool:

Bill Me Later rocks :D

I currently have a 2405WFP but have been looking at replacing it/getting a 2nd monitor. I'm curious how the Asus compares to the Dell. Let us know.

Cant help you there Senna. You would be best finding a way to try it out yourself. If your able to get it from Amazon, they have a excellent return policy.

I just started playing Fear 3. My black levels are horrid and I guess the contrast ratio too. Any idea on how I can make it any better? Its really hard to see....

I decided to keep the PA246Q. Plugged in my P-MVA one last time to compare and it seems it too has a similar 'ghosting' issue that I hadn't noticed the last 5 years. Methinks maybe I noticed it on the IPS mainly because I was sensitized by being warned about it on this type of panel in advance. The colours are definitely more vibrant on the P-IPS though the blacks are not as black. Anyway the BenQ FP241W is now sold and already picked up and installed on my friend's computer. :)

senna89,

Here's a pic of your page and a video uploaded to Youtube also. Hope these help. This is in Standard Mode, brightness 30, contrast 80.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LE7i7pCQYM"]YouTube - ‪PA246Q‬‏[/ame]

Go to the Youtube page to see the video in 720P.

Last edited:
Does it truly display 76 frames per second, as oppose to 60 frames of other IPS? Or does it drop 1 out of 5 frames to down scale 75 Hz to 60 Hz?

I assume that if your graphics card supports 76Hz refresh rate you can just set it to that and the monitor will simply refresh at 76Hz. Or if you want, you could just set it to 60Hz and the monitor will only refresh at 60Hz. I am sure it does not need to drop or create frames. Can anyone with an LCD that can do >60Hz confirm?

I like that it does 76Hz refresh.
Does it truly display 76 frames per second, as oppose to 60 frames of other IPS? Or does it drop 1 out of 5 frames to down scale 75 Hz to 60 Hz?
I assume that if your graphics card supports 76Hz refresh rate you can just set it to that and the monitor will simply refresh at 76Hz. Or if you want, you could just set it to 60Hz and the monitor will only refresh at 60Hz. I am sure it does not need to drop or create frames. Can anyone with an LCD that can do >60Hz confirm?

What's all this then? Are we talking about forcing hz on analog? Because the monitor does not report anything over 60hz being available via edid, nor have I ever seen such a figure represented in any documentation. My previous monitor (1280x1024 Samsung 940BF) reported 75hz and had it available through graphics driver's GUI. Not so on the PA246Q.

Sometimes newegg specs report a refresh rate that is not available at max resolution. Like 75vhz which really ends up being @ 1280x1024 when the monitor max is 1920x1080. Is that what we're talking about? Because those are just dummy numbers.

Ugly™

What's all this then? Are we talking about forcing hz on analog? Because the monitor does not report anything over 60hz being available via edid, nor have I ever seen such a figure represented in any documentation. My previous monitor (1280x1024 Samsung 940BF) reported 75hz and had it available through graphics driver's GUI. Not so on the PA246Q.

Sometimes newegg specs report a refresh rate that is not available at max resolution. Like 75vhz which really ends up being @ 1280x1024 when the monitor max is 1920x1080. Is that what we're talking about? Because those are just dummy numbers.

Ugly™

Ok, thanks for straightening that out. I read in the specs that it could do 76Hz, but it must have been at reduced resolution, like you said.

Totally used to playing Oblivion on the PA246Q now. Very happy. :)

Me too. Please nobody hit me for fading off topic, but have you tried the Morrowind mod for Oblivion? I've played through OOO and FCOM, and this Morrwind mod is by far my favorite overhaul mod. Any fan of the TES series needs to try it. Maybe my favorite TES experience ever (I adored Morrowind, but that combat system was shit).

Ugly™

Became aware of this some time ago but I haven't tried it. :) What monitor mode do you prefer when gaming?

Became aware of this some time ago but I haven't tried it. :) What monitor mode do you prefer when gaming?

I've been using Adobe RGB for everything lately, really great all around setting on my unit. My SRGB seems to have a red tint that is reminiscent of CRT TVs, and is a good option for skin tones in movies/TV, but annoying on most other content. In "User" mode it seems like every setting has tradeoffs and I can't quite find a balance I'm happy with. Scenery and Theater seem like gimmick modes that aren't useful. And Standard is just bland compared to Adobe RGB.

I've wondered whether Asus's response time compensation scheme (trace free) is on this model and if it's set differently in one or all modes. IDK if some measure of response time compensation is necessary to get an IPS to 6ms, but it seems likely.

I've also switched to HDMI after I read that DVI is supposedly hard locked to 24 bits, 8 bits per pixel. On paper it seems this would hinder a 10 bit panel and 12 bit reference table. HDMI 1.3+ does not have this (admittedly) "on paper" limitation.

Ugly™

Have you guys installed the Windows 7 driver that comes on the CD with the user manual? I'm wary of installing it as the monitor currently works great without it and I tend to be in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' clan.:confused:

Ok, thanks for straightening that out. I read in the specs that it could do 76Hz, but it must have been at reduced resolution, like you said.

the specs don't have to mean anything
always needs to be tested by a experienced user to be sure

Snagged an open-box one of these off of Newegg last week. I'd been eying it for a while, but last week I had to take the risk despite the prevalent issues not only with this monitor, but those inherent with open-box items- for $312 shipped with a colour calibrator? I'll take the gamble.

Arrived a couple days ago, set it up and turned it on, thought everything was perfect, but then I noticed on black, dark gray and very dark brown colours, there's a small area near the upper left corner that has some widely spaced pixels that only display as red. They aren't 'stuck' in the traditional sense since they go away on any other colours than the above mentioned. My guess is that the liquid underneath isn't spread well enough, because if I push around the sides of the area the pixels change to the appropriate colour. I don't find it terribly bothersome since it's only on those colours, and only particularly noticable if there aren't any brighter colours surrounding it to lessen the effect. The AG coating isn't bad, and I've already gotten used to it.

That said, for $312 I love it. This is my first non-TN display and I couldn't be happier with it, especially for the price and outcome.

PA246Q <3!

Sorry to hear that. :( Mine was officially open-box too as it was the one on display in the store. Only problem was a couple of easily wiped-off fingerprints on the screen..

Can you just RMA it back to ASUS under the no bright pixel policy? If so that would seem to be the best option.

I could RMA it, but to me it isn't a particular bother atm. I also don't need to spend any more money on stuff I don't entirely need. Should've waited to purchase this, but I I didn't and so be it.

I've got time to RMA it and I'm in no rush.

As an example, browsing on [H] right now, I can't see the defect. Ace! :cool:

Snagged an open-box one of these off of Newegg last week. I'd been eying it for a while, but last week I had to take the risk despite the prevalent issues not only with this monitor, but those inherent with open-box items- for $312 shipped with a colour calibrator? I'll take the gamble.

Arrived a couple days ago, set it up and turned it on, thought everything was perfect, but then I noticed on black, dark gray and very dark brown colours, there's a small area near the upper left corner that has some widely spaced pixels that only display as red. They aren't 'stuck' in the traditional sense since they go away on any other colours than the above mentioned. My guess is that the liquid underneath isn't spread well enough, because if I push around the sides of the area the pixels change to the appropriate colour. I don't find it terribly bothersome since it's only on those colours, and only particularly noticable if there aren't any brighter colours surrounding it to lessen the effect. The AG coating isn't bad, and I've already gotten used to it.

That said, for $312 I love it. This is my first non-TN display and I couldn't be happier with it, especially for the price and outcome.

PA246Q <3!

Try using a different mode (sRGB?) to see if that makes this defect less noticeable to your eyes.

First thing I did was switch it to sRGB because that's what I need to use. It's not any different between modes anyhow. It's not a problem that occurs because of colour curves. I'm happy with the monitor.

I used to use sRGB, but you cannot adjust contrast when you have that option selected. Alternatively set it to standard mode and set your video card to use the EDID settings. That way you can try to see if you can increase the contrast setting without letting the whites get washed out. I was able to get to 85.

Can anyone comment on this screen for L4D and SC2?
Concerned about ghosting in L4d and input lag for SC2.

Back