Asus PA238Q - 23" IPS

@NCX: Do you know if BasICColor's result is valid since it is giving me weird target values. Do I need to set up target value somewhere?

You can change all of the target values under the settings tab.

Contrast ratio of 600.

Another unit with low contrast, LG needs to step up their quality control.

having a TN and ips side by side the difference is really unnoticeable "for me" especially sitting in a right angle to the monitor with the display height adjusted properly.

People love to over hype ad exaggerate the image quality differences between TN and IPS panels.
comparison001.jpg

Untitled.png

btw: are there any better calibration software than i1 profiler for i1 display pro?
Untill BasICColor 5 comes out us i1dp users are kind of out of luck. I believe Callman and Spectracal work but you would have to do some research to verify if they do yet.

The blacks/corners tinted purple off angle on mine, but it wasn't visible head on and there was no head on glow either (lights on). Only a little bit of white bleeding was visible on the top right edges (vertical+horizontal) with the lights on but it wasn't in the corner like typical IPS glow. With the lights off the corners didn't glow either, except for the area with bleeding.

GOW3comparison038-1.jpg

The bottom left glows since I took the picture off angle. When viewed head on every thing except for the top right looked like the top left and bottom right corners.

Viewing Angles
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-asus-pa238q-teil6.html

would you recommend getting this LED?

This is a good IPS in many ways. Good build quality, lots of accessories but it's like most IPS it suffers from it's draw back mentioned by other users on the forum. For me the low contrast ratio is a big flaw and I am thinking to return it. Because for gaming and watching movies low contrast really bother me more than inaccurate color and viewing angle. Everything looks so dark and washout compare to my 1000 contrast ratio TN beside me. So for general purpose I WOLD NOT recommend this monitor.

For photo editing and such I WOULD NOT recommend this monitor as well. 23" with 16:9 is too narrow for the purpose while you can get 16:10 24" for a bit more money.

In my opinion, this monitor is targeting customers who are not sure what they want. It is targeting the customers who want all the features but unfortunately is is not doing well in any of them!!!

You can change all of the target values under the settings tab.

Another unit with low contrast, LG needs to step up their quality control.

People love to over hype ad exaggerate the image quality differences between TN and IPS panels.
comparison001.jpg

Untitled.png

Untill BasICColor 5 comes out us i1dp users are kind of out of luck. I believe Callman and Spectracal work but you would have to do some research to verify if they do yet.

Which one is the IPS panel? left or right monitor?

This is a good IPS in many ways. Good build quality, lots of accessories but it's like most IPS it suffers from it's draw back mentioned by other users on the forum. For me the low contrast ratio is a big flaw and I am thinking to return it. Because for gaming and watching movies low contrast really bother me more than inaccurate color and viewing angle. Everything looks so dark and washout compare to my 1000 contrast ratio TN beside me. So for general purpose I WOLD NOT recommend this monitor.

For photo editing and such I WOULD NOT recommend this monitor as well. 23" with 16:9 is too narrow for the purpose while you can get 16:10 24" for a bit more money.

In my opinion, this monitor is targeting customers who are not sure what they want. It is targeting the customers who want all the features but unfortunately is is not doing well in any of them!!!

wow I was about to buy the Asus IPs 23" LED monitor too...looks like I might stick with my Samsung 23" LED TN panel? or buy a 120Hz TN panel? Like the Asus VG236HE, 23" 3D 120Hz LCD Monitor, 1920x1080, 2ms, 100000:1(DCR), Dual DVI-D, HDMI

Last edited:

I only recommend it if you are dead set on owning an IPS panel and don't have or think it is worth it to spend 600$ on the Eizo Foris FS2332 which uses lighter AG coating. I don't think the Eizo is worth it since it has nearly identical performance to the Asus but you might.

I will never buy a matte IPS panel again or recommend one to a friend due to the horrible AG coating and quality control. BTW all LCD monitors use either CCFL back-lighting or edge lite LED back-lighting, there is no such thing as an LED.

Which one is the IPS panel? left or right monitor?

Right

Look at the Samsung S24A850D, it is a PLS display=Samsungs version of IPS. The same back-lighting issues apply but it uses clear semi-glossy coating

NCX, would you recommend the Asus VG236HE, 23" 3D 120Hz LCD Monitor? No such thing as LED eh? Wow...what about the thinness that comes with LED?

Ok I picked up the Asus VG236HE, 23" 3D 120Hz LCD Monitor. Hands down, the best monitor I have ever used, period!

I picked up the pa238q a week back and promptly had it replaced because the monitor would emit this high pitched whine/hum when bringing the brightness level below 100. I just received my replacement and while not as bad as the first one, I still notice the sound. Makes me wonder if this is the norm with this model? Have you other owners noticed this? I found that it was mentioned in the prad.de review as well but apparently it was too feint of a sound on their test unit to actually be a bother. Not sure I want to go down this road of replacement lotto...

I picked up the pa238q a week back and promptly had it replaced because the monitor would emit this high pitched whine/hum when bringing the brightness level below 100. I just received my replacement and while not as bad as the first one, I still notice the sound. Makes me wonder if this is the norm with this model? Have you other owners noticed this? I found that it was mentioned in the prad.de review as well but apparently it was too feint of a sound on their test unit to actually be a bother. Not sure I want to go down this road of replacement lotto...

Hey, it never happen to the model I've got.

thanks tor the input think I'll try one more unit before giving up on this model completely

I set my brightness to 0 but mine also never had any noise at any level.

FYI, PA238Q uses the same panel as Dell U2312HM which has many reports of buzzing sound. So I think it is a common problem for this particular panel (dang it, LG!).

Keep replacing it until you get the right panel.

I set my brightness to 0 but mine also never had any noise at any level.

FYI, PA238Q uses the same panel as Dell U2312HM which has many reports of buzzing sound. So I think it is a common problem for this particular panel (dang it, LG!).

Keep replacing it until you get the right panel.

Thanks for that .. good info. Sucks. The one I have on hand has barely any backlight bleed .. and backlight bleed seems to be the more common problem with this model. The sound seems to vary depending on the brightness .. none at 100, most audible at 60-80, minimal at 25-30 .. can't really hear it if there's ambient sound around. Ah well I'll give it one more shot and call it a night.

I got the chance to test another piece (of PA238Q). Although first was very good, this second had really terrible backlight uniformity and catastrophic bleeding. What more, there was high frequency buzzing with brightness under 95 %! You can check the photo in the dark room and uniformity measurings:
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/druhy-monitor-lepsi-sonda-jak-se-lisi-kusy-lcd
(you can use Google Translate from Czech to your language – there are some tests with i1 Display 3 Pro (in the time of full PA238Q's review I had only i1 Display 2))

Btw, second sample of Asus PA246Q was fine (similar to first, more info on the next page of the above linked article)

Just picked up this monitor today, open box for $250CDN @ Canadacomputers.com in Whitby, ON. I have no idea what the problem could've been.

I'm very impressed with it though. Played through about two hours of Portal 2 (finally finished it :p) and liked it a a lot; The monitor and the ending of Portal 2. heh

No bleeding, no tearing, vivid colours. Checked for dead pixels and this monitor wont be going back.

For $250 bucks, I feel like I stole this thing. :D

Finally my 2GB 6950 Toxic has something worthy of driving.

What is coincidence, I got it at the CanadaComputers on Ajax, ON. But I think you have to compare it to something to know how good it is.

I'm still deciding if I should return it. I plan to use it as a secondary monitor.

I already have a Dell Ultrasharp 2709 27" S-PVA monitor and it has great black depth and present detail in dark pictures.

I've compared the Asus with my Ultrasharp S-PVA and clearly the blacks on the IPS are significantly inferior to the PVA. But the input lag is notability faster on the IPS.

But in movies with dark scenes, the IPS is embarrassing against my S-PVA.

There is Black Crush (link) from at the 3rd square. (is this normal for IPS?) Whereas all squares are distinguishable on the Dell 2709 S-PVA.

Also the Gradient (banding) is visible on the Asus IPS compared to the Dell S-PVA.

So I'm wondering if I should return the Asus IPS for the Benq PVA since IPS are so disappointing with movies and such.

What is coincidence, I got it at the CanadaComputers on Ajax, ON. But I think you have to compare it to something to know how good it is.

I'm still deciding if I should return it. I plan to use it as a secondary monitor.

I already have a Dell Ultrasharp 2709 27" S-PVA monitor and it has great black depth and present detail in dark pictures.

I've compared the Asus with my Ultrasharp S-PVA and clearly the blacks on the IPS are significantly inferior to the PVA. But the input lag is notability faster on the IPS.

But in movies with dark scenes, the IPS is embarrassing against my S-PVA.

There is Black Crush (link) from at the 3rd square. (is this normal for IPS?) Whereas all squares are distinguishable on the Dell 2709 S-PVA.

Also the Gradient (banding) is visible on the Asus IPS compared to the Dell S-PVA.

So I'm wondering if I should return the Asus IPS for the Benq PVA since IPS are so disappointing with movies and such.

The BenQ VA panels are far, far slower than the 2709W in terms of pixel response. It's too bad because their input lag is not bad.

I've had both and can say don't bother.

Since you've had both, pixel response aside, how are the Benq PVAs compared to the Asus IPS?

At the very least, would you say the Benq PVA can beat the Asus IPS at black depth and be similar color performance at straight viewing angles?

There is high frequency noise on the PA238Q on brightness below 100. Think it'll be returned. :(

Yeah, I'm coming from a 20" LG TN panel from like 6 years ago. :p

edit: shit's cash on my end! Some bleeding and hotspots when the monitor is just black without signal but man does it ever look good otherwise.

I skim past most of the science in this here thread, mind you :D

Last edited:
damn, 2nd monitor has it the annoying buzz on brightness under 100, too. :mad:

I am SOOOO F***ing tired of this.

And so does the 3rd one, except this one also comes with a bonus of obvious light bleed.

Wow, Asus really dropped the ball on this model.:(

Since you've had both, pixel response aside, how are the Benq PVAs compared to the Asus IPS?

At the very least, would you say the Benq PVA can beat the Asus IPS at black depth and be similar color performance at straight viewing angles?

The BenQ EW/VW2420 kill any IPS in terms of black levels on and off angle. Even though the BenQ's black levels would rise slightly at angles and turn blue/cold, they are still excellent.

The pixel response is a shame though. Take a window with a white background and move it around at an average speed and the edges looked transparent, that's how bad it was.

Almost as much of a shame as the PA238Q quality control. Too bad. So much potential here.

went through 3 of these pa238q's as well and like i and others after me reported, this last one also has a buzzing/whistling/humming sound on lower brightness levels. backlight bleed wasn't bad on the last 2, but i'm officially giving up on this model. it really is a shame, good monitor otherwise.

Finally gave up on this model. Then went for a BenQ BL2400PU which is on sale at CanadaComputers for $199 from $250, and I must say, I've never been more satisfied by a monitor at this price point.

Blacks are superb thanks to the trusty VA panel technology, colors are vibrant, response rate is noticeably faster than my Dell Ultrasharp 2709. And there's also overdrive to make it even faster.

Reviews say this monitor can calibrate accurately.

Finally something good at ~200-300 dollars!

Back