ASUS PA246Q: 24-inch, 1920x1200, IPS

If you take one thing away from the thread, let it be this!

Yeah right now this whole thread is speculation. We have to wait. Now the Egg sold out of these things the other day and I KNOW there has to be atleast one of those screens that went to a [H] member.

So someone time to friggin write some stuff about your new Asus IPS here immediately haha.

:p

I'm considering pulling the trigger on 3 of them right now. Curious to see some reviews, but everything I've seen makes them appear decent. I'm rocking 3 U2410's right now that would go to the kid to replace his 2007's. We're a happy monitor family. :)

Hrm...I could use the 2007's for a stack row for 6 monitors.....hrm...

Does anyone know if these ship with a display port cable or should I buy one?

Looks like it includes the DP cable. At any rate, they're enroute...I'll let you guys know what I think and get some pics up when they're installed.

asusmonitor.JPG

Got mine today, don't have time for a review but will answer any quick questions. The sRGB emulation seems legit, there is no over saturation on any color whatsoever. While in this mode though you can only adjust the brightess and sharpness, but the color and contrast defaults seem optimal. No backlight bleed or dead pixels. Very minimal contrast shift, much better than my old e-ips. I don't play many games so can't really offer a solid opinion on input lag.

Got mine today, don't have time for a review but will answer any quick questions. The sRGB emulation seems legit, there is no over saturation on any color whatsoever. While in this mode though you can only adjust the brightess and sharpness, but the color and contrast defaults seem optimal. No backlight bleed or dead pixels. Very minimal contrast shift, much better than my old e-ips. I don't play many games so can't really offer a solid opinion on input lag.

Thanks and please fill us in with your impressions of other areas too.

What is your other E-IPS model? Could you look at MS Word or Itunes and compare the AG coating? Is there any tinting on a full white screen? Glowing corners (yellow/purple from IPS glow)?

Response time picture from PixerPixAn would be nice too if you have a camera that you can set the Shutter Speed to 1/100 second.

Oh snap, Amazon just changed my delivery date from Monday to today. <3 me some Prime. :)

For the record, I'm no display expert, but I'll get them hooked up and try to provide whatever info/tests you guys want.

Have been waiting to hear how you like the Anus monitor. Glad to hear that you like it. I am in much the same position you were before you purchased the Anus.

I am trying to decide between the Dell U2410 (currently on sale for $449) and the Anus PA246Q, both are supposed to be excellent monitors.

Since it is brand new there is not any customer info out there yet. Did you notice any of the color fringing reported on the U2410 (supposed to be fixed now per Dell). Is the color rgb/srgb accurate?

Now that you have the monitor is there anything else you can tell us? I will be using with LR and CS5 for photography editing.

I can't go see the monitors to decide, will be buying via the internet. How would Newegg handle a return if you decided you didn't like it? I think Dell has a 30 day return. Do they both have a 3yr warranty? No dead pixel return? Would you purchase the U2410 @ $449 or would you purchase the Anus?

ROFL

Anus Monitor? Once is typing error, twice I can excuse, three times makes it a new Company. :D

I think the two biggest things I'd like to see are response time and input lag (the first more so).

It's about time ASUS made a monitor with something other than a TN panel. Now, price?

What is your other E-IPS model? Could you look at MS Word or Itunes and compare the AG coating? Is there any tinting on a full white screen? Glowing corners (yellow/purple from IPS glow)?

Response time picture from PixerPixAn would be nice too if you have a camera that you can set the Shutter Speed to 1/100 second.

Previous monitor was NEC 2490WUXI(2), before that Samsung 214t. The AG coating is not very aggressive, there is no noticeable tint or sparkly effect that I can see. Obviously there is some glow being an IPS as you shift to a non center angle, but it is not noticeable on anything but a pure black background. Where as the effect would be noticeable on the NEC on nearly any color.

Even though I'd recommend it, I would suggest anyone interested in this monitor buy it from Amazon since they offer full returns without restocking fees. $20 more than the Egg but, trust me, the no questions asked return policy of Amazon is gold.

Meh, it looks like a step up from some of the other cheaper IPS displays out there, so I'm sure it'll be ideal for some... But wide gamut and that super thick bezel kinda kill it for me (ruins it for 3x portrait mode). Looks like I'm still going w/2x ZR24W's to round out my Eyefinity setup.

Meh, it looks like a step up from some of the other cheaper IPS displays out there, so I'm sure it'll be ideal for some... But wide gamut and that super thick bezel kinda kill it for me (ruins it for 3x portrait mode). Looks like I'm still going w/2x ZR24W's to round out my Eyefinity setup.

The more I look at the Asus the more I am thinking of still going with my original plan for zr24w's .

Unless the Asus has superior black levels over the ZR its not looking worth the extra 100 dollars for me right now.

Its currently more expensive than the ZR24W and appears similarly equipped.

The ZR24W uses a less expensive e-IPS panel (I believe the 8-bit version) while, the Asus PA246Q uses a H-IPS panel (or p-IPS as LG Display prefer to refer to it as).

Well, I doubt that this monitor is better than my Dell U2410. The warranty is probably pain in the ass with ASUS, so I don't know if this worth it. Let's wait for reviews.

Well, I doubt that this monitor is better than my Dell U2410. The warranty is probably pain in the ass with ASUS, so I don't know if this worth it. Let's wait for reviews.

I've got 3xU2410's and got three of these to check them out, as I really dislike the 2410's glare coating. Here's the unbox for one of them:

asus01.jpg

The first thing you see when you open the box is the color testing report:

asus02.jpg

asus03.jpg

They also included a cable tie, which isn't exactly a huge value, I thought it was a nice touch.

asus04.jpg

asus05.jpg

asus06.jpg

I was kind of surprised that there was no peel off protector for the screen itself, but it was bagged on styrofoam and the screen is a bit recessed.

asus07.jpg

This thing is definitely up there in the thickness department...

asus08.jpg

I'll get some more up after dinner. :)

Awesome unboxing showcase. I cant wait to hear from you on your actual in use impressions.

Thanks for the great pics. Were staying tuned. Btw I like your sig.

OK...well I haven't had a lot of time to play with them. I have to say I definitely prefer the aesthetics of the 2410's, but that's really a personal thing. My biggest turn-offs are printed words on the display that can't be removed, and the ProArt printing up there in the top left looks like it would take some chemical work to take off if I really wanted to. I could also do w/o the red lines, but honestly sitting in front of the things that all goes to the background anyway. :)

Another dislike would be the lack of a pass through on the included stands, but I've been meaning to get a nice mount anyway.

So here's a pic of the whole setup:

asus10.jpg

My camera isn't the latest and greatest, so the pics are what you get. ;) Setting up some basic colors in photoshop, I really couldn't discern a color difference between all three of the panels:

asus09.jpg

I'm going to do some game testing and see how they play, but so far while I can't call them any huge improvement over the 2410's. The glare coating though seems to be MUCH better on these. I'll wait for a final statement for when I have some daylight to put on them, but so far I think I like this coating substantially more. I am getting a very marginally better impression on these for now, particularly in the color calibration, but I think I'll have better eyes when the newness wears off. I had meant to do some side-by-side w/the 2410's but forgot and they're already in use in my son's room...I'll have to wait until he's drugged and sleeping to sneak one out. :D

Again, I AM NOT a display expert, I just have a lot of disposable income and thought I'd give these a whirl. :p

If there's anything specific you want me to do please ask. My D70 kind of had a misfortune at the beach last week though, so I'm stuck w/my old Canon S3 for photographs right now, so keep that in mind. ;)

Last edited:
Can you set camera speed shutter speed to 1/100th second to take a picture of the response time in the PixerPixAn program?

A picture of an all black screen in the dark would be nice too.

Update: Can you link me too your awesome desktop background?

Last edited:
What are black levels like, vs. the 2410? Going to be making a 24" decision soon myself, and I'd *really* like something with black levels that are much lower than those on my 2209WA.

Again, completely subjective here but I think the black levels are pretty much the same.

Here's a 100% black image across all 3. The "bright pixels" you see are actually lens defects. Click the picture for full size.

Can you set camera speed shutter speed to 1/100th second to take a picture of the response time in the PixerPixAn program?

Could you be a bit more specific? I saw several tests available, which one are you looking for?

I wouldn't be surprised if Asus builds U2410s for Dell and these are essentially the Asus version.

Could you be a bit more specific? I saw several tests available, which one are you looking for?

For my resposne time picture like the LG W2442PA I use these settings:

F-Stop f/5.5
Exposure time 1/100th sec
Iso 1600
Exposure Bias 0
Aperature 4.9

I'm no camera expert so choosing these settings was kind of random. Maybe some one else wants to chime in with some advice. You can also DL my image, right click my image and see the settings.

Did you take the backlight pictures at full brightness/default color presets? If so they looks very promising assuming the default brightness is over 200cdm/2

The uniformity on the 'black' screens is very good; much better than my dell 22inch. No clue if the u2410 are that good but they seem to suggest almost no backlight bleed (perhaps due to the wide bazel?)

Back