ASUS PA246Q: 24-inch, 1920x1200, IPS

The new method uses an oscilloscope with photo sensors for response time and input lag measurement. Regarding the input lag the "control signal" is used as basis point.

Best regards

Denis

wowsers so much technical stuff. I just bought it and like it. But from a professional standpoint I can see how it matters and to whom it would matter. Most hard core, really hard core, gamers are younger and cant necessarily afford this higher priced displays. (Not everyone of course). So a little 20ms input lag doesn't hurt my older less sensitive retinas haha I'd rather have a bit more color, less eye strain, and easier text reading, that is capable of playing FPS games with-in my sensitivity to motion range rather than some 120hz ultra fast washed out performance only TN.

Thanks!

One H member just PM'd that he likes the ZR24W better than the Asus for his own particular reasons. He owns both.

Good lord. Is there a reason that the post could not be shared here, instead of sent as a private message? Especially knowing that so many people are waiting for exactly this comparison?

Sheesh, kinda the whole point of forums.

Good lord. Is there a reason that the post could not be shared here, instead of sent as a private message? Especially knowing that so many people are waiting for exactly this comparison?

Sheesh, kinda the whole point of forums.

ahah. this just made me laugh so hard because it's so true.

lol no biggie at all. If I hadn't said that would we have wasted the last 3-5 post on this alone?

Anyways...

Prad gave this LCD a 'Good rating" 4/5 stars/

It only got good because the OSD is not that great. It seems that they were harping on some very trivial stuff. But I have it and its a really nice panel. Just wish it were about 70 cheaper.

Last edited:
Just read a review on Newegg that states ASUS does not have a zero bright pixel policy for the PA246Q. Disappointing...but not surprising. ASUS has never been known for their customer service.

For what it's worth, Amazon has an excellent 30 day return policy and Buy.com has a 45 day return policy (you just need to pay for return shipping). I'll probably buy my PA246Q from one of these retailers. Like everyone else, I'm just waiting for 1 or 2 solid reviews.

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know who interested in this display that the PA246Q now carries a ZBD (Zero Bright Dot) replacement policy. You can contact ASUS customer service at 812-282-2787 for my details.

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know who interested in this display that the PA246Q now carries a ZBD (Zero Bright Dot) replacement policy. You can contact ASUS customer service at 812-282-2787 for my details.

This is awesome if true.

Can you post something in writing or a link to an official clause on their site stating this? We are hopeful. I personally do not want to call right now.

FWIW, the three I ordered from Amazon a few weeks ago were perfect. Very minimal backlight issues and zero bright/stuck/dead pixels on any of the panels.

I have had the PA246Q for a bit now and have done alot of testing on the colors. I THOUGHT using a camera (not a good one) that the input lag was about 20-40, but im still able to get ace on BFBC2 as usual. My old display was the S-PVA Gateway FPD2485W, one of the better ones out there.

I bought the ZR24W first and immediately HATED the black levels of IPS panels. No matter the brightness levels, everything dark was noticeably blending in and detail was lost. My gateway died because of blown caps so I had no choice, but to get a new one. I also hated the glow on the bottom left. That plus 2 dead pixels caused me to return it.

In terms of black level the PA246Q despite the reviews seems a bit better, but still not nearly as good as my S-PVA (RIP). It does have noticeable AG coating causing white screens to sparkle a bit. Annoying but I guess I can deal with it. On a black screen the black glow is not as bad as the ZR24W (did I mention I miss my good ol PVA?) as im currently using 25 brightness. I plan to try to turn it down further, but I can only go so far til its too dark for me to tolerate.

In all aspects, besides the AG coating and input lag I can say the PA246Q is BETTER, if thats what you guys are wondering.

I thoroughly read the prad.de review and was comparing their findings to my display. The BIG ISSUE that they had that shows that U2410 shares same electronics was the USER SETTING linear color uniformity. These issues do not exist on standard and other options (I use sRGB+ calibration). Glow uniformity is fine, but what I think they mean is something that might have happened to me while I was calibrating as well. USER option is the only way to get to the RGB gain and offset options, but when I tried to perfectly match the RGB sliders to be perfect + calibration, I still had noticeable color issues. The biggest of all being that solid RED colors would be borderline orange or unnecessarily bright.

If im not just being a noob about it, and its not the fact that I should have been using sRGB in the first place (I thought it was that I was using a wide gamut setting and it was off for my color depth, according to xbitlabs) , then I may still need to check out the standard settings, because sRGB doesnt even allow me to mess with contrast, only brightness and nothing else.

This isnt a well written review, but I have been reading this thread for a while and I felt you deserved to know my experiences. No dead pixels btw so all good there.

If you have any questions please ask.

Has anyone managed to access service menu on this monitor? On older ASUS monitors service menu can be accessed like this: power off, hold menu button while powering on, release menu button when picture appears and then press menu button again. So, for you guys that already have this monitor and are willing to do it, can you try this combo to see if it works? And if it works, can you post a screen shot of the service menu that appears.

The Asus PA246Q has some darn fine color output for sure. But you know what, it still cant hang with my Panny Plasma VT25 in color production. LOL serious.

Anyways im here to update that the price on these LCDs seems to be increasing a few dollars over the last week and a half. I almost bet its the market reacting to Japan disaster and the flow of solid Japanese caps and other components.

I have been comparing the PA246Q and U2410 to upgrade my existing monitor and have found this site to be very helpful. I have been compiling spec info and all the pros/cons between these two monitors and came across a curious point about the PA246Q driver. Apparently, Asus only offers a Win 7 driver on their installation CD and on their site. If you're running XP, the installation picks the 'Generic PnP driver' from XP.

I wrote Asus and asked them if they planned to release an XP version driver and this is the reply I received.

"Our LCD monitors is Plug&Play in Win2K / WinXP / Vista 32bit / Vista 64bit/Windows 7/Windows 7 64bit. So it doesn't need LCD monitor driver. You could use this monitor in default settings in your operation system with the standard resolution. The driver on the website is just for Security Catalog & ICC profile & Setup Information. In theory, the monitor will work normally in Win7 without the driver. So there is no plan for XP."

I am a bit confused by the response regarding 'the driver on the website is just for Security Catalog & ICC profile & Setup Information'. Does this mean that people running OS earlier than Win 7 will not have full access to all the monitors capabilities? Will it impact the ability to calibrate the monitor?

Appreciate any comments or insight into this.

So far the text doesn't look too good in vga on my dell 700m laptop or older Compaq Presario.. There is some ghosting in text. Have tried new vga cable, but no luck. Disappointed in this because I have an old Samsung syncmaster that has better text in vga on these.
BTW...went through 2 of these monitors before I got one with no dead pixels.

I have been comparing the PA246Q and U2410 to upgrade my existing monitor and have found this site to be very helpful. I have been compiling spec info and all the pros/cons between these two monitors and came across a curious point about the PA246Q driver. Apparently, Asus only offers a Win 7 driver on their installation CD and on their site. If you're running XP, the installation picks the 'Generic PnP driver' from XP.

I wrote Asus and asked them if they planned to release an XP version driver and this is the reply I received.

"Our LCD monitors is Plug&Play in Win2K / WinXP / Vista 32bit / Vista 64bit/Windows 7/Windows 7 64bit. So it doesn't need LCD monitor driver. You could use this monitor in default settings in your operation system with the standard resolution. The driver on the website is just for Security Catalog & ICC profile & Setup Information. In theory, the monitor will work normally in Win7 without the driver. So there is no plan for XP."

I am a bit confused by the response regarding 'the driver on the website is just for Security Catalog & ICC profile & Setup Information'. Does this mean that people running OS earlier than Win 7 will not have full access to all the monitors capabilities? Will it impact the ability to calibrate the monitor?

Appreciate any comments or insight into this.

A monitor equipped with EDID (all modern monitors) does not require a driver.

Hey guys finaly this monitor shows up on the newegg LG E2370V-BF Black 23" IPS Panel Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor
It was adverties as gaming ips panel. The resolution is not x 1200 and its 23" and not 24" but originaly it was expected to have a price of 400.00
and now its 260 dollars whay do you think? I was gonna get pa246q but held off because of the pixel issues with everyother monitor it seems. and now asus changed the policy but this baby (e2370v) shows up at half the price. I need best gaming monitor but money as always is certanly a factor as well. Thanks for any advise.

Last edited:
I want to use this monitor with a couple of vga cards: dell laptop 700m, Compaq Presario 6326se desktop. Both have intel 845/855 chipsets with integrated video. The vga input on this monitor displays white ghost with text. It is really hard to look at. I can display these devices on an old Syncmaster lcd and have no ghosting. I have tried new vga cord, installing the PA246Q on another vga system with a little better vga card (still some shadow with ati all in one 9200), installing new chipset drivers and video drivers on the compaq. Basically it looks like this lcd will not display vga well.

Anyone else having this problem and is there something I can do before sending this back??? (I really don't want to...such a pain!)

No shadow on digital interfaces.

Unrelated to you, they nee to phase out DB15 VGA all together.

Hey guys finaly this monitor shows up on the newegg LG E2370V-BF Black 23" IPS Panel Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor
It was adverties as gaming ips panel. The resolution is not x 1200 and its 23" and not 24" but originaly it was expected to have a price of 400.00
and now its 260 dollars whay do you think? I was gonna get pa246q but held off because of the pixel issues with everyother monitor it seems. and now asus changed the policy but this baby (e2370v) shows up at half the price. I need best gaming monitor but money as always is certanly a factor as well. Thanks for any advise.

3 in a row from Amazon not a single problem.

I wouldnt judge this LCD ()PA246Q) on the few bad apples that are reported here. Think of the hundreds of H members that did get one and didnt report anything because they had no problems.

Sure would like to know how e2370v compares to pa246q. Is 250 dollar extra worh it, and
e2370v was advertiesed as IPS GAMING monitor.

I have to get my 3rd GPU in my system so I can get even higher FPS in games in eyefinity.

5760x1200 is actually a lot of resolution to push.

Anybody know what type of a desktop mount these would work with? I'm guessing they're too big for the ergotron neo flex, but what about the LX? MX?

Got tired of waiting for U2711 to go back on sale, so bought one of these. Arrived today, no dead pixels, maybe a slight more back light glow from the lower right side but nothing major, and anti-glare doesn't bother me at all :cool:

Got this monitor yesterday to replace the good old HP LP2065. The first impressions are very positive. Going from a 20" (1600x1200) to 24" (1920x1200) it's a bigger improvement than I expected.

Wow, I just "read" the PA246Q review on prad.de but my german is as week as the google tranlate (no english version is avalable on prad.de yet), so I am not really sure if I got it right: Is it possible to run the panel at 24Hz? (I mean real 24Hz, not like the U2410 which receives 24Hz but displays 60Hz with 2:3 FRC...)

It would be very surprising as it seems like this ASUS display is basically a new Dell U2410 revision. (It has the same buggy Custom mode, ect...)
The judder-free Blu-Ray playback would be a nice feature.

And another question: Is there a user-accessible Service Menu to control the WP of the Standard and sRGB modes (just like with the U2410)? (It would be a drawback if not...)

My Asus PA246Q came in yesterday. I am running it at 1920x1200@60Hz through an HDMI to DVI adapter on my laptop, until I get a HDMI to HDMI cable. Laptop has HDMI but nVidia drivers see it as DVI, probably because of the adapter.

There is pratically no backlight bleed with this monitor. If those two bright dots weren't there it would be perfect. The blue and red subpixels on the very same pixel are always bright. I contacted ASUS support for a replacement. I was told for the monitor to be replaced it must have at least three bright dots. I told them the warranty policy for this monitor chaged to zero bright dot. But they don't have that information yet. So I must return the monitor to the store were I bought it for a replacement or a refund.

I also noticed this monitor is detected as Ancor Communications PA246 in Windows. Stange! One other thing I noticed is that this monitor sucks 75 W of power.

Last edited:
the right extreme of my Asus PA246Q panel seems to be red or pink. Is there any way to correct this?

My panel uniformity is pretty good. No dead pixels, but its hard for me to get used to the IPS glow. Games with low lighting I have to squint to see some things. Already at like 30 brightness. Though my VA panel was better in those ways, it had a huge problem with overdrive overshoot.

My Asus PA246Q came in yesterday. I am running it at 1920x1200@60Hz through an HDMI to DVI adapter on my laptop, until I get a HDMI to HDMI cable. Laptop has HDMI but nVidia drivers see it as DVI, probably because of the adapter.

There is piratically no backlight bleed with this monitor. If those two bright dots weren't there it would be perfect. The blue and red subpixels on the very same pixel are always bright. I contacted ASUS support for a replacement. I was told for the monitor to be replaced it must have at least three bright dots. I told them the warranty policy for this monitor chaged to zero bright dot. But they don't have that information yet. So I must return the monitor to the store were I bought it for a replacement or a refund.

I also noticed this monitor is detected as Ancor Communications PA246 in Windows. Stange! One other thing I noticed is that this monitor sucks 75 W of power.

Did you run a stuck pixel app over the area? Worth a try.

My panel uniformity is pretty good. No dead pixels, but its hard for me to get used to the IPS glow. Games with low lighting I have to squint to see some things. Already at like 30 brightness. Though my VA panel was better in those ways, it had a huge problem with overdrive overshoot.

I notice the IPS glow even when I am right in front of the monitor. With lights in the room turned off.

Back